Nex Strategy Discussion

TheAncient

I, too, would have to disagree with your orders of weapons. Obviously, the hand cannon is way too low on the list, with the new bow way too high on the list. I don't really know where you got the 600k/h figure, but it seems too high to me. For frost dragons i've found the cost at around 350k an hour over 10k shots testing, and considering you won't get anywhere near 800 shots per hour at Nex(too many pauses etc), 300k an hour should be a more meaningful number(with 99 fm, obviously). That's really not a ridiculous cost, and consideing chaotics and the new bow will likely degrade quite fast in the boss room(fast hits and many monsters), i'd safely put hand cannon just below ccbow+ely/divine, with the new bow only being better if you don't have ccbow or 99 fm. It's also likely the new bow has a relatively short range(like god bows), while hand cannon has a really long range.

Another thing is the notion that void is always best. If you can get your hands on some Pernix, considering the extra healing from brews/unicorn, the added damage of void wouldn't likely be able to match that.

As or grimys comments, 33% specrate seems a bit high to me too. With nothing boosting the specrate, the spec of ruby bolts used to be extremely rare(2-3 times per 90 seconds). Should definitely look into it. As for the diamond bolt spec, it seems as though it hits 10% higher and ignores all or most of defense.

Another thing i see could be considered is if using SWH spec is worth it or not, and in which situations it is or isn't worth it.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If range is coming into play, maybe the MSL could feature? Obviously it doesn't have the same hitting power as a crossbow or cannon, but it should be hitting more often and able to hit from good distance. And the strength bonus isnt terrible when used with god arrows and also taking into account the occasional bonus damage.

It probably is still terrible, but I can't really test it at the moment. Thoughts?

5 kills a trip 10 man

whose managed to pull that off yet?

btw right now I'm inclined to advocate diamond bolt, but blood bolts for the early part of the soulsplit phase, and the blood phase (except against reavers)

im pretty sure blood bolts are better DPS than diamond bolts.

since a blood spec is essentially an over 2x damage spec.

ud need a pretty hefty damage and accuracy negation to be better than 2x damage.

granted diamond bolts wont leech ur health hence id recommend it for durations of nex fights where dps is not as important.

Well we've had 10-12 man masses and managed 5 kills it isn't that hard ;)

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I, too, would have to disagree with your orders of weapons. Obviously, the hand cannon is way too low on the list, with the new bow way too high on the list. I don't really know where you got the 600k/h figure, but it seems too high to me. For frost dragons i've found the cost at around 350k an hour over 10k shots testing, and considering you won't get anywhere near 800 shots per hour at Nex(too many pauses etc), 300k an hour should be a more meaningful number(with 99 fm, obviously). That's really not a ridiculous cost, and consideing chaotics and the new bow will likely degrade quite fast in the boss room(fast hits and many monsters), i'd safely put hand cannon just below ccbow+ely/divine, with the new bow only being better if you don't have ccbow or 99 fm. It's also likely the new bow has a relatively short range(like god bows), while hand cannon has a really long range.

Another thing is the notion that void is always best. If you can get your hands on some Pernix, considering the extra healing from brews/unicorn, the added damage of void wouldn't likely be able to match that.

As or grimys comments, 33% specrate seems a bit high to me too. With nothing boosting the specrate, the spec of ruby bolts used to be extremely rare(2-3 times per 90 seconds). Should definitely look into it. As for the diamond bolt spec, it seems as though it hits 10% higher and ignores all or most of defense.

Another thing i see could be considered is if using SWH spec is worth it or not, and in which situations it is or isn't worth it.

he got the 600k gp/hour figure from me.

And my personal experience with handcannons, I have blown handcannons at a rate over 2x the number you gave me.

and i've blown about 20 handcannons at this point, so I don't consider my data pool trivial either.

granted im 97 fm and ur... 99 i think?

Naaxi.png

And my personal experience with handcannons, I have blown handcannons at a rate over 2x the number you gave me.

and i've blown about 20 handcannons at this point, so I don't consider my data pool trivial either.

There is still the problem that the figure is per 800 shots, not an hour at nex, also that we have no idea how firemaking level affects the blowup rate, it's not likely the real figures are accurate for either of us, but that the real figure is somewhere between the two, not to mention the fact that hand cannons have dropped in price lately. Blatantly using 600k an hour is BS.

There is still the problem that the figure is per 800 shots, not an hour at nex, also that we have no idea how firemaking level affects the blowup rate, it's not likely the real figures are accurate for either of us, but that the real figure is somewhere between the two, not to mention the fact that hand cannons have dropped in price lately. Blatantly using 600k an hour is BS.

600k gp/hour was the figure i gave him for endless firing at 99 fm.

lets assume 1/800 explosion rate at say, 99 fm, which is what my personal data indicates.

Then assume 190 gp handcannon shot, and 250k gp hand cannons.

and 1200 shots fired per hour if done nonstop.

that translates to 603k gp/hour for endless firing.

i mean sure, assuming endless firing isnt ideal because nex hops around so much.

but ultimately linearly related to the actual expenditure rate.

and since we don't know how fast people actually spend ammo at Nex, we'll use the number 600k gp/hour as it can, for the moment, be used constructively so long as it is acknowledged to be the rate for endless firing.

maybe the point you're trying to make is that handcannons cost 500 gp a shot

and we shouldnt imply that through 600k gp/hour

but either way this is trivial.

the number we're trying to communicate is 500 gp a shot.

Let's not blow this up any further.

Naaxi.png

maybe the point you're trying to make is that handcannons cost 500 gp a shot

and we shouldnt imply that through 600k gp/hour

but either way this is trivial.

the number we're trying to communicate is 500 gp a shot.

Let's not blow this up any further.

Yeah, that's more of what i'm trying to say. I've never got more than around 820 shots in an hour at frost dragons, so it's likely you'd get even less for Nex, which is why you can't use per hour figure in this occasion. 300-400k an hour seems realistic at nex.

poison- pretty simple hit and run, not that hard just try to range it and stay out of the center. I do not know if there is a way to prevent getting sucked in considering i was on the edge once and it just pulled me straight to the center

shadow- really easy, shuffle between 2 spots clicking on one, attacking nex, clicking on the other, didn't use more than 2 doses 4 manning

blood- waste of brews, tried melee'ing, rigour + ranging, maging its just the longest everytime

ice- easy with range, attack stalagmites if you're near someone whose frozen but chances are more times than not they'll get hit big doesn't use much food

zaros- also like blood, barrage spams 300 heals easilly, tried dd'ing, it maged a lot less but it was still ss'ing back pretty fast from melee

in a bigger team blood is probably the easiest in that its heals are just too insignificant for the damage it takes whereas ice is harder because of bpiles people get into

5 kills a trip 10 man

whose managed to pull that off yet?

btw right now I'm inclined to advocate diamond bolt, but blood bolts for the early part of the soulsplit phase, and the blood phase (except against reavers)

im pretty sure blood bolts are better DPS than diamond bolts.

since a blood spec is essentially an over 2x damage spec.

ud need a pretty hefty damage and accuracy negation to be better than 2x damage.

granted diamond bolts wont leech ur health hence id recommend it for durations of nex fights where dps is not as important.

I had well over half of my supplies left in an 11-man trip with a random RSOF team after 2 kills. Could've easily gone 4 kills, maybe 5, if the rest of the team didn't start running out of supplies. I've been trying to find a good team for a while, but I'm pretty sure a good 10-man team can easily kill 4 per trip, 5 if they're coordinated enough and geared properly.

Did 4 kills in my last RSOF team of ~12 people, people are finally starting to fail a bit less at this.

Would love more info on droprates, and on what the bow is like.

Hopefully once smaller teams become prevalent the armour won't be too hard to get via lootshare.

Did 4 kills in my last RSOF team of ~12 people, people are finally starting to fail a bit less at this.

Would love more info on droprates, and on what the bow is like.

Hopefully once smaller teams become prevalent the armour won't be too hard to get via lootshare.

Are you looking for a smaller LS team ATM? Trying to find one myself right now, most RSOF teams turn into masses.

Are there any FFA teams around? That's where hand cannons could really shine.

Also, is there any confirmation that the max hit on nex is 500, no matter what you use/do? In which case, accuracy could become much more important than brute strength.

Soma: I find it's best to just look for the people asking for the highest requirements :P

xpx: I did notice that while using SWH I hit a few suspicious 500's... same with ruby of course. Anyone else confirm this?

Saw someone advertising FFA team, not sure if this will catch on or not.

The problem i can see with FFA are the minions. If the killer is based on damage on Nex, but you need to kill minions to kill Nex effectively, the teams wouldn't do very well. I'd still like to see some good solo try.

The problem i can see with FFA are the minions. If the killer is based on damage on Nex, but you need to kill minions to kill Nex effectively, the teams wouldn't do very well. I'd still like to see some good solo try.

You can't hit Nex once the minion is attackable though right? So I can only see that as an issue on like the blood phase or something if people purposely let her heal so they can keep attacking while others go for minion.

Has anybody tried an 8 man team all using a godsword, 2 of each?

Wern't godswords created to enslave zaros? Maybe she is weak to them? I dunno.

What? Apart from melee being bad and godswords being bad melee weapons, why would 8 godswords be better than 4? Just can't understand the logic behind this, not to mention Nex seems to be a mage, which explains why melee and mage are bad, while range dominates her.

How does the Korasi sword fare on her? Just wondering, cause even with it launching a mage attack it has surprisable good results on otherwise strong to mage monsters.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

How does the Korasi sword fare on her? Just wondering, cause even with it launching a mage attack it has surprisable good results on otherwise strong to mage monsters.

nex is in multi so KS sucks

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top