Egyptian revolution live feed

Bloodstain

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the president did well by not stepping down :thumbup:

/Sarcasm

The Vice PM's speech is basically awful, just reiterating that Mubarak will not step down. He is feebly attempting to calm people down, but he has to know that he has absoulutely zero chance of getting rid of them. He's praising them right and left. I guess it's not awful, but it's not far off.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

In Egypt [in 2001], as [Egyptian-born Australian citizen Mamdouh] Habib recounts in his memoir, My Story: The Tale of a Terrorist Who Wasnt, he was repeatedly subjected to electric shocks, immersed in water up to his nostrils and beaten. His fingers were broken and he was hung from metal hooks. At one point, his interrogator slapped him so hard that his blindfold was dislodged, revealing the identity of his tormentor: Suleiman.

Suleiman: The CIA's man in Cairo

Meet the new boss. However, publicly the generals have taken over, so let's see how this plays out.

Obama's statement yesterday was fairly forceful in terms of diplomatic speak, although I'm of the mind that if the US wanted him out, he'd have been out before today. They will do anything to preserve their precious Israeli-Egyptian Peace Treaty (even though one side has continuously not lived up to the expectations of Camp David, making the entire thing a sham).

Another great day for Egypt and the Arab world.

"Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ringwhen we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's childrenblack men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholicswill be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: 'Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!".

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

It still amazes me how one desperate man setting himself alight in Tunisia is the spark that eventually burns down not one but two hardnosed, autocratic regimes. The people protesting in Egypt were masterful, they absolutely ran the police out of Cairo early on, remained defiant in the face of state thuggery and they didn't fall into the traps set by the regime who tried to create splits in the movement. If the reaction and influence of the Tunisian revolution is anything to go by, then this could have big knock-on effects upon other autocratic regimes in the arab world. A great day for Egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Bouazizi

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

It's about time he stepped down! :rolleyes: But I'm glad they got what they wanted. Nice to see it happen.

It's too bad Saudi Arabia brides it's people. They've got mediveal like society there (economics more in the 21st century though). That would be a next big place that seems to need a protest. So does China, but it's not an Arab country and I doubt they'd do anything.

It's about time he stepped down! :rolleyes: But I'm glad they got what they wanted. Nice to see it happen.

It's too bad Saudi Arabia brides it's people. They've got mediveal like society there (economics more in the 21st century though). That would be a next big place that seems to need a protest. So does China, but it's not an Arab country and I doubt they'd do anything.

China shut down everything coming out of Egypt long ago, they don't want people getting ideas.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."