The Private Server Syndrome

la la la

Yesterday's updates obviously brought massive change to how we view money-making in Runescape. Money is now being thrown around for billions in the duel arena, and flipping profits people over 10m per hour if done right. Pretty much, it feels like making money is a joke now.

But is it? All of this moneymaking that was introduced isn't really making money, just redistributing it. Disregarding bots, which may result in some inflation, we aren't really making much money at all with free trade. In fact, we're being less productive by staking and merchanting than we would be crafting natures or whatever you do.

With all of this money being thrown around, Runescape doesn't even feel real. I handled billions of coins in items/cash yesterday, made 60m flipping for a few hours, made another 20m overnight flipping, lost 250m on the white p hat rise, and I'm not particularly excited or bothered. To describe it realistically, it feels like I'm playing a private server or some kind of fake Runescape.

Is it just me? Does anybody else feel like everything is fake? I'm sure this will wear off as I normalize myself to the thought of free trade and old-style merchanting. It's just that the changes yesterday were so vast and impacting that I can't yet fully comprehend it. Before trade limits, I was pushing a 100m bank. Even during trade limits, the max cash I had was 100m, and I used it to buy a red paper hat, which I upgraded once and held on to since yesterday. I had never held more than 150m, and I had never had an elite item like an ely/divine, yet yesterday, I went to sleep with a divine and almost 300m cash.

I have to place most of the blame on staking. Watching friends (and myself for a little while) exchange values of dozens to hundreds of millions, even billions, without breaking a sweat makes me forget how hard it is to actually produce that cash.

lalalasig2.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it feels so incredibly different - but I disagree with you when you say it feels fake. To me, it feels free.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I agree that it feels so incredibly different - but I disagree with you when you say it feels fake. To me, it feels free.

Last week, I got a claw drop and was happy to have the extra cash. I made more than triple that from flipping yesterday, and I didn't even care (i was more interested in the market implications). I'm not trying to show off or anything, I just have to express the magnitude of the cash we're dealing with.

lalalasig2.png

Last week, I got a claw drop and was happy to have the extra cash. I made more than triple that from flipping yesterday, and I didn't even care (i was more interested in the market implications). I'm not trying to show off or anything, I just have to express the magnitude of the cash we're dealing with.

I see exactly what you are talking about, and yes flipping can make you a ton. But if you compare it to the limited RS, it feels a lot more free - you can do whatever. It would be extreme to compare it to a totalitarian government vs 'normal' government, but IMO that's the sort of thing, albeit on a much much smaller scale.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Take in consideration that gold value has been heavily devalued since '07, and not everybody has billions of coins to throw around in any case.

I don't know about you, but I'm still on edge when making high value stakes.

Of course high value depends from person to person, but if you were to stake a partyhat or two, you'd break a sweat.

And remember, when you gain cash through those methods, other people lose cash. So it all evens out, flipping or not, there is no inflation or deflation of gold value.

crossed_body.png

What's the matter? You forget how to play rs pre 08?

Give it time and you'll figure out how to trade with guy standing next to the GE or declare bank sale.

Give it time and you'll get your bank cleaned at staking unless you got a great gimmick.

Give it time and half the runescape population will figure out how to play again. :rolleyes:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

It's actually pushed me somewhat into the ground and de-motivated me. :P

I hardly have cash at the moment because I have it in items, so I haven't been able to make any visible profit. Neither have I player killed or staked. Seeing the pictures going around here really ripped a hole in my motivation to Runecraft.

I was determined that Free Trade wouldn't be the end of me though as I've lived through it before, but it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

And my god I'm already tired of the beggars, idiots and scammers that came with the update. I miss 2008-2010 in terms of that previous sentence.

What's the matter? You forget how to play rs pre 08?

Give it time and you'll figure out how to trade with guy standing next to the GE or declare bank sale.

Give it time and you'll get your bank cleaned at staking unless you got a great gimmick.

Give it time and half the runescape population will figure out how to play again. :rolleyes:

It's not as much a matter of forgetting as viewing Runescape now as 3 different games : Pre-trade limits, where I was pretty lowly and had my 91 rc and a santa hat... that was pretty much it; with trade limits, where I had a p hat that I never separated myself from and like 150m max to play around with; and now, where I have a divine and over 1.2b net worth.

Do you see how it could be hard tying the games together?

lalalasig2.png

Okay, I've jsut been at world 2 and it's crazy. I bought 5 red masks in GE and from players for 95m. 20 min later, I'm able so tell at 98m. That's 15m profit in 20 min if I would sell (but I won't cause I expect them to rise more).

Krimandy buying at 99m now. Wtf is going on.

Yeah it is a joke and something needs to happen. You and I pretty much went through the same thing yesterday with selling a white partyhat and making ridiculous amounts of money off buying/selling from the cash earned. The profits are just too easy and right now all big ticket items are being pushed up and all the bulk items are being pushed down. I hate to say it but they need to place the 4 hour cap back on the GE and if people want to buy more of an item then they'll have to go through other players. I think most people expected that was what was going to happen anyway.

~ Arcane Rift ~

:: 99 Smithing - 2007-03-04 ::

::
:: 99 Crafting - 2007-06-18 :: 99 Fletching - 2007-08-27 ::

:: 99 Strength - 2009-05-28 ::

:: 99 Prayer - 2011-11-27 ::
:: 99 Slayer - 2012-01-15 ::

:: 99 Summoning - 2012-12-07 :: 99 Firemaking - 2012-12-09 :: 99 Woodcutting - 2013-01-17 :: 99 Mining - 2013-01-31 ::

It always looks like im missing some kind of closely guarded market secret when I view these forums. Pictures of people flipping items for 10's of millions of gp without even having to think about it does kind of baffle me as I just don't see how people manage to flip items that I've tried to flip before to no avail.

I have a 100-200m bank (fluctuates depending on whether I pour money into a skill) but now that just seems like nothing when you see people staking 400m+ in a single stake.

Sylpheed.png

I'm sure this will wear off soon. People are excited and they're exercising their freedom. The economy is going a little crazy, which is causing all the ridiculous flipping profits. Give it time and prices will stabilize and people will go back to skilling.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Haha, I definately know what you mean. Yesterday I had about 15m, today I have 150. I managed to get a santa for 5m on GE, which kinda makes it feel worthless. But I think its only a few players that feel like this, and those are all players with rares. I reckon its just becuazse it was such a big change and the markets went CRAZY still are in fact, basically everythings sorting itself out after being artificially priced.

You had a p hat aswell and considering the crazy rises going on there, thats probally why you feel like it..

Also for me personally I always get disillusioned when i come into cash. for me at least ive fluctuated between 1-150m ever since i started and everytime i get the rares i strive for i never feel like i imagined i would..

but yeah, i mean p hats were like 100m when the ,limits came in right? maybe more i cant remmeber.. but they only went up 300m over 3 years or something, thats definately not right, especially considering the ammount of cash being created with the limits, and bounty and tricking etc.

EDIT:

oh yeah, and for me personally, i break a sweat when im in the wildy risking 5m so count yourself lucky if you dont mind staking 100!!

I might be slightly wrong, but more than 50% of the people in developed countries work in the tertiary economic sector, meaning that they don't produce anything either, so from that perspective, such a change is smart. It's too bad that you brought out a moneymaker that actually doesn't produce any money(crafting natures), but if you look at the game as a whole, there are very little ways in which you can make alot of cold hard gp an hour. Frost dragon bones don't actually generate any gp, so they are, in a way, similar to merchanting.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It always looks like im missing some kind of closely guarded market secret when I view these forums. Pictures of people flipping items for 10's of millions of gp without even having to think about it does kind of baffle me as I just don't see how people manage to flip items that I've tried to flip before to no avail.

I have a 100-200m bank (fluctuates depending on whether I pour money into a skill) but now that just seems like nothing when you see people staking 400m+ in a single stake.

I happen to agree with this guy. It feels like there's some secret that a lot of people here know, that I don't.

I got MY rare (blue h'ween) off claw drops...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

how can you say you lost money on the white phat rise? white phats were never worth their old market price.

reread what he wrote

he sold his white for ~1b

people are buying whites now for ~1.3b

Well, he didn't actually lose any money, rather missed out on 300m profit.

I don't want to play merchscape in runescape. :mellow:

Money is just way too easy to come by these days. We seriously need something to drain massive amount of coinages out of the game.

there is no difference, forgone profit is equivalent to taken loss

Only if you can foresee the future.