[DevBlog] History of RuneScape: The First Four Years

Mil

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think CW was released so early. I had been playing a few months prior to it's release which means I must have missed classic by only a few months.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

It seems Jagex is really going to back to their roots and appreciating the older members of the game. :thumbup:

Why lol, then just rollback to the golden age 05-06 and not implement chaotic / gs / [cabbage] into our wild

I'm finding it hard to believe how close I started relative to RS2's launch, because I remember when P-Mods were established but I don't remember it being in that order...

I'm pretty sure I started when Runecrafting was released.

Unfortunately the earliest screenshots I have are from Construction.

Runecrafting was released with RS2 and Player Moderators were released on 14-Jun-2004 (Source).

Stellactic.gif

I'm finding it hard to believe how close I started relative to RS2's launch, because I remember when P-Mods were established but I don't remember it being in that order...

I'm pretty sure I started when Runecrafting was released.

Unfortunately the earliest screenshots I have are from Construction.

Runecrafting was released with RS2 and Player Moderators were released on 14-Jun-2004 (Source).

Ah alright well I just remember when I began playing people were still treating Rune Mysteries as a new deal...

2dgucz6.png

It seems Jagex is really going to back to their roots and appreciating the older members of the game. :thumbup:

Why lol, then just rollback to the golden age 05-06 and not implement chaotic / gs / [cabbage] into our wild

PKers comprise a very small portion of the overall player-base. I don't know why you expect Jagex to update the game around you.

td2sig.jpg

Started playing in 2005. After reading this it seems like I missed out on some fun times.. :thumbsup:

The best times!

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

I didn't think CW was released so early. I had been playing a few months prior to it's release which means I must have missed classic by only a few months.

World map said castle wars coming dec-04, then there was the slayer tower saying coming january 05 (but it wasnt named slayer tower) people said it was castlewars in the wilderness, I guess they got that one wrong eh :P

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I never realized how early I actually started playing. They were good times, very good times. I still enjoy it, though.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Certainly an interesting read, however the writing is kinda bland. Granted, if they tried to spice it up and include every noteworthy or interesting update they might make it too long, and a lot of people might not bother reading it.

It's too bad that I started this account so soon after the implementation of RS2. I would've loved to have been around for RSC when it was in it's prime, just so I could see what all the hype is about. Still, it is always interesting to consider just how far the game has come in the time I've been playing.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

I started October '04. I ignored lots of what was happening in the members world, haha. Before I finally got the balls and asked for membership some three years later.

Getting my Yo-Yo is the earliest thing I can remember.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

C I would've loved to have been around for RSC when it was in it's prime, just so I could see what all the hype is about. Still, it is always interesting to consider just how far the game has come in the time I've been playing.

lol when rs1 was at its prime the boards here were sometimes unbearable, granted i did my best to participate , and so did Mercifull as far as I remember , haha!

The drama - oh the drama!!

I loved that stuff got started here on tip.it and than carried over in-game, be it clan relationships tearing apart or boyfriend/girlfriend relationships ending in wilderness backstabbing.

Than came round 2, flaiming eachother :)

But yes, the blog could be 10x longer and still be very interesting to read.

Rune was supposed to be purple for example, Paul walked around with a purple helmet in the game a few times getting people to follow him around. Andrew is quoted for saying that "there most like won't be a rune 2 hander in Runescape, as such a weapon would be far too powerful". Thats some funny stuff right there.

They already got something wrong.

There was no deep wildy when members' first came out. That only came out after agility, due to the deep wildy course.

Otherwise, it's a great walk down nostalgia lane (inb4 xxshady)

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Paul didn't mention the underground farm...;)

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

There was no deep wildy when members' first came out. That only came out after agility, due to the deep wildy course.

I'm pretty sure deep wildy came with members, that's why there is a fence and a gate.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'm pretty sure deep wildy came with members, that's why there is a fence and a gate.

I'm very pretty certain that the Deep Wilderness didn't come out with Tavelery and Catherby, though. It was added at some point with the Deep Wildy Agility Course. Especially since the teleport lever from Ardounge wasn't always there, right?

It's really been so long. Ardounge's release felt really great, this city just popped up out of nowhere with tons of things to do.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I remember doing the Underground Pass the day it came out, before the era of multiple fansites racing to see who puts up their quest guide first. It took a long ass time, especially because I had to leave and return multiple times due to running out of food. The large spike pit half-way through where you had the option to pick a lock to bypass it was especially difficult. Lots of fun, though. Quite a memorable experience.

td2sig.jpg

Ahhh day one of the underground pass, I remember that day. And its also one of the few RSC things I have a screenshot to hand of right now.

questundergroundpass003sx1.png

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Launch of Asgarnia - 6th April 2001

The kingdom of Asgarnia was our biggest update up to this point, which included Falador, Ice Mountain , the Dwarven Mine, Port Sarim, Rimmington and four new quests . Players could see developments of the new kingdom on the other side of a fence, so this was a highly anticipated update. When we launched it, lots of players logged on to play and we passed 1,000 simultaneous players for the first time.

The day I started playing. I had heard of the game from a friend from a week or so prior to this, but didn't think the game was interesting. Then Asgarnia came out, and I took the plunge.

Good read, but I agree with those that thought this wasn't really a large recap - lots of RSC lore could easily have been added (Dragon Quest, new magic/prayer system, fatigue, a compendium of bugs perhaps, etc.)

weathermatt.png

diy_wmatt.png

I'm trying to figure out when I joined. I remember getting a yo-yo on my first account. I also remember being excited for my members friend when slayer came out. I was f2p at the time though..

Where does that put me?

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.