Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General Aversion to Degradation

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Soma2035
[ Display Name History ]

Soma2035

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,440 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Maybe we could bury it instead?

SirHartlar
[ Display Name History ]

SirHartlar

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,692 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
I've honestly never had a problem using Barrows armour for things like Slayer and MHing. It's cheaper to buy than Bandos which I don't have the money for right now, and repairing it is extremely cheap and no hassle at all with a repair stand in my house.

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • RSN:Grogthurk

I've honestly never had a problem using Barrows armour for things like Slayer and MHing. It's cheaper to buy than Bandos which I don't have the money for right now, and repairing it is extremely cheap and no hassle at all with a repair stand in my house.

Barrows defence is actually pretty much overkill. I use Rune.

top_lel_face.png

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:mtomali

Possible yes, but knowing Omali as I do, he is in general, a bitter little person.

I wouldn't really consider myself bitter, moreso hopelessly optimistic, and at about 6 feet tall, I'm not exactly little. Person? Alright, you've got me there as my college class was able to deduce that I'm actually a robot.

But yes, I did mean throw your hat into the ring. I take issue with people who criticize without any suggestion of their own. It's not so much a "bitter little person" thing as much as it is an expectation of contribution. If there is a problem, the best way to fix it is to get as many ideas as possible. If the furnace is broken, you either try to fix it yourself or you call a mechanic in to do it for you. You don't sit around complaining about how cold it is.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
I think degrading high level armor isn't a very effective way to counterbalance their high stats. At this point, it's more of a nuisance. Taking a few thousand gp off of your hourly profits while using barrows really doesn't make it any more "balanced". Unless the way to recharge the equipment was more based on skill levels or other accomplishments, it seems like a superficial nuisance.

Perhaps smithing level could have more of an impact on repairing items. Right now, it only reduces cost of barrows equipment slightly. I'd like to see the ability to reinforce barrows armor to last much longer without needing repair, or even to not degrade at all with high smithing levels.

As for Torva, Pernix, and Virtus armor, I can't really say much, seeing as I have no idea how much they cost to repair. However, it's probably more "artificial game balance" to quiet some newbies who think it's "so b0rken".
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

aspeeder
[ Display Name History ]

aspeeder

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

For me it's just my OCD. If I use barrows it just feels like it's wrong or unclean in someway when it degrades.

+1, especially for armor sets if I only use part of it, the different parts being at different stages of degradation is just too much.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
I don't MIND degrading armor. The defence bonuses are still there when you need it. Just think of it
that the degration cost pays for itself. You may not get the full benefit of saving money from using it
but the cost you're paying in return is offering you those incredibly uber stats.
It may not shine when doing slayer (since 1m coins every 10hs can add up) the defence bonus
though is unlike any other so whenever you need that much defence to Pk, monster hunt or w/e
don't even think twice about looking to buy some degrading but powerful armor. :thumbup:

Vex
[ Display Name History ]

Vex

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • RSN:Platebeard
have you thought about seeing a therapist?
Posted Image
http://www.[Caution! Jagex Rule Violation].com

Grogthurk
[ Display Name History ]

Grogthurk

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 811 posts
  • RSN:Grogthurk

It may not shine when doing slayer (since 1m coins every 10hs can add up) the defence bonus

We talking Barrows or Torva?

I can't imagine anyone would use the latter for Slayer.

top_lel_face.png

Sinkhan
[ Display Name History ]

Sinkhan

Ex-Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,662 posts
While a torag's/dharok's/other melee top might be overkill in some situations, it's hard to deny the usefulness of verac's +4. But even with that, the whopping 4k/hr to maintain (50 smith) is enough to turn people off.

I'll agree that it's more of a nuisance than an actual game balance, but OCD and cosmetics aside, I see no good reason why people would refuse to use it.

Triquos
[ Display Name History ]

Triquos

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
I don't like items that degrade unless their hidden ability makes up for the cost, like Guthans. With Torva, the only real difference for me would be the defence stats, and defence I don't really care about because that's what familiars are for, right?

I like the look of Torva, so I guess that will be enough of an incentive to make me pay for any repairs. If only the actual armour pieces didn't cost 200m + an arm + a leg for starters. I'm going to camp abby demons for the next 5 years (or until I can afford a piece o_O).
Posted Image

Shovelmeface
[ Display Name History ]

Shovelmeface

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • RSN:Shovelmeface
  • RSN2:Lolwtfhaxbbq
  • Clan:Lady Heinous

All I do slay pretty much, and it's already enough of a pain that I have to go get new tasks, much less go waste money to recharge armor that's overkill for most tasks. Sure paying for recharge won't make me go broke, but it basically cuts away most of my profit from slaying unless I get a lot of lucky drops.

Lol wut....

You're a higher Slayer level than me yet you say you cannot sustain the use of barrows through Slayer loot?

Posted Image
99 Attack - Done

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Lrn2economics

You've got a bright future ahead living paycheck to paycheck.
So never learn to save. NEVER.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

FirenLazah
[ Display Name History ]

FirenLazah

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • RSN:Atomsk
I dont mind it it all. It takes no time at all to repair it.

Posted Image

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan

Possible yes, but knowing Omali as I do, he is in general, a bitter little person.

I wouldn't really consider myself bitter, moreso hopelessly optimistic, and at about 6 feet tall, I'm not exactly little. Person? Alright, you've got me there as my college class was able to deduce that I'm actually a robot.

But yes, I did mean throw your hat into the ring. I take issue with people who criticize without any suggestion of their own. It's not so much a "bitter little person" thing as much as it is an expectation of contribution. If there is a problem, the best way to fix it is to get as many ideas as possible. If the furnace is broken, you either try to fix it yourself or you call a mechanic in to do it for you. You don't sit around complaining about how cold it is.

Yes, fair enough. Even if you can't fix the furnace, there is nothing wrong with identifying that the furnace is broken and needs fixing. Problem is, if you try to call the mechanics,(Jagex) they'll just tell you it's not that cold and to stop bothering them.

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RSN:Wessan

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for about thirty years. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

As for degradation of items, I do not like them based on the fact that if I earn it, then I have it. I should not have to constantly maintain a digital item. Understandably a car needs maintenance, but not my armour in Runescape. Although I do not like them, I do use such armours as barrows and others that do degrade for the reason that benefits outweigh costs.

wessan.png

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for over half a century. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

Can you name a country where coins of a single alloy are in use? If they have copper in them, you can melt them to make copper.

As for degrading armor, it's funny how the idea surfaced when barrows was released and even more funnier to see how well it has worked in limiting the use of those items. It's great for those with a clear mind that the new armors degrade in that it limits the demand.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Kata_Phfract__the_slayer
[ Display Name History ]

Kata_Phfract__the_slayer

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • RSN:Kata Phract

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for about thirty years. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

As for degradation of items, I do not like them based on the fact that if I earn it, then I have it. I should not have to constantly maintain a digital item. Understandably a car needs maintenance, but not my armour in Runescape. Although I do not like them, I do use such armours as barrows and others that do degrade for the reason that benefits outweigh costs.

runescape is ment to be somewhat real, yea i know we blast huge monsters with magic etc, but point is, sometimes a bit of real-ness leaks in, and haveing to ripair armour is just one of thouse things.

besdies, even if you "earn" the item, you can think of the degradeing as continueing to earn it.
Posted Image
I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Socrates
[ Display Name History ]

Socrates

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Socrates
There appears to be two arguments as to why pepople don't really like it, perhaps three:

• People find it inconvenient to keep recharing
  • People think it's too expensive to keep recharging
    People have some weird OCD where they'd prefer not to use degraded armour

For the rest of us the pro's outweigh the cons for which I am thankful, as someone posted earlier, that there is less demand for the items so they're cheaper for the rest of us.
Posted Image
Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.
99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.
Anyone at Manchester University PM me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users