Deflect curses at Barrows

tonguetamer3

I have recently been doing some trips at Barrows and I noticed something that I haven't seen anywhere else. My deflection curses were deflecting back large amounts of damage. I have yet to catch a screenshot of it, but just today I deflected a 296 back on Karil and a 206 back on Ahrim.

Prior to the hitsplats update I probably would have dismissed these as my actual melee hits, but now I can see where the damage came from. (I will try to get a screenshot as soon as I can).

Is this unique to Barrows, or have I just never noticed it anywhere else?

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

@ Above, its because of the Vearcs.

It's been a bug for some time now actually. I reported it like 1-2 months after curses came out, and it has yet to be fixed.

Basically how it works is, every Barrows set has a random effect. The effect activates on game ticks, and lasts for a period of time past just combat ticks. Sometimes the Verac's effect, which ignores prayer and defense, will still be active when the deflect damage is calculated, and it treats the deflect as a normal hit. This is why you see the deflect show such high damage.

The bug itself is semi-rare due to the fact it cannot be "forced", since you have to rely on the random special activating at *just* the right time for it to work.

It's been a bug for some time now actually. I reported it like 1-2 months after curses came out, and it has yet to be fixed.

Basically how it works is, every Barrows set has a random effect. The effect activates on game ticks, and lasts for a period of time past just combat ticks. Sometimes the Verac's effect, which ignores prayer and defense, will still be active when the deflect damage is calculated, and it treats the deflect as a normal hit. This is why you see the deflect show such high damage.

The bug itself is semi-rare due to the fact it cannot be "forced", since you have to rely on the random special activating at *just* the right time for it to work.

Uhm I doubt this woudl be true:

dharock training with reflects would yield massive deflects then! - Might actually mean the fastest way to kill single combat monsters?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

dharock training with reflects would yield massive deflects then! - Might actually mean the fastest way to kill single combat monsters?

I thought this too. Any sort of sign that Dharok's is similarly effected? And how about the other sets as well? Maybe an additional reduction in strength for Ahrim's or extra healing for Guthan's? Torag's and Karil's are rather... Nulled for this. Lol.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Guthan's heal effect is triggered by deflects sometimes

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

No, it has to do with verac's ability to bypass defense and prayers. If that effect kicks in, you get the bit on a deflect. What this means is that the deflect is calculated with a defense/prayer reduction, which is the cause of it. The verac set effect removes that "limiter" and gives you the high hit.

Other sets don't have that effect, and would not be affected.

it shows up as a deflect hit, instead of a melee hit.

As explained in the post by Myu above, it is a bug due to the Veracs effect carrying over to the deflect. Your melee hit does not show up as a deflect icon.

The bug bypasses its 10% limit on deflects (due the Veracs ability to ignore prayer and defense) and is re-calculated as if the player hit an additional hit. Since deflects always hit, the new calculated deflect is always 100% accurate. To be clear, you can get a normal 200(melee icon) and deflect a 200 (deflect icon) at the same time doing a total of 400 damage in one combat cycle with both icons showing up.

As far as I'm aware I've never seen this happen in any pvp scenario, so it appears to only be a problem with NPC's. I'ts been around since curses were released, so had it been in PvP someone would have complained/abused it by now.

so had it been in PvP someone would have complained/abused it by now.

Or they could have just dismissed it as lag.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

So the picture with the Zilyana deflect hit means Zilyana would have hit 358 if he didn't have deflect magic on?

That's the strange part, now isn't it? Because her max hit with mage (and Melee) is only 315...

It'll be interesting to see if this can be used with Nex...

It will work with anything in runescape that deals damage that you can protect from via prayers. Assuming range/melee/mage deflect work on Nex, then yes, this glitch will work.

Sumondskull6.png

So the picture with the Zilyana deflect hit means Zilyana would have hit 358 if he didn't have deflect magic on?

That's the strange part, now isn't it? Because her max hit with mage (and Melee) is only 315...

My take on the matter is this...

The deflect damage is not the monster hitting itself, but rather handled as the player dealing the damage. When the monster attacks you with a deflect prayer up, the damage that would be dealt to the player is prevented as normal. The game checks what damage would have been dealt to the player, and then has the player deal a hit to the monster for set damage equal to 10% of the damage that was prevented. In this case with Veracs equipped, this cap is no longer considered and the player damages the monster as if it was a normal hit, without concern for how much damage was prevented. This means that the deflect damage is calculated using the player`s stats, and not the monster whose damage was reflected. This would allow for large hits such as this to occur.

Obviously this is just speculation.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts