Jagex muting policy for inappropriate language.

EvilZerga

Strongly supported. Years of playing has taught me to never go on a moderator's clan chat, a famous player's clan chat, or speak in an extremely populated spot because there's a 99.9% chance of every word being used against you in some 12 year old's report that is usually taken completely out of context.

Specially a moderator's clan chat. That's full of wbms.

I agree with this post, no need to repeat.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about your mutes :/

I've been muted twice.

First one was because I responded to someone that claimed he was high that "Drugs are bad". I guess drugs is a naughty word.

The second one was because there was a pmod called "xSilverCrown" (I mean come the [bleep] on) and he was being really obnoxious. I may have mentioned something about mods being responsible for helping the community and he reported me for offensive language.

Both appeals were denied by the way.

Goals for 2012:

• Quest Cape
  • MAX

• 1 month later...

I agree someone with your post, however, I've just skimmed through it.

Talking about inappropriate things in the RuneScape chat is always a dangerous ground to be in, since most of the time, people have actually broken a rule when they get muted. I do agree that to mention the word 'girlfriend' isn't exactly solicitation though.

Most of the time, when I see mute evidences, I typically see an angry player getting muted for something they deserved (censor evasion, random cussing, etc). It is quite rare that JaGex mutes you for something that's unnecessary, but it does happen. Hell, I've got muted for saying something with asterisks, but JaGex was smart enough to let my appeal accept.

Typically, what JaGex fails to do is to take into account the context and irony/sarcasm. Yes, it's true that irony/sarcasm is harder to detect on the internet, but to be punished for something that had no intention to offend is a little harsh from my perspective.

The RuneScape muting system is definitely not automated according to my personal experiences. However, there are a lot of people who are happy to report you for a minor slipup in wording, taking things out of context, for example "Going to kill black babies" when referring to baby black dragons in the Chaos tunnels.

To call people pathetic for reporting someone for actually breaking the rules is a little silly to me. What's wrong with reporting someone if they're actually breaking RuneScape rules, for example: Scamming or Botting? It prevents rule breakers from continuing to break the rules, and keeps RuneScape a little safer for the community (depends on the rule).

I'm sort of ranting/arguing on a tangent now, I'll just leave this here.

The RuneScape mute system is definitely not automated from my personal experiences, however, there are a lot of people who are happy to report you for a minor slipup in wording e.g. "Going to kill black babies" when referring to baby black dragons in the Chaos tunnels.

This has happened to me, on a previous account, I was joking around with a friend and said - "Right, I'm off nob" Of course I meant to say "Noob" But slipped up, someone who saw it obviously reported me, and I didn't have any come back as it could be seen as me meaning to call him a N** :wall:

simple_storm.png

mushroomheadsig.png

While I agree with the basis of the rant (censor is moronic), I have this to say to the suggestion that the filter be removed alltogether:

NO.

Runescape would be stuffed to the brim with kids swearing and screwing around everywhere. The public chat on/off button would be like the heaven/hell button. It just would not go well.

PM me for fitocracy invite

While I agree with the basis of the rant (censor is moronic), I have this to say to the suggestion that the filter be removed alltogether:

NO.

Runescape would be stuffed to the brim with kids swearing and screwing around everywhere. The public chat on/off button would be like the heaven/hell button. It just would not go well.

You're a bit late.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

NO.

You're a bit late.

Was this already said? Sorry. I don't read all the posts when I'm tired :/

I like how you integrated the tl;dr version at the top.

Well, that's Jagex for ya.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Sorry, I posted before I actually got back into the game. I posted that before I realized there was an option to turn censor on/off.

Censor is always off for me because I like to swear when I get frustrated :shades:

• 4 weeks later...

You know what pisses me off? Getting muted while you had the chat filter off... I thought having the option to turn it on and off was there for a reason??? [bleep]ing ridiculous tbh..

You know what pisses me off? Getting muted while you had the chat filter off... I thought having the option to turn it on and off was there for a reason??? [bleep]ing ridiculous tbh..

It depends. Could the mute evidence be interpreted as intentionally trying to cause offense/solicitate?

Even "[bleep] off" could be interpreted as an derogatory term, thus JaGex would place action against it, usually in the form of mutes.

@ cjm: in a way, jagex doesn't exactly own this game, the community does. If noone played runescape, would it still exist? Runescape is made possible through people playing, and jagex trying to satisfy OUR needs. They should be grateful that we still play, seeing as every time this game gets close to balanced, they go off and destroy a big chunk of it.

Lol. Just. Lol.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

• 3 weeks later...

@ cjm: in a way, jagex doesn't exactly own this game, the community does. If noone played runescape, would it still exist? Runescape is made possible through people playing, and jagex trying to satisfy OUR needs. They should be grateful that we still play, seeing as every time this game gets close to balanced, they go off and destroy a big chunk of it.

This kind of consumerism is absolute bs. Runescape is made by jagex and remains their property. "In a way" there would be no community for you to expect jagex to pander to (because the game they made is "ours?!?") if they hadn't made it. Markets are producer driven, not consumer driven. Without producers there is nothing to consume. So try to demand changes to a game that doesn't exist and see how far you get.

*Sorry to go so far off topic, but the OT is essentially moot now that one can toggle the filter settings.

Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown; ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid is forever.

Private chat on, give me a hyt!

It should not be necessary to say it, but today it is: anyone who wants to be understood has to make damn sure that he has made himself intelligible.

Who is John Galt?

News commentary without a political agenda.

Without consumers, nothing the producers, er, produce, gets consumed. It works both ways. Note the word both.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Okay, so by that logic, if I bought a dog bath (which I kept at my house) solely for my friend to use (hypothetical, maybe they're poor, idk) does that make it theirs? No. It's fully and completely mine. Runescape *could* still exist without players. It would be a waste of money, but it *could* still exist.

TBH, I keep public chat off anywhere with people. Only turn in on in remote places or when people aren't in the friends chat.