Maplestory's Big Bang Update

Bladewing

I recently installed MapleStory again (Last week?), but they are extremely region-biased. The Global MapleStory servers got The Big Bang Update this December like you said, but for anyone in the European region you won't see the big bang update for a while yet. (The Evan class was released the 15th of December, and there are a few more classes between this one and the Big Bang Update).

Global MapleStory is only available to people outside Northern America if you made your account before they blocked other regions from being able to get in-game. Obviously there are ways around the block, but I'm not sure on how to do it. I made an account back in 2007 before the block, but registered with an old e-mail and they closed the account due to inactivity. Waiting for a e-mail change request which will hopefully get through so I can test the big bang update.

-

OT though, Dungeoneering could potentially be compared to a "big bang" for combat. Negative bonuses for others stats then the armor's combat type. (Giving this to ALL armor).

If only they could release that without a wave of rage.

The changes to making exp easier I think they are doing, but in smaller steps and not a huge drop all at once. I also think tons of people would go berserk if Jagex increased exp of things.

Maybe if we had "party bosses" where you would enter an area together with people in your clan chat, and the area would be instanced to the people in the clan chat vs the monsters in the cave/area. Isn't that how they do it in MapleStory? (Atleast for party quests there, but I'm far from knowledgeable on that game. :P) Jagex have the technology to do it if they modify some of the dungeoneering code I would say.

I'm pro for Combat and Monster changes, I wouldn't like my exp being cut in half time-wise with one update however.

If so, do you think that reducing the number of hours players must devote to Runescape to achieve their goals would improve the quality of the game?

But it would make Jamflex less IRL gp.

With MMO's there are typically 2 types of game-play marketing strategies for "long term players".

1) The length of time to "max-out" is extremely long, in hopes players will get hooked on the cycle of obtaining the maximum levels. Games like Runescape follow this strategy in hopes that you play for a long long time to get levels.

2) The time to get "max levels" is relatively short, but players are kept around by lots of activities they can do at high levels.

It seams like MS is just switching from play-style #1 to #2. Jagex is likely adding new content to lower levels so that people get hooked thinking all levels get tons of content, and don't find out that high levels don't get much at all until its to late and they have invested years into the game. I cant see Jagex ever switching away from play-style #1.

I hear people complain about how the combat is still quite passive and unbalanced a lot more than how the levelling system is difficult. In my opinion, how levelling works is quite reasonable right now. I'll fully support a good overhaul of the stats of armour and weapons. Seeing what Jagex did with Dungeoneering items, they're clearly a lot more clued up about balanced systems now, but they're too scared to put that knowledge into practice on their older content.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Please try to get yourself in all possible persons who are playing runescape:

Take a look for example at the person who is "just" not ready to boss hunt (ie missing 1m herblore xp & cash for that) - Yet he really liked to bosshunt.

Now with the current system het spend around 700 hours on that achievement. - And he has 100-200 hours to go.

Now if such a "big bang" was incorporated, he would have 10 hours to go.. However all his 700 hours would become "void" and effectivelly worth 70 hours. - He wasn't able to reap any benefit from his long training yet when he was "almost there" the achievement was greatly reduced! - Those people will be hitted so hard by such an update that I don't think they'll really like to do anything afterwards regarding it. I wouldn't.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Please try to get yourself in all possible persons who are playing runescape:

Take a look for example at the person who is "just" not ready to boss hunt (ie missing 1m herblore xp & cash for that) - Yet he really liked to bosshunt.

Now with the current system het spend around 700 hours on that achievement. - And he has 100-200 hours to go.

Now if such a "big bang" was incorporated, he would have 10 hours to go.. However all his 700 hours would become "void" and effectivelly worth 70 hours. - He wasn't able to reap any benefit from his long training yet when he was "almost there" the achievement was greatly reduced! - Those people will be hitted so hard by such an update that I don't think they'll really like to do anything afterwards regarding it. I wouldn't.

this is why i think jagex changes exp pretty gradually

i mean if they decided to move fishing from 60-65k barbarian to 150k/hr alot of people that trained fish would think it was a waste

StarViv.png

I think jagex just likes to continuously big bang everything trough the years. They've already done all of the things that constitute a 'big bang' atleast 2-5 times for every skill.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

This point is exactly what separates the people from the far left, and the far right.

The people on the extreme left side feel that everything they did in the past is worth something, and because it took them 10 months to get 99 runecrafting everyone else should also endure the same pain.

People on the extreme right side feel like they want every update to make skills easier and quicker so they don't have to do things they don't enjoy for long, to reach things they do enjoy. Once they start doing something they enjoy, they could care less about the time spent to get there.

I sit on the right side, since I feel like I would rather have everyone in the game have all 99's in a year, then people who have to play for years and years grinding to only then achieve something that is "fun" 5 years down the road. I do not compare myself to other players and don't feel I am better than them because my rank/stats are better. Not everyone shares this opinion with me however.

Even IF one skill could be completed (1-99) in 30 days time, it would still take over 2 years to complete the entire game (not including 99-120 dungeon). At what point does the game turn from a gentle level game to a grindfest?

I don't expect Jagex to change their position on the fact that they want to keep players skilling for 5+ years. In-fact, I know they wont change it.

Okay first here's a caveat: YES, I know this is Runescape General Discussion, and YES, this topic IS about Runescape. Thanks.

Dec 07, 2010 - Maplestory experiences its largest update ever, dubbed "The Big Bang". This update made sweeping changes to the various parts of the game, most notably:

• Levelling - The required experience between levels was slashed: to level up, it now takes between 20% (at low levels) to 60% (at high levels) of the old required xp.
  • Combat System - An overhaul of the combat formulae, including accuracy, damage, and defence, in an attempt to rebalance players vs. monsters and bring the various classes closer to one another in ability.
  • Monsters - Monsters now drop useful but rare items more frequently, and there are more instanced dungeons to hunt specific monsters.

I had played Maplestory for a few months in like 2008 or something, and got to level 73 (which, for those of you unfamiliar with the game, is out of 200). I had grown tired of the game because the levelling process required too much of my time and was not variable enough to keep my interested. I revisited the game when someone told me it had such a huge overhaul, and in under 10 hours of game time reached level 85.

NOW, back to Runescape. I want to address the bullets above individually.

Levelling

To achieve 99 in a skill, a player must play between 40 and 400 hours, depending on the skill. Some say this is too much playtime to expect from a person to have access to the high level content. In particular, there is much debate about the requirements to get "max combat" and kill strong bosses like General Graardor and the Dagannoth Kings (which, starting on a level 3, would probably take by my estimation over 900 hours; being a skilled merchant would knock off about 180 hours). Could Jagex apply the "Big Bang" approach effectively in Runescape? If so, do you think that reducing the number of hours players must devote to Runescape to achieve their goals would improve the quality of the game?

Combat System

The balance (or arguably lack thereof) between the three styles of combat in Runescape has been the topic of heated complaints nearly since runescape's inception - from today's rapier and turmoil stretching back to yesteryear's magic shortbow or even earlier. Some classes are too accurate, and some classes have not enough defence; some classes are useless in PvM, and some classes individually are less powerful in PvP. Jagex has, historically, attempt to deal with balance issues on an update-to-update basis - changing a special attack here, introducing a new item there. Would a massive overhaul be more effective? Or should Jagex stick with its current approach?

Monsters

One needs only to have attempted to raid Bandos Godwars to know the frustration that is the result of overcrowding. Or to have slain abyssal demons on task before Kuradal's dungeon. Perhaps, through some combination of more common drops and more available training and boss hunting spots, Runescape could be improved; on the other hand, if items like Bandos armor pieces and dragon claws become increasingly common, "alternative" items like the proselyte chestplate + verac's skirt combo for slayer and dragon daggers could potentially become obsolete. What effects would this have, and would the game be improved?

Discuss. :roll:

I'm not so sure that the game needs a "big bang" to improve game play, per se. However, with respect to your points, in particular, I would have the following comments:

• Levelling - The required experience between levels was slashed: to level up, it now takes between 20% (at low levels) to 60% (at high levels) of the old required xp.

While I will acknowledge that the somewhat logarhythmic rate at which one must train in order to raise levels is rather unappealing after all, the amount of experience to raise any ONE skill from 96 to 99 is the same as raising another THREE skills to 74 I do not see exactly how it can be amended now without offending those players who already ground their way to maxing out said skills.

Combat System - An overhaul of the combat formulae, including accuracy, damage, and defence, in an attempt to rebalance players vs. monsters and bring the various classes closer to one another in ability.

I, for one, am agreeable that there needs to be an overhaul of the melee centric combat system in the game. While range is somewhat more powerful now and certainly more powerful than magic there has not been a reasonable upgrade to combat magicks since Desert Treasure. And yes I am deliberately discounting the various SURGE types of attacks which, although better than the former listing of standard magic attacks is clearly far too little and too late to be that effective.

It is long overdue to overhaul the magic side of the combat triangle perhaps adding some form of "ARCANE" and/or "SPIRIT" magic that could be added through a quest or series of quests that would consist of some new multi-target combat spells as well as some buffers and drainers which would level the playing field for prospective mages.

There are some necessary tweaks that are, likewise, necessary to improving mage which should likewise be included, namely:
  • Changing Spell Books: It's time to re-visit the manner in which a mage can and does alternate between spell books. Making us run all over hell's half acre to change from Ancients to Lunar and back to Standard is just plain sill, as compared to any ranger or meleer's ability to switch weapons at will.
  • Maintain spell selection after death: Can someone please explain the rationale as to why, upon death, our chosen auto-spell book selection gets wiped from the combat cycle?
  • New Armour and Weapons: Why can we make a wide variety of weapons for melee and range but not for magic?

[*]Monsters - Monsters now drop useful but rare items more frequently, and there are more instanced dungeons to hunt specific monsters.

How about this for a big bang update: new D&Ds to make herblore and prayer affordable for lower levels, and new bosses/90+ skill content for higher levels? All at once, for added kick The lack of a new boss monster in well over 2 years - on pace to be 3 if Jagex doesn't get something rolling - is what's stagnating the high-level game.

^This^ is seriously long overdue. Supposedly, Dungeoneering was Runescape's purported effort to assail this and supposedly other "high level" in game content, but I think that that has proven to be a failure. I am not saying that Dungeoneering itself is a failre, but I am saying that it has not provided the much needed "high level" content that the game really and truly needs.

If they really want to give Runescape a "Big Bang" how about getting their ass in gear and giving us some real honest-to-goodness high level content, like a SMITHING or CRAFTING or SOME OTHER UPDATE that would allow us to make better high level equipment for melee, range and mage, as well ?

How about they stop tinkering with unbroken game mechanics and start finishing off some of the in-game content like the Elf lands? Honestly how long HAS Prifddinas been sitting there idle?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

I think Jagex prefers nerfing training slowly but surely.

And I kinda support that.

A lot of Jagex employees actually look down on Grindy MMO's in spite of working for a company that makes one of the Grindier ones out there.

The only reason they haven't made runescape too much easier is because they know there's a large installed oldschool fanbase that would be very opposed to too much change too fast.

They tried to make Mechscape into a game with no skilling/level up system in an attempt to create a grindless MMO.

Unfortunately it didn't work out well when all was fleshed out, and that's the rumor as to why mechscape was scrapped.

Stuff like ancient effigies has nerfed leveling up pretty heavily.

But they won't nerf it too much, or too quickly.

The target goal of Jagex, as they stated, was that for every level up, there will be one quest.

So IF a player chooses to do 1 quest

Then train 1 skill up 1 level

then do 1 quest

then train another skill up 1 level

rinse repeat

They will be able to do so all the way to max total without running out of quests.

That is the end goal of Jagex for Runescape.

With the current number of skills in game that means we are at 170 quests/2496 quest goal of Jagex for Runescape, at least according to their interviews.

And while I expect Jagex to nerf grinding times more and more, I do not expect Jagex to lower grind times below 2500 hours to max out. As 1 hour in between quests seems like a reasonable amount of time.

Naaxi.png

perhaps slide the exp req for levels and increase the level cap, so that if you have lvl 99 you now have 120, keepin the lvl req's for actions the same and adding higher level content to the 99-120 gap?

Rune Tips Merchanting Site!

"rune tips cc" if you would like to learn some tricks of the merching trade! We have a great community as well.

Each of us a cell of awareness/Imperfect and incomplete/Genetic blends with uncertain ends/On a fortune hunt thats far too fleet

They can't even fill levels 1-99 with content, why should they go for 120?

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

@haa:

as said, what happens to those who spent hundreds of hours upon training for that 99?

Their achievements are suddenly voided!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Oh yes, and while I'm thinking of Maplestory, one thing I think Runescape could do similar is the bosses. Yes, there is a point at which a boss' HP gets ridiculous, which is clearly seen with some of the MS bosses having BILLIONS of HP; but Runescape's just don't have nearly enough.

I'd like to see some bosses in Runescape that could easily take a full inventory of brews to kill one of them for a group of level 138s with turm, OVLS ect. I'm talking 200,000 LP+ here. Possibly much more. None of Runescape's bosses feel like bosses.

They don't need to do ridiculous amounts of damage, but there needs to be more engaging boss mechanics involved, like having multiple forms for example. KQ attempts this but misses the point. The boss' second form is supposed to be MORE powerful. Not just a slight difference requiring an equally slight variation in tactics. Nomad makes an attempt with some relatively interesting mechanics, but ultimately he is very predictable which pretty much kills him after you've figured out his very definite attack cycle.

Honestly, I think Jagex should just have some of the Damonheim bosses "escape" into the regular world; muck around with their stats so it IS a challenge for a group of 138s with overloads and chaotics. Even divines. Give them some good drops, and keep the whole "instanced with max of 5 people thing."

Frankly, I wonder if a "Big Ban" is the only way to fix the combat triangle. I think that might be what it needs. Melee is overpowered, uses 2 skills, melee can use ranged gear for an easy counter to mages...

Mages need runes to cast their VERY powerful spells (some of them anyways), their damage depends not on their level but the spell, the spell you cast depends on boosted level, not current level....

Frankly, if this big bang were to happen to the combat triangle, I think ranged would stay mostly the same, except for ranged gear giving worse and worse melee bonuses the higher level you are, or melee accuracy becoming significantly dependent on armour. Melee would just be toned down...attack style weaknesses would become much more important... I also think fixing the combat triangle would involve changing up monsters quite a bit, so there as some monsters you want to ranged, some mage and some melee. Not 90% melee and the other 10% range/mage.

I'm less sure on the exp idea for RS, frankly I think a smarter way is to just slowly increase the amount of exp you can get... On the other hand, taking years to get a great account might not be the best plan. From a buisness standpoint it's great though; and if you have lots of content at the lower levels...

[*]Combat System - An overhaul of the combat formulae, including accuracy, damage, and defence, in an attempt to rebalance players vs. monsters and bring the various classes closer to one another in ability.

I, for one, am agreeable that there needs to be an overhaul of the melee centric combat system in the game. While range is somewhat more powerful now and certainly more powerful than magic there has not been a reasonable upgrade to combat magicks since Desert Treasure. And yes I am deliberately discounting the various SURGE types of attacks which, although better than the former listing of standard magic attacks is clearly far too little and too late to be that effective.

It is long overdue to overhaul the magic side of the combat triangle perhaps adding some form of "ARCANE" and/or "SPIRIT" magic that could be added through a quest or series of quests that would consist of some new multi-target combat spells as well as some buffers and drainers which would level the playing field for prospective mages.

Erm, what about the damage boosts? You know, SoL/Chaotic Staff, Arcane stream, etc.

I think the reason DG didn't end up being the end-game content that Jagex wanted it to buy is because of how removed it is from the rest of the game... Hence why I think they need to move some of those boss monsters to other places.

Exp rates, over time exp rates get faster and faster, more and more new content, etc.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

oh good. the xp curves in maplestory were ridiculous. i payed for like a month when i lost rs membs and only got to like lvl 35.

as far as cb re-balancing, i think the small tweak approach is like a glacier: slow, but slowly working.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

I think if there were more things to do that lasted longer than five minutes (as in your attention span), and less time spent obsessing about stats, then it would be a lot easier to pull the exp curve down into a more realistic scale.

Or maybe, just maybe, pull our expectations down into a more realistic scale, to the point where you don't need maxed levels to do the things that people hate doing while they're waiting for the things they actually want to do.

8f14270694.jpg

[*]Combat System - An overhaul of the combat formulae, including accuracy, damage, and defence, in an attempt to rebalance players vs. monsters and bring the various classes closer to one another in ability.

I, for one, am agreeable that there needs to be an overhaul of the melee centric combat system in the game. While range is somewhat more powerful now – and certainly more powerful than magic – there has not been a reasonable upgrade to combat magicks since Desert Treasure. And yes – I am deliberately discounting the various SURGE types of attacks which, although better than the former listing of standard magic attacks is clearly far too little and too late to be that effective.

It is long overdue to overhaul the magic side of the combat triangle – perhaps adding some form of "ARCANE" and/or "SPIRIT" magic that could be added through a quest or series of quests – that would consist of some new multi-target combat spells as well as some buffers and drainers which would level the playing field for prospective mages.

Erm, what about the damage boosts? You know, SoL/Chaotic Staff, Arcane stream, etc.

Oh sure, they did provide a few things to "boost" mage. But they likewise boosted range and melee at the same time. That's not "balancing" the combat triangle.

And yes -- I know -- "they're trying" ... :rolleyes:

As I said above, it's time to oblige us with some new magicks -- and a way to inter-connect the magicks better. In the old D&D manuals, if you froze something, and then hit it with fire, you added a certain multiplier to your damage. In this game, you cannot co-mingle magicks -- and it's even MORE limited in Dunge, which is downright stupid. Really.

It's time to update magic -- and I don't mean just "patch" it, but completely overhaul it:

1. Add new and decent armours -- including as GODWARS set;

2. Add new magicks: Arcane and Spirit magic immediately come to mind;

3. Add the ability to switch or co-mingle magicks ...

This is LONG overdue.

nyuseg.png

I would love to see range and magic viable, but, considering how they are attempting to balance things(Tissue paper reflects cannonballs, but cannonballs go through solid steel), I doubt anything like this will happen.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?