Please Lock.

Noxx

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Death penalty often gets confused with harsher punishment rather than killing itself. Its just something I would like posters to remember in this thread.

I, for one, gave up on the justice system long ago. They can do whatever they want because either way it will screw with somebody.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The death penalty has been proven to be completely ineffective as a deterrent time after time after time.

Abolishing it is an important step in reforming our archaic justice system into something that actually functions.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The death penalty has been proven to be completely ineffective as a deterrent time after time after time.

Abolishing it is an important step in reforming our archaic justice system into something that actually functions.

If so (and i'm not saying you are wrong), howcome countries that still follow through with some sort of death penalty often have the lowest crime rates? And i mean crimes from petty theft to large scale fraud/murder?

Also, i for one can say that South Africa had a much lower crime rate when we still had the Death Penalty.

If so (and i'm not saying you are wrong), howcome countries that still follow through with some sort of death penalty often have the lowest crime rates? And i mean crimes from petty theft to large scale fraud/murder?

Also, i for one can say that South Africa had a much lower crime rate when we still had the Death Penalty.

I think there are any number of reasons why a given country may have lower crime rates, not just one.

Killing is never the answer, so I do not support the death penalty in any form.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Where exactly are these much lower crime rates? Why is violent crime (rape and murder) significantly higher in states that have the dp than those without?

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Well, i'll have to do some more research before i can come up with a "list" of these countries. But for to name some, Saudi, Qatar, Iran (yes, i know this might seem ironic but actuall crime isn't very high there), same goes for Iraq. Maybe it's just a Muslim thing?

I know for certain though, the UAE and certain surrounding coutries are amungst the safest in the world in the world due to the "That which does the dirty deed shall be chopped off" mentality. Sure this isn't death penalty 100%, but it's close enough.

I've lived in Qatar now almost 3 years and i am yet to hear of a Murder, Rape, or any for of theft. There was a rumour that a woman had killed her husband and was stoned to death the following day. Even if that proves to be more than a rumour it is still the only form of serious crime i have heard of here.

I'm in favor of the death penalty. Especially when spelled correctly.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Looks like 'Legalising Marijuana' would have been a more appropriate Law :3

I would go for a no on the whole death penalty topic, I mean yes there are too many people and yes euthanising killing those that have committed unlawful acts could be a solution to the crowded prisons. But they are only human, and when people start choosing to take other human lives bad stuff happens...

Luck be a Lady

I completely oppose the death penalty. As a matter of principle, I believe that nobody should take the life of another if no lives can be directly saved in doing so. If we're really trying to stop people from killing or otherwise harming others, what does the death penalty make us?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Can you say without a doubt that commercials about drunk driving stop people from driving drunk? What about signs that tell you not to shoplift? People will still commit crimes, even if we try to convince them not to. And when they do, the penalty should still be there. Instead of focusing on the fact that scare tactics almost never work, maybe we should focus on how we deal with them.

Death should be an option for the harshest crimes committed, whether it stops people from doing it or not.

Hm well, how should i explain myself...

On one hand you don't want child molesters and the rest to be alive. But then again, one could argue that it's an "easy" way out. However, keeping people in prison for life (i mean real life-penalty and not being let out after 4 years) costs a lot of tax money. So, someone will probably argue that we should "rehabilitate" child molesters, war criminals&etc and then let them out again, but that, i do not want.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I completely oppose the death penalty. As a matter of principle, I believe that nobody should take the life of another if no lives can be directly saved in doing so. If we're really trying to stop people from killing or otherwise harming others, what does the death penalty make us?

It makes us right.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Death penelties take many years and cost millions of dollars. What's the point?

So does keeping them locked up.

It costs millions less to keep them locked up for life than to give the death penalty.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Violence breeds more violence. The UK, Canada, Japan, Australia all have less harsh prison sentences then United States and coincidentally smaller crime rates.

Life imprisonment should be the punishment, and maybe less harsh prison sentences on non violent crimes like drug use should be where you cut the millions on prison sentences, instead of killing people that are too expensive to keep.

Also in recent times an innocent man has been given the Death Penalty in the state of Texas.

Yeah, mistakes are made. But remember that while sometimes the innocent are killed, the guilty are given a second life. Not trying to justify anything, just saying that there will always be mistakes but those are going to be 1 in 100 000.

The Financial Costs of the Death Penalty

Death penalty cases are much more expensive than other criminal cases and cost more than imprisonment for life with no possibility of parole. In California, capital trials are six times more costly than other murder trials.(1) A study in Kansas indicated that a capital trial costs $116,700 more than an ordinary murder trial.(2) Complex pre-trial motions, lengthy jury selections, and expenses for expert witnesses are all likely to add to the costs in death penalty cases. The irreversibility of the death sentence requires courts to follow heightened due process in the preparation and course of the trial. The separate sentencing phase of the trial can take even longer than the guilt or innocence phase of the trial. And defendants are much more likely to insist on a trial when they are facing a possible death sentence. After conviction, there are constitutionally mandated appeals which involve both prosecution and defense costs.

Most of these costs occur in every case for which capital punishment is sought, regardless of the outcome. Thus, the true cost of the death penalty includes all the added expenses of the "unsuccessful" trials in which the death penalty is sought but not achieved. Moreover, if a defendant is convicted but not given the death sentence, the state will still incur the costs of life imprisonment, in addition to the increased trial expenses.

For the states which employ the death penalty, this luxury comes at a high price. In Texas, a death penalty case costs taxpayers an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years.(3) In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million.(4) In financially strapped California, one report estimated that the state could save $90 million each year by abolishing capital punishment.(5) The New York Department of Correctional Services estimated that implementing the death penalty would cost the state about $118 million annually.(6)

http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html

Also click here for more information.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

The Financial Costs of the Death Penalty

Death penalty cases are much more expensive than other criminal cases and cost more than imprisonment for life with no possibility of parole. In California, capital trials are six times more costly than other murder trials.(1) A study in Kansas indicated that a capital trial costs $116,700 more than an ordinary murder trial.(2) Complex pre-trial motions, lengthy jury selections, and expenses for expert witnesses are all likely to add to the costs in death penalty cases. The irreversibility of the death sentence requires courts to follow heightened due process in the preparation and course of the trial. The separate sentencing phase of the trial can take even longer than the guilt or innocence phase of the trial. And defendants are much more likely to insist on a trial when they are facing a possible death sentence. After conviction, there are constitutionally mandated appeals which involve both prosecution and defense costs.

Most of these costs occur in every case for which capital punishment is sought, regardless of the outcome. Thus, the true cost of the death penalty includes all the added expenses of the "unsuccessful" trials in which the death penalty is sought but not achieved. Moreover, if a defendant is convicted but not given the death sentence, the state will still incur the costs of life imprisonment, in addition to the increased trial expenses.

For the states which employ the death penalty, this luxury comes at a high price. In Texas, a death penalty case costs taxpayers an average of $2.3 million, about three times the cost of imprisoning someone in a single cell at the highest security level for 40 years.(3) In Florida, each execution is costing the state $3.2 million.(4) In financially strapped California, one report estimated that the state could save $90 million each year by abolishing capital punishment.(5) The New York Department of Correctional Services estimated that implementing the death penalty would cost the state about $118 million annually.(6)

http://www.fnsa.org/v1n1/dieter1.html

Also click here for more information.

Yeah i guess in that case it does cost a lot more. But maybe that's where a change can be made. Why go through a more lengthy process when capital punishment is involved? Give the guy the same treatment as any other criminal. Take away his chance of an appeal. He failed to win his case the first time, why should we let him go over his faults and come up with a better case (lie) the second time?

Also, i'm not talking Lethal Injection or Gas Chamber which costs money. Heck not even the electric chair. Go cheap. A good old hangman's noose will work just as fine and will cost a fraction of the price.

Why go through a more lengthy process when capital punishment is involved? Give the guy the same treatment as any other criminal. Take away his chance of an appeal.

Why would you have a less intensive process when someone's life is on the line? On top of that, taking away any chance of appeal, you're out for blood haha. You seem to assume if someone is on trial for murder, they're automatically guilty. Like I posted on the last page, innocent people can fall victim to the justice system.

He failed to win his case the first time, why should we let him go over his faults and come up with a better case (lie) the second time?

Uhm, really? How about if new evidence comes out proving their innocence?