From Flab to Abs.

Tim

Static hold core work is also very important (for any lifting regime, but they work the abs nicely too) plus some dynamic core stuff. E.g.

[hide]1) Sprinter Double Leg Sit Ups -

2) Reverse Leg Curl + Leg Lower -

3) Hip Pop Ups -

4) Plank Get Ups -

5) Side Plank -

6) Hip Touch & Reach -

7) MB Oblique Twists -

8) Plate Shifts -

[/hide]

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent abandoned this btw if your wondering. I've been very busy all week, ironically I didnt realise but while I was away I was doing 5km walks every day and about another 3km going up/down the road from where I was staying to the seminar room I was in. O_o

Popoto.~<3

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I just signed up to a really small gym for cheap, $30 for 3 months. (It is REALLY small, but it has everything one needs). Anyway, I am 6'2 and weigh roughly 150 pounds.

I know before I begin, I am going to have to max out. So what should I expect to max out on?(bench, squat, deadlift) I heard that beginners should be able to bench roughly half their body weight (So for me roughly 75 lb. bench) Is this true? And is it a bad idea to lift with friends who are much stronger than you? (one partner is school's top bench weight, another is the school's best deadlift...)

That depends on the person. Like if that's 150 lbs of raw muscle you'll be able to do more then if its mostly fat.

Working out with people stronger than me has been beneficial, it pushes me to go harder to try and catch up.

Edited by jjrox32
jjroxlu7.jpg

That depends on the person. Like if that's 150 lbs of raw muscle you'll be able to do more then if its mostly fat.

Working out with people stronger than me has been beneficial, it pushes me to go harder to try and catch up.

Well I can assure you it's not raw muscle, although from Cross Country/track my legs are strong, so hopefully my squatting is better than most beginners.

Yeah, they told me the first month usually shows the most improvement, then things slow down.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can assure you it's not raw muscle, although from Cross Country/track my legs are strong, so hopefully my squatting is better than most beginners.

Yeah, they told me the first month usually shows the most improvement, then things slow down.

Running doesn't really develop the same kind of strength in your legs that you will need for squatting. In fact, if you ran long distance primarily, you could be at a disadvantage even.

I'd say you can expect to bench 95, squat 105, and deadlift 115. If you have seriously never lifted ever in your life then take 10-20 lbs off these numbers.

If you do pushups occaisonally and stuff, you might be able to get like 105 on your bench. When I first started lifting I weighed 140 and could bench 105 but only squat and DL about 95

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Running doesn't really develop the same kind of strength in your legs that you will need for squatting. In fact, if you ran long distance primarily, you could be at a disadvantage even.

I'd say you can expect to bench 95, squat 105, and deadlift 115. If you have seriously never lifted ever in your life then take 10-20 lbs off these numbers.

If you do pushups occaisonally and stuff, you might be able to get like 105 on your bench. When I first started lifting I weighed 140 and could bench 105 but only squat and DL about 95

I must be a freak then. When I started squatting at 14 I could do 225 6-7 times.

jjroxlu7.jpg

I must be a freak then. When I started squatting at 14 I could do 225 6-7 times.

First of all, it depends on your genetics and what sports you may have played.

Secondly, it depends hugely on your bodyweight. If you weighed close to 200 lbs, 225 wouldn't be all that insane.

Thirdly, it depends on what you call a squat. No offense, but when I hear people throw around large squat numbers like that, it almost always means they aren't doing a full squat. Just like 90% of the people at a gym these days, I wouldn't be suprised if you were doing half-squats or even quarter squats. I mean 225 isn't a crazy huge squat, it is less than what I max out on and anyone who trains consistently for more than a year should be able to rep out at 225. But to be a true beginner and full squat 225 pounds? You either have incredible genetics or you weren't really squatting with full depth. Or, like I said, if you weighed 200+ pounds it wouldn't be unexpected.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

First of all, it depends on your genetics and what sports you may have played.

Secondly, it depends hugely on your bodyweight. If you weighed close to 200 lbs, 225 wouldn't be all that insane.

Thirdly, it depends on what you call a squat. No offense, but when I hear people throw around large squat numbers like that, it almost always means they aren't doing a full squat. Just like 90% of the people at a gym these days, I wouldn't be suprised if you were doing half-squats or even quarter squats. I mean 225 isn't a crazy huge squat, it is less than what I max out on and anyone who trains consistently for more than a year should be able to rep out at 225. But to be a true beginner and full squat 225 pounds? You either have incredible genetics or you weren't really squatting with full depth. Or, like I said, if you weighed 200+ pounds it wouldn't be unexpected.

I always squat to at least parallel. A lot of the time I end up going lower by accident.

Back then I weighed in at around 140 lbs. I wasn't a very big kid.

I played hockey and I was a sprinter. Dunno if that would effect it.

Right now I can squat about 385 at 194 lbs. It would have been higher if I hadn't snapped my femur during last summer.

jjroxlu7.jpg

I always squat to at least parallel. A lot of the time I end up going lower by accident.

Right now I can squat about 385 at 194 lbs. It would have been higher if I hadn't snapped my femur during last summer.

Sprinting certainly would affect it. When I was responding to justcallmedaddy I mentioned how distance runners could be at a huge disadvantage when starting to squat. This is because when you do any athletic activity, your body learns to build the muscles that are good for that activity and get rid of the muscles that aren't needed for that activity. Distance runners obviously use their legs, but when you look at it they don't really train the muscle groups that would be good for squatting: quads, hammies, glutes, and hip flexors

Sprinting, on the other hand, requires intensive fast-twich stimulation of all of those muscles. Definitely helps to explain why you are a "natural" squatter. Olympic lifters, who work on developing immense strength in the front-squat and the overhead squat, actually run sprints as part of their training routine.

Basically...this:

marathoner-vs-sprinter-men.JPG

225 to parallel at 140...age 14...is still ridiculous though. haha. What did your parents feed you as a child? :razz:

Myweponsgood.gif

225 to parallel

What do you mean by "to parallel"? Just curious...

A "parallel" squat is where you squat low enough so that your upper legs (quads) are parallel with the ground.

parallel_squat_position.jpg

I'm glad you asked, because one time I met a guy who thought he should be squatting with his legs really close to each other, so that they stay parallel with each other :???:

Myweponsgood.gif

Sprinting certainly would affect it. When I was responding to justcallmedaddy I mentioned how distance runners could be at a huge disadvantage when starting to squat. This is because when you do any athletic activity, your body learns to build the muscles that are good for that activity and get rid of the muscles that aren't needed for that activity. Distance runners obviously use their legs, but when you look at it they don't really train the muscle groups that would be good for squatting: quads, hammies, glutes, and hip flexors

Sprinting, on the other hand, requires intensive fast-twich stimulation of all of those muscles. Definitely helps to explain why you are a "natural" squatter. Olympic lifters, who work on developing immense strength in the front-squat and the overhead squat, actually run sprints as part of their training routine.

Basically...this:

marathoner-vs-sprinter-men.JPG

225 to parallel at 140...age 14...is still ridiculous though. haha. What did your parents feed you as a child? :razz:

My squat's always been pretty high up. I squat as much or more than every lineman on my team.

jjroxlu7.jpg

Makes sense. When I did squats I was doing it right then *relief*. I think I maxed at like 160 lbs though at 175 bodyweight haha

Don't worry about it, my squat is ridiculously low too. White boy chicken legs aren't good for much :thumbdown:

hiccup.png

A no-surprise failure. The GYM at the RAAF is closed down for a few months due to renovation, I cant afford a normal GYM, and with the constaint abuse of a drunken father and helping look after my Neice, I cant even excercise at home.

All in all, Once more I am a failure of society.

Popoto.~<3

• 1 month later...

im not an expert or something, but we do this at taekwon-do to train abs, and i find it working pretty good :)

m not very good at explaining this in text so i made somekind of a picture, hope it helps :^_^:

[hide]1304612374-430.jpg[/hide]

TKD-is-it.png

If you have 15 minutes free every other day, give P90X's Ab Ripper X a go. Worked well enough for me, although my body fat % is still a bit high for visual abs.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

If you have 15 minutes free every other day, give P90X's Ab Ripper X a go. Worked well enough for me, although my body fat % is still a bit high for visual abs.

seeing from the name i can conclude this thing will kill you :^_^:

TKD-is-it.png

Why do you say that? :mellow:

hopesolopatriot.jpg

just a joke :)

TKD-is-it.png

just a joke :)

If you're not in decent shape though, it WILL rip your abs lol. The first time I did it, I couldn't even sit up straight. But it definitely helps. It doesn't just work your abs, it works your entire core.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~