Tip.It Times - 19th December 2010

Racheya

I am commenting on the article: Its Just About the Gaming Experience (all about the money)

I understand where the writer is coming from, but I don't think the writer went far enough. Jagex is a company that wants...dare I say...MONEY. Yet they fall short, in my opinion, of keeping their word to the player community. They have shown they are willing to go to great extremes in ensuring paying memberships. Look at this year's Golden Joystik Award bulletins and subsequent voting compared to last year's phenomenal outcome. This year, too, Jagex offers players a "reward" for making them the winner, basically a "pay-off" of sorts to help ensure a winning turn out for next year's voting, imho.

Then there was the Dragon Scimitar graphic "upgrade" Poll. They kept the actualy numbers hidden, and I believe it was because they had already decided on which "upgrade" would be implemented regardless the final tally of the voting. And, of course, there is the current fiasco of this sham of a "vote" to reinstate the Wilderness and Free Trade. I believe wholeheartedly, that Jagex has already made up their minds on the matter, and this "voting" is nothing more than a PR stunt to reclaim the attention of players that have since left the game. It does not take much to see the process being used to illicit player response is both invalid and completely biased. But, I digress...

I have never played Castle wars, but I did feel for those that do when Jagex decided to make their "upgrade" to it which fell quite short of the mark for those hoping for a better gameplay. I read a great many posts from those that were outright enraged by what can only be called a disasterous Update.

What I am often fond of saying about Jagex is that they should replace "quantity" with a more practical "quality" approach to implementing Updates to the game. they seem more interested in flooding us with new content every month rather than making said content more "glitch free" and enjoyable...albeit even playable without the need for fixes and patches. I long for the day when they release an Update that does not require tweaking to actually be played and enjoyed.

Quote: A central question here is how well Jagex knows their player-base. Do they know their own game? Do they play their own game? But oh-so-much-more-importantly: do they play their own game like their high level players do? I think we can all answer the last question with a resounding Obviously not.

No truer words were ever spoken regarding Jagex, imo. I have played the game since 2001, and I do indeed recall a time, before Jagex was even formed, when player's views were taken to heart by developers Paul & Andrew. Back then, there was a "sense" of belonging to a gaming community that LISTENED to players and was more interested in producing quality Updates, as opposed to the current way things are run.

My intent is not to necessarily "bash" Jagex, but instead just tell it like I, and others, see it. Instead of blowing smoke up are backsides with their "political correct" talk, they should instead listen to what players need, desire, and can actually enjoy. Instead of hiding behind their PR rhetoric, they should just tell us players the truth about where they intend to take the game...and why. We do not need more smoke and mirrors, what we need is for Jagex to keep their word when they speak, follow through on their promises rather than change their minds midstream, and to return to making the game FUN ( as opposed to just throwing content at us month after month as a way of appeasing the masses by overloading our senses). My views only, and no disrespect intended to anyone.

Thank you! The article was a great read for me, and fantastic food for thought.

:thumbsup:

I most distinctly recall seeing the votes for the dragon scimitar o_o plus, I'm pretty sure that version was the most popular either way. Also, as of now, Jagex has explained the wilde poll and put in one where you vote yay or nay and log in and everything.

Although, I think it'd've been a good idea, when the wilde and free trade was removed, to explain why. They didn't seem to do a good job. As best as I can piece out, it's because RWT was linked to credit card fraud, as the RWT wanted membership accounts; the credit card companies got annoyed at all the credit card fraud associated with RS and threatened to quit supporting memberships, which would have killed RS.

Although, it'd be nice if they actually upfront told us that, rather then letting people infer it; or, assuming that's wrong, tell us what really did happen. They didn't go into detail, but I think the worse thing was the BTS that month; hey, look, GE, duel arena tournaments, revenants! Oh, we never mentioned we're taking PK'ing outta the wilde, and removing free trade as well as staking. Yeaaaaah.....

I dunno, I felt cynical at first about this new wilde/trade things, with my thoughts ranging from it being them already deciding to implement it, to it being a publicity stunt; but, from what I've seen now, I think it's honestly just a poll for it, started off by a petition of sorts to both gauge people's interest and gain publicity with people who quit RS when the wilde and free trade left. I actually saw an add about the petition on another site o_o

I have to admit though, a lot of what I've seen is actually something I think Mark said in a cc. It'd be nice to see an official announcement about it somewhere, rather then piecing it together from what I've heard from other players.

Hmm, looking back on that, not sure where I was going with it >.<

EDIT: To above poster (forgot to include this >..)

He's the #1 free player, as in the free player with the highest total levels. He was at one point the only maxed free player, then maybe more free players got maxed, idk. I say "was" because a maxed free player also has 120 DG, which he - quite understandably lol - doesn't have yet. At least that I'm aware of.

And that's about all I know of him lol /End Edit.

And

Merry Christmas!

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

He's the #1 free player, as in the free player with the highest total levels. He was at one point the only maxed free player, then maybe more free players got maxed, idk. I say "was" because a maxed free player also has 120 DG, which he - quite understandably lol - doesn't have yet. At least that I'm aware of.

Hahah, thanks for replying in a simple way! He sounds pretty cool. I'm sorry I have to ask this, but what does 'DG' stand for..?

Hahah, thanks for replying in a simple way! He sounds pretty cool. I'm sorry I have to ask this, but what does 'DG' stand for..?

Dungeoneering :)

24bjlt2.png

-new channel-

And to your other question:

A fremennik is a "tribe" of humans that live north of Kandarin (even north of Seer's village)...

The town of Rellekka is their capitol and their people have expanded (and even cut ties with the original clan) around Gielenor... Barbarians also descend from the Fremenniks...

They are thought to be the first humans to settle this world...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Eight years and still a noob

That brought back fond memories of my own start in Runescape. I might not have made as much progress in the quite considerable time I've played but I do still enjoy it very much. Thanks for the enjoyable read.

bramady2xg.jpg

Ha! RS name is Bramady. Yell gidday if you see her as she's probably just risen from the dead or heading off to die. Blimmin cat should stay home....out of trouble. And that nice Mr Pup found her again. Ain't he choice!

Dungeoneering :)

OHHHHH!!!! Should've known. xP

Thanks!

And to your other question:

A fremennik is a "tribe" of humans that live north of Kandarin (even north of Seer's village)...

The town of Rellekka is their capitol and their people have expanded (and even cut ties with the original clan) around Gielenor... Barbarians also descend from the Fremenniks...

They are thought to be the first humans to settle this world...

So... is Fremennik like an ethnic group? And what's Gielenor?

Not neccisarily an ethic group, but yeah I can see how that can be interpreted as such...

They are humans, but consider themselves a different people than, say, the ones from Ardounge... The difference is mostly culturally...

And Gielenor is the world on which RuneScape happens...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Not neccisarily an ethic group, but yeah I can see how that can be interpreted as such...

They are humans, but consider themselves a different people than, say, the ones from Ardounge... The difference is mostly culturally...

And Gielenor is the world on which RuneScape happens...

Since they're different culturally.. and the definition of ethnicity is the set of cultural characteristics that distinguishes one group from another group...

Hahah, I'm confused again. They're just their own people and mainly live in Rellekka? Is that it?

I wonder why I've never heard of 'Gielenor' until now..

This is making me feel so dumb, but thanks so much for tryin' to explain all this to me! :)