Editorial Panel Recruitment Drive

Editorial Panel Recruitment Drive

09916b2f69.png

05 January 2011 - APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED

• Thank you to everyone who applied :) The recruitment drive has now ended. Even if you were not accepted or missed the chance to apply, you can still participate as a guest author. Write an article and submit it to any Editorial Panel member (such as myself,
Racheya or Mirror). If we like your article, it will likely be published in the Tip.it Times. Impress us enough times and we may extend an invitation to you to join the Editorial Panel as a full time author!

About The Editorial Panel

• The Editorial Panel is a group of users dedicated to writing articles for and editing the
Tip.it Times and we are recruiting! We are looking for talented writers, opinionated users, people with unique RuneScape ideas/thoughts, and editors! You don't have to be an incredible writer to join the team because our editors will proofread your articles for spelling, grammar, organization and flow. We're looking for people who can stir discussion, provoke thought and encourage debate. So even if you don't normally find yourself writing articles but often create threads to discuss ideas and issues in General Discussion, this may be the job for you! :thumbsup:

About The Job

• This is a volunteer, non-paying job.
  • Authors and editors are typically given an assignment once a month, for which they must meet their deadline.
  • Editorial Panel members' work is published for hundreds of users to read, discuss and enjoy!

Available Positions

[hide=Positions]

• Author

• Tip.it Times authors are responsible for writing editorial and/or fictional articles related to the RuneScape game. The authors are placed on a monthly schedule for releasing articles. Editorial articles should be blog-like, controversial, original, interesting and thought provoking. They reflect your personal opinions (or what you notice that other peoples' opinions are) about RuneScape updates, features or general happenings. Fictional writers create stories that occur in a RuneScape setting. Stories should be engaging, exciting and related to the game. All authors must be able to accept constructive criticism from both their team members before the article is released and from the Tip.it community after the article is published.

Word count for articles is flexible, but is expected to be a minimum of about 600 words.

Editor

• Editors are very important parts of the Editorial Panel. They are responsible for reading, editing and commenting on articles before they are published. They review articles for accuracy, quality, spelling and grammatical errors. As such, they are required to have good writing skills and knowledge of grammatical rules. Editors are also encouraged to comment on and critique the content of the article and give suggestions where they see fit. They are also welcome to provide topic suggestions to authors.

Editors may also write their own articles if they wish, but authors are given priority time slots.

[/hide]

How To Apply

• PM your application to tripsis - do not post it here!
  • Put Editorial Panel Application as the subject.
  • Take your time to make a good impression. Do not rush or put in half effort.
  • Read and answer each question thoroughly and to the best of your ability.
  • Even if your application is not chosen, we will keep it on record and contact you at a later date if need be.
  • Applications close 4 January 2011.

Application

[hide=Application Read Only]Tell Us About Your Relationship With Tip.It

1. How long have you been a member of Tip.It (in months)? What is your current post count?

2. Please provide a link to your Tip.It profile:

3. Which forum board(s) do you read/post on most often?

Tell Us Your Qualifications

4. Are you currently playing RuneScape? If so, how much time each week do you dedicate to playing?

5. Do you feel comfortable being given a writing/editing schedule and working on a deadline?

6. How much writing experience do you have, if any?

7. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing/editing articles each week?

8. If possible, please provide links to 2-3 sample works. These can be links to essays/articles you have written or simply links to controversial, thought-provoking Tip.it Forum posts.

9. Explain why you want to be an Editorial Panel member and how you would benefit the team.

10. Please specify which position you are most interested in: author or editor.

11. Is English your native language? If not, would you consider yourself to be a fluent English writer?

More About You

12. This question is NOT part of Editorial Panel hiring criteria, but will help us to know you better:

13. Tell us anything else you'd like us to know about you here! Favorite color, hobbies, sports, education, etc. Let us know who YOU are! [/hide]

[hide=In Code Tags - Copy From Here!]

[size="3"][b]Tell Us About Your Relationship With Tip.It[/b][/size]

[b]1. How long have you been a member of Tip.It (in months)? What is your current post count?[/b]

[b]2. Please provide a link to your Tip.It profile:[/b]

[b]3. Which forum board(s) do you read/post on most often?[/b]

[size="3"][b]Tell Us Your Qualifications[/b][/size]

[b]4. Are you currently playing RuneScape?  If so, how much time each week do you dedicate to playing?[/b]

[b]5. Do you feel comfortable being given a writing/editing schedule and working on a deadline?[/b]

[b]6. How much writing experience do you have, if any?[/b]

[b]7. How much time do you have to dedicate to writing/editing articles each week?[/b]

[b]8. If possible, please provide links to 2-3 sample works.  These can be links to essays/articles you have written or simply links to controversial, thought-provoking Tip.it Forum posts.[/b]

[b]9. Explain why you want to be an Editorial Panel member and how you would benefit the team.[/b]

[b]10. Please specify which position you are most interested in: author or editor.[/b]

[b]11. Is English your native language?  If not, would you consider yourself to be a fluent English writer?[/b]

[size="3"][b]More About You[/b][/size]

[b]12. This question is NOT part of Editorial Panel hiring criteria, but will help us to know you better:[/b]

[list][*][b]Which age group do you fall into? (Select one) 13-15 16-18 19-25 25+[/b]

[*][b]In what country do you live? Time Zone?[/b]

[*][b]What is your RSN? Link to the RS High Scores or provide any self-updating stat-signature.[/b] 

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore/hiscorepersonal.ws?user1=YOUR-USERNAME-HERE[/list]
[b]13. Tell us anything else you'd like us to know about you here! Favorite color, hobbies, sports, education, etc. Let us know who YOU are! [/b]

[/hide]

REMEMBER - Just be yourself. Take your time and put effort into your application. It is better to go into too much detail than to not put in enough detail. Applications are not being run on a first come, first served basis, so there's no need to rush. All applications will be reviewed by Tip.it Administrators and the current Editorial Panel team.

We look forward to reading your applications! :thumbsup: If you have any questions you may PM myself, Racheya or Mirror. Alternatively you may post your question on this topic. But DO NOT post your application here!

- Tip.it Times Staff

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm eagerly looking forward to the applications. I got on the Times through a recruitment drive and I really can't wait to see applicants. Even if you're unsure about if you'll be picked or not, go ahead! You might get a nice surprise :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

If we already hold a 'staff' position (ie in TET, a mod, etc) we're allowed to apply for the Times, correct? I'm looking forward to applying. :smile:

That is correct :) Just be sure you have enough time to dedicate to both jobs!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Just a question, do we use UK English, or American England on this site?

You are free to use either one in Tip.it Times articles :)

Posted Image

So we don't have a standard language? I was wondering more from an editors perspective, because if it was editing something written in American English, I'd be tempted to change it... :cool:

The articles are representative of the individual rather than the site as a whole, so it is acceptable for them to use whichever they prefer. And both UK and American English appear on the main site (in guides, etc.) anyway :P

Posted Image

So we don't have a standard language? I was wondering more from an editors perspective, because if it was editing something written in American English, I'd be tempted to change it... :cool:

I feel a similar way when I edit articles :P But if it's written in American English I usually just leave it as it is :D

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

:P Even though I'm American, I'd be liable to change it to British English... I think it sounds better/looks cooler most of the time. Except the 'ou' thing, that doesn't make sense to me.

I usually leave a note for the editors about what specific English I'm writing in to help with the editing process. Otherwise either is fine and readable in both cases. Well, at least for me anyway. XD Best of luck to all applicants! Looking forward to seeing them. :D

I usually leave a note for the editors about what specific English I'm writing in to help with the editing process. Otherwise either is fine and readable in both cases. Well, at least for me anyway. XD Best of luck to all applicants! Looking forward to seeing them. :D

Interesting, I've always liked writing creative pieces of work. Perhaps a lurker has a chance? We'll have to see I guess!

*Returns to the void of lurkers to tap into the void of the imagination*

advent-children-cloud-honest1.jpg

99 Fishing 11/12/2006 790th fisher to 99

Former Tip.it Events team leader

how restricted are the topic assignments? i.e. how much freedom do we get in picking what to write?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

how restricted are the topic assignments? i.e. how much freedom do we get in picking what to write?

Authors are free to write about whatever they like, providing that it is RuneScape related and appropriate. In terms of appropriateness, a good rule to go by is that if it's acceptable for the forum, it's acceptable for the Tip.it Times. However that may not be true in all cases just because we hold the site to a slightly higher standard since although articles have an author, they are hosted on our site by us and thus tend to be more representational of Tip.it as a whole than say, a post on a forum. But appropriateness is rarely an issue.

I hope that answers your question :)

Posted Image

Authors are free to write about whatever they like, providing that it is RuneScape related and appropriate. In terms of appropriateness, a good rule to go by is that if it's acceptable for the forum, it's acceptable for the Tip.it Times. However that may not be true in all cases just because we hold the site to a slightly higher standard since although articles have an author, they are hosted on our site by us and thus tend to be more representational of Tip.it as a whole than say, a post on a forum. But appropriateness is rarely an issue.

I hope that answers your question :)

Thanks! Sounds good, seriously considering applying.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Hey there, I just joined, but this sounds cool! I love to write and I am a pretty good editor. But my question is: Does it matter if the applicant has been on Tip.it for a certain amount of time? So say if I applied, would my chance of getting accepted get reduced since I just joined?

"I'm like a hermit in my own head"

2enx1ro.jpg

Hey there, I just joined, but this sounds cool! I love to write and I am a pretty good editor. But my question is: Does it matter if the applicant has been on Tip.it for a certain amount of time? So say if I applied, would my chance of getting accepted get reduced since I just joined?

People who have a longer time spent on Tip.It are more likely to be picked since we can judge their attitude, commitment and dedication better. It's hard to get that for a new person. However, you can still apply. Even if you don't get in, there's always a chance you'll be able to join up later on.

For now, welcome to the forums :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

People who have a longer time spent on Tip.It are more likely to be picked since we can judge their attitude, commitment and dedication better. It's hard to get that for a new person. However, you can still apply. Even if you don't get in, there's always a chance you'll be able to join up later on.

Ok, thanks for the information :D

"I'm like a hermit in my own head"

2enx1ro.jpg

Ok, thanks for the information :D

To add on to what Racheya said, providing good samples will be even more important if you have not been a member for too long :) So as long as you can provide us with good samples of your work, you should have a decent chance.

Posted Image

Erm would it be a problem if I applied a day late? I've been away for a bit, and I may not have internet access for a few days (until it gets connected at my new address). I don't quite have the time to fill out and application now...

rosssigfinal.jpg