Wilderness and free trade vote! - Now Closed

Jimmyw3000

576 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jagex reintroduce free trade and the old Wilderness?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Indifferent ...

Chaotic weapons add to your combat level through the Attack/Ranged/Magic levels required to use them.

Careful with such a silly argument, as it can be used against you in a court of reason. First, it's obvious that combat level does not reflect the ability to do damage. A level 126 from five years ago could not do anything near the damage (or resist it) of a level 126 of today. It is, and always will be, the equipment, food, potions, etc that determines true combat potential. Second, many, many things that impact combat potential are not related to one's combat skills (easy example are barrow gloves). Third, your argument would lose merit if the Chaotics had a level 40 atk/70 dng requirement. Better yet, Jagex could say one needed a 40 in all the direct combat skills (atk, rng, str, mag, def) to use overloads to undercut your silly pre-req argument.

Reality is the combat level system is sorely broken. Pretty much, it only means anything as you gain 10 skill levels, as that gives you access to exponentially better equipment. Right now, a level 100 going against a level 100 does not tell you a darn thing. Jagex could easily put together a more fair set-up that takes into account what players actually carry and wield (food, potions, weapon and armor).

Imagine this: the instant one walks into the wilderness they're given a virtual combat level for all three attack types based on not just skills but equipment and armor. However only the highest one shows above you. So, walk in with load of sharks, full torva, god sword and you'd have a combat level of 300+ in melee. Heck, pures advantage would be neutered because the system looks at their powerful weapons and adds it to their combat level.

That's the ticket. Have Jagex revamp the combat level so it takes into account skills and carried equipment, then alter rules of wilderness based on that (maybe levels 1 to 100 now).

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say they ban them from wildy... how to implement that? Impossible to cross ditch (or any other ways to enter the wild) with them in your invent or stats boosted?

Could they also ban mobilising armies rings? They offer invisible combat boost also.

That wouldn't be very difficult, they've already had the technology in place for years. They have systems that stop you from entering Entrana with weapons, entering the law rune altar with weapons or armor, and entering certain areas with a familiar out. They could do the same thing here, with overloads.

Someone should log out in the wilderness before the free trade update, with full combat gear and overloads, and then log back in afterward and see if they're still in the wilderness. If they are, can you say massive advantage? Obviously until the overloads run out, but that's still a lot of death you could rain down.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Chaotic weapons add to your combat level through the Attack/Ranged/Magic levels required to use them.

Careful with such a silly argument, as it can be used against you in a court of reason. First, it's obvious that combat level does not reflect the ability to do damage. A level 126 from five years ago could not do anything near the damage (or resist it) of a level 126 of today. It is, and always will be, the equipment, food, potions, etc that determines true combat potential. Second, many, many things that impact combat potential are not related to one's combat skills (easy example are barrow gloves). Third, your argument would lose merit if the Chaotics had a level 40 atk/70 dng requirement. Better yet, Jagex could say one needed a 40 in all the direct combat skills (atk, rng, str, mag, def) to use overloads to undercut your silly pre-req argument.

Reality is the combat level system is sorely broken. Pretty much, it only means anything as you gain 10 skill levels, as that gives you access to exponentially better equipment. Right now, a level 100 going against a level 100 does not tell you a darn thing. Jagex could easily put together a more fair set-up that takes into account what players actually carry and wield (food, potions, weapon and armor).

Imagine this: the instant one walks into the wilderness they're given a virtual combat level for all three attack types based on not just skills but equipment and armor. However only the highest one shows above you. So, walk in with load of sharks, full torva, god sword and you'd have a combat level of 300+ in melee. Heck, pures advantage would be neutered because the system looks at their powerful weapons and adds it to their combat level.

That's the ticket. Have Jagex revamp the combat level so it takes into account skills and carried equipment, then alter rules of wilderness based on that (maybe levels 1 to 100 now).

I like the idea, but there could be problems depending on the way it works. If the combat level is determined when a player enters the wilderness and is fixed, people could find ways of exploiting this by going in and have someone else give them armour/weapons/other supplies to keep a low cb level.

On the other hand, if the combat level remains flexible, someone's cb would decrease when he eats or drops his armour, making him unattackable by other players his cb level, meaning he could escape a fight by 'altering' his combat level.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

I like the idea, but there could be problems depending on the way it works. If the combat level is determined when a player enters the wilderness and is fixed, people could find ways of exploiting this by going in and have someone else give them armour/weapons/other supplies to keep a low cb level.

On the other hand, if the combat level remains flexible, someone's cb would decrease when he eats or drops his armour, making him unattackable by other players his cb level, meaning he could escape a fight by 'altering' his combat level.

True, a system can be exploited. In a better system the exploits are easy to cover up or fix. For example, you gave a good problem with the system offered. I think an easy fix would be that combat level can go up but can't go down in the wilderness. In addition, there can be a 10 second window to let combat continue between players even if they are outside allowed levels because a player ran to lower level or changed his level for whatever reason. Another thing that can help is that your combat level can be re-evaluated after 1 minute without combat.

Sad thing is that Jagex will just keep the combat system that was made 9 years ago.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Thank you to all those of you who took part in the historic RuneScape Referendum, which ended on Friday. We received an incredible 1.2 million votes, with a united 91% of you voting for the restoration of free trade and the Wilderness. We have heard your call and will be restoring these much loved features to RuneScape on Tuesday 1st February.

The clock is ticking and you have just two weeks to get ready for this monumental update. To help you prepare, we will be releasing a series of guides, FAQs and expert advice about the Wilderness and free trade, so that players both old and new can get ready for this epic release.

Now it is up to you to prepare for battle, level your account, gear up your armour and equip yourself for the ultimate Wilderness experience.

There is just one question left unanswered: are you ready?

Mark Gerhard and the RuneScape Team

Here we go.

I STILL don't get the whole ext/ovls thing.

They were deemed overpowered at the time of release and was banned from Pvp/BH worlds, so what's wrong if it's banned in the wilderness?

They weren't released pre 07, so it's not a "just like old times" issue. I have hundreds of extremes and I would not mind if it was banned.

Thank you to all those of you who took part in the historic RuneScape Referendum, which ended on Friday. We received an incredible 1.2 million votes, with a united 91% of you voting for the restoration of free trade and the Wilderness. We have heard your call and will be restoring these much loved features to RuneScape on Tuesday 1st February.

The clock is ticking and you have just two weeks to get ready for this monumental update. To help you prepare, we will be releasing a series of guides, FAQs and expert advice about the Wilderness and free trade, so that players both old and new can get ready for this epic release.

Now it is up to you to prepare for battle, level your account, gear up your armour and equip yourself for the ultimate Wilderness experience.

Here we go.

OMG, I'm [bleep]ING READY!!!!

Staurolite.png

Here we go.

my-body-is-ready.png

Now to count down the days.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm still wondering how jagex goes handling untradeables...

Before 2008 there were hardly any untradeables, and any time they came it was a lot of fuss.. (Really, beserker body should be tradeable!).. As it would increase the strength of a person, yet don't increase the worth of killing the person.

(The biggest charm in my opinion of the old system was that if you killed a stronger person you would get more loot..)..

Nowadays about 3/4 items used are untradeable?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Before 2008 there were hardly any untradeables, and any time they came it was a lot of fuss.. (Really, beserker body should be tradeable!).. As it would increase the strength of a person, yet don't increase the worth of killing the person.

(The biggest charm in my opinion of the old system was that if you killed a stronger person you would get more loot..)..

if you kill someone with an anchor, thay just drop a solid 230k gp.

same thing could be to other stuff (korasi's is a good one)

the amount of gp droped cant be higher then the cost to regain it though.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

if you kill someone with an anchor, thay just drop a solid 230k gp.

same thing could be to other stuff (korasi's is a good one)

the amount of gp droped cant be higher then the cost to regain it though.

true, but not everything has a price to regain. - ie beserker torso.

Also new food/potions is untradeable - and in clan wilderness events we used to quickly share food between members during the trip.

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.