Canadians, we just got [bleep]ed

Bloodstain

since my internet is on cable i'm not affected by this yet

but i don't think this will stay as long as harper is PM. he said he's gonna review it

"We're very concerned about CRTC's decision on usage-based billing and its impact on consumers. I've asked for a review of the decision."

if it does stay, i'm voting for another party next election. liberals should be pushing for an election considering how pissed people would be over this.

[hide][/hide]

yeah i've seen that pic and it's incredibly stupid. bahrain being a piece of [cabbage] in general doesn't mean canada shouldn't have higher standards.

anyways, Liberals and NDP already voiced their opinion that UBB limits choices for people. it's just up to the conservatives to scrap this or they know they'll risk losing support if there's a coming election

[hide]3p4Xl.jpg[/hide]

Well I guess if another country has worse internet than us, it's justifiable to let one company [bleep] over competition, charge more for the same service, and our government to look out for the interests of the companies rather than it's people.

Those comparisons are always hilarious :rolleyes:

Hey, while we're at it, why don't we compare impoverished and homeless people in North America to Africa. Hey, those homeless guys have no right to complain about being homeless, look at Africa! Hell, they should be GLAD they have the privilege of being homeless in North America. We shouldn't try to help them, because they have it good compared to X country

e: To H2PM: Probably seems like I'm raging at you, but I'm raging at the picture. Although I do think it's kind of funny. Stupid 4chan (I'm assuming it's 4chan cause those stupid stickmen)

yes.png

Sounds [bleep]ing stupid.

But can someone give me a relative example of how much 60 GB is?

Some HD youtube videos can be 100MB for you to stream. Video games downloaded/bought of steam easily reach over 10 gigabytes per game, Netflix movies are what, 2 gigs? Also playing games.

Not to mention jobs that will be affected by UBB.

Also, Bell has on demand video service that charges I think 5 bux for a movie, and doesn't count to your download limit. Netflix charges 8 bux a month for unlimited video downloads. Hmmmmm

yes.png

Just wondering, is the amount of time you can play RS affected by this?

I presume so, although I've never tried to measure the amount of data RS generates per hour. It's probably not that big.

Also, I really hope that you Canadians get that repealed. Why is it all the nice people who get bad internet deals? First the Australians, now the Canadians. Oh well, we're a miserable lot here, so at least our Internet will be fine. icon_e_wink.gif

~ W ~

sigzi.png

This just got posted on Zybez

The federal government will decide by March 1 whether to reject a CRTC decision on usage-based internet billing, after Prime Minister Stephen Harper requested a review.

Harper's communications director, Dimitri Soudas, confirmed the review Tuesday, saying the government was "very concerned" about the impact of the CRTC ruling on consumers.

Industry Minister Tony Clement said the government would decide by March 1 whether to accept the decision, send it back for review, or reject it.

"This is a very important issue for consumers, for small business, and for innovators," Clement said following a cabinet meeting in Ottawa.

Customers of small internet service providers in Ontario and Quebec received notice this week that they would be able to stream or download only a fraction of the movies and data that they had previously been allowed under the same price plan, thanks to the decision by Canada's telecommunications regulator in January.

Many small ISPs rent network access from Bell in order to create retail internet packages for their customers.

They were forced to drastically restrict their internet packages after the CRTC ruled in January that internet service providers such as Bell could charge wholesale customers based on the same usage-based caps that they charge retail customers. The CRTC ordered Bell to give its wholesale customers a 15 per cent discount relative to its retail customers and implement the new billing system by March 1.

Bell had argued that extending usage-based billing to wholesale customers was necessary to discourage excessive internet use that caused congestion on its networks.

200,000-signature petition

Consumer and internet advocates have been lobbying hard against the decision, which they said was leading to higher prices and snuffing out competition among ISPs.

They also argued it would prevent consumers from taking advantage of new services such as Netflix, which allows users to stream high-definition movies and TV episodes over the internet to their television for a monthly flat rate.

As of Tuesday, more than 200,000 people had signed a petition organized by the Vancouver-based open communications advocacy group OpenMedia.ca against the CRTC decision.

On Tuesday afternoon, NDP technology critic Charlie Angus, who has repeatedly criticized the decision, joined the federal Liberal Party in calling for the government to reverse it.

Liberal technology critic Marc Garneau said Monday that his party considered the decision to be anti-competitive because it penalizes small internet service providers.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/02/01/internet-usage-based-billing-clement.html

yes.png

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/932571--ottawa-threatens-to-reverse-crtc-decision-on-internet-billing

The CRTC should be under no illusion the Prime Minister and minister of Industry will reverse this decision unless the CRTC does it itself, a senior Conservative government official said Wednesday.

If they dont reconsider we will reverse their decision.

The promise to reverse the ruling comes as CRTC Chair Konrad von Finckenstein is scheduled to explain the decision Thursday before the House of Commons industry committee.

While the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission is an independent agency, its decision can be overturned by cabinet. The Star was told that could happen as early as next week.

The CRTC decision has sparked outrage across the country with Canadians rushing to sign petitions asking the Conservative government to reverse it. Industry Minister Tony Clement has received tens of thousands of emails requesting that it be struck down.

Frankly, a decision like this is clearly not in the best interest of consumers, the senior official said.

that's the first time I read an official view from the tories

So basically none of the major parties support this decision at all. It doesn't mean the ruling is gone, but it's highly likely that it's not gonna stay

Hahahhaha

5 mintues 4 seconds:

Teksavvy CEO owns some ignorant shareholder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYizoh_r6D0&feature=player_embedded#

Tonight, Industry Minister Tony Clement has confirmed the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) decision for UBB (usage based billing) will be overruled, and the CRTC must go back to the drawing board.

acoyne1.png

acoyne2.png

acoyne3.png

acoyne4.png

[bleep]in owned

yes.png

Yep, you guys did get hosed. The thing that worries me is Canada's proximity to the US. Washington has been a good friend to Comcast and the other ISPs who manage to deliver poor services with high prices compared to other industrialist countries. When there's so little competition, this is what happens.

I hope it's reversed.

• 5 months later...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2011/07/19/technology-ubb-crtc-internet.html

Looks like this debate is being uprooted again.

Like really, these telecommuncation networks still make hundreds of millions, if not billions, in profit. The only thing it'll do is discourage users from using online content such as Netflix, Xbox Live, Youtube, and Steam.

j0xPu5R.png