Onyx Ring (i)

gago

It's better at nex because it gives attack and range attack bonuses, rather than just a strength or just a range bonus.

..and a magic defence bonus!

The lowest magic defence tanks at Nex, so every bit counts.. Especially in Void+deflector teams where the only difference in magic defence is:

ACP/Pbody

Necklace (should be fury)

Cape (should be ava's)

Infinity/rangers boots (note that the difference in magic defence between the 2 are lower than the onyx (i) magic defence bonus)

Ring (archers/seers/onyx - onyx (i) magic defence is higher than the un-imbued seers an its range offence better than the un-imbued archers)

Boeg.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that just makes your team mates take more damage. I guess more magic defence is useful in rsof teams then.

and your argument is?....

Someone obviously has to take the dmg, and if you want to share the load you can unequip the ring.. this is a topic about the usefullness of the onyx (i) ring, so let me ask again:

your argument is.. what exactly?

Boeg.png

The total damage taken in the whole team stays the same?

And if you brew-share like you're meant to be doing, Range attack bonus is far more useful than Magic Defence bonus at Nex.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

And if you brew-share like you're meant to be doing, Range attack bonus is far more useful than Magic Defence bonus at Nex.

1. Alot of people use rsof teams, and they dont share as often.

2. Onyx (i) gives both magic def and ranged offence

..and plz remember this is a topic about where the onyx (i) ring is usefull; NOT your individual nexin teams, and if they share food/tanking or not.

Boeg.png

1. Alot of people use rsof teams, and they dont share as often.

2. Onyx (i) gives both magic def and ranged offence

..and plz remember this is a topic about where the onyx (i) ring is usefull; NOT your individual nexin teams, and if they share food/tanking or not.

I know it does.

I would take +2 Range attack over +6 Magic Defence at Nex any day, especially with phases like Zaros and Blood (in particular) where you need to OutDPS her in a small time interval, especially for smaller teams, or it'll end up taking a LOT more time and you'll take a LOT more damage.

And the offensive bonuses other than the ranged attack one don't mean jack (at least for the pure ranging setup, if you want to hybrid then I'd agree that onyx (i) is up there in usefulness,) because the only time you should be meleeing is when you claw spec, and when you claw spec, you should be bringing a ring of vigour switch.

So it all comes down to +2 Range attack (Archer's (i) over Onyx (i)) versus +6 Magic defence (Onyx (i) over Archer's (i)), and i'd take +2 Range Attack over +6 Magic Defence anyday.

dungensweapers.png

JOIN CHICKENSWEEPERS TODAY! FUN, FREE, AND IT WON'T MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'VE JUST BEEN ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS, OR YOUR MONEY BACK!

So it all comes down to +2 Range attack (Archer's (i) over Onyx (i)) versus +6 Magic defence (Onyx (i) over Archer's (i)), and i'd take +2 Range Attack over +6 Magic Defence anyday.

Well, i hope we get to team up then; Because in a void team this will be the difference between you tanking and me tanking.

And i would argue that i can out-dps anyone that has to eat every 3'rd attack.

If im in a non-void team, I would look at our shields: If there was a few Divine/Elysians i would take the archers (i) ring, because i wouldnt get to tank with my Eek/Spectral (which are also better at nex because no dmg is better than reduced dmg.. but lets not go there). If there is one thing that this thread has established, it is that the onyx (i) is a niche-ring: Its niche isn't "Nex teams", but almost every "Void, Nex teams".. (example:) Especially if you are the only 1 with an ACP insted of Pbody, where the onyx (i)'s magic defence will make the difference.

Boeg.png

Well, i hope we get to team up then; Because in a void team this will be the difference between you tanking and me tanking.

If im in a non-void team, I would look at our shields: If there was a few Divine/Elysians i would take the archers (i) ring, because i wouldnt get to tank with my Eek/Spectral (which are also better at nex because no dmg is better than reduced dmg.. but lets not go there). If there is one thing that this thread has established, it is that the onyx (i) is a niche-ring: Its niche isn't "Nex teams", but almost every "Void, Nex teams".. (example:) Especially if you are the only 1 with an ACP insted of Pbody, where the onyx (i)'s magic defence will make the difference.

Are you one of those people (in dungeoneering) that afk in base, make armour, and hoard food?

Same principle.

Ran out of arguments so you resolved to namecalling eh?

I really have a hard time figuring out how a discussion about an ingame ring, ended up beeing about how I play dungeoneering.. I think something might be wrong with you.....

Boeg.png

Ran out of arguments so you resolved to namecalling eh?

I really have a hard time figuring out how a discussion about an ingame ring, ended up beeing about how I play dungeoneering.. I think something might be wrong with you.....

It's quite obvious you're a selfish player when it comes to team events. At nex you care about how much damage YOU take rather what benefits the team overall. Aslong as you don't have to tank, you're happy.

Hence why he says you're probably a hoarder in dungeons (aslong as I have food, I'm fine. Don't care about the team).

He's different in that way. He thinks about what benefits the team overall because he realises if the team overall does better, it's highly likely that you YOURSELF do better aswell (even though you might end up doing worse on a single run here and there).

And I follow his logic on this one considering your posts. Your playing a team game at nex, not solo

"obvious"?

Fine, if you dont want any posts from anyone that doesn't agree with you, dont start a thread, and don't bother viewing/commenting this thread.

Actually, its not that i dont agree with you, all ive said is that i prefere the magic defence over a mere +2 rnaged offence, and ive given my reasons.

All of a sudden im selfish and whatnot; but thats ok.. you couldn't come up with a counter-argument, you resolve to namecalling.. kids do that, i understand.

I wont bother trying to argue my point / view this thread anymore; Kids "obviously" doesn't care :rolleyes:

Boeg.png

Your reason for preferring an onyx ring is based on not wanting to take one for the team, which is fine and all, but you'll get faster kills when everyone takes one for the team. You're essentially settling for second best because your teammates do it too.

As for eeks/spectral being better than divine/ely, that's just ridiculous. Nex has plenty of multi-target attacks and melee attacks that are affected by the latter two and not by the former two (ely/divine have higher melee defence, which helps with tanking as well), not to mention that the straight-up damage reduction more than makes up for the lower magic defence. If you don't want to tank, that's fine, but that doesn't exactly show team spirit, which is crucial at Nex.

Thirdly, I'd like to remind you to not call people 'kid'. It's patronising, and it doesn't make you cool (quite the opposite really).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Are you one of those people (in dungeoneering) that afk in base, make armour, and hoard food?

Same principle.

Not really, afking and skilling in Dungeoneering slows down both yourself and your team, having +6 more Slash/Stab/Crush/Range/Magic defence and -2 less Range attack at Nex could potentially increase your DPS. You really think +2 Range attack is going to make more difference than +6 every defence at a boss where you actually need Defence?

10xy5fk.png

Your reason for preferring an onyx ring is based on not wanting to take one for the team, which is fine and all, but you'll get faster kills when everyone takes one for the team. You're essentially settling for second best because your teammates do it too.

As for eeks/spectral being better than divine/ely, that's just ridiculous. Nex has plenty of multi-target attacks and melee attacks that are affected by the latter two and not by the former two (ely/divine have higher melee defence, which helps with tanking as well), not to mention that the straight-up damage reduction more than makes up for the lower magic defence. If you don't want to tank, that's fine, but that doesn't exactly show team spirit, which is crucial at Nex.

Thirdly, I'd like to remind you to not call people 'kid'. It's patronising, and it doesn't make you cool (quite the opposite really).

this is not about beeing "cool", taking 1 for the team, which shield is better.. or any of that..

this is a thread about where the onyx ring (i) is usefull.

When not even the moderators realize that, i loose hope..

not beeing forced to tank every single kill, is not-not taking 1 for the team. If your team needs brews/rests and you ahve spares, ofcourse you share IVE NEVER [bleep]ING CLAIMED ANY DIFFERENT. I invite any idiot that thinks tanking every single kill isn't bad; to go in dhide with an armadyl team, and see how fun it is to be focussed 100% of the time.. even when your team shares supplies.

From your replies, it seems that you don't come across people willig to share supplies at Nex vry often.. So: Isn't it better to be the 1 with the onyx ring (i) willing to share supplies, than the 1 without, hoping that their team is willing to share?

for the 110'th time, this is a thread about the ring, not me.. so i'll stop replying untill someone makes a post about the ring

Boeg.png

Weren't you not going to post anymore :rolleyes:

If your team needs brews/rests and you ahve spares, ofcourse you share IVE NEVER [bleep]ING CLAIMED ANY DIFFERENT. I invite any idiot that thinks tanking every single kill isn't bad; to go in dhide with an armadyl team, and see how fun it is to be focussed 100% of the time.. even when your team shares supplies.

is that equal to : i hate tanking nex so ill lower my dps and increase my defense so someone else has to tank?

if you still fail at reading: that is about archer vs onyx NOT ABOUT YOU

lol

i don't wanna discuss this with someone who has never been at Nex..

What lowers your dps at NEx isnt a +/- 2 ranged offence.. it's not knowing how to Nex, and other people screwing it up for you

i know you arent satisfied with this post either, and i have no illusion of ever convincing you.

I just hope that someone that hasnt already made up their mind, blindly believes you when you say archers>onyx i

goign all out on offence, not sacrificing any for defence is not always the way to go.

just like a divine+rapier/cls is better than dragon defender+rapier/cls at solo bandos.

Boeg.png

Do you agree that higher range bonus=faster nex kills? We assume the player knows how to nex (without which, archer i vs onyx is the same story anyways).

^and defender > divine for DPS. Furthermore, 2 attack vs 6 defence is far from the dramatical difference that ddef vs divine makes, so it's not really a good example

Also good job on all the personal attacks. I thought the mods would do something about that.

As for your request about good uses of the onyx i ring; tribriding, say dks, or pvp?

Onyx ring (i) is useful at Nex mainly because it gives a bonus of +6 slash (about 7-8% increase to your slash attack depending on other gear/switches) while only giving up +2 range attack (about a 1% drop depending on gear). The argument about needing to out-DPS Nex during certain phases means that hitting with claws are crucial on those parts. You can get in about 7-8 claw specs on an average kill with a 5-6man team using special recovers. It can't really be used as a switch because then you would want zerker/warrior and archer rings (i).

The defence bonuses are merely nice additional add-ons.

2496 Completionist

I find choosing between strength (+10 strength) and glory (+6 str, +10 accuracy) difficult. Sacrifice +4 strength for +10 accuracy? Probably not.

Zerk ring (+8 str) vs Onyx ring (+6 accuracy) is a no brainer for me. Sacrifice +8 strength for +6 accuracy? Hell no.

To be fair, i just wear ferocious ring 24/7 when slaying :D

CNqWHdA.jpg

Onyx ring (i) is useful at Nex mainly because it gives a bonus of +6 slash (about 7-8% increase to your slash attack depending on other gear/switches) while only giving up +2 range attack (about a 1% drop depending on gear). The argument about needing to out-DPS Nex during certain phases means that hitting with claws are crucial on those parts. You can get in about 7-8 claw specs on an average kill with a 5-6man team using special recovers. It can't really be used as a switch because then you would want zerker/warrior and archer rings (i).

This.

I don't really think an archer (i) --> warrior (i) switch is worth the inventory space. Onyx is great because it gives good slash and range bonus, while also providing more defence than any ring - it makes her miss more. Yes, she'll also tank less, but ideally everyone will have the onyx ring so this won't be a case of someone being selfish.

This.

I don't really think an archer (i) --> warrior (i) switch is worth the inventory space. Onyx is great because it gives good slash and range bonus, while also providing more defence than any ring - it makes her miss more. Yes, she'll also tank less, but ideally everyone will have the onyx ring so this won't be a case of someone being selfish.

You should be using a ring of vigour for specs.

Getting in 10% more specs, as well as the non-trivial +3 str bonus is far more useful than +6 slash bonus.

It was never a debate of specs, it was a debate of +2 Ranged vs +6 in Defences (archer (i) vs onyx (i)) when you're ranging Nex, and I still stand by the fact that +2 Ranged for everyone on stages that are a pain (like blood) will help more than slightly more defence.

dungensweapers.png

Onyx (i) is useful at solo Armadyl, as the Defence speeds up kills faster than an extra +2 Ranged attack.

There's the answer to your question, it's better almost anywhere that you're maging or ranging and taking enough damage that Defence is needed. If you're meleeing, berserker (i) or vigour will almost always outstrip it as there aren't any monsters in RS where Attack bonus is more useful than Strength bonus when meleeing.

For example, if you were to DK without a cannon, not killing Supreme, it'd be better to use an onyx (i) for Prime/Rex. Once you kill Supreme though, it'd be better to use berserker (i)/vigour, and if you were to cannon prime, you'd be better off with a seers (i).

10xy5fk.png