14-Dec-2010 - Damage Soaking and New Hitsplats

Michael

With this latest update' date=' the damage soaking ability has been added to much of RuneScapes armour, which means they will also now absorb a percentage of any damage you receive over 200 life points. Previously, only three Dungeoneering rewards had this ability (the farseer, eagle-eye and chaotic kiteshields), but it has been applied to many other shields, headgear, body and leg armour, in all three combat disciplines.

This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so youll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.

All armour stat tables in the Game Guide have been updated with this new information, so you might wish to take a look there first. Most of these tables are found in the Skills category (particular in Magic, Melee and Ranged), but there are also some found in the Combat, Activities and Miscellaneous Guides categories.

To complement this update and provide further feedback during combat, you'll find we've also made extensive changes to the hitsplat system, as we first mentioned in the Damage Control blog.

The main features of the new hitsplats are:

* New animated hitsplat graphics.

* Damage type is now displayed next to the hitsplat to help identify what damage you are taking - melee, ranged, magic - and hence what prayer/curse might help reduce or prevent the damage.

* Further damage types you can now distinguish between cannon, deflected and other damage (e.g. desert heat, dragon breath).

* Max hit splats if you hit your max hit (or above it via use of special attacks) you'll see a different, more vibrant hitsplat that will show off your combat ability.

* Faded splats any damage caused or taken by either you or your familiar will be shown by a vibrantly coloured hitsplat. Any damage caused or taken by other players will be shown by a faded hitsplat. This allows you to see what damage you are taking or dealing if you are in a group, so now you'll really know if you were the big damage dealer in your group!

* If your armour helps you soak damage, you'll have another splat displayed alongside the damage, so you can see how much each hit has been reduced by.

Mod Chris L

RuneScape Content Developer

In other news...

Duke Horacio has realised that players may want to have multiple anti-dragon shields, so will now offer another shield to any who ask.

[/quote']

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game' date=' please use the Bug Report feature ('Submit a Bug Report' under the 'Help' drop-down menu of the website).

Graphical

* The tightrope in the circus has been lowered slightly so it doesn't have a gap.

* Players will no longer disappear if hit by aquanites while wearing certain gear.

* Flickering issues in the Brimhaven Agility Arena have been fixed.

* Goblin teleport spheres now look different in a player's inventory.

* Players will no longer have hair sticking through their hats on logging in.

* The Myths of the White Lands ice area no longer flickers.

* The Saradomin prayer book has had the star on the cover returned.

* Pyramid Plunder gold seals have had their detail returned.

* Blue berets now render correctly with the short hair and fringe hairstyle.

* The minimap around Keldagrim has been updated to not show some wall edges.

* Swamp water has been updated in Soul Wars and the swamp east of Sophanem.

* The Elemental Workshop water tank now displays correctly in OpenGL and DirectX modes.

* The animation for two-handed swords has been updated.

* The punk hairstyle no longer sticks through hats.

* Revenant goblin heads no longer move strangely.

Quests and Tasks

* The Monkey See, Monkey Do music track during Do No Evil will now unlock on logging in if a player has progressed beyond that point in the quest.

* Several In Search of the Myreque typos have been fixed.

* The explorer's ring now gives warnings if trying to cast an Alchemy spell on a high value item.

* The "Altar-ed State" Task now correctly lists 95 Prayer as a requirement.

* The Ardougne Elite Task rewards now correctly list Bert for collecting sand.

* The Falador squire will now talk about the Falador Task rewards.

* The requirements for the "A Meal Fit for a Duke" Task have been corrected.

* The Varrock Tasks no longer refer to battelstaves.

* The Fremennik Tasks have had "Fremmenik" typos fixed.

* Equipping the relevant claws now completes the "Temper, Temper" and "Not What We Mean by Irony" Tasks.

Activities and Distractions

* The circus map icon will now be located in the correct place.

* Performing emotes while trying to begin a duel will no longer give a confusing message about incorrect equipped items.

Miscellaneous

* The German Report Abuse interface will now show a player's full display name.

* The Bind, Snare and Entangle spells will once again work on implings.

* Chat above a players head when wearing the cyclopean helm is now lowered.

* There will now be a more descriptive message when receiving seeds from jadinkos.

* Mithril seeds can no longer be planted in the Herblore Habitat.

* Destroying a Battered Tome no longer refers to Crumbling Tomes.

* Pet chameleons now remember their colour more often when being called.

* Clue scrolls now refer to adamant armour instead of adamantite.

* The ghost in Port Phasmatys no longer gets confused about whether you have a ghostspeak amulet equipped or not.

* Wiley cats will now talk to players if they're wearing a cramulet.

* Advisor Ghrim now understands what "No" means when deciding not to collect resources.

* Kuradal no longer gives aquanite tasks to players who have recently switched Slayer masters.

* It is no longer possible to hide the Dungeoneering banker underneath a marker plant.

[/quote']

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this latest update, the damage soaking ability has been added to much of RuneScapes armour, which means they will also now absorb a percentage of any damage you receive over 200 life points. Previously, only three Dungeoneering rewards had this ability (the farseer, eagle-eye and chaotic kiteshields), but it has been applied to many other shields, headgear, body and leg armour, in all three combat disciplines.

This ability has been added in line with the combat triangle, so youll find that magic armour is generally better at soaking melee damage, for instance. Also, how much damage you can soak is cumulative based on all the armour you have equipped, which should add an extra dimension to choosing what combat gear you wear.

All armour stat tables in the Game Guide have been updated with this new information, so you might wish to take a look there first. Most of these tables are found in the Skills category (particular in Magic, Melee and Ranged), but there are also some found in the Combat, Activities and Miscellaneous Guides categories.

To complement this update and provide further feedback during combat, you'll find we've also made extensive changes to the hitsplat system, as we first mentioned in the Damage Control blog.

The main features of the new hitsplats are:

New animated hitsplat graphics.

Damage type is now displayed next to the hitsplat to help identify what damage you are taking - melee, ranged, magic - and hence what prayer/curse might help reduce or prevent the damage.

Further damage types you can now distinguish between cannon, deflected and other damage (e.g. desert heat, dragon breath).

Max hit splats if you hit your max hit (or above it via use of special attacks) you'll see a different, more vibrant hitsplat that will show off your combat ability.

Faded splats any damage caused or taken by either you or your familiar will be shown by a vibrantly coloured hitsplat. Any damage caused or taken by other players will be shown by a faded hitsplat. This allows you to see what damage you are taking or dealing if you are in a group, so now you'll really know if you were the big damage dealer in your group!

If your armour helps you soak damage, you'll have another splat displayed alongside the damage, so you can see how much each hit has been reduced by.

Mod Chris L

RuneScape Content Developer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news...

Duke Horacio has realised that players may want to have multiple anti-dragon shields, so will now offer another shield to any who ask

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

Very neat update.

I just wonder if it also shows the damage blocked by protection prayers though. That would be pretty neat.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

For some reason, I can't seem to find the damage soaking stats of any armors. <_<

neither can I :P - seems they haven't updated the KB yet?

But this update has the potentional to completely make over all known armour types for each monster (more lower hits is generally better, so you might want to go for another armour type to prevent ko potentional despite it giving less defense)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

For some reason, I can't seem to find the damage soaking stats of any armors. <_<

neither can I :P - seems they haven't updated the KB yet?

So it would seem. Considering that they actually direct us to the KB from the main article FOR THE PURPOSE OF LOOKING UP THE DAMAGE SOAKING STATS, I'd say that's pretty [developmentally delayed]ed on Jagex's part.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Not bad- full rune(4 items) soaks 20% range 9% melee, interested to see what the max soaks for different classes are, and particularly soaks on spirit shields.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Nor can i :\

If you want to soak up all those Chaotic rapiers and mauls as well as that bigass Godsword coming at you. Wear some mystic robes.

Yeah this is kind of funny. Gonna grab me some mystic robes and pk :D

My DK's setup now soaks 19% range and 9% melee.TAKE THAT SUPREME@@@

How did you find the soak stats?

i cant find any in the KB

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

Not bad- full rune(4 items) soaks 20% range 9% melee, interested to see what the max soaks for different classes are, and particularly soaks on spirit shields.

The percentage seems nice but ... then again it soaks only 200+ hits ?

Yup

Kree arra's max magic hit is 210. Let's assume that using the best equipment for him gives you 100%* soak (hell yeah ...) that will reduce the .. huge amount of .. 10 damage.

*I used 100% for the epicness of it.

EDIT: At least at corp with 30% ranged reduction you can soak 150 dmg .. which is actually good.

Yup

Kree arra's max magic hit is 210. Let's assume that using the best equipment for him gives you 100%* soak (hell yeah ...) that will reduce the .. huge amount of .. 10 damage.

Yeah but its free and for bosses that hit really hard like jad its reasonably significant.

My DK's setup now soaks 19% range and 9% melee.TAKE THAT SUPREME@@@

How did you find the soak stats?

i cant find any in the KB

You can log on and check under the equipment interface.

Ok, thanks. I guess ill have to wait until the new updates are downloaded before i can log in to see then.

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

Yup

EDIT: At least at corp with 30% ranged reduction you can soak 150 dmg .. which is actually good.

Well I'm not sure if it soaks the damage ABOVE 200 damage or starts soaking damage once you're hit above 200 (but soaks based on all damage)!

But since soak is added linearly (it seems) this means that soaking is much, much better in high values than actual defense (defense value reduces, a lot once you block most hits!)

EDIT: defenders give 0% soak....

same for lightweight outfit!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.