Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

General Aversion to Degradation

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Demario
[ Display Name History ]

Demario

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Demario

I'm right on track getting this armor around April... 2012. And that is only if free trade comes back.

same but i am on april 2013!!!

My vengeance is everything..
..everything must come to an end

Alistair
[ Display Name History ]

Alistair

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Ali T
Yes, I detest degrading armour. I like the idea of it - I feel it it necessary - but I wouldn't use it myself if there are sufficient non-degrading alternatives. I do use Chaotic Rapier despite the fact it degrades mostly because it is just one piece of weaponry that I can keep track of that helps significantly enough to warrant the bother of paying for degradation.
I'm personally hoping for armour that requires gold bars to maintain instead of gold coins :P Or mage armour that requires body or mind or soul or even fire runes to recharge. Maybe when it comes to the time when there are too many of those items. Naturally, scaling up like Barrows armour so that higher rc levels require fewer runes of course.
Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Zaaptastic
  • RSN2:Zaap Cannon
  • Clan:DGS ☺ Harpies@@@

some people need to keep every gp in this economy irl and irs

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

Zinc, actually. Pennies are mostly zinc anyway.

(Kidding, of course.)

I feel that people who dislike degrading simply don't want to keep worrying about their armor, regardless of the actually efficiency. Makes sense to me, it's the same as one of the reasons why people melee so much more than mage or range, since you never have to worry about ammo.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

How do people take money out irl? Melt pennies to make copper? I can't think of another way...

Lrn2economics

(Kidding, of course.)

I feel that people who dislike degrading simply don't want to keep worrying about their armor, regardless of the actually efficiency. Makes sense to me, it's the same as one of the reasons why people melee so much more than mage or range, since you never have to worry about ammo.

Or because melee is more useful?

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

tuggernongy
[ Display Name History ]

tuggernongy

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • RSN:Epic Lex

Lrn2economics

(Kidding, of course.)

Or because the combat triangle is so unbalanced PvM-wise that killing large numbers of random creaters (hello Slayer skill) is almost always faster to do when you're meleeing them? Though, i guess that would be a reason to call it 'useful'.

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

Oh! now i remember this story, someone tried to SCAM me back in runescape classic when rune full helm were rare drop from greater demons, they were only in wilderness and hard for us to kill and the trade limit was 60k gp maximum, the guy asked me 62k for the helm... he told me after he receive the 60k he puts the helm and i put 2k.. wohaah but iknew he was scamming so i cancled the trade screen..

Runescape classic...trade limit...

Hand over your drugs. Now.
Posted Image

Posted Image

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Or because the combat triangle is so unbalanced PvM-wise that killing large numbers of random creaters (hello Slayer skill) is almost always faster to do when you're meleeing them? Though, i guess that would be a reason to call it 'useful'.

Lol yea, that basically proved what I said :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Lrn2economics

(Kidding, of course.)

Well I never said it was the only reason.

But you can't say that the ammo problem isn't a bother for magers and rangers.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
buy 5k broad bolts, the ammo doesn't bother me for quiet some time :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zaaps1
[ Display Name History ]

Zaaps1

Troll General

• Members
  • 13,035 posts

Can't deny that.

But that's just you, isn't it? I'm sure there are others who aren't bothered, but at the same time, I'm sure there are others who are.

Remember we are talking about possible reasons that some people, as a general statement, might want to melee partly because of the ammo issue.

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RSN:Sir Squab

Lrn2economics

You've got a bright future ahead living paycheck to paycheck.
So never learn to save. NEVER.

Saving money in a bank does not remove it from the economy.

When you deposit money, that specific bank has more money to potentially lone out which the borrower will spend on an emu farm or something and stimulate the economy.

Burrying works(at least temporarily), though.

EDIT: Also, I don't have time to spend AT LEAST 40 seconds teleporting to my house and repairing crap between tasks if the only bonus is increasing my defense. That ranger armor is a bit more interesting though...and I have a feeling that that will end up as the most expensive set.

The ranger armour? Really? From what I've seen, that was the least desirable out of them all o.O

I want the mage armour because... I like mage >.<

Lrn2economics

Just in case you did not know: United States' pennies haven't been made from copper for about thirty years. The outer layer is a copper coating but about 98% of the coin is zinc.

As for degradation of items, I do not like them based on the fact that if I earn it, then I have it. I should not have to constantly maintain a digital item. Understandably a car needs maintenance, but not my armour in Runescape. Although I do not like them, I do use such armours as barrows and others that do degrade for the reason that benefits outweigh costs.

runescape is ment to be somewhat real, yea i know we blast huge monsters with magic etc, but point is, sometimes a bit of real-ness leaks in, and haveing to ripair armour is just one of thouse things.

besdies, even if you "earn" the item, you can think of the degradeing as continueing to earn it.

Except that only the strongest armour needs repair. Weaker armour lasts forever. How does that work?

Frankly, the only degrading armour that makes sense is the crystal bow. Use it for so many shots, and as it degrades it gets weaker. Oh, except for the fact that the crystal bow is made by singing.

Please, please, don't try to relate RS gameplay to reality and physics. Please don't.

Can't deny that.

But that's just you, isn't it? I'm sure there are others who aren't bothered, but at the same time, I'm sure there are others who are.

Remember we are talking about possible reasons that some people, as a general statement, might want to melee partly because of the ammo issue.

That is a potential issue... I'd say the real problem is magers/rangers either can't hit high enough with cheap ammo, or find the high hitting ammo too expensive to use. But that's beside the point...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

elaforestis
[ Display Name History ]

elaforestis

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • RSN:Elaforestis
  • RSN2:Sup Nex
Im getting sicker and sicker everyday i hear people whining about degradation...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan

Im getting sicker and sicker everyday i hear people whining about degradation...

Because we're getting sicker and sicker of the same damn mechanic being used over and over.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Because we're getting sicker and sicker of the same damn mechanic being used over and over.

But...it's not...we have 3 major areas that degrade

Barrows
Chaotics
Nex Armor/bow

Anything else that degrades that I'm able to think of just isn't worth using anymore (or never was worth using)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte

But...it's not...we have 3 major areas that degrade

Barrows
Chaotics
Nex Armor/bow

Anything else that degrades that I'm able to think of just isn't worth using anymore (or never was worth using)

Elven Crystal Bow/Shield

nyuseg.png

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
It wouldn't be popular, but what if armors had a mechanic that they could only be used for a set amount of time during another given time period. Perhaps a 2 hour a day or 10 hours a week thing.

It's not a good idea, in fact, I think it sucks, but it's something different at least.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
Why do people not feel that glories are worthless due to their 'degrading' nature (the use of rechargable teleport casts), but Verac's skirt is worthless? When you're earning millions slaying monsters in addition to anything else you do to make money, does it really matter whether you use 895gp for a Games Necklace or 80K to fully repair that skirt at maximum? They're both negligible amounts.

There seems to be a distinction between some items that classes them as expensively degradable, but not others. Why?

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RSN:Blyaunte

Why do people not feel that glories are worthless due to their 'degrading' nature (the use of rechargable teleport casts), but Verac's skirt is worthless? When you're earning millions slaying monsters in addition to anything else you do to make money, does it really matter whether you use 895gp for a Games Necklace or 80K to fully repair that skirt at maximum? They're both negligible amounts.

There seems to be a distinction between some items that classes them as expensively degradable, but not others. Why?

I think a lot has to do with the cost factor of the repairs involved.

According to Rs/Wiki, the new armours cost 200k for every hour of degradation, which adds up to 2 Mill per set for repair costs when they hit "0".

There's a LOT of people who will balk at that price.

nyuseg.png

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts

Because a Glory's degrading ability is an "addition to" ability. If you use it up, it loses that ability, but not it's stats as well. Skirt will degrade then become completely unuseable.

Plus you can pick and choose to use up the ability as you so please much like the DFS special ability to launch Dragonbreath.

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
200K per hour is certainly more expensive than 895gp, granted. But you're telling me someone with 200m in their backpocket for the plate would honestly scoff at 200K an hour? They most likely have money making methods that far outweigh that.

The added ability makes more sense though. Glories are used pretty much ubiquitously for those who lack furies anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users