Freakyhair

Is RuneScape Dying?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel RuneScape is dying?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

Lol. This thread is funny. :-)

This post if not the whole thread feels so obsolete. Not complaining at everyone or the OP. The thread has discussion value but it has been proved to the bone that RS is not dying. Posting here just seems pointless now but I do like to add something.

@Freakyhair: 200K players online is alot, yes. It used to be like that before GE too, yes. Alot of them were bots, yes. Now I'm not saying that there aren't alot of bots still today but even with bots, 200k+ even 100k-150+ is enough. You can't rely on those figures alone, you need to know the amount of subscribers RS has. As that's where most of the money comes. It's all about money. Jagex is a company. RS is their product. Aslong as it is selling, it's not going anywhere. Especially not to the grave maybe to the skies but not the grave. :P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I'd like to rephrase the OP's post a little. Instead of asking, "Is RuneScape Dying?" how about asking "Is RuneScape sustainable?".

I'll admit that RS has gotten really popular in the past few days, but that doesn't mean that RuneScape (by it's very design) isn't on the path to eventual death.

- When you start out as a new player there is a huge mountain of skills/tasks/quests that you must attempt to climb, and with every update that mountain gets higher. Is there a point at which a new player will simply get too discouraged at what is in front of him and simply decide not to try?

- Moneymaking at high levels has gotten quite easy lately, but still remains pretty difficult for newer players. Will competition with level 130s who have 500M+ in the bank be enough to make the game unplayable for for them?

- Is the entirety of RuneScape just getting too complex? Training methods are constantly revised. The map is constantly being expanded. When will there just be to much information to process and create a barrier to entry for a new player?

Here is a little example from real life. I am a horrible ice skater. My attempts at skating usually involve me stumbling slowly around the rim of the rink holding on to the wall, attempting not to fall down. Meanwhile, all around me there are people racing, spinning, and jumping backwards. Most of them learned when they were little kids and have a huge advantage over me. At my point in life, learning to skate has just become prohibitively inconvenient and there is no way for me to "compete" with those around me.

In a similar way, everyone who is a high level today became so when RuneScape was (figuratively) a child. But RuneScape is growing older, and people starting today are at a huge disadvantage. I guess that the real question is whether that disadvantage will ever become so big that nobody will want to even start playing anymore.

OK. I'd like to rephrase the OP's post a little. Instead of asking, "Is RuneScape Dying?" how about asking "Is RuneScape sustainable?".

I'll admit that RS has gotten really popular in the past few days, but that doesn't mean that RuneScape (by it's very design) isn't on the path to eventual death.

- When you start out as a new player there is a huge mountain of skills/tasks/quests that you must attempt to climb, and with every update that mountain gets higher. Is there a point at which a new player will simply get too discouraged at what is in front of him and simply decide not to try?

- Moneymaking at high levels has gotten quite easy lately, but still remains pretty difficult for newer players. Will competition with level 130s who have 500M+ in the bank be enough to make the game unplayable for for them?

- Is the entirety of RuneScape just getting too complex? Training methods are constantly revised. The map is constantly being expanded. When will there just be to much information to process and create a barrier to entry for a new player?

Here is a little example from real life. I am a horrible ice skater. My attempts at skating usually involve me stumbling slowly around the rim of the rink holding on to the wall, attempting not to fall down. Meanwhile, all around me there are people racing, spinning, and jumping backwards. Most of them learned when they were little kids and have a huge advantage over me. At my point in life, learning to skate has just become prohibitively inconvenient and there is no way for me to "compete" with those around me.

In a similar way, everyone who is a high level today became so when RuneScape was (figuratively) a child. But RuneScape is growing older, and people starting today are at a huge disadvantage. I guess that the real question is whether that disadvantage will ever become so big that nobody will want to even start playing anymore.

Very nicely put :thumbup:

the game is not dying

your interest in the game is dying

This. In before a new "RS is dying" thread every week for the rest of Tip.it's life.

Both this.

Add Bots thread too.

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

RS may not be dying but it is stagnating in terms of growth. A period of stagnation is usually followed by a period of decay.

The fact that the total amount of players is not growing at any mentionable rate shows that the game is stagnating. Sure stagnation is not dying but stagnation is many time followed by decay. It will become apparent in the next year or two whether or not RS will stay strong or slowly die away. (A rebound is more likely though :thumbsup:)

Sure you might see plenty of people in RS but compare it to some other games and there is a noticeable difference, sure its more popular then others but the pop. growth in RS is not gaining much ground.

My 2 cents. :^_^:

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

RuneScape is truly a unique game in my opinion. It still has many years to go, and even with that I don't think people will ever stop playing. People may stop playing to continue with new things in life, but new people will replace them and have years of fun like the past people did. Jagex have money, with money comes advertising, they will always have people. I truly think Runescape is at it's biggest at the moment and growing (now Free trade is back) :ohnoes:

Thanks,

Quenya

Serious question: is it possible for you guys to disagree with what he says but not attack him personally? I thought the OP brought up a good point about how they're quite a few more high levels than in previous months/years. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP. But quite frankly I've also seen (negative) changes on these forums, to the point where it's quite difficult to find players maturely discussing something.

I see no problem with personal attacks unless there's enough of it to stop the content getting across. I agree that the OP's point might be valid, but he is unwilling to provide evidence when asked. When someone insists that they're right without providing evidence, the only replies available are the ignore and the point-and-laugh.

I don't really think that the mountain's height is a problem. When I started playing Runescape, I had no thoughts of maxing. Also, I have doubts on whether the mountain has gotten higher time-wise. Unlocking all available content is much easier now than it was in 2005.

New players don't compete with level 130's. They compete with people their level that utilize similar training methods. The only place where you have to put in more work because you started late is the rares market.

No reason you can't use the old and simple training methods. New methods shouldn't devalue old methods. You're still doing the same thing chopping yews for xp, if anything it's less crowded because your competition is chopping ivy.

The problem with your analogy is that you're focusing too much on competition. Unless you're learning skating solely to compete, it shouldn't matter how good other people are. You're doing the same thing.

My thoughts in bold.

Castle of Zoltar

this afternoon i asked the 270k players on if they thought rs was dying, and it turns out yes it is, theres plenty of fresh death in the wildy happening every second and all 270k people enjoy every bit of it

Make that 269,999 people.... I don't like the wildy and I probably wont go there for a long long long time. So I don't enjoy every bit of the fresh death in wildy.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Eugh... Talk about a 'Citation needed' generation...

Lotsa drama over something pretty insignificant.

OT: I think you're right to say that the game has become too top heavy to the point where vital content, such as DG, is all but totally inaccessible unless you're at least 130 having already trained to DG90, which takes hundreds, if not thousands of hours to achieve already.

Is it dying? Too early to say.

Dang, I ahte this whole proof thing man, like fair you need proof. But not everything needs proof, like can you people not just remmber things and take it like that? my IRL friend uses forums all the time yeah, and he bangs on about proof all the time. Im sorry but sometimes its just like stfu.

Ok so I dont have a pic, but i got linked to a site that had all the unique rs traffic month by month for 4 years, im trying to find it now but its just coming up with car ownership lol. also I know from my own experience and just by looking at the ammount of players on. Right now 200k is quite alot to be fair, maybe i posted this at a bad time.. but trust in like a few weeks im sure itll go back to around 100/150. Can you guys really not remember checking the players online and thinking 'this is a lot lower than what it was?' .

dunno i guess its true tho, no point debating something without any fact or figures..

i dunno does it really not feel like its dying to you guys tho?

No need for proof you say? :twisted: I saw that there were 560k players on today, and I know that site you're talking about, and it showed that today rs had 10.6 million unique hits. I didn't take any pics though cause theres no need for proof, and also, I lost the site just now, it turned into a car site. :rolleyes:

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

i dunno does it really not feel like its dying to you guys tho?

No. I feel that the game is steadily getting more lively.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I don't think the actually game is dying but many of the peoples interest is starting to fade. I've been playing since Rs2 1st came out and nowadays the changes are just becoming to frequent. Not the game I love anymore like i used to when it was all new and everything.

I think that for the older generation the spirit of the games dying because it is not what it once was. T

To the newer generation they never knew the good old times so it's all the same to them. The game they fell in love with still exists.

If you mean peoples feelings towards the game and how it is or if the game will last for another 10 years then ofc it will last another 10 years, JaGex will do w/e to keep the cash coming in. But will the game be dead to the people playing now in 10 years. I think for a good ammount of players at the moment yes.

Causing_Fear.png

110225183300.png

"I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American."Daniel Webster

Finally! I found a graph

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/runescape.com

Runescape definately is losing players, glad I could prove it. hence, id say, slowly dying.

1 Month Increase

1 runescape.com 0.41%

Percent of global Internet users who visit runescape.com:

Reach Change

Yesterday 0.09500 +7%

7 day 0.08100 +16%

1 month 0.07250 +3%

since when is that dieing?????

fry.jpg

graph.png

Overall they are losing traffic to other games.

Although the last month has seen a 16% increase in traffic, obviously.

But that is nothing compared to 2009 where the graph begins.

Also fun to notice the increase in traffic around holidays as many come back and log on simply to collect the holiday item.

Imo this game is dying. Jagex loving bots, new gravestones, most people now a days are high level efficiency clowns, money + stats mean everything, having fun non-efficiently is a no-no, nothing is an achievement due to people playing literally on average 8+ hrs everyday if they're in school, if not 12+ hrs/day.

However free trade besides gravestones is a amazing and I love no more filters.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Imo this game is dying. Jagex loving bots, new gravestones, most people now a days are high level efficiency clowns, money + stats mean everything, having fun non-efficiently is a no-no, nothing is an achievement due to people playing literally on average 8+ hrs everyday if they're in school, if not 12+ hrs/day.

However free trade besides gravestones is a amazing and I love no more filters.

I love you

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Well its undeniable that a lot less players are using it, maybe theres a small boost right now, but in december i heard ther were 2.5m uniquie hits on rs, around 3 years ago it wsas 4.5-6.5m .

Has anyone stopped to consider that there are most likely the same number of players logging on, it's just the massive amounts of botters that are largely gone that were inflating the numbers back then?

If I'm right, that would easily explain why the numbers were higher 3 years ago as opposed to now...

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.