Protect Prayers looked down upon

TheAncient

Why are protect prayers so looked down upon in PVP?

The most common line of reasoning is for pvp involving one style of combat. In this case all protect prayers do is extend the battle length, so it was/is a pretty nooby thing to do. It gives no one an advantage. Back a few years ago it also made it nearly impossible to KO.

But is praying so unskilled and useless for modern hybriding? No.

Of course, for a hybrid that is not fast enough to pray the correct prayers, SS is actually significantly better.

Nowadays weapons are significantly more powerful; without praying there is sometimes no way to stop specs without luck. The best defense you have against specs is rocktail+brew+pneck, which may not even be able to cover all of the damage you're getting.

Proper overhead use actually requires skill and quick reactions:

-- Knowing when to SS and when to pray

-- Being quick enough to switch to the right pray

-- Having the reaction to switch back to SS after protecting from a spec

-- SS/prayer flicking and timing

So, as a hybrid and not as a pure meleer, why should I just let you sit there and KO me when there's something I can so easily do to prevent it?

The more nooby move would be to believe in iPKing honor irrelevant to hybriding.

Edited by Rainy_Day
Removed excessive caps title and replaced to be more relevant

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh prayer is only looked down upon by whiney pkers who have perfect setups to pwn people who dont pray but as soon as u pray they are at a disadvantage and unprepared.

Their failure to prepare ensures you are of course the noob.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As I understood, it's alright to use all sorts of stuff in simple deathmatches (unicorn, divine, chaotics etc.) but people simply don't want to fight you after a certain point. It's not so much that people consider it dishonourable or anything, it's just pointless to go after a praying target if there are other, easier targets. For dangerous pvp, that is.

Of course in your vids (the ones I've seen) it's safe ffa clan wars or something? In such a situation people just don't have a choice to fight, and it really doesn't matter whether you use prayers.

As for flaming, it's frustration.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Nobody is forcing anyone to not use protection prayer/curses - if you do, most will just pray aswell. There are just some individuals who bring the "honour"-term in pure melee Edge fights to bridding scenarios, which is kind of lame, seeing as the term "no honour" came from hybriding (green drags, mb etc.)

If you master protection prayers/curses hybriding, you should use it in fights as it'll give you a large advantage over people who can't use it properly. I would at least.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Way back when I used to PK, back near when I started playing, it seemed an unwritten rule that when PKing you shouldn't pray or else it wasn't an honourable fight so it really depended on how much you cared about people's opinions of you as to wether you prayed or not, although the chances were if you prayed your opponent would run.

Nowadays some players see other players using protection prayers/curses as a sign of weakness and because they didn't think to do it first they of course have to result to insulting the person praying in order to protect their ego. I don't see the problem with the idea that if you've got it, use it. It's like calling someone a noob because they're using a whip when you've only got a D Scim.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

As an extension to this line of reasoning, I don't think modern weapons are overpowered to the point of being uncontrollable. There are two things, other than food, that make modern weapons manageable - praying and divine. Divine is obviously inaccessible to many, but if more people started praying against specs, balance wouldnt be such an isse.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Oh, how I missed these threads. People are whiny, ignore them.

I missed these threads as well.

Many "hardcore" pkers are just whiny pusses. If things aren't going exactly their way, it's because either you're doing something wrong/against the rules, or the game is broken.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

people cry as they only bring 1 cb style ( just like when you farcast a meleer)

or they dont have the skill to swap pray as well as everything else yet

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

The way I see it is that using prayer is an element of the game, why not use it?

Well if you are "dueling" (pking) in lower wilderness, and you pray protection prayers, most times the other person will simply walk out on you. I'm not saying I agree with it, but the honor system was designed to turn fights into who could get the biggest hit first instead of who could outlast their opponent first. "Someone was going to die either way so why not make it quick" was their reasoning.

In my personal opinion, if you can use it then use it. HOWEVER keep in the mind that your opponent walking out of the wilderness is not against the rules either. Upper-wilderness is a different story and prayer there is excepted due to the fact you can't just run away.

Lower wilderness is for "dueling" and "death-matches". Mid to Upper-wilderness is where anything goes. That's the way it's always been and I don't see much of a change anytime soon.

First off real pvp is not safe clan wars lol, just putting that out there.

Secondly, if you train prayer you should be using it, I constantly overhead on peoples combos/high specs.

I didn't train for their benefit.

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

I think this needs to be looked at separately.

Praying overheads in hybrids, deep wildy is fine IMO. Like you said, it might be the only thing to help you survive.

However, in edgeville fights where people are going melee v melee, range v range or range v melee, it's pretty dumb to pray. All that does is make the other person pray, and now you got two people maxing at around 350 and flaming each other. Doesn't make it fun for anyone. IMO it's just better to not pray overheads and accept that you might get ko'd sometimes. Edge is so close to the ditch anyways, for anyone who needs to run, it's not that hard.

Staurolite.png

Since everyone likes comparing runescape to reality.. Would you hold back with self defense so it's a fair fight or would you do what it takes to defend yourself from getting your ass wooped. I take the later.. But this is a game and people don't like to lose so they whine because the other player is more superior to them.

Low_C.png

prayer and summoning are parts of your combat level, but people don't want you do use them

Extremes and Overloads aren't a part of your level....everyone wants to use them in the new wildy.

Makes sense to me!

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Hybriding is the way to counter it, if someone is ill-prepared that's their own problem, the age demographic of pkers means they have to use guides and pictures of what other people use, and not think on their own two feet.

Use prayer, use whatever you want, in PvP there are no rules, no honour codes it's simply kill or be killed, or in my case; run, eat, dig for treasure trail casket & die.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

It's like saying, "Don't use food, it takes to long to kill you!"

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Guess people's responses are typical to that of a skiller based forum, if you are pking with overheads it just takes the fun out imo, unless you are a mid level 1 def pure

Not if you're good at Hybriding.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

For edgeville pking, praying should be looked down upon. With protection prayers, people would rarely die. The chance of KO'ing someone with protection prayers is rather low and without KO'ing not many would die. Almost everyone will run when they are low on food and with protection prayers, you'll just be wasting food fight after fight because it's nearly impossible to kill. However, when you get deeper into the wilderness, while your opponent is busy typing and complaining, take advantage of the opportunity to catch him off guard with a quick special.