Tip.It Times - 30th January 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Not to be harsh, but the main point of Economic Ignorance is to say that changes to the economy are happening. Isn't that really obvious anyway?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

"Economic Ignorance"

I liked the article, reminds me of me :)

I'm a pretty high level, and have no idea, or care, on how the 'rs economy' works.

I buy at full, and sell at less, at GE.

One thing is sure, Free trade will change some items price.

(I know some friends who just can't wait till Feb 1 :) )

"Tip.it Times"

I read the Tip.it times for the enjoyment of reading. I'm not looking for answers, or tips, or anything.

What some people find obvious, "been said before", irrelevant, etc, I find entertaining.

I look forward to every sunday, for the new issue. Keep 'em coming, I'll keep on reading.........

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

On the first article;

This has been accomplished by running events, being in their clan chats a lot and spending more time talking to their players in a more general way. But, what are they doing for us?

Haven't you just answered that? :P Anyway, when you talk about slack I don't really see it, and I don't understand how they can slack due to community things, as this year is the Year of Clan updates anyway :P. Nor do I really get how the notes system is a way of Jagex talking to the community past the example of a referendum about an update, I think you should have used that as an example instead to make it relevant to the now. :) . I agree with their support on the social networking sites, however I'd like to see more of them turning out to events like they used to, it seems unfortunately Jagex are catering for their own community and not reaching out to Fansites as much, as RSOF Events teams now get huge support with their leaders becoming moderators on the forum quite often.

On the second article, I think the meat and purpose of the article were in the last 2 paragraphs, which is unfortunate since I think this could've been the dominating the content, but I agree entirely. I know not a lot about the economy, and 2 days or so before the free trade I will sell my raw rocktails even though I know they'd be a much higher price after free trade and Wilderness. If I knew more though, I'd be tempted to get into economy manipulation, predicting prices in the future, which I wouldn't enjoy :ohnoes:

dczlnn.pngUSPPEP8.pngdczlnn.png

Economic Ignorance really struck a chord with me, if someone could eplain the purpose of junk trading I'd appreciate it lol.

I consider myself to be an average player, I've always played RS as a way of relaxing and passing time. If I level, I level, if not, well maybe in my next session. As such, when it comes to using GE, I buy in the middle and sell in the middle. I don't see the way I trade will change very much come the 1st. I also think that will be true for a lot of players too.

Cultjunky.png

the thing is, intro economics are mandatory for graduation many universities now. As a freshman seminar-type course.

Most, if not all all US state funded universities require intro level economics courses or the equivalent.

In my university, ALL majors are required to learn some economics, not just business majors.

Even arts, humanities, sciences. It's all mandatory.

A few universities don't require them. Like Harvard for example.

But that's usually because higher level universities tend to give more freedom of electives than say, a state funded university.

But these universities can usually get by with assuming that you're smart enough to not need such a thing.

And the majority of students go to college nowadays.

Granted a lot of RS players haven't gone to college yet. And I understand that.

Plenty don't even live in america, and I'm speaking from a 100% US perspective.

But my expectation is, that given the opportunity, most people should be able to learn some intro level economics.

(because none of the economics principles employed on TIF are beyond intro level)

and given the number of efficiency prods on the TIF forums

the opportunities are abound.

So when I see economic ignorance, I really only draw 2 conclusions:

a) You're too lazy to learn it

b) You're too stupid to complete an intro level requirement for graduation at most American state universities.

Naaxi.png

the thing is, intro economics are mandatory for graduation many universities now. As a freshman seminar-type course.

Most, if not all all US state funded universities require intro level economics courses or the equivalent.

In my university, ALL majors are required to learn some economics, not just business majors.

But that's usually because higher level universities tend to give more freedom of electives than say, a state funded university.

But these universities can usually get by with assuming that you're smart enough to not need such a thing.

But my expectation is, that given the opportunity, most people should be able to learn some intro level economics.

(because none of the economics principles employed on TIF are beyond intro level)

b) You're too stupid to complete an intro level requirement for graduation at most American state universities.

It would appear that the USA policy of 'teaching' economics is a failure, what with Lehmans causing a world wide economic crises.

Suggesting that someone is stupid or lazy because they are not fully conversant with the intricacies of a games' economics is, frankly, arrogant. When I see arrogance, I really only draw one conclusion, but I'm far too polite to type it on an open forum.

Cultjunky.png

Intro level economics is required for graduation at my HIGH SCHOOL :rolleyes:

Its not like basic economics are that hard to understand anyway...

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

It would appear that the USA policy of 'teaching' economics is a failure, what with Lehmans causing a world wide economic crises.

that's finance, not economics

I understood it as an economic failure due to the irresponsible financing of risky loans. However, I intended my comment to mean that the teaching of economics is perhaps missing an element of responsible economic procedures. It could be said that as bots are employed in many trading houses, the neccesity for an individual to be 'au fait' economic mechanisms is negligible, where as an idividuals need to be aware of the consequences of various economic mechanisms and policies is potentially of greater significance. As this line of debate is taking the thread away from the intended purpose of the thread, I can't be fluffed to expand any further.

Cultjunky.png

Yeah, um, basic economics aren't hard to grasp. Part of High School here as well. However, predicting the economy, especially in the short term, is very difficult.

The thing that REALLY gets me about this whole wilde/free trade thing though... Free trade really won't change the economy that much. The items it will effect (affect?) is junk, rares, Nex/Corp only drops.

Have to say, one thing that I think the author was right about, a lot people will still continue trading through the GE.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

the reason for the financial meltdown was because the us government was directly forcing these financial institutions to give out loans to people they knew could not repay.

which anyone who has taken any econ or finance classes could tell you is a bad idea.

america needs to teach its congressmen some econ and finance imo.

Yeah, um, basic economics aren't hard to grasp. Part of High School here as well. However, predicting the economy, especially in the short term, is very difficult.

The thing that REALLY gets me about this whole wilde/free trade thing though... Free trade really won't change the economy that much. The items it will effect (affect?) is junk, rares, Nex/Corp only drops.

Have to say, one thing that I think the author was right about, a lot people will still continue trading through the GE.

This is true, and people might stop trading over the GE when buying mass quantities of items, thanks to the good ol' GE limits Jagex decided to keep <_<

And why did they decide to keep them? To stop price manipulation... hah! At least it wasnt a stamp copy of to stop rwting, again.

No... it's to stop monopolies.

Please... no more articles about the Runescape economy. It's becoming a really tiresome subject.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I'm glad it struck a chord with some people. I know those who can understand the Runescape economy wouldn't really appreciate it as much but everyone has their own perspective, right? :)

Like I said, I get some of the basic ideas but the finer points just leave me. I've never done any sort of economics. In the UK, it's not any sort of required subject at GCSE level. The closest thing would be business studies that some people took, but not that many. At least when I was finishing Secondary School. So all my economic understanding comes from what I've picked up on the internet. I'm a Computer Science student, economics don't appeal to me, but shouldn't they in Runescape? I should take the time to delve more into Runescape economics but I often feel that I don't have the sort of money pile for it to matter (generally around 2m) and, of course, what we say we should do and what we ACTUALLY do are often two very different things ;)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Someone should do a full study of what goes on in Runescape's economy. Why junk trading prevails for now, and how having both the GE and free trade might work when it returns. I really liked both articles this week, and thought we got to some interesting topics.

Someone should do a full study of what goes on in Runescape's economy. Why junk trading prevails for now, and how having both the GE and free trade might work when it returns. I really liked both articles this week, and thought we got to some interesting topics.

wow seriously? junk trading derives from a combination of natural buyouts and manipulation buyouts.

when an item is bought out (examples: partyhats, a newly announced clan manipulated item), because tomorrow it will be worth more than it is today (and by that reasoning the third day more than the second), people value the item higher than its current market value (sometimes vice versa, esp. with new useful items, like staff of light shortly after release).

when an item that was bought out reaches a critical point and reverts to crashing, because tomorrow it will be worth less than it is today, people value it less than its current market value (sometimes vice versa, like first couple days after climbing boots update).

so now a player who wants one of the bought out items (which yield profit) is willing to take some of the crashing items (junk, which yields loss) in the trade for cash (constant value). the seller who wants to get rid of his crashing items (junk, which yields loss) must add bought out items (which yield profit) to even the sale for cash (constant value).

tl;dr - junk is overpriced and "street items" are underpriced; people sell them together for cash to make the trade fair.

In response to the Social Networking part of the first article, you mentioned both Jagex's Facebook and Twitter account, however you did not mention that they have a YouTube account as well.

Not trolling in any sense, only making sure more people are aware of this :)

Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/runescape

brett_is_god.png

Is that really all there is of the second article?

I felt as if it was just getting the the meat and potatoes of the issue and then quit.

Yes you may be ignorant and a big change is coming, but what is the plan when it does? We all know its coming, so whats the point of telling us again? Tell us what you contend about the free trade and how you think (as someone who is "ignorant") will deal with the change, as compared to someone who may have profited hugely from 3 years of GE manipulation, or someone who has been biding time since the change.

wessan.png

the reason for the financial meltdown was because the us government was directly forcing these financial institutions to give out loans to people they knew could not repay.

which anyone who has taken any econ or finance classes could tell you is a bad idea.

america needs to teach its congressmen some econ and finance imo.

Could you expound a little on your theory please?

rssig2.png

Huh, you learn something new every day. I never realised how mandatory basic economics was in US education. As Racheya said, its not required in the UK at all. I'm at university, and I've never even taken a class that could be called 'Economics'.

Frankly, after seeing complicated things like junk trading, it gets a bit beyond me.

EDIT: My God, I'm starting to sound like my dad...

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Most of the price changes in a game like RS can be tracked to time of day, general highscore trends, game updates, or the price trends of items linked to the one in question (very important in terms of rares). There are factors in common - like how the particular item/stock has done historically - but RS fluctuations are based on easily tangible reasons.

RS has some fundamental differences from a real life economy. Best not to make comparisons but instead to evaluate it based on the factors around you that you do know.

We could discuss these but I'm pretty sure there has been a comprehensive discussion about that at some point here.

2496 Completionist