Tip.It Times - 26th December 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :) We're also running low on Did You Know points so if you have anything interesting that people may not now, PM them to me too.

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the first and the third article the most. They gave a refreshing view on this whole 'issue' (or however I should name it). I agree the most with the third article. I was actually quite shocked when I first noticed this whole.. petition and afterwards phase 2. Since, what should we expect now? Will they attempt to get as most of money out of RS as possible to afterwards shut it down? So that we would be offered the suggestion to move to SD? (Which probably will be released by then). (Completely crazy idea, I know, and probably won't happen)

I think this has to do with the millions they lost on Mechscape, this could be their Saviour, to get some extra budget in the pocket.

Now, to quote the first article :

"I don’t plan on quitting, or pretending that this is the Runescape apocalypse, if the new Wildy and free trade does go through… but I’d like to know how deeply Jagex have disappointed this loyal believer in them. I thought that you knew better and no amount of ‘phases’ is going to change it."

I couldn't agree more. My idea on this is exactly the same.

Edit : Just an opinion, I know you probably disagree :P.

slyfer.png

CatherbyCurmudgeon, Racheya brilliant. These things had been floating around my head for a while but I hadn't quite been able to put my finger on it as clearly as you have. It is very worrisome. All we can hope is that they in fact do have a new and far superior macro detection system ready like they claim. If they do though, I don't see why they shouldn't put it in place now and see if it can stop the current bots. I'm as worried as you are. I loved the old days but there is something a bit scary about Jagex going against all the pillars of what they stood for (article 3) in such a shoddy manner (article1). Either way, this isn't really in any of our hands, the decision was probably made before the polls were. The polls are just a way to get old players who quit involved again. Shame that they need to resort to publicity stunts when the way this game originally became great was through word of mouth, friend to friend.

Oh, and I don't doubt that for the first time in a month or so the Times might get a little flak. *grabs popcorn* Goodluck.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

re: "What Does This Mean?"

It only seems to be a 180 degree turn because it's been so suddenly sprung on the Community-at-large. They have obviously been tossing this around for a while in Jagex Towers. It’s a slick marketing ploy to get players to spend their Xmas cash with Jagex.

Oh, and also - First to go Ackbar:

trap.jpg

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

re: Wilderness & Free Trade Poll

I definitely agree the first poll was a sham was for PR only. While I didn't notice it, the whole Guinness World Record thing was pretty tell-tale. Still, if you look at the big picture, this whole thing is a PR stunt. Why suddenly care about their players? Why suddenly listen to their players? I think this poll, or rather, future update has gotten more notice and is more (in)famous than any other update since December 2007.

Can't blame Jagex though. They are simply keeping Runescape alive for another few years.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Mirror's article was beautiful. Reminds us that everything comes and goes and we should enjoy what we have at the present moment :)

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

@ Old Wilderness and Free Trade;

Yes, the poll was very poorly built, even the new one with the "No" option. Why? I'd love to see the return of Free Trade! However, I voted "No" because I dread to see the return of, gulp, the Old Wild.

I SUCK at PVP, I hate it down to the bone. PVP-ing for me is just a waste of Time and Money. I'm terrified, because when I casted my vote, the "Yes" option was dominating at 91%. I'm scared that the Old Wild may return, and I will be forced to stay on the safe side of the border, knowing jumping the wall will lead me to death and destruction.

I hope that when Jagex has to bring back the Old Wild (It's obvious the rest of the community wants it), they listen to the pleas of the few players like me, and replace the PVP Worlds with "Old Wild" worlds, while the rest have the "New NO PVP Wild".

And while I'd love Free Trade to come back, I will admit to being a bit worried on the effects it will have on the Economy. Also, they stated, "The Grand Exchange will no longer have limits on [garden tool] much you spend", and that worries me. When trading over the G.E I ALWAYS buy at max and sell at min, but if these limits are removed I will face some tough time buying and selling goods. I don't pay attention to the economy and street prices at all, so if these limits are removed, as I said before, I will be in very bad shape.

Oh well, I guess I have to wait and see what happens. I have to hope for the best and expect the worst. I'll just have to re-learn life in RS, and cope with all the changes. :ohnoes:

~ Runes Rath

It’s obvious that the overwhelming majority of the community would want to have the wilderness and free trade back. I refuse to believe that Jagex don’t understand that.

First and third article:

What Jagex couldn't know - and what the first tally was designed to count - was how people who joined after the removal of free trade felt about these changes. The "poll" did have a use! It proved that it was more than a "vocal minority" who wanted changes made, since the number of votes per unit time exceeded the ability of a small group to produce through bots/scripts/name harvesting.

Yes, the vote tally looks foolish now that the referendum is out. It was a way to gauge interest as well as hype the update and get players excited about it, so criticisms on Jagex's use of hyping tools would have been appropriate and interesting. But attacking the vote tally as a bad way of polling is just flat out incorrect - it wasn't meant to be a true referendum-style vote. It seems these articles were written before the referendum came out and then hastily edited at the last moment to try to keep the same point. The end result: articles on the wrong issues with arguments based on refusing to understand the two-phase system.

2496 Completionist

Even though I voted in the first one [i actually put my name in], I voted no on the actual one. This poses an interesting conundrum, and I'm not happy about it. Awesome articles though.

Great ending to the fiction, what's next? :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of the wilderness coming back, but if it removes stupid statues, I'm all for it...

I do not think free trade should come back though... Scamming is one of the things I do not miss...

And one point stands; if the things that were about to kill Jagex in 2007 still remained, and Jagex is still here, and Wildy and Free Trade made it much much worse, why bring it back?

Why not test these RWT and botting detection things BEFORE wildy and free trade are back???

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I'm not a fan of the wilderness coming back, but if it removes stupid statues, I'm all for it...

I do not think free trade should come back though... Scamming is one of the things I do not miss...

And one point stands; if the things that were about to kill Jagex in 2007 still remained, and Jagex is still here, and Wildy and Free Trade made it much much worse, why bring it back?

Why not test these RWT and botting detection things BEFORE wildy and free trade are back???

They said they could handle the problems..

For them the problems were the usage of stolen credit cards. - And I think they can now handle the companies threats!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

So they "sort of" admit they cant handle botters and RWT, and therefor roll over?

If that's the case, then please rollback the Pure ess update too :D

Oh and hawkxs; thanks for the artwork :)

From now on I will return to my regular schedule of a once-a-month-feature, unless I find inspiration again for such a fan-fic...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

When if they have a list of users who they know bot, and plan to mass ban all of them and post them on the front page once they get more players.

They'd just create new accounts.

@Changing essence split: the time to unchange it was while trade is restricted. Merging it now would be unfair to f2p and would increase the RWT problem unless they've got a different plan to combat bots.

2496 Completionist

When if they have a list of users who they know bot, and plan to mass ban all of them and post them on the front page once they get more players.

@Changing essence split: the time to unchange it was while trade is restricted. Merging it now would be unfair to f2p and would increase the RWT problem unless they've got a different plan to combat bots.

You know it was splitted way, way before the restricted was introduced?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

You know it was splitted way, way before the restricted was introduced?

Yes I do. It was split before the trade changes as an attempt to combat RWT before the more drastic steps. The time to change it back was therefore when the more drastic steps led to an ease in the conditions it was meant to combat, making the split useless. The split is useful when RWT is at its peaks without trade restrictions and useless when more dramatic approaches were taken. Nowhere in my post did I suggest anything to the contrary, and it's comments like that that get these topics locked.

2496 Completionist

At least I'm not alone in my fear of the Wildy!!!

I can see a lot of positives for the end of a trading cap. I've spent hours waiting for 15 mins to click by and reset a trading limit, which is a real pain. But I've also benefited from friends of a higher level 'gifting' me items, I got my first items of Dragon armour as gifts (for my birthday :)), which with the current trading cap I would never have got. I've also helped out folks I know in real life who were just trying out the game, most of them have gone on to become members. GE prices are easy enough to check, so just as in the real world, look for the best price you can. So scamming shouldn't be the issue it used to be.

I've also benefited from the 'Old Wildy' experience, but only with lots of luck, and I've died lots of times. Those are the chances you take, so it's good advice to not take anything you can't afford to loose into the wild.

But aren't the return of the Wildy and Free Trade two seperate things?

Cultjunky.png

You know, I think the most likely reason for the free trade thing is that apparently it's now illegal in China to gold farm; specifically, gold farming on video games with the intent to profit is now illegal, apparently. If this is true, that's a highly likely reason for it; I think the real reason the trade limit went away wasn't so much bots and RWT directly; rather the credit card companies threatened to stop supporting RuneScape because of all the credit card fraut involved with RWT, as the RWT'ers wanted members accounts. Now that it's illegal in China, this will be much, much less of an issue.

Well, that's what I think is the most probable theory.

To above: yes, the old wilde and free trade are seperate things. I wonder what would happen if we could vote only for free trade instead of the old wilde.

The old wilde can't come back with free trade. Otherwise, the wilderness will become a way RWT, get around GE, etc, and also contribute heavily to scamming because you don't know what the person will do after (s)he gets the item.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I've been around for a long long time but I neglect logging in I just lurk around tip.it but I really enjoyed this read and felt I should sign in and express my joy. I agree with the ending paragraph I too hope when my clock reaches 0:00 I'll have enjoyed my time here and be able to look back and say it was fun.

EDIT: Laugh out loud at my sig!

betterwork.jpg

lordadam21.png

Alright...first, I really like the idea of the old wilderness. It adds so much fun into the game, seeing as a few quests are actually based in the wildy, and it just isn't even scary anymore in any way with the Revs. They're easy to run from, or kill, and pose no challenge, however other players are much bigger threats. I despise the idea of Free Trade, just because it will be very hard to buy and sell for a good price. As someone else said, the economy will be very screwed up, and the GE will just fail, seeing as there is a huge price range. There should be a recommended price for each item, which you can follow or not, but that would also fail, because it wouldn't be able to change, especially if one guy sold, for example, a d med for 1 mil, and someone bought another one for 5k. The average would be screwed up, and wouldn't work, so that probably would fail. I wish they had 2 separate votes, 1 for trade, and one for wildy.

Very nice article, though it seems to me that for the most part the article was centered around the hating of the first 'poll' Jagex did for the re installation of the Old Wild and free trade. Regarding the validity of the first poll, which you can find stuff about on the world Guinness site lol, in my opinion it definitely seemed pointless as far as the community and game in general is concerned. Not to mention bots like this contributed greatly to that first poll ;P:

voting.png

Though seeing just the first poll Then the Phase 2 poll made alot of people believe Jagex was trolling, which also isn't the case confirmed by talks in Mod Mark's cc and this post on the maxed forums:

67129691.png

49151352.png

Then seeing as its most likely coming, due to its large popularity and the chances of Jagex bringing up this subject Just for a world record is near 0, people start poking out the Pros and Cons.

RWT and botting seem to be the big concern here, but as some people have already stated they still here bots and real world trading are still around as the game is now :P. While most of us who were around back then remember the familiar generic characters with generic names picking away at the flax or chopping at the yews, the bots around today do much more than that. Seeing that the people who owned the bots couldn't freely trade anymore, the idea of botting for resource was out, so whats the next best thing? Selling accounts. The majority of bots around today do a variety of different skills to raise the value of an account, or just used by the lazy teenager that doesn't want to do some 'boring' skill. But also stated earlier, it was more the financial issue that was the original doomsay of runescape that put an end to free trade and wild in the first place.

Though many non pkers, such as myself ;), are missing what the free trade aspect will bring. For one the obvious in Mod Mat K's post, the death of Merchant clans, seeing as people can freely trade if needed now. Also things such as Nature and Law run running will be back, but with prices the way they are now pure ess will cost more than the runes we're crafting ;/ (ess mining bots would be a plus lol).

But these are just my personal opinions.

Whitening75.png

Whitening75.png

Whitening75.png

ew, wilderness and free trade article was sickening.

its a yes or no vote, plain and simple. dont whine because everyone is voting yes.

THE 2 PERCENT UNDECIDED COULD VOTE NO AND IT STILL WOULD BE A LAND SLIDE

LOL invite? PM me :)

nosailing.png

Maxed Kitten.png

All the scamming, pking, staking, and free merchanting really made me enjoy the game and actually learn for myself and learn the value of what I earned and how easy it was to lose it. This is why after the update I slowly stopped playing, and I see now the updates that walk new players like babies through each aspect of the game. Stuff like the warning signs before dangerous areas kind of ruins some of the adventurous aspects this game used to have. I remember being devastated losing some of my crappy armor when I first started playing, but then working even harder to gain it back ten fold.

I might not even come back if this gets passed, but it really should since the loss of pking and free trading basically changed the entire game and it lost alot of it's uniqueness and appeal that other mmorpgs do not really have.

And lol at logging into Tip.it for the first time in a couple years to make this post.