Wilderness and Free Trade Interview!!! - Answers On First Post!

n_odie

[hide=Off topic comment for Runes Rath][hide=Quote]

Will trades be able to hold unlimited value (as opposed to the imposed 2 billion limit)?

The only reason this limit is in place is become Java systems (No matter what kind) Can't support any number over 2,481,000 or something like that. That's why xp limits go up to 2billion, and if you get over 2billion of an item, it takes a second inventory space.

No, that is not true. The reason you cannot have more than 2,147,483,647 items, is because that is the maximum value of an int in Java.

In Java, there are primitive data types such as: bytes (127), shorts (32,767), ints (2,147,483,647), longs (9,223,372,036,854,775,807), doubles (1.79769313486231570x10308d), and more.

The reason ints are used, is because ints are the easiest value to calculate in the average CPU. To use a larger primitive data type would take more space, therefor slowing the game or costing more money on servers.

P.S. Java is a programming language, not a system, there is only one kind of Java language.

Ok, no need to get so mad. I accidently put 2m instead of 2b, and I only said that because of what I've heard. I'm not a computer geek, so don't vent all your anger on me. I was just going off of what I have heard and read.

[/hide]

Not getting mad, merely pointing out the mistakes and trying to teach that a simple google search answers a lot of questions. (The first website when I searched for 'java data size' brought me this website)

And bringing up computer geek just goes over the edge. One does not need to be 'a computer geek' to be able to search google.

A little bit of thought and common sense go a long way. [/hide]

On topic:

If these questions have not been asked yet:

[hide=Questions]> "What will happen to the Defender of Varrock quest area?"

> "What will happen to Fist of Guthix?"

> "What will happen to the Frozen Fortress?"

> "With the (hopeful) influx of old players, will there be any upgrade in the already slow servers running the worlds?"[/hide]

debian.png

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How confident is Jagex that, even with Free Trade, the inevitable influx of bots can be dealt with to acceptable levels?

Better phrased -- "Given the already massive amount of obvious "bots", auto clickers and macroers already operating within the current game environment, how can you realistically expect us to believe that you have either the means or the intention, of any kind whatsoever, to curtail the overwhelming numbers of "bots", auto clickers and macroers that will undoubtably return once you re-institute free trade and the Wilderness?"

nyuseg.png

That was an extremely short time limit..

^ this

Also found it hilarious that people were proposing new rules for the Old Wilderness and trying to answer questions. Read the Referendum guys, its the Old Wilderness, not some new broken crappy copy that doesn't work. And answering questions about what Jagex is going to do in the future? Lol, when did those people become JMods?

pere_grin.png

^ this

Also found it hilarious that people were proposing new rules for the Old Wilderness and trying to answer questions. Read the Referendum guys, its the Old Wilderness, not some new broken crappy copy that doesn't work. And answering questions about what Jagex is going to do in the future? Lol, when did those people become JMods?

LOL you must not have been around for the old "unbroken" wild Towards the end of the wild in both F2P and P2P the wild had become nothing much more then clans, tele's one itemers trying to do clues and RCers no one stayed for a fair fight not many people traveled beyond the small area around the mage bank. Lurring was the best way to get kills. Most people had alot of problems with the wild and it will never be like it was at the begining of RS2 because no one trains in the wild anymore so everyone out there is ready for a fight against those they can beat or to run and tele from those they cant.

Now that the coutndown has ended, when can we expect to see the interview?

They want to get them back to us by Monday, though with the number we were able to collect, it may take them a while longer. :P

Ya, fortunately we have an active community!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Will trades be able to hold unlimited value (as opposed to the imposed 2 billion limit)?

The only reason this limit is in place is become Java systems (No matter what kind) Can't support any number over 2,481,000 or something like that. That's why xp limits go up to 2billion, and if you get over 2billion of an item, it takes a second inventory space.

No, that is not true. The reason you cannot have more than 2,147,483,647 items, is because that is the maximum value of an int in Java.

In Java, there are primitive data types such as: bytes (127), shorts (32,767), ints (2,147,483,64), longs (9,223,372,036,854,775,807), doubles (1.79769313486231570x10308d), and more.

The reason ints are used, is because ints are the easiest value to calculate in the average CPU. To use a larger primitive data type would take more space, therefor slowing the game or costing more money on servers.

P.S. Java is a programming language, not a system, there is only one kind of Java language.

Ok, no need to get so mad. I accidently put 2m instead of 2b, and I only said that because of what I've heard. I'm not a computer geek, so don't vent all your anger on me. I was just going off of what I have heard and read.

Oh... If I understood correctly, trades were unlimited before GE was out - there was no way to quantify how much value a trade had because there was no central value system. It was possible to trade up to... say 100 partyhats in one trade. But after free trade was removed, there was this 2B limit added based on GE prices - I assume this is because the counter that calculates the difference between trades can't hold a number above the limit (2^31-1): they rounded it off to 2B to make it simpler. I'm not talking about the number of any single item, I'm talking about the value of the trade in total.

will grand exchange boxes be placed in various cities to restore the pre-restricted trade atmosphere to cities?

what does this even mean

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

will grand exchange boxes be placed in various cities to restore the pre-restricted trade atmosphere to cities?

what does this even mean

It means having mini GE "Stalls" in each city so you don't have to go to Varrock every time you want to buy/sell something via the G.E.

I would assume this would/should never happen however, because part of the benefit of free trade is player interaction away from the G.E. If you were to put a G.E. station in Falador east, people would just mine, and then dump their mined ores at minimum in the G.E., go mine more and repeat. If the G.E. is only located in Varrock, people mine and then can bank their ores and offer to sell at anyone in the bank, or continue mining and then go to Varrock and sell their ores at G.E.

Part of a plus of free trade is finding "deals" from people who don't want to travel to sell their items, and sell cheaper for smaller quantities. If you put a G.E. in every city you take away that element.

Here are a ton of answers from their live Q&A tonight:

[hide]

To clarify the issue regarding dying with untradable objects in the wilderness, I can confirm that you will not be able to run back to untradable objects.

When a converted untradable item is dropped as coins, its value is mostly based on the alch price of the object.

Imah Slayer:

#3 When you die in the wilderness will we be able to go back to the spot we died and pick up our Torso, firecape, chaotic weapons, ect?

Mod Fetzki:

No, this won't be possible. There is no differentiation between tradeable and untradeable objects any more, all of them will be lost on death if you were skulled.

3. Am I right in thinking recepie for diaster gloves will be converted into coins alongside the anchor and korasi's?

Thats a yes!

4. Are you going to be balancing some new items for use in pvp?

Since the removal of the wilderness it has been obvious that Jagex has developed weapons with PvM in mind. Some new weapons (claws/chaotic/korasi's) are severly

For sure.

Crupulus:

" Will you add any safe worlds for non-pkers to use without fear of being killed?

-> No. Its the wilderness, its not meant to be safe. "

High risk PvP does not force a risk of loot, but it does prevent any item protection spells or curses from being used.

Will the Duel Arena remain F2P? Also will the new (old haha) staking system be implemented for f2p players?

The Duel Arena will still be in free worlds, and it's likely that there will be a cap on how much you can stake.

Mod Fetzki:

As said above, all untradeable items will be lost for the player dying. It was deemed unfair that some of the best items for fighting like prayer books or fire capes were not transferred on death.

You have been unclear about something that I am interested in in your FAQs. If I die and lose fire cape, defenders, fighter torsos, RFD gloves, chaotic weapons and so on, will I be able to retrieve them from the floor like in the old wilderness?

Untradeables wont be picked up by your killer but tradables will. Your killer will get coins instead of that untradeable item.

T H234,

What happens when someone looses for vesta in the wild? because it wont be lootable?

As above, the killing player will get coins and the killee wont be able to run back and get it.

Mod Fetzki:

You can exclude Summoning from staking, so I would advise that you press that button to compare the non-Summoning combat level.

living2die3:

You have said 'popular pvp items' will not be lost and you will be able to run back for them.

I would just like confirmation that this does include the fighter torso, firecape and defenders. If it doesnt it needs to!

Mod Fetzki:

We have NOT said that, it is incorrect. All untradeable items will be lost on death (if you were skulled) and we are convinced it makes the better system rather than leaving the winner go with empty hands because they were fighting someone with only untradeable items.

iving2die3:

Are you going to be balancing some new items for use in pvp?

Mod Fetzki:

We were well aware that some items had too much power, that's why we introduced damage soaking therefore there are no immediate plans to rebalance any items.

DRK Kenny,

I have one question is there a chance of you making some old school pk worlds (just like 5-10 worlds) where you can't use the new weapons/prays/summoning? Thanks

We dont have any plans for that tbh. Sorry!

If my beast of burden expires will the items it was carrying be lootable by other players?

Yep, if you leave it on the ground its fair game.

[/hide]

yes.png

More:

[hide]

Do you guys have any plans to bring back the boneyard that was removed?

Yep, its a great place for F2P to train prayer! check the FAQ for more info on that one. ; )

What about people who use yak scrolls to bank their valuables before they die?

Thats still totally acceptable. :)

Pingpong1,

1. Will green dragons in the wilderness stay where they are?!

Yep!

2. Will the chaos tunnels be moved?

Nope!

Will areas that allow you to easily "hug" players still exist?

Awwwww, yes youll still be able to hug. The wildy is a cold place afterall.

Alex Ydw I:

Is it true that when you're in the new wilderness, if you're attacking a Green Dragon, for example, that another player can then attack you, like a rev used to be able to do?

Mod Fetzki:

Yes, this is true. This has been implemented because in the old Wildy there was the strategy to avoid death by quickly attacking a monster an then disconnecting from the internet which we didn't like and therefore implemented this chance.

Extremes no, chaotic yes

Dune Blythe has a multi-question about extreme potions and chaotic weapons.

Mod Fetzki:

I can only repeat what I said above: The reason is that you cannot *see* whether the other one has extreme potions or not, whereas it is very clear whether you are wielding a chaotic weapon or not. Summoning influences your combat level (on members worlds only) but Herblore doesn't, therefore we took the decision to exclude the extreme potions from the Wildy.

Anupsis:

Is it possible to make another set of dragons? Example:There are 3 in the wild (thank god dragon bots will be pwnt!) and 1 in the tunnels but would Jagex consider making another group spawn (not in wild but still somewhat hard to access) something like the dungeon for blue/black dragons with shortcuts (AE:Agility 85 i think it was)

Mod Fetzki:

The dragons should always be in a dangerous area, and the Wildy and the Chaos Tunnels are the best places for them we think, so we don't have any current plans to add more dragon groups.

Players will be able to attack other players within the revenant dungeon, which is also f2p.

How much work has been completed so far? (Progress of trade limit removed, etc.)

The development work is now in the testing stage, so that we can make sure the relaunch is as bug-free as possible.

Druid Ozver:

What will happen to those brave gentlemen, who sell Team capes in wildy? Will you keep them or get rid of them?

Mod Fetzki:

They will remain.

Jamandy52:

Will the areas to charge air orbs/ Edgeville dungeon/ and agility course be in safe or pvp zones?

Mod Fetzki:

They will be dangerous.

Also why are you keeping things like penguins and clue scrolls in the wildy because it makes it unfair on low level players?

It brings an additional challenge to people, bear in mind that revs did patrol the Wilderness anyway so it was always something that you had to be a bit careful about.

Tavakia 1709:

Does the keep 3 items on death rule still apply in the wilderness? If not, then doesn't this not make it the old Wilderness?

Mod Fetzki (who is still a bit confused by the triple negative in the second sentence):

The 3-item rule still applies. If you don't attack anyone in the Wilderness and therefore are not skulled, then you will keep hold of your three most expensive items on death.

Sunset PKing:

First question - Will you keep the anti-PJ system in place?

Mod Fetzki:

Correct, we won't change the system as it is now.

Sunset PKing:

Second question - Will you be returning shops back to 'normal'?

Mod Fetzki:

Before the Wilderness was removed, the shops had limited stocks and everyone was competing for the popular items. The system now is better than that because every player has got some stock.

08tony asked:

I was just wondering what is happening with the Abyss and if the Mage of Zamorak will be moved somewhere else. Is there anything that will change regarding this?

Mod Fetzki:

Nothing will change, they will be in the dangerous area just as they were in the old Wildy.

I Am Amber:

I read through the Q&A and have a question about quest areas. How are you supposed to get to these PvP safe areas in full armour and food when there is a wildy full of people ready to kill you and take your stuff before you even reach the questing area?

Mod Fetzki:

The quest start will not be deep in the Wilderness. The Summer quest start has been moved to outside the Wildy. During the quests, you will not be forced to go through the Wildy in full armour or anything like that.

[/hide]

yes.png

Question I have will be.

Can I, again pk with a clan of level 3's?

Or will i have to be level 20 to even get into wildy.

I <3 lvl 3 clan pking with wind strike.

Causing_Fear.png

110225183300.png

"I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American."Daniel Webster

So they are leaving the Chaos Tunnels where they are?

That's [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Why don't they just hand over the whole [bleep]ing game to the griefers?

td2sig.jpg

That's [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I believe this is the first time I agree with you on something :thumbup:

Also, the beacon network is going to become really difficult after Feb 1. :mellow: Doesn't really affect me because I'll probably never get the skills to do it, but for people who are close to being able to, I'd advise you to get it done. All it takes is one griefer and you have to start the whole damn process over.

td2sig.jpg

You do know there's a safe entrance in varrock right?

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

They put it in the wild for a reason.

yes.png