Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

[hide]

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/wilderness-and-free-trade-vote

Hi everyone,

As we near the end of another big year for Jagex, I feel very proud and truly amazed at what weve achieved together since RuneScape was conceived a decade ago. Together weve been part of the growth of one of the biggest free games in the world, not to mention the best, most vibrant online community in history. The Jagex family has grown to well over 400, weve picked up a number of Guinness World Records along the way (and counting), and for the second year running weve won the Golden Joystick Awards as best UK developer. This is all thanks to you, the players.

As you know, we try to keep our updates close to our chest, so that you will be pleasantly surprised; however, I can promise you that 2011 will be one of our most exciting update years ever.

When considering big game-changing decisions, its always with our players ultimate game experience firmly in mind; your feedback helps shape our decisions and, ultimately, the fun entertainment we produce. Creating content that you enjoy and appreciate is what drives our passionate teams. We regularly listen to you on the fan sites, our forums, in game and, for the first time ever, face to face at our live player celebration: RuneFest 2010. Your voice counts hugely, because we know you are as passionate about playing RuneScape as we are about making it.

Its never lost on me what an incredible privilege it is to be able to serve such a wonderful community as well as the incredible team at Jagex. Ive had an astonishing time over the past two years that Ive been CEO of Jagex and, during that time, have had to make some rather difficult decisions. Today, however, Id like to ask every one of our players, past and present, for your help in making one of the biggest decisions regarding the future of RuneScape...

I regularly hear from both the community and the Jagex team that we should reintroduce free trade and the excitement of the old Wilderness, warts and all. As you know, we removed free trade and the Wilderness in 2007 to combat botting, gold farming and item scamming. Since then, we have produced new content that provides comparable gameplay and mechanics to allow increased trade limits with long-term friends; however, we are still regularly being told that something is missing from the 'good old days' of RuneScape.

Weve been shutting down bot-makers all around the world and prosecuting people for stealing accounts, and weve evolved our systems to quickly detect cheating; however, we will have to accept that we will never completely eradicate cheating so long as there is an incentive and method to do so. Bringing back free trade and the original Wilderness will certainly make this a bigger issue than it is today, though I can pledge that we will never stop trying to combat it.

So, the big question is, are the passionate voices we hear on this topic truly representative of the majority of the player community or just a rather vocal minority? Do you want to see a return of free trade and the original Wilderness? If the vast majority of our players vote in favour of it, then we will do exactly that.

Please tell us what you think by visiting this page and registering your vote. As ever, well read your feedback and listen to your thoughts and opinions, so please do feel free to discuss and debate this on the forums.

In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday season and thank you for a fantastic 2010. I look forward to celebrating ten years of RuneScape with you in January.

Have fun!

Take care,

Mark Gerhard

[/hide]

[hide]

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/wilderness-and-free-trade-referendum

We received a petition of 1.2M votes in less than 24 hours! This is the highest number of votes we have ever received for any player poll so its time we swiftly move on to a qualified referendum, allowing all our players to express their wishes.

We want our entire community to decide the future of their game by voting in the first ever RuneScape referendum, please make sure you register your vote and ensure you also get everyone you know who plays/has played RuneScape to register their vote too!

The number of players who registered their name on the petition and the feedback in the forums and on fan sites has shown how passionate you are about this matter. The following referendum clarifies exactly what we propose to bring back, or not, based entirely on your votes.

The referendum also gives you the opportunity to vote Yes for the return of Free Trade & the Wilderness, I dont mind either way or No to the proposal. Please read through the following carefully and log in with your account to cast your vote as well as the option to see the results of the referendum.

About Free Trade:

* Unrestricted Free Trade between players

* Unlimited staking in the Duel Arena

* The Grand Exchange would remain, but with the lower and upper price limits removed

* Party Room drop restrictions removed

* Item Lending still available

* Assist System still available

* LootShare and CoinShare still available

About the Wilderness:

* The Wilderness becomes a rather dangerous area again and players can kill each other for their items

* PVP, Bounty and Bounty +1 Worlds removed (game mechanics may be re-used in the future)

* New objects that affect combat will be analysed on an individual basis

* Gravestones would still be used outside of the Wilderness

* Various PVP items and gear will still be available and wont become rares

* Revenants patrolling the Wilderness will be relocated

* Content located in the Wilderness area reviewed as follows:

o Quests (e.g. Spirit of Summer) and Activities (e.g. Clan Wars) would be relocated

o Other content (e.g. Treasure Trails, the Beacon Network and D&Ds) would be looked at on a case-by-case basis

To view the referendum result and cast your vote, click here.

Thanks for your support,

Mark Gerhard

[/hide]

Voting for RuneScape's Referendum has now closed. The community's response has been incredible, with well over 1.2 million votes cast in just three short weeks.

The results are now in and, with 91% of the vote, youve told us loudly and clearly that you support the restoration of free trade and the Wilderness.

On behalf of everyone here at Jagex, we want to express our sincerest thanks for your votes, feedback and for playing such an important role in deciding the future of your game. We have been overwhelmed by the number of you who took part, and are extremely grateful to all those who took it upon themselves to campaign so passionately both for and against the proposed update.

While the percentage of votes speak for themselves, its important that we seriously consider all of your feedback and comments. So, well be sitting down this weekend to consider the next steps and will be making an official announcement on Monday 17th January.

Results here http://www.runescape.com/wilderness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/wilderness-and-free-trade-vote

Hi everyone,

As we near the end of another big year for Jagex, I feel very proud and truly amazed at what weve achieved together since RuneScape was conceived a decade ago. Together weve been part of the growth of one of the biggest free games in the world, not to mention the best, most vibrant online community in history. The Jagex family has grown to well over 400, weve picked up a number of Guinness World Records along the way (and counting), and for the second year running weve won the Golden Joystick Awards as best UK developer. This is all thanks to you, the players.

As you know, we try to keep our updates close to our chest, so that you will be pleasantly surprised; however, I can promise you that 2011 will be one of our most exciting update years ever.

When considering big game-changing decisions, its always with our players ultimate game experience firmly in mind; your feedback helps shape our decisions and, ultimately, the fun entertainment we produce. Creating content that you enjoy and appreciate is what drives our passionate teams. We regularly listen to you on the fan sites, our forums, in game and, for the first time ever, face to face at our live player celebration: RuneFest 2010. Your voice counts hugely, because we know you are as passionate about playing RuneScape as we are about making it.

Its never lost on me what an incredible privilege it is to be able to serve such a wonderful community as well as the incredible team at Jagex. Ive had an astonishing time over the past two years that Ive been CEO of Jagex and, during that time, have had to make some rather difficult decisions. Today, however, Id like to ask every one of our players, past and present, for your help in making one of the biggest decisions regarding the future of RuneScape...

I regularly hear from both the community and the Jagex team that we should reintroduce free trade and the excitement of the old Wilderness, warts and all. As you know, we removed free trade and the Wilderness in 2007 to combat botting, gold farming and item scamming. Since then, we have produced new content that provides comparable gameplay and mechanics to allow increased trade limits with long-term friends; however, we are still regularly being told that something is missing from the 'good old days' of RuneScape.

Weve been shutting down bot-makers all around the world and prosecuting people for stealing accounts, and weve evolved our systems to quickly detect cheating; however, we will have to accept that we will never completely eradicate cheating so long as there is an incentive and method to do so. Bringing back free trade and the original Wilderness will certainly make this a bigger issue than it is today, though I can pledge that we will never stop trying to combat it.

So, the big question is, are the passionate voices we hear on this topic truly representative of the majority of the player community or just a rather vocal minority? Do you want to see a return of free trade and the original Wilderness? If the vast majority of our players vote in favour of it, then we will do exactly that.

Please tell us what you think by visiting this page and registering your vote. As ever, well read your feedback and listen to your thoughts and opinions, so please do feel free to discuss and debate this on the forums.

In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday season and thank you for a fantastic 2010. I look forward to celebrating ten years of RuneScape with you in January.

Have fun!

Take care,

Mark Gerhard

vote here http://www.runescape.com/wilderness

*Votes Yes*

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

My silence shall be deafening.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Wow I'm actually surprised they're going through with this. Not really sure if I will vote, I'd like free trade back but I do like the Wilderness as it is now however I can see why people would want it back. This is a step in the right direction though, and it shows that after almost 4 years they have decided to listen to their player base :thumbup:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

you dont need passwords, you just enter the username and it accepts

i entered the names of my entire friends list lol (30 down 110 to go)

1m votes should be easy if every member votes for them + old inactive friends names

a_final_name.png

I can see why Jagex is doing this. But, people have grown used to the wilderness. What about banking in clan wars? Risk rune trimmed items in F2P running to Wilderness Volcano? Some tweaks have to be made, but I don't think this is a good idea. Jagex is about 3 years late on this. Just howninfeel towards this, no flames.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

After refreshing the page it goes up by a few thousand each time. :o

I'm not sure really at the moment, I'm not too bothered. It'd mean I'd be able to PK with untradables on every item slot and have no risk; it'd kill the millions of junk gp in my bank; it'd be very difficult to snipe and purchase/sell some items off the GE; and there'd be a ton more botters no doubt.

I've gotten used all all the problems which has affected me such as not being able to drop brews to team mates boss hunting and not being able to lend many items, and I've preferred doing clues against Revs than PKers.

I'd like someone to list pros and cons of this to help me decide. :P It depends how they go about implementing this though.

imagangster.png

The vote system is very unreliable... you can vote for any user that has been created....

This is basically Jagex stating loudly that they lost the botting and RWT war...

I see RS becoming a very bot oriented game in the future.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

the inability to vote no disturbs me,

i think jagex will be making it come back no matter what...

Yea I don't like that either, especially combined with the fact you seemingly can vote on behalf of other accounts. So I guess unless they match accounts with IPs when votes are placed even if you choose not to vote someone will vote for you :unsure:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Is anyone mass stocking rune scimitars?

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Is anyone mass stocking rune scimitars?

omg I wish I was not poor...

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

I voted yes, mainly for the various player run companies that used to exist during the free trade era. That brought such vibrancy to the RS society.

I am curious as to how the old Wildy and free trade will work with today's RS. Very curious. I hope it gets reinstated.

Fellsig.jpg