More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Arkansas

Zilla

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard on the Weather Channel, another 300 birds have been found in Louisiana, same condition.

:|

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Just heard on the Weather Channel, another 300 birds have been found in Louisiana, same condition.

I already posted a link to that... and the birds in Kentucky... GF :P

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I already posted a link to that... and the birds in Kentucky... GF :P

Okay...

Fire up the QED.

Am I the only one who watched FlashForward?

Saw the first few episodes then I lost interest. Don't know why, it looked like a very interesting show.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I lived in Siberia at one point and remembered seeing lots of dead birds fall out of trees whenever winter set in early. Maybe the same thing happened here and they froze to death and suffered trauma upon hitting the ground?

I will put my boots on.

I will pass on down the corridor.

Nah, there have been, and still, unseasonably warm temperatures in the areas for the past week.

I lived in Siberia at one point and remembered seeing lots of dead birds fall out of trees whenever winter set in early. Maybe the same thing happened here and they froze to death and suffered trauma upon hitting the ground?

The trauma is probably what killed them, after they froze to death. Frozen tree branches are slippery, after all.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

This is the kinda news I dread working with birds for a living. A few years ago we had to deal with one of the largest mass bird kills right here in my area. Ended up being parasites in the water.

Hopefully it is just them being startled and not anything more serious.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

The trauma is probably what killed them, after they froze to death. Frozen tree branches are slippery, after all.

I should think the vast majority of them died of broken hearts, after seeing all of them die of trauma and of cold.

Saw a dead bird near my school today... :unsure:

Stay indoors this weekend.

What movie was it where they realized a zombie virus in animals would eventually mutate and jump to humans just because it would be impossible for it not to, given infinite time?

Actually, never mind, the probably happens in tons of movies. But yeah, start building your Armageddon shelter.

Saw a dead bird near my school today... :unsure:

Stay indoors this weekend.

What movie was it where they realized a zombie virus in animals would eventually mutate and jump to humans just because it would be impossible for it not to, given infinite time?

Actually, never mind, the probably happens in tons of movies. But yeah, start building your Armageddon shelter.

I rather die outside than die later when there is nothing left of the world :P

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

Scott Wright, the chief of disease investigations explains, that firecrackers would have set the birds out at night, flyinng blind.

It's believed that the noise startled them-they are poor night fliers-and they were in close proximity to neighborhoods, and they flew into homes and cars. They died of impact force to their bodies.

That's what the National Wildlife Health Center thinks

http://io9.com/5727758/national-wildlife-health-center-determines-cause-of-blackbird-death

yes.png

Scott Wright, the chief of disease investigations explains, that firecrackers would have set the birds out at night, flyinng blind.

It's believed that the noise startled them-they are poor night fliers-and they were in close proximity to neighborhoods, and they flew into homes and cars. They died of impact force to their bodies.

http://io9.com/5727758/national-wildlife-health-center-determines-cause-of-blackbird-death

Except it has also happened in places like Sweden... There have also been mass bird deaths in Italy, as well as thousands of fish dying across the world in a similar fashion to that of the birds.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and the firecracker hypothesis doesn't seem likely.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12135380

SWAG

Except it has also happened in places like Sweden... There have also been mass bird deaths in Italy, as well as thousands of fish dying across the world in a similar fashion to that of the birds.

I don't think it's a coincidence, and the firecracker hypothesis doesn't seem likely.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12135380

Blackbird deaths are common. They're known as suicide birds, not because they die on purpose, but they are really stupid. And have horrible eyesight. They'll follow one bird (that has no clue where it is going) straight into the ground. Happens many times a year, all over the world. Interesting that it is starting to happen so much; I don't know of any recorded cases when this happens. Particularly since they aren't all blackbirds - there were doves, too. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Nobody knows what's going on, not the experts, not the interested or concerned citizens. So, we wait.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Blackbird deaths are common. They're known as suicide birds, not because they die on purpose, but they are really stupid. And have horrible eyesight. They'll follow one bird (that has no clue where it is going) straight into the ground. Happens many times a year, all over the world.

Interesting. Didn't know that. :)

SWAG