Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General Aversion to Degradation

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

wioneo
[ Display Name History ]

wioneo

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,410 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:wioneo

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

You've got a bright future ahead living paycheck to paycheck.
So never learn to save. NEVER.

Saving money in a bank does not remove it from the economy.

When you deposit money, that specific bank has more money to potentially lone out which the borrower will spend on an emu farm or something and stimulate the economy.

Burrying works(at least temporarily), though.

EDIT: Also, I don't have time to spend AT LEAST 40 seconds teleporting to my house and repairing crap between tasks if the only bonus is increasing my defense. That ranger armor is a bit more interesting though...and I have a feeling that that will end up as the most expensive set.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 405~46 Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,8 Legs,9 Spear,2 D2h,8 L Half,49 Boots,2 Skirt,2 DDs,9 Lump,8 Claws,56 Dagger,13 Visage,74 Mace,4 Scimitar,2 Hasta,Baxe,51 Long,29 Royal,2 Kite,Ward,Plate,Staff,Hammer
GWD: 151~4 S Staff,72 Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,3 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,Z Boots,B shield

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 3~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl + GWD2: 6~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots 

Etc: 57~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,6 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,4 Rider Armor,4 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,Blood Shard,5 Hydrix,Gland

Capes

J35u5_M4
[ Display Name History ]

J35u5_M4

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • RSN:J35u5 M4
  • Clan:True Maxed
I think the OCD ones looks like the best out of those 3 tbh.

Posted Image

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RSN:Wessan

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for over half a century. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

Can you name a country where coins of a single alloy are in use? If they have copper in them, you can melt them to make copper.

As for degrading armor, it's funny how the idea surfaced when barrows was released and even more funnier to see how well it has worked in limiting the use of those items. It's great for those with a clear mind that the new armors degrade in that it limits the demand.

I cannot name a country, but can you give me an efficient process for separating the copper and zinc as to a point where you are actually "saving or taking money" from it? It already costs 1.65 cents to make one penny. <----- that I had to look up.

To zamorakninja, I understand your point, but I can still not like having to maintain the armour. I said I use it anyway though based on the benefits such armours give.

wessan.png

Douillet
[ Display Name History ]

Douillet

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • RSN:Gemini167
I've looked around quite a lot of places, and I'm sorta curious because I haven't found a real legitimate answer yet, what does the new monster Nex drop exactly?

pulli23
[ Display Name History ]

pulli23

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

To zamorakninja, I understand your point, but I can still not like having to maintain the armour. I said I use it anyway though based on the benefits such armours give.

Which actually brings up the good point:
If the armour wouldn't need repair it would be the "best for everything' "1 size fits all" amour.. Now for small tasks you might consider using cheaper armour as you won't need ko prevention!

Thus by giving it a drawback in the form of a monetary cost, it makes sure old armour doesn't become useless!

First they came to fishing
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews
and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores
and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

xxshady
[ Display Name History ]

xxshady

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xxshady
Degradation is a grindy game mechanic. It's the same reason why people hate temporary guns in those [cabbage] f2p shooters.

If you're the type of person who doesn't see a problem in grinding for months to get a 90+ skill, then you won't understand why people don't like degradation. Once you quit the game and/or obtain some understanding of fun game design, then you'll realize why people don't like it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nifflin
[ Display Name History ]

Nifflin

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,722 posts
  • RSN:Nifflin
  • RSN2:Runnersdie

Lrn2economics

You've got a bright future ahead living paycheck to paycheck.
So never learn to save. NEVER.

Putting money in a bank doesn't take it out of the economy. Even burying it is still a choice, and as a consumer your decisions would be altered by the fact that you know you have a stash, so it still has influence.

When money goes into a sink in RS, it is actually removed, in real life there are far fewer situations where it is removed. I personally would never take money out of the economy, I much rather buy goods with it, mostly for investment though. I'm just curious as to what 0phathead0 could possibly have meant.

PM me in game anytime

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Degradation is a grindy game mechanic. It's the same reason why people hate temporary guns in those [cabbage] f2p shooters.

If you're the type of person who doesn't see a problem in grinding for months to get a 90+ skill, then you won't understand why people don't like degradation. Once you quit the game and/or obtain some understanding of fun game design, then you'll realize why people don't like it.

welcome back to the Runescape section :rolleyes:
I hardly find repairing an item once every....month....a grind, especially when the repairing takes at most 20 seconds.
As for the months for a 90+ skill, most skills don't take months, but I do agree to a point.
A lot of the skills in this game I really don't mind spending time doing, since they're either fun, or afkable, so I can do other things anyways while I do them.
The only 3 skills I've ever had a problem with are Runecrafting, agility and Hunter, because I don't find them fun, and they aren't afkable. Which explains why they're among my lowest stats :P

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods

I see how you designed your post to lead people into reading it and then insult them at the end, given that you're posting it on a fansite for an MMO. Good job, that's totally constructive. [/sarcasm]

I just want to make one suggestion to everyone who doesn't want to get degradable equipment: Get an armour repair point in your house, and maybe get some 'Teleport to House' tablets if you want to use Ancients or Lunars (also acts as a handy one click teleport). Even with mediocre Smithing levels, you can save about a third of the cost, and at higher levels it approaches half. Also, don't let it get damaged to 0, just top it up every so often when you feel like it. The whole thing takes about 20 seconds.

On the flip side, it's 10 hours of solid combat. That pretty much equates to at least once a month for the average player. No biggie.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Myu
[ Display Name History ]

Myu

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 153 posts

welcome back to the Runescape section :rolleyes:
I hardly find repairing an item once every....month....a grind, especially when the repairing takes at most 20 seconds.
As for the months for a 90+ skill, most skills don't take months, but I do agree to a point.
A lot of the skills in this game I really don't mind spending time doing, since they're either fun, or afkable, so I can do other things anyways while I do them.
The only 3 skills I've ever had a problem with are Runecrafting, agility and Hunter, because I don't find them fun, and they aren't afkable. Which explains why they're among my lowest stats :P

You can multitask(not afk) agility and runecrafting with watching movies. Hunter, not so much.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
I don;t see how its such a big inconvenience to slaying. (dg rewards aside)

Alot of quick tele routes invovle going through your house; so just take some coins pop to the workshop grab a hammer and fix it. Plus this way its up to 50% cheaper.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Myu
[ Display Name History ]

Myu

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 153 posts

I don;t see how its such a big inconvenience to slaying. (dg rewards aside)

Alot of quick tele routes invovle going through your house; so just take some coins pop to the workshop grab a hammer and fix it. Plus this way its up to 50% cheaper.

The Alot.

You get the money on the task itself, and the hammer is already in the house.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

You can multitask(not afk) agility and runecrafting with watching movies. Hunter, not so much.

I'd be standing still for an hour in game if I tried to do that.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx

I cannot name a country, but can you give me an efficient process for separating the copper and zinc as to a point where you are actually "saving or taking money" from it? It already costs 1.65 cents to make one penny. <----- that I had to look up.

Firstly, destroying metal coins, atleast in most places, is illegal, secondly, it's not rare that the metal of coins is worth more than the coin itself, and thirdly, it's really not that difficult if done industrially. As for a simple method, try hydrochloric acid- the copper will not react. It's also funny to note that the Estonian crown will be eliminated from use and the metal of coins will be melted and separated into new alloys.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Mike_Ike111
[ Display Name History ]

Mike_Ike111

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Old Granny
I don't like it because it makes the armor seem useless. It becomes a situational armor, like barrows to me. If I were to buy the full set I would only use it when I really needed it, but because there are no monsters in RS that actually needs great defense I would never use it outside of bosses.

The armor is cool and the HP boost is nice, but with the cost of repairing it I will probably never use it. I have no problem staying alive anywhere in RS with just barrows or bandos, so what is the point in going overkill with armor that degrades. However, if it didn't degrade I would use it and use it a lot.
Posted Image

Demario
[ Display Name History ]

Demario

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • RSN:Demario
New Armour is for the future, and in the future there might be new skills or additional makes you better and stronger..

Bandos is a great gear, specially for slayer..
barrows is also a good gear

for new armours, not worth the 10 mil or 5 mil for 10 hrs only ? where we gonna use it ? for slayer ? to show off ? only for nex for now.

i won't replace bandos for now, maybe after i get 99 slayer :P cus am not into fighting/slayer much

My vengeance is everything..
..everything must come to an end

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RSN:Wessan

Firstly, destroying metal coins, atleast in most places, is illegal, secondly, it's not rare that the metal of coins is worth more than the coin itself, and thirdly, it's really not that difficult if done industrially. As for a simple method, try hydrochloric acid- the copper will not react. It's also funny to note that the Estonian crown will be eliminated from use and the metal of coins will be melted and separated into new alloys.

The fact that defacing or destroying money is a given but is the basis of why we began an argument so it does not really matter that it is illegal. Also, the process may be easily achieved industrially, or even small time project possibly, to separate alloys within a coin. However, that does not mean that you can actually make money from the process.

Consider the example of the US penny, comprised of 2.5% copper and 97.5% zinc. The cost of copper is about $4.30 per pound, and zinc is about $1.08 per pound. I highly doubt there is a process that can separate the two metals from pennies making it profitable to do so at the same time, industrial or not.

However, relating it all back to the original discussion, the point is that people and players wish to get the most out of their money. In terms of degrading armour, getting the most out of your money means repairing the armour to get benefits that outweigh the cost of repair.

wessan.png

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

I can hunt perfectly fine while reading forums/watching movies. :P I even watched a ton of movies while getting 99 firemaking.

Demario
[ Display Name History ]

Demario

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • RSN:Demario
SAVE RUNESCAPE COINS/MONEY!!!

All new stuff are expensive, either we wait for years to buy it cheap or get it as a drop (hard for low levels),
Soon all will be poor.. >>back to runescape classic, hard to make 60k to buy rune full helm!!!

Oh! now i remember this story, someone tried to SCAM me back in runescape classic when rune full helm were rare drop from greater demons, they were only in wilderness and hard for us to kill and the trade limit was 60k gp maximum, the guy asked me 62k for the helm... he told me after he receive the 60k he puts the helm and i put 2k.. wohaah but iknew he was scamming so i cancled the trade screen..

WILL SCAMMING BE BACK TO RUNESCAPE AFTER THE FREE TRADE ???

i know jagex they are too clever to let that happen, i think they ar gonna make a great system to catch scammers and hackers.. WATCHOUT!!!!!!!

My vengeance is everything..
..everything must come to an end

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan
I'm right on track getting this armor around April... 2012. And that is only if free trade comes back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users