Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do players know how much an item is worth?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Chrystophilax
[ Display Name History ]

Chrystophilax

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 9 posts
I've played Runescape on and off for eons, but something I've never been able to get my head around is how players knew the worth of an item before the Grand Exchange appeared. I made my first 100k at a point when I had loads of coal in the bank that I was going to smelt into steel stuff, smith, and finally sell to a General Store: the only way back then that I knew of making decent amounts of money. Obviously smithing was a hopelessly slow way of making money, but I would have carried on in a similar vein had it not been for this random guy who appeared in the bank one day, saying he'd buy coal for 200 gp each. I thought Christmas had come early. Thing is, though, that if he had offered 125 gp or something, I'd probably have sold the coal to him anyway because I had no idea what it was worth. I genuinely had no clue about pricing. I think with my earnings I bought a rune hatchet from someone for 30k, only to be told by one of the onlookers (after the deal was done >_>) that I'd been scammed.

So how do people know what items are worth? Obviously their price in shops is a guideline, and the price to buy the ingredients is always going to be greater than the amount the items will fetch (excepting when the price has been pushed through the floor, like with maple logs), but what happens with items that sell in shops for less than people are prepared to pay for them -- party hats for instance, or crackers, masks and so on, even more mundane items like flax? How does a player without a vast amount of data about how many of each item there is, how many people want it and so on know the price of a given item? When GE fixed pricing goes out the window (as I'm sure its about to do soon ...) and the vast computing power of the Runescape team is gone, who says what items are worth?

No_99_Melee
[ Display Name History ]

No_99_Melee

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Clan:SnC
You do
Posted Image

miracleman58
[ Display Name History ]

miracleman58

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,199 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Diamond
You just kinda firgure it out over time.

EDIT: And being Scammed is how you figure it out the fastest. We've all been there when we were noobs (we = Players before the GE)

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
Odds are given all the systems in place even with free trade the ge will remain and have set item values which jagex will try and match to street value.
So knowing item value won't be a huge issue.

Though it will mean price variance exists again

eg like the old days coal and ore sells cheap at banks by mining sites since theres few buyers and many miners; then ore sells high near furnaces as there are few sellers and many buyers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hegelstad
[ Display Name History ]

Hegelstad

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,440 posts
  • RSN:Hegelstad
  • Clan:Team Bring It
I really hope G.E prices won't be leading prices as it makes proper old time merchanting, not necesarrily scamming, a lot harder!

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

timmmmm83
[ Display Name History ]

timmmmm83

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 552 posts

I really hope G.E prices won't be leading prices as it makes proper old time merchanting, not necesarrily scamming, a lot harder!

Merchanting in any form is a form of scamming.

If you mean by old time merchanting: standing in w2 (when you eventually get in this world) shouting the same message over and over again for hours (competing with autotalkers)...
I sincerely hope I never have to do this again.

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,826 posts
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht

Don't be daft. It's hardly a scam if both parties consent with no intent to deceive the other. It may be unbalanced, and it may be advantageous to one player or another, but it isn't a scam.

Per http://www.merriam-w...tionary/scam[1]

a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

If you mean by old time merchanting: standing in w2 (when you eventually get in this world) shouting the same message over and over again for hours (competing with autotalkers)...
I sincerely hope I never have to do this again.

You shouldn't, seeing as they intend to leave the exchange in place.

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Uade
[ Display Name History ]

Uade

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • RSN:Ecruteak
  • RSN2:Pot Of Herbs
  • Clan:Rants

So...buying 1k feathers from a store for 7 gp each and then selling via the ge for 16 or 17 gp is scamming? Uhh what.

Ecruteak.png
Ecruteak.png

Ecruteak.png

RuneCrafting addict 

Divination addict

timmmmm83
[ Display Name History ]

timmmmm83

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 552 posts

So...buying 1k feathers from a store for 7 gp each and then selling via the ge for 16 or 17 gp is scamming? Uhh what.

If that is what you meant by old time merchanting, I apologise.

Don't be daft. It's hardly a scam if both parties consent with no intent to deceive the other. It may be unbalanced, and it may be advantageous to one player or another, but it isn't a scam.

"A fraudulent or deceptive act or operation"

'both parties consent' you say, but can anyone escape from deceptively being forced to pay a higher price.
It is not like you have a "I want to buy this item but not from a merchanter"-button in the GE.

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Stringcheze
if you are willing to pay a higher price to get your item NOW, then you are willing to pay the higher price. you are consenting.

K4ylan
[ Display Name History ]

K4ylan

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,924 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Harpy Priest
  • Clan:Harpies
If the standard price of an item pre-07 was 2m, and a merchanter sold it for 2.1m, that wasn't scamming. Some people want their items immediately, so they would be willing to pay a bit extra.

Selling spinach rolls or charcoal for 20m was scamming.

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts
In response to the OP...

It was just something that you picked up over time. If you were ever unsure, you could go to the forums and check out the average prices. After a little while, you'd be able to spot the difference between the mechanter's price and the average price of a given item. Some things stayed consistent enough that it just stuck with you, like full rune going for 190-210k, Rune Meds going for 10k, Sharks for 900-1k each (pre-bots killing the price), lobsters for 200 or 250 each... Ect.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Uade
[ Display Name History ]

Uade

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • RSN:Ecruteak
  • RSN2:Pot Of Herbs
  • Clan:Rants

If that is what you meant by old time merchanting, I apologise.

lol no, I never said that was old time merchanting...I thought you said any merchanting in any form is scamming, so I replied.

Ecruteak.png
Ecruteak.png

Ecruteak.png

RuneCrafting addict 

Divination addict

timmmmm83
[ Display Name History ]

timmmmm83

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 552 posts

If the standard price of an item pre-07 was 2m, and a merchanter sold it for 2.1m, that wasn't scamming. Some people want their items immediately, so they would be willing to pay a bit extra.

Selling spinach rolls or charcoal for 20m was scamming.

The unknowing mass might not know that standard price (or think that the standard price is rising and might rise even more) and pay the ammount the merchanter asks for.
How is that not some sort of scamming?

Only thing pre GE-merchanters were useful for imo was obtaining large quantities of items, taking away the hassle for other people who wanted to pay a tad more in exchange for huge ammounts.

I do this too, by item flipping in GE, but saying this isn's a form of scamming is a lie imo.

lol no, I never said that was old time merchanting...I thought you said any merchanting in any form is scamming, so I replied.

Didn't think of that when writing my previous post, that is idd a good thing. :wink:
So we agree the 'old time merchanting' you were talking about is idd scamming then. :smile:

To OP:

Odds are given all the systems in place even with free trade the ge will remain and have set item values which jagex will try and match to street value.
So knowing item value won't be a huge issue.

This would be the smartest imo.

wormy
[ Display Name History ]

wormy

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 595 posts
yup, if you stood in w1 varrok w2 fally for enough time you would see the patterns, there were basically 2 prices for everything and these really would not change. Price 1 was the bulk sales 1k and up, the other price was for anything lower than the bulk.

One popular form of scamming/merching was to do exactly as you said, walk into the bank non w1/w2, and buy up all the loose coal for x, hop to a few other worlds then sell at the bulk price.

If you never went to the markets w1/w2/forums then you probably had no idea on what the majority viewed as an items worth.

Johannas
[ Display Name History ]

Johannas

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • RSN:Johannas
Back in the day there was a sticky on the RSOF by a guy called "Tomisme" (don't ask me why i remember his name) in the items discussion forum.
It was updated regularly and generally correct, i referred to it whenever i bought something on the forums.
In fally park w2 you just looked at what people were buying/selling for.

Other general things were common knowledge though (ie food, jewellery, ore, bars, logs, bones)

Posted Image

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

timmmmm83
[ Display Name History ]

timmmmm83

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 552 posts

Back in the day there was a sticky on the RSOF by a guy called "Tomisme" (don't ask me why i remember his name) in the items discussion forum.
It was updated regularly and generally correct, i referred to it whenever i bought something on the forums.

Other general things were common knowledge though (ie food, jewellery, ore, bars, logs, bones)

I used the Zybez price guide.
You could look up all items in their database and it gave a min-max price.

Earth_Poet
[ Display Name History ]

Earth_Poet

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • RSN:Earth Poet
You kept a watchful eye on the marketplace in the forums, as it was considerably more active than it is now. Alternatively, you could fight your way into world 2 and view what people were buying/selling for to get more immediate update. The one thing to keep in mind is that most prices, save for rares or new items, remained more stable and consistent than they are now.

I had a similar experience with bowstrings. When I first became a member, I had created a load of bowstrings while exploring, but thought them to be useless until I saw a guy buying all bowstrings. He bought them off of me for 100 gp each, and I thought I struck it rich....until I began studying the forums and saw they were selling consistently for 200gp each. That night I made my first 100k in an hour.
Posted Image

jsboutin2
[ Display Name History ]

jsboutin2

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 768 posts

I used the Zybez price guide.
You could look up all items in their database and it gave a min-max price.

Zybez too.

Other items were general knowledge : logs, ores, bars, etc.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx
Supply and demand, forums. I used to keep all the prices of major items(there were alot less items back then) memorized, and as the prices didn't fluctuate much(coal was 200 ea for years, for example), it wasn't a major problem. If you wanted to buy items in bulk, you'd just add 5-10%, etc. It's actually just the same as street prices right now- look for deals that go trough and figure from there- if torva plate isn't sold for red, but people ask a white for it, you can expect the price to be somewhere between red and white(just an example).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users