The Private Server Syndrome

la la la

I don't want to play merchscape in runescape. :mellow:

then don't. problem solved.

Money is just way too easy to come by these days.

no

We seriously need something to drain massive amount of coinages out of the game.

very no. the existence of wealth is not a reason to incite deflation.

--

there is no difference, forgone profit is equivalent to taken loss

Only if you can foresee the future.

i expected you of all people to know the difference between accounting profit and economic profit. he could not know that he would lose the 300m profit if he sold, but that doesn't change that he still lost it. it is a loss.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I somewhat agree. I was able to flip about 10m in total yesterday without breaking a sweat. Hell, I did it sleeping.

It feels a little weird. I suppose I'll get used to it, but I agree with another poster that this is just because of the update being yesterday. Once everyone calms down, things will stabilize.

I've played another game on both the official and private servers. On privates, money is worth something until you reach a point. The elite in the servers have no real use for money. It's all about items. On officials, since the volume of players are higher and there are PLENTY of items in the game, money held more weight.

top_lel_face.png

i expected you of all people to know the difference between accounting profit and economic profit. he could not know that he would lose the 300m profit if he sold, but that doesn't change that he still lost it. it is a loss.

You can't legally declare potential loss of profit as a loss. It's not a loss because you can't predict the future, thus there is no way to talk about it as a loss. At the time of the same white was worth 1b, and as he sold it for 1b, he got what it was worth. White now and white a day ago are separate items, thus you can't compare then equally. You could go into details how everyone in 01 were complete morons for not selling their hats for max cash in a few years, but it just doesn't make any sense. You don't lose money by selling items for what they are worth, no matter what the future brings for those items, unless you are aware of the change in price.

Just remember, you can't lose what you never had.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It's not as much a matter of forgetting as viewing Runescape now as 3 different games : Pre-trade limits, where I was pretty lowly and had my 91 rc and a santa hat... that was pretty much it; with trade limits, where I had a p hat that I never separated myself from and like 150m max to play around with; and now, where I have a divine and over 1.2b net worth.

Do you see how it could be hard tying the games together?

Your going to quit soon.

This is how it feels before it happens

1.2 billion would make me quit.

Game takes no skill or determination to do anything with that kind of money.

Hell one friend gave me his yellow phat when he quit in 06.

That almost was the end of me.

Thank goodness for castlewars or I would have never stuck around long enough to get back in the mood to max out.

Textbook accounting english need not apply on runescape video game forums. Thanks.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

nothing has changed, everyone's wealth is just suddenly out in the open. It's like people saying there are more natural disasters these days - there generally aren't, but it seems that way because everything is so widely broadcasted.

The way you feel will pass, it felt bloody strange logging in the days after we lost it in 07 so of course it'll feel wierd after ~3 years without

I definitely feel like it's fake.

People are throwing around cash as if it's nothing. Never have I had more than 20M to do stuff with, and even then I had to budget my money so that I could cover a wide array of possible skilling. Seeing people throw around millions upon millions of GP is just crazy. It's like everything I worked hard for is meaningless.

I have 200k right now, and with items, probably... 5M? It feels ridiculous because I'm so used to working around GE prices. Before the removal of the Wildy and Free Trade, it took me 3 years to make 300k, in F2P. Maybe it's because I'm a "Limited RS" generation of members, but it's feeling like members is impossible for me with all this devalued money floating around...

Hope I voiced my thoughts half-decently... :unsure:

it's a game...it is fake. Just thought I should clear that up for you.

It's no different than many speculative economies around the world.

then make 200m overnight irl plz

Quite a few banks and stockbrokers have done that. I don't have the funds or the knowhow. Similarly, I can't do that in RS either.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

It takes money to make money. (Yes, no actual new money is made, blah blah. I'm still aquiring wealth, if you want me to use a different term.) I remember when the GE first came out, i had a lowly 17m to my name. I've flipped allot, and it's gotten to the point where i can make that in a day if i spend the time at the GE. Yet i still feel like there's allot more i could do if i had a bigger cashpile lying around, go figure.

Point is, everyone feels in awe of the rich / maxed / whatever players at some point of their lives. It's not that hard to get there yourself if you put the effort in.

I only see rich people making hundreds of millions.

Same. Small amount of you jerks are making tons of money, would be nice if I could do that. Also, if it's making the game boring......just stop merching?

so people that make alot of money are jerks now? explain please

Same. Small amount of you jerks are making tons of money, would be nice if I could do that. Also, if it's making the game boring......just stop merching?

Oh, probably jealousy.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

being already rich helps but having some common sense helps even more

It's not as much a matter of forgetting as viewing Runescape now as 3 different games : Pre-trade limits, where I was pretty lowly and had my 91 rc and a santa hat... that was pretty much it; with trade limits, where I had a p hat that I never separated myself from and like 150m max to play around with; and now, where I have a divine and over 1.2b net worth.

Do you see how it could be hard tying the games together?

Your going to quit soon.

This is how it feels before it happens

1.2 billion would make me quit.

Game takes no skill or determination to do anything with that kind of money.

Hell one friend gave me his yellow phat when he quit in 06.

That almost was the end of me.

Thank goodness for castlewars or I would have never stuck around long enough to get back in the mood to max out.

Textbook accounting english need not apply on runescape video game forums. Thanks.

K, this is how you win rs: choose to be poor

Also, disregard relevant terminology.

Write in haiku.

Put periods.

At every sentence.

Also, make.

New paragraphs.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

You're post and you're avatar is so ironic its making me explode.

kazmahalfsize.png

I made quite a bit. 300M or so.

But it shall calm down. What I hate at the moment is the amount of beggars and scammers. At least pre-GE everyone knew silly tricks didn't really work so tried a little harder.

Nice to see the trimming scam is back though. :thumbup:

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

You can't legally declare potential loss of profit as a loss.

In economics yes you can, it's accounting profit versus economic profit.

It's not a loss because you can't predict the future, thus there is no way to talk about it as a loss. At the time of the same white was worth 1b, and as he sold it for 1b, he got what it was worth. White now and white a day ago are separate items, thus you can't compare then equally. You could go into details how everyone in 01 were complete morons for not selling their hats for max cash in a few years, but it just doesn't make any sense. You don't lose money by selling items for what they are worth, no matter what the future brings for those items, unless you are aware of the change in price.

He made a choice to sell his phat, and every choice incurs an opportunity cost. In this case the opportunity forgone, even if he was not aware of it, cost him 300mil. Just because you can't predict the future doesn't mean that we cannot talk about loss. If I have a choice to invest in one of two stock options, and tomorrow the one I invest in tanks and the other soars I will have lost not only my initial investment but what I would have earned had I chosen the other.

But he did have a phat, and he made a gamble and lost. It's not his fault, as you say no one can predict the future, but it's still a loss.

This might help.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

You can't legally declare potential loss of profit as a loss. It's not a loss because you can't predict the future, thus there is no way to talk about it as a loss. At the time of the same white was worth 1b, and as he sold it for 1b, he got what it was worth. White now and white a day ago are separate items, thus you can't compare then equally. You could go into details how everyone in 01 were complete morons for not selling their hats for max cash in a few years, but it just doesn't make any sense. You don't lose money by selling items for what they are worth, no matter what the future brings for those items, unless you are aware of the change in price.

Ever heard of a concept called opportunity cost? Very important to consider in economics.

notthemightiesttreeuj3.png

+-------------------------+

| . . . . Pure F2P . . . .|

| sig8.png |

| 73 74 73 75 70 86 65 80 |

| sig9.png |

| 85 80 80 80 80 80 80 65 |

| Combat: 092 Total: 1235 |

TIF, you never let me down :|

yes.png