14-Dec-2010 - Damage Soaking and New Hitsplats

Michael

Also an amazing discovery I made during quests: all those both monster who "attack with XX, but you can only partially pray" simply have half (? or some other percentage) of their damage done in another stat. The last boss of do no evil for example used range + magic combo.

This is usefull for picking outfits (tip it guide says it uses only magic, which made it seem mage pray + mage armour is best - however as I experienced myself and no actually saw best would be to have anti range armour with mage pray).

Um, no? The final boss of the new monkey quest has a different mechanic.

He is the only boss to attack with 2 styles at the same time, not only that, but he also shifts the pwoer of each style accordingly. Like, when he hits 300's with magic, he hits 5~ with Ranged and so on. The gimmick is, as the battle unfolds, the power of one decreases as the other one increases, so at times protect from magic is best while at other Protect from missiles is the optimal choice.

Or so i noticed it during my battle with it, i could be wrong :unsure:

OT: I hope this brings a new high level smithing update to make soaking specific armour, with high stats aswell. I was kind of disapointed for Defence itself not giving any kind of boost. I could see 99 defence giving a permanent 10-20~ish % soaking bonus on all kinds of defence.

no: it also happened with the first and 2nd boss (though I forgot the types it used)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no: it also happened with the first and 2nd boss (though I forgot the types it used)

Probably Magic + Melee on the first and Range + Melee on the second.

I'm gonna lay what I think out on the table:

Great idea, very little creativity in execution. Hardly the kind of stuff that makes, 'a huge addition to the Defence skill and defensive equipment'. (Jagex, December 2010)

Just got to thinking, as the only real monster that suffers from this update is corp and his attack is ridiculously high, wouldn't wearing a mixture of soaking equipment or mage armor be the best now? The most significant damage corp does is melee and mage, while using only karils will not soak melee and only using bandos will not soak magic, where as using bcp+karil skirt would fix some of that, or even better, wearing ahrims skirt+top would help tremendously, aswell. Any idea on how to estimate this impact?

You pray melee vs corp and wear Karil's, this update won't change that.

10xy5fk.png

Also an amazing discovery I made during quests: all those both monster who "attack with XX, but you can only partially pray" simply have half (? or some other percentage) of their damage done in another stat. The last boss of do no evil for example used range + magic combo.

This is usefull for picking outfits (tip it guide says it uses only magic, which made it seem mage pray + mage armour is best - however as I experienced myself and no actually saw best would be to have anti range armour with mage pray).

Um, no? The final boss of the new monkey quest has a different mechanic.

He is the only boss to attack with 2 styles at the same time, not only that, but he also shifts the pwoer of each style accordingly. Like, when he hits 300's with magic, he hits 5~ with Ranged and so on. The gimmick is, as the battle unfolds, the power of one decreases as the other one increases, so at times protect from magic is best while at other Protect from missiles is the optimal choice.

Or so i noticed it during my battle with it, i could be wrong :unsure:

OT: I hope this brings a new high level smithing update to make soaking specific armour, with high stats aswell. I was kind of disapointed for Defence itself not giving any kind of boost. I could see 99 defence giving a permanent 10-20~ish % soaking bonus on all kinds of defence.

Yup all 3 bosses did it and it did alter which was most powerful as Dem said

All 3 definitely seemed to be using mage in the projectile.

Guess we can find out for sure now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

A few preliminary Figures:

Bandos Chestplate: +9% Range, +4% Melee

Neitiznot Helm: +2% Melee +4% Range

Obby shield: +11% Range +5% Melee

Dragon Square: +11% Range +5% Melee

3rd Age Kite: +11% Range, +5% Melee

Rune Plate: +3% Melee, +6% Range

Rune Legs: +2% Melee, +4% Range

Rune Kite: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Rune Full Helm: +1% Melee, +3% Range

Rune Chain: +3% Melee, +6% Range

Rune Square: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Torag/Guthan/Verac/Dharok's Helm: +2% Melee, +5% Range

Torag/Guthan/Verac/Dharok's Skirt/legs: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Torag/Guthan/Dharok's Plate: +5% Melee, +10% Range

Mystic/Dagon'hai Robebottom: +2% Melee, +1% Magic

Mystic/Dagon'hai Robetop: +3% Melee, +1% Magic

SPIRIT SHIELDS: NO SOAK (except for Div/Ely's obviously)

DRAGONFIRE SHIELD: NO SOAK!

Will keep updating this list.

Looks like OBBY SHIELDS are the biggest winner out of this, I managed to get 10 before they were bought out...

Last night I bought 500 obby shields just to flip, looks like I made a good decision :thumbsup: Bought at 183k, min, yesterday, and they sold for max, 197k today. 8m profit overnight!!!

Considering you can only buy 10 every 4 hours, I would love it if you could tell me how you managed this.

Considering you can actually buy 100 every 4 hours, it was really easy...

EDIT: After thinking about this, I believe they changed the limits overnight. I had bought 200 earlier in the day, and had an offer for 350 more in. When I went to bed, 100 of the 350 had bought. When I woke up, 310 of the 350 had bought. This makes me think that during the update, the limits changed. I have a picture of 310 shields for proof if you need it.

2s0cxth.png

With this latest update' date=' the damage soaking ability has been added to much of RuneScapes armour, which means they will also now absorb a percentage of any damage you receive [b']over 200 life points.[/b]

So, who else expected Jagex to do something crappy like this? All this does is mess PvP up some more, and maybe save a brew dose or two on boss trips. WHOOP DE FRICKIN' DO.

Yes, I am madbro. I was actually hoping they wouldn't do the "herpderp over 200" thing again... but I expected them to anyways.

a70c7.png

i'd like to see negative soak values.

Suck values? :mrgreen:

Anyone else feel bad for Tip.it's Crewbies?

I do. Two gigantic updates like this in one year! Ouch.

Considering that the introduction of the weight-check option set us up for a massive re-check of the weight of many, many items (we're about halfway done atm...), I think we'll live through this one. Still, any information you guys post is appreciated. Please include screenshots if you can be bothered :)

Yep, the limit was 100 yesterday

2ue73t0.png

I don't think this will change anything drastically, but it's a good step on the way to balancing the combat triangle. (Which was the purpose, gj)

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

A few preliminary Figures:

Bandos Chestplate: +9% Range, +4% Melee

Neitiznot Helm: +2% Melee +4% Range

Obby shield: +11% Range +5% Melee

Dragon Square: +11% Range +5% Melee

3rd Age Kite: +11% Range, +5% Melee

Rune Plate: +3% Melee, +6% Range

Rune Legs: +2% Melee, +4% Range

Rune Kite: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Rune Full Helm: +1% Melee, +3% Range

Rune Chain: +3% Melee, +6% Range

Rune Square: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Torag/Guthan/Verac/Dharok's Helm: +2% Melee, +5% Range

Torag/Guthan/Verac/Dharok's Skirt/legs: +3% Melee, +7% Range

Torag/Guthan/Dharok's Plate: +5% Melee, +10% Range

Mystic/Dagon'hai Robebottom: +2% Melee, +1% Magic

Mystic/Dagon'hai Robetop: +3% Melee, +1% Magic

SPIRIT SHIELDS: NO SOAK (except for Div/Ely's obviously)

DRAGONFIRE SHIELD: NO SOAK!

Will keep updating this list.

Looks like OBBY SHIELDS are the biggest winner out of this, I managed to get 10 before they were bought out...

Last night I bought 500 obby shields just to flip, looks like I made a good decision :thumbsup: Bought at 183k, min, yesterday, and they sold for max, 197k today. 8m profit overnight!!!

Considering you can only buy 10 every 4 hours, I would love it if you could tell me how you managed this.

Considering you can actually buy 100 every 4 hours, it was really easy...

EDIT: After thinking about this, I believe they changed the limits overnight. I had bought 200 earlier in the day, and had an offer for 350 more in. When I went to bed, 100 of the 350 had bought. When I woke up, 310 of the 350 had bought. This makes me think that during the update, the limits changed. I have a picture of 310 shields for proof if you need it.

Yep, the limit was 100 yesterday

2ue73t0.png

I don't think this will change anything drastically, but it's a good step on the way to balancing the combat triangle. (Which was the purpose, gj)

1zb81hs.jpg

Here's my picture of the offer I had in overnight. I had them at the min price yesterday, which was about 183k. I guess I was just really lucky to put in an offer that big, and it sucks that I sold them already >.> I just turned them around before I read about the update when I woke up, so stupid of me. Anyways, I'm happy with 8m.

2s0cxth.png

With this latest update' date=' the damage soaking ability has been added to much of RuneScapes armour, which means they will also now absorb a percentage of any damage you receive [b']over 200 life points.[/b]

So, who else expected Jagex to do something crappy like this? All this does is mess PvP up some more, and maybe save a brew dose or two on boss trips. WHOOP DE FRICKIN' DO.

Yes, I am madbro. I was actually hoping they wouldn't do the "herpderp over 200" thing again... but I expected them to anyways.

The point of the update was mainly to reduce KO potential, and this update manages that perfectly. If you want better protection, get a divine.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The point of the update was mainly to reduce KO potential, and this update manages that perfectly. If you want better protection, get a divine.

Oh yes, get a divine. I'd so love to. If it wasn't 1 BILLION gp.

And yeah, they probably did the "herpderp over 200 thing" because they're afraid if they make soaking actually useful divine owners will rage. Just like they made barrows degrade because dragon armor owners raged.

Just got to thinking, as the only real monster that suffers from this update is corp and his attack is ridiculously high, wouldn't wearing a mixture of soaking equipment or mage armor be the best now? The most significant damage corp does is melee and mage, while using only karils will not soak melee and only using bandos will not soak magic, where as using bcp+karil skirt would fix some of that, or even better, wearing ahrims skirt+top would help tremendously, aswell. Any idea on how to estimate this impact?

idk, i'm kind of skeptical because of how low the soaks are

Ancient, I know its minimal. But free damage reduction is nice, even minor. I never expected it to be great. But still, it looks cool on paper :P

That's not what I meant :P

barrows items have better soak values in addition to better defense values (than bandos), so idk why people think bandos would go up

expecting a bandos crash, since tassets were already in a bubble for whatever reason

Range defense, far less loss to mage offense, prayer, and killing sup in 1-2 fewer hits all really help. Barrows isn't good for 2.5brid, TBH.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

idk, i'm kind of skeptical because of how low the soaks are

Ancient, I know its minimal. But free damage reduction is nice, even minor. I never expected it to be great. But still, it looks cool on paper :P

That's not what I meant :P

barrows items have better soak values in addition to better defense values (than bandos), so idk why people think bandos would go up

expecting a bandos crash, since tassets were already in a bubble for whatever reason

Range defense, far less loss to mage offense, prayer, and killing sup in 1-2 fewer hits all really help. Barrows isn't good for 2.5brid, TBH.

Bandos chestplate is better for 2.5 brid; tassets is marginally better or worse

Mage offense only applies to top

Verac has better prayer bonus

Was mainly talking about tassets :P

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Oh yes, get a divine. I'd so love to. If it wasn't 1 BILLION gp.

And yeah, they probably did the "herpderp over 200 thing" because they're afraid if they make soaking actually useful divine owners will rage. Just like they made barrows degrade because dragon armor owners raged.

Or maybe they did it because it made sense? They explicitly said the update was to benefit pvp, not pvm, thus why we have the 200 lp thing. The update accomplishes most of what it was set out to do without unbalancing things and making high priority items useless.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Or maybe they did it because it made sense? They explicitly said the update was to benefit pvp, not pvm, thus why we have the 200 lp thing. The update accomplishes most of what it was set out to do without unbalancing things and making high priority items useless.

I think it would do this game some good if ludicrously expensive items like the divine spirit shield were allowed to drop in price because there were actually viable alternatives.

And besides, consider if they did remove the threshold that the divine would still have a 30% reduction in ALL combat styles, whereas the armor only has it in two styles. And the divine is ONE item, wheras even the best of armor only adds up to 30 - 15 at best.

But granting that it might still be a bit overpowered, I'd be willing to support a lower threshold of maybe 100 or so. You know, something that mobs (and f2pers, let's not forget them) are actually capable of hitting.

These new armours could make Jad a bit easier.

No more 1 hit if you miss a prayer switch?

And Nomad as well ... The near 1 hit kill .. and 20% soaking .. that's ~-150 dmg.

Nomad special attavk is nothing based i think.

You cant avoid somethijg things, like dragonfire, fire from construction traps etc.

I'm 100% sure nomad special will still be max lp-1 even if you have 500% soak.

500% soak :blink:. You heal four times the damage over 200 :lol:. That'd make Jad so easy.

Negative soak would be fun I guess, but pretty contrary to the intention Jagex has regarding this update.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted