religion

L2Ski

ya, like every person in the world has made a topic on this. but whatever.

i'm religious. a christian. but i would like to ask your guys' opinions.

to be honest. i hate religion, but i love christ (if you get what im saying)..

people try to per say "walk the walk and talk the talk" but its just a load of [bleep]. so your guys' views?

please no over-abuse of arguing. im fine with arguing, but extreme-flaming, etc. is just dumb.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you trying to say? Looks like gibberish to me, no offense.

What are your (tipiters) views of religion?

Do you think it promotes growth, relationships, help, etc.?

Or do you think otherwise?

I believe in most cases it holds us back.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

to be honest. i hate religion, but i love christ (if you get what im saying)..

How would you define religion? What exactly do you hate about it?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Some believe in God as a coping strategy in a high stress job (dealing with death as a doctor/nurse/surgeon), some believe in God because that's the way they are raised to think, and finally, some believe in God because they believe the Universe was created by a greater being.

I believe in nothing, but chance and fate. Or science.

I feel religion is an outdated, old fashioned way of explaining the Universe, luck and physics. Although hard to disprove the existence of God, it is yet even harder to prove he does exist.

Not sure where I'm going with this, as I'm going into a tangent. I'll leave this here

It could really go either way, I think. Depends on the people themselves.

People seem to forget that for every WBC or Al-Quaeda member there are an unbelievably huge amount of people that aren't nuts. Or that it isn't a "this or that" option. You could have people that consider themselves Christian and accept scientific explanations, like you could have atheists/agnostics that reject the evidence for something without question.

Personally, I don't care either way. What other people believe isn't important... Until they start bashing others for it.

Ahhh prespective. Yes it does play a mighty role in life.

I have grown up in a christian home, but I am not so fond of what my parents believe.

It is very hard to disprove that God does not exist, but yes it is not hard to prove He exists, unless both ends of the argument are not being open minded.

Walk the walk and talk the talk is a load of [cabbage]?

So you're suggesting it's ok to say one thing but do another? How hypocritical.

Wait what?

I was saying how hypocritical people are possibly the downside to religion. I may or may not be one, but I personally try to stay pretty neutral within religion. I like to hear both sides of peoples stories. It seems ignorant to assume that ones perspective is the correct one. But, from what I have experienced no one is perfect, so we all have flaws.

By the way, if you relating to "[cabbage]" as being hypocritical, it really isn't.

"walk the walk and talk the talk" implies that your actions mirror your speech and beliefs. You called it a load of crap, implying that you disagree that one's actions should mirror their speech and beliefs. Hence, doing one thing while saying another is hypocritical.

I agree that hypocritical people are a downfall of religion. Thus, if everyone followed "walk the walk and talk the talk" there'd be much less hypocrisy ;)

There's nothing wrong with being neutral, and being sure to understand both perspectives/sides of the story. However, eventually most people make a choice, about which argument is more convincing, and then live their life in accordance with such. It doesn't mean they've never considered the alternatives, it simply means they've arrived at a different conclusion.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

"walk the walk and talk the talk" implies that your actions mirror your speech and beliefs. You called it a load of crap, implying that you disagree that one's actions should mirror their speech and beliefs. Hence, doing one thing while saying another is hypocritical.

I agree that hypocritical people are a downfall of religion. Thus, if everyone followed "walk the walk and talk the talk" there'd be much less hypocrisy ;)

There's nothing wrong with being neutral, and being sure to understand both perspectives/sides of the story. However, eventually most people make a choice, about which argument is more convincing, and then live their life in accordance with such. It doesn't mean they've never considered the alternatives, it simply means they've arrived at a different conclusion.

Ahh.. See what I was saying was I can't stand people who look like they "walk the walk and talk the talk", but they really can't back up their beliefs, etc.

Sorry about the confusion. :unsure:

I agree with you completely in your last paragraph.

Depends what you mean by "back up your beliefs". Not everyone digs deeply into what they believe as that's just not a facet of their personality. There are just as many uneducated atheists as uneducated religious ;)

The way I am (and many) means that I prefer to be able to back up my beliefs. Not everyone sees that as important.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Depends what you mean by "back up your beliefs". Not everyone digs deeply into what they believe as that's just not a facet of their personality. There are just as many uneducated atheists as uneducated religious ;)

The way I am (and many) means that I prefer to be able to back up my beliefs. Not everyone sees that as important.

True true.. but if you can't truly prove what you believe.. then do you really believe it?

I believe it was a concept built to maintain peace and harmony within a specific quantity of people, but then when these groups found that there were other groups with the same goals, and conflicting methods...religion became an excuse for violence. People ruined it, but I still like the idea of religion.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I do not believe there is substantial enough evidence of devine intervention for me to personally believe a god exists, but I do not deny how other people's lives have been enriched as a result of this belief, however fallacious I personally think that belief is.

So long as religious belief doesn't infringe on my rights, each to their own.

Religion gives people a set of beliefs to live by. Most people without religion also have certain beliefs or laws they live by. So religion isn't that big of a problem. In the end most of the problems just stem from some people thinking they are better than others because of their religion or lack of.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

I do not believe there is substantial enough evidence of devine intervention for me to personally believe a god exists, but I do not deny how other people's lives have been enriched as a result of this belief, however fallacious I personally think that belief is.

I partially agree with you. One question though..

Were do those rights come from if not (for this example) God? Just some food for thought.

Were do those rights come from if not (for this example) God? Just some food for thought.

Common sense? Survival Instinct? Laws?

If you really need a God telling you "don't do this or you go to HELL" to not do bad things than you really need to reevaluate yourself as a person. Anyways laws, generally, are fairly common sense for the wellbeing of people. A country could not run if people could just murder others, or steal.

Realistically, my fists. Humans set up their own rights, which really are just limits of their temper.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Common sense? Survival Instinct? Laws?

If you really need a God telling you "don't do this or you go to HELL" to not do bad things than you really need to reevaluate yourself as a person. Anyways laws, generally, are fairly common sense for the wellbeing of people. A country could not run if people could just murder others, or steal.

God is a man made concept.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I'm a Roman Catholic, at several points in my life I have had trouble believing the "dogma" of the Church until I read the reasoning behind it. The more I learn about faith and understand, the more beautiful and mysterious it becomes, which is someone paradoxical if you think about it.

The way people look at religion is sort of like math, actually. For someone to have beliefs, there have to be established "axioms" - say G0 is that God exists, G1 is that God created everything, and so on. People that can't accept that will never be able to understand different parts of religion, or the conclusions drawn from them.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪