How will the players that joined RS after 2008 react to the return of wildy/free trade?

ilovesilvia

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined RS in the September of 08... Basically I don't care. I voted no because all I've known is this "new wildy" and it works perfectly fine for me. When they bring back old I'll just stay out the way and I'll keep using whatever grandexchange is there.

I just want to give you a big ol' hug.

Sorry to butt in, but, can you please remind me what was this trust game? I was a noob back then.

Trust game is where you give someone something and they give you something more expensive in return. It rises until you give the person something they want, and they book it.

Ex:

You give lobster

They give steel armor

You give mithril platebody

They give a bunch of runes.

You give rune platebody

They leave.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

A lot of classic scams are gonna be back. Thankfully, with the big exclamation points and the wealth transfer information on the bottom of the trade window, there are a significant number of deterrents now. But some items were definitely tricky and easy to scam with. Noted mithril/rune items, and Guthan's spear/leaf bladed spear come to mind.

Just a few scams I remember that may still work:

-A two person scam where one person is selling an item for more than its value, and another one is buying it for even higher. Player buys it from the seller, both of the scammers log off.

-Set up a legitmate trade, "accidentally" cancel, and retrade with a lower value item. People used to try this with me with trimmed armour. Ex.: At one point addy(g) bodies were 300k. I'd put up the coins, and they'd put up the platebody. I'd hit accept, and they'd "accidentally" hit cancel, and retrade. I put up the 300k again, and they put up a regular adamant platebody and hit accept. Thankfully I learned to always check the screen carefully, but I be this one got a number of people.

-Noted mithril items exchanged for noted rune items. A good number of noted items, like mithril/rune picks, mithril/rune hatchets, and to a lesser extent armor, look similar.

-Trust games (for the really new players)

-Drop trades (same as above)

Also, the wilderness is gonna be a much more dangerous place (obvious). Slayer tasks like Green dragons and distractions like treasure trails are gonna become much more difficult.

On the plus side, it will be easier to give gifts to friends, share expensive pots with teammates, and of course there were some really epic drop parties!

I think once free trade is enabled again it will take a couple days for prices to settle correctly as I'm sure some people are going to try and manipulate some prices but everything will find it's appropriate value fairly shortly. There will probably be some people trying to scam but I highly doubt many will, I think most people are over hyping all the scamming that could happen, because it your an aware player your not going to get scammed. My only advise is to research the prices of items before you buy to make sure your not over paying, do your research until things settle.

The Wilderness, will be the wilderness, I don't know really to explain the difference since I've stopped playing before the wilderness is what it is now but it was never that dangerous, only on PKing worlds did you ever have to really worry about pkers.

I keep seeing people posting about jagex bring back staking, are they bring back the old style of staking from classic? Where you could stake anyone anywhere?

tFtfA.jpg

Some will rage quit. Some will think it's stupid. Some might like it. I know one guy who thinks hackers will hack more people for some crazy reason. I really don't care what they think though. If they rage quit good for them.

Wow, you mean he thinks giving hackers a much larger financial incentive to hack might increase instances of hacking? Lol, what a moron.

But yeah, any players worth keeping are going to adjust and move on. A lot of idiots will probably do a poor job adjusting ("selling green mask!" "I buy 125m meet me edge bridge" "omg a pile of coins on the ground in the wildy! *hops over*), and that is okay. We need some sort of foil for idiots to stop the game from being so damn full of them.

That's exactly what he thinks actually. We've been trying to convince him that that is the stupidest thing we've ever heard. But he has made up his mind that he is right.

I'm pretty sure you fell into the sar-chasm.

This is exactly what will happen. Hackers/password scammers will become slightly more common BECAUSE there is an actual financial incentive to steal people's accounts now, instead of doing it just for "lulz."

td2sig.jpg

It'll be interesting to see if Jagex change it if loads of people complain.

No. This is the one reason behind their rigged poll: so that when the [cabbage] hits the fan and there are inevitable riots, Jagex can kick back and say "hey, you guys said you wanted this with 1m votes." The other reason was to get people who had retired friends to spread the word and get them to give a second look at returning to RS.

td2sig.jpg

TBH, since the second trade window & wildy ditch/wall. If they get scammed then they really should go jump of a ... hmm nvm they might actually do it. :unsure:

Also since display names, and the recent email usernames update that takes guess / bruteforce out of the question a little more than it used to. And anyone who gets keylogged deserves to lose their account imo.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

And anyone who gets keylogged deserves to lose their account imo.

What horrific line of thought brought to arrive at this conclusion? :unsure:

Most of not all keyloggers are installed after you try a bot or from sites you shouldn't be going into anyways.

It'll be interesting to see if Jagex change it if loads of people complain.

No. This is the one reason behind their rigged poll: so that when the [cabbage] hits the fan and there are inevitable riots, Jagex can kick back and say "hey, you guys said you wanted this with 1m votes." The other reason was to get people who had retired friends to spread the word and get them to give a second look at returning to RS.

I’d be surprised if there are any “riots” due to the side effects of a FT/W rollback.

I also don't expect there will be any "riots" by the No voters. I'm content to let my monthly membership stipend speak for me. If I don't find the game entertaining or I don't care for the direction it is headed, I can walk away.

"Rioting" is for bratz.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I honestly don't care less 'bout em.

Lol, same.

Some will love it, some will hate it. Get use to it and suck it up!

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

Most of not all keyloggers are installed after you try a bot or from sites you shouldn't be going into anyways.

So: Person A is botting, person B is keylogging, so that's OK. Red herring argument, but a half-decent one and not one I was expecting.

I was presuming it was the classic, 'If you're stupid, you deserve to be targetted by criminals and you should cry more when that happens' argument.

Some will rage quit. Some will think it's stupid. Some might like it. I know one guy who thinks hackers will hack more people for some crazy reason. I really don't care what they think though. If they rage quit good for them.

Wow, you mean he thinks giving hackers a much larger financial incentive to hack might increase instances of hacking? Lol, what a moron.

But yeah, any players worth keeping are going to adjust and move on. A lot of idiots will probably do a poor job adjusting ("selling green mask!" "I buy 125m meet me edge bridge" "omg a pile of coins on the ground in the wildy! *hops over*), and that is okay. We need some sort of foil for idiots to stop the game from being so damn full of them.

That's exactly what he thinks actually. We've been trying to convince him that that is the stupidest thing we've ever heard. But he has made up his mind that he is right.

I'm pretty sure you fell into the sar-chasm.

This is exactly what will happen. Hackers/password scammers will become slightly more common BECAUSE there is an actual financial incentive to steal people's accounts now, instead of doing it just for "lulz."

Ya I'll admit I kind of did lol. But his reasoning is it will make it easier. I do agree that more will try.

So: Person A is botting, person B is keylogging, so that's OK. Red herring argument, but a half-decent one and not one I was expecting.

I was presuming it was the classic, 'If you're stupid, you deserve to be targetted by criminals and you should cry more when that happens' argument.

Pretty much what I meant, just a google search for 'runescape cheats' would probably bring up enough links keylogged programs. Unless you are extremely unlucky and targeted by another means, the majority of keyloggers are from users downloading shady content and not scanning it. If people are stupid enough to do that then they should learn a lesson from it, if it means loosing their account/items then so be it.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Does it matter how they react? Does anyone even care about stupid 08 prods in the first place? Why? I hope they all quit or enjoy a painful experience in the wildy in the new golden age of RS.

God, you are so cool.

clansig7.gif

Does it matter how they react? Does anyone even care about stupid 08 prods in the first place? Why? I hope they all quit or enjoy a painful experience in the wildy in the new golden age of RS.

Dude, you still play Runescape.