Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 9th January 2011

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

i agree with the first article. runescape's community has changed. it is filled too many holier-than-though players condescending from their ivory towers about how horrible "aspect X" is for the game.

if you played this game for fun you wouldn't worry about what others are doing :thumbup:

If you truly believe that, than you're living in very socially isolated... This is a multiplayer game last I checked, based around player interaction... Some of the updates have indeed killed off parts of the player-to-player interactive bits, and I have every right to say that that is a bad thing for the game as a whole...

You might think my views are conflicted when I say "what others do affects me" and "player interaction should be encouraged and not killed off", but do not get me wrong here:

While I believe that this is, and should remain always, a multiplayer game where what other people do directly or indirectly affects me, I abhor some of the actions of others (such as botters)... I wish for Jagex NOT to remove the player interaction so I would no longer be affected by it, but instead remove those that affect me in a negative way...

You may think that this line of thought comes from an ivory tower, but in the real world you would not want to stop going outside your house, even if you got mugged or beaten every time you closed the door behind you... It's a debate on what's right and what's not...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Brett_is_God
[ Display Name History ]

Brett_is_God

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Brett is God
Very insightful article, also fun to read. Not much else to do while i fish anyway :P

cultjunky
[ Display Name History ]

cultjunky

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Cultjunky

i agree with the first article. runescape's community has changed. it is filled too many holier-than-though players condescending from their ivory towers about how horrible "aspect X" is for the game.

if you played this game for fun you wouldn't worry about what others are doing :thumbup:

If you truly believe that, than you're living in very socially isolated... This is a multiplayer game last I checked, based around player interaction... Some of the updates have indeed killed off parts of the player-to-player interactive bits, and I have every right to say that that is a bad thing for the game as a whole...

You might think my views are conflicted when I say "what others do affects me" and "player interaction should be encouraged and not killed off", but do not get me wrong here:

While I believe that this is, and should remain always, a multiplayer game where what other people do directly or indirectly affects me, I abhor some of the actions of others (such as botters)... I wish for Jagex NOT to remove the player interaction so I would no longer be affected by it, but instead remove those that affect me in a negative way...

You may think that this line of thought comes from an ivory tower, but in the real world you would not want to stop going outside your house, even if you got mugged or beaten every time you closed the door behind you... It's a debate on what's right and what's not...

To an extent, Bladewing has a point, although not neccessarily put across in a positive way, and perhaps easily taken to heart by someone who is often villified by the forum community. Playing RS for fun is fundamentally what we all do, if botters and merch clans manipulate resource prices, it should be remembered that the XP isn't maninpulated, as the immortal Billie Holiday put it - "they can't take that away from me". Nor can the satifsaction one gets from achieving a personal goal. I'm assuming that Bladewing hasn't been the victim of a spam attack or a ddos attack, as such, many of us that are concerned about the power a corrupt clan has to effect an individuals participation in the game could sound like doomsayers at best, condescension at worse.

However, I don't believe there is an element of 'Ivory tower-speak' or condescension within the essay, or within the responses in this thread. It just happens to be a mature discussion that has elicited a mature response. We do have to keep in mind, that there are varying levels of interaction within the RS community. Personally, I'm not in a clan, I've never played Castle Wars, visited a God Dungeon or even played dungeoneering! But I do try to help fellow players and add to discussions on a couple of forums if I feel that I have something to add. That level of interaction is enough for me. Equally, there are varying levels of language command, age, social staus etc, that can effect an individuals perspective of, and level of participation within the game.

It's unfortunate that there are elements within the game that do have a negative impact upon the enjoyment of the game. Prior to the removal of Wildy, these almost reached a tipping point where, especially in the F2P game, there was no community because of the negative aspects that were mentioned within the essay. Fingers crossed we've learned from history.
Posted Image

i_m_darkness
[ Display Name History ]

i_m_darkness

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Wardi
  • Clan:The Titans
I'm too lazy to read every post in this thread, so forgive me if I say something repetitive.

I have little to no faith in Jagex' capability to catch bots. Or maybe differently, their ability to punish them. A few months back I knew quite a few people botting runecrafting on their main account (I still know them, but I think they stopped it). They weren't worried about getting banned for this or anything, they simply warned eachother to stop after the 2nd warning from Jagex (or something similar). So basically, Jagex caught some of them twice, but the most those people got as a punishment was a week ban, two weeks maybe? Nothing to be bothered about if you're making money like that and gaining runecrafting levels, still considered one of the more difficult skills to get up.

This very reason made me vote no on the referendum without needing any more thoughts, and it was the sole one. My reasoning is that bots aren't as widespread anymore because people have to use the botting programs on their main account to have any real use. Remove the trade limit and people will find a way to bot on another account and pass on the wealth in ways that wont arouse too much suspicion. I can see the botting becoming widespread enough again that jagex' won't be able to look into every case individually to find out where the money went to (not surprising with the amount of players). The things we "gain" with the removal of limits seem too insignificant to play any role whatsoever compared to this huge negative side.

Yes, pking and gaining everything of the other player might have been more fun, and giving a friend a proper birthday present was always nice. However, the current approach actually works, whereas the other one never managed to prove even that.

Why change a winning team?
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users