Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Option: Buy Banned Accounts

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. If you're permanently banned for breaking the rules, that should be the end of the story. It sometimes makes me question why I continue to report rule breakers when they get handed so many jail free cards.

This isn't a "get out of jail free" card. This is more like "paying the bail". If they really want to spend actual money to get their account back, I'm sure they won't continue breaking the rules. They have to learn their lesson eventually, but I imagine after a while, you won't be able to just pay a fine and get back to breaking the rules. Some people get banned for mistakes they make, and regret. Who would it hurt if they're allowed back into the game after they've learned their lesson? The price of buying your account back is more of an insentive to not break the rules. Getting your account banned again is like throwing the money you paid to get it back down the drain.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

SixFootOne
[ Display Name History ]

SixFootOne

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Six Foot One

it would COMPLETELY solve all RWT problems

Uh. No it wouldn't. All it would do is open up competition between Jagex and RWT websites. Jagex would probably end up with having the RWTers offer the best deal (lower prices, etc) since Jagex is actually trying to profit off of this whereas many RWTers just sell gold on the side.

As for selling gold, Jagex could also open up a lot of competition, but unless Jagex is willing to almost give mils away for free, the RWT community would probably offer lower prices.

In the end, the ONLY way for Jagex to stop RWTing is to totally bork the game.

If Jagex were to sell gold for $1/mil, I doubt any RWT companies would be able to beat that price. They wouldn't be able to turn a profit like that, when you take into account the costs of memberships, internet, and the sweatshop workers who while they are paid pennies on the dollar still do have to be paid.

I am looking at several big time sellers selling their gold for .80 to $1 each. Also not all people selling gold pay workers various bot farms, or even people selling their gold from merchanting/monster hunting can sell.
Posted Image

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
Remember, RWTing isn't just about profits and credit card schemes. The idea of buying benefits for real money is something Jagex doesn't support. It ruins the fun for everyone who worked for their levels and accomplishments. If it was about profits alone, it would certainly backfire if Jagex really decides to sell game items for real life currency; everyone would quit.
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RSN:i_trollz_u
At least now it would cost people that RWT not only the money they paid and the stuff they got from it, but also extra cash to keep playing.

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

Remember, RWTing isn't just about profits and credit card schemes. The idea of buying benefits for real money is something Jagex doesn't support. It ruins the fun for everyone who worked for their levels and accomplishments. If it was about profits alone, it would certainly backfire if Jagex really decides to sell game items for real life currency; everyone would quit.

Who knows what Jagex supports anymore, other than the almighty Pound. They've proven they aren't afraid to sacrifice ethics to make more money, so I don't see why they wouldn't go all-in and do micropayments. Yes, it would corrupt the already-pathetic community. Yes, it would cause a lot of people (including me) to quit. However, in time the quitters would be replaced by people who didn't know RS without micropayments and a new status quo would develop.
Posted Image

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
A dollar, huh. 50 cents per million would definitely kill off all the RWT companies. And if Jagex were to host a legitimate way to buy cash you can be certain players would go to them since the service would be easier and at no risk to their accounts. An obvious consequence is the devaluation of currency and items, and a severe market crash. Among the impatient, the focus of the game would turn from grinding levels to access the actual content i.e. quests, clans, boss fights - into power-leveling to immediately get into what they'd consider the real meat of the game. Throw in an Eve Online-like trainer for members that automatically levels a chosen skill even when they're offline, and you'll see less cases of botting.

The question then would be, does Runescape have enough of such content to keep those kind of players long-term?

Hmm. Since this thread's opened the pandora's box, consider rares. You can be sure rares would crash if Jagex were to offer missed holiday items for cheap.

From a money-grubbing business perspective, a cash shop with effective service and prices would solve all their problems. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing one day. But such a day is when Jagex will have sold it's soul to the devil.

Then again, DeviousMud was the first instance of this game. I think Andrew's favorite words were cunning and devious.
Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

1wngedangel
[ Display Name History ]

1wngedangel

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:1wngedangel
I feel like people are over-reacting to this a little.
Jagex has to offer you the option, it isn't like everyone can just go pay $5 for their account back.
There are plenty of people who legitimately play the game, get tempted into bottom or something else that breaks the rules, and permanently lose their account. I almost lost mine a few years ago in a situation just like this; thankfully they accepted the appeal, but I would have been equally satisfied to pay a small cash sum for my account back (either way you can believe I learned my lesson). IMO people who are offered this solution by jagex will probably be people who's appeal demonstrated genuine regret for their actions, and won't be breaking rules again. The people that we need to worry about are the botters who will just move on to the next account, not the genuine players who make a mistake and potentially lose their account because of it.

With the combination of stat and bank wipes, it seems like Jagex has all the bases covered here. Anyone screaming that jagex has "sunk so low" here needs to actually think about things for a minute. This doesn't change the game in any way other than to give people a second chance. So what if jagex wants to make some money off of it? I think it should be pretty obvious by now that jagex makes a much more genuine attempt than just about any other MMO to offer their services as cheaply as possible, so why get all uppity when they introduce an optional feature which affects the game in almost no way?

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers

A dollar, huh. 50 cents per million would definitely kill off all the RWT companies. And if Jagex were to host a legitimate way to buy cash you can be certain players would go to them since the service would be easier and at no risk to their accounts. An obvious consequence is the devaluation of currency and items, and a severe market crash. Among the impatient, the focus of the game would turn from grinding levels to access the actual content i.e. quests, clans, boss fights - into power-leveling to immediately get into what they'd consider the real meat of the game. Throw in an Eve Online-like trainer for members that automatically levels a chosen skill even when they're offline, and you'll see less cases of botting.

The question then would be, does Runescape have enough of such content to keep those kind of players long-term?

Hmm. Since this thread's opened the pandora's box, consider rares. You can be sure rares would crash if Jagex were to offer missed holiday items for cheap.

From a money-grubbing business perspective, a cash shop with effective service and prices would solve all their problems. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing one day. But such a day is when Jagex will have sold it's soul to the devil.

Then again, DeviousMud was the first instance of this game. I think Andrew's favorite words were cunning and devious.

making GP too cheap would cause spiraling inflation, as the dollar to GP ratio tries to equilibriate.
50 cents per million gp would definitely put items like divines and phats well over the 2.1bil gp barrier.
if only moral issues were the only problems of making gp buyable <_<

but yeah.
The whole caving into free trade/wildy thing has got me worried.
This buying of banned accounts thing is even more worrisome.

Jagex has invested a lot of money in stellar dawn, the 3rd MMO, and of course the failed mechscape (which they already lost tens of millions on).
If all of them go under, I can see Jagex caving into financial problems.
Posted Image

i_trollz_u
[ Display Name History ]

i_trollz_u

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • RSN:i_trollz_u
The rate at which people can buy gold would definitely overcome the rate of inflation. It would just screw over anyone who doesn't want to buy gold. And pretty much all of f2p. It would just turn the game into another type of rpg. Really depends how bad RWT gets, don't think it'll ever get that bad to where jagex would have to resort to something like that.

Magbill
[ Display Name History ]

Magbill

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • RSN:I fart V2
If i was Jagex i would use this to teach the botters/rwts a lesson. Give the offer and reset more then they botted/bought. Sounds mean but it's what cheaters deserve.

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts

The rate at which people can buy gold would definitely overcome the rate of inflation. It would just screw over anyone who doesn't want to buy gold. And pretty much all of f2p. It would just turn the game into another type of rpg.

Let's say the cash shop was offered only to paying members as they've proven they got the money to spend. F2P officially being it's own game wouldn't really be affected overmuch. (F2P is, when looked at outside of Jagex's statement as being otherwise, honestly a demo.) Of course, it'll open a whole can of new problems.

Posted Image

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

If all of them go under, I can see Jagex caving into financial problems.

Hopefully they'll sell the rights to RS to some other company first, and hopefully that company wouldn't be as [bleep]ing clueless as Jagex.
Posted Image

RSBDavid
[ Display Name History ]

RSBDavid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,113 posts
  • RSN:Davidd
It seems as if Jagex is adding more options for their customer support to assist players with. Perhaps they are working on finally putting together a call center or something.

Posted Image

[Software Engineer] - [Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts

If Jagex were to sell gold for $1/mil, I doubt any RWT companies would be able to beat that price. They wouldn't be able to turn a profit like that, when you take into account the costs of memberships, internet, and the sweatshop workers who while they are paid pennies on the dollar still do have to be paid.

From what I've heard from a real life friend who RWTs, the price is already nearly that low anyway.

Jagex could very well offer such a low price that RWTers wouldn't feel like it's worth doing any longer, but on the same coin, I doubt Jagex, as a company, would as well.

Also, looking from a different perspective, if Jagex sold gold for say $0.50/mil, there could be more of a profit loss from people getting fed up and quitting the game than the money that Jagex could make from RWT. Over half the price per mil than RWT websites AND something that will keep you from getting banned by Jagex? Hell yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would bite that bait. A lot of people would quit too, not to mention that it would totally screw the game economy if Jagex spawned gold to sell to people (leading to more quitters).

Content. Actual, in-game content that doesn't really involve mindless grinding. Things like fighting Jad, or castle wars, or quests. Hell, even dungeoneering. That is the only way Jagex will be able to keep enough players in an ocean full of gold. Some of us do find chopping trees down and laying a trail of fire as relaxing and like the laid-back attitude compared to other MMORPGs. But going by the amount of bots in the game there is a sizeable population that clearly do not like the grind and just simply want to go straight into what they think of as the real game, i.e. pking.

As for the 50cents per mil, it's something more along the lines of 25-30 cents per mil. And Jagex can beat the RWTers by offering good service and absolutely no risk of the account being compromised which dealing with RWTers sometimes does.

Posted Image

Ichimaru
[ Display Name History ]

Ichimaru

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 161 posts
- They reduce stats instead of banning botters to make more $ off monthly payments
- They bring back free trade and wild to get more $ off subscribers
- They allow people to buy back banned accounts for $ and potential $ off subscriptions

Somewhere down the road that's gotta lead to microtransactions.

'Come check out the new Dragonic Wings! For a limited time only in the Cash Shop at a special introductory price of 3000 Jcoins!' (30$)

F2P games are much more profitable for game developers than P2P ones, and they require less work and less content. Maybe Jagex got fed up and decided to try and squeeze maximum money out of the game. On F2P games, the "big spenders"(I call them freaks tbh) are easily putting thousands of dollars a year into various items that give them an edge over normal people. Probably Jagex is now trying to tap into all that potential money.

They would most likely start with cosmetic items that don't give you any actual advantage other than looks, and then when they've softened you up, they start adding stuff that makes an actual game play difference.

Bladewing
[ Display Name History ]

Bladewing

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,072 posts
  • RSN:Stringcheze

It ruins the fun for everyone who worked for their levels and accomplishments.

no it doesn't

my levels and accomplishments are just as valuable to me even if joe shmoe botted and rwt'd to 2400 total and 4b bank.

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

As for the 50cents per mil, it's something more along the lines of 25-30 cents per mil. And Jagex can beat the RWTers by offering good service and absolutely no risk of the account being compromised which dealing with RWTers sometimes does.

At that rate, it'd be like our government trying to stop Al Qaeda by out-terroristing them.

"We're going to blow up two of your buildings"
"Yea well we're going to level the entire state of Texas with a barrage of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles."

Then we can all revel in how Jagex truly was not only the direct cause of their own death, but that suicide was the only thing they were truly efficient at.
Posted Image

Posted Image

BioIce
[ Display Name History ]

BioIce

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 564 posts

At that rate, it'd be like our government trying to stop Al Qaeda by out-terroristing them.

"We're going to blow up two of your buildings"
"Yea well we're going to level the entire state of Texas with a barrage of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles."

Then we can all revel in how Jagex truly was not only the direct cause of their own death, but that suicide was the only thing they were truly efficient at.

Hah. But what else can Jagex do to stay afloat as the years roll by and players migrate to other, newer games?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and mention Steam and DRM. No one likes DRM apart from masochists. But Steam has made it so that it isn't really too much of an intrusion. People don't mind it due to how well they're serviced by the company.

Then again Jagex is quite poor at the customer service department.

EDIT:

It ruins the fun for everyone who worked for their levels and accomplishments.

no it doesn't

my levels and accomplishments are just as valuable to me even if joe shmoe botted and rwt'd to 2400 total and 4b bank.

Being in a mmorpg obviously means people compare themselves so much to others. They'd be a lot happier if they didn't and just focused on how they like to play.

Posted Image

I_am_Not
[ Display Name History ]

I_am_Not

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 599 posts
Mils on the black market are already going for under 1$ if you find the right person.
Only reason gp was so expensive before was because only a select few knew how to transfer a substantial amount in a short time and well yeah..no need for that now.

I just browsed[insert bad site here] for less than a minute and saw well over 5b+ going for under 1$/M, jagex would have to go extremely low with their prices if they wanted to knock most rwt sites off.
Lastly, jagex is a business meaning they'll do pretty much anything to make money, I see nothing wrong with unbanning accounts for money.

That's their whole purpose anyway, isn't it?
Posted Image
If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Dominion
[ Display Name History ]

Dominion

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • RSN:Kire667
  • RSN2:catherby_9
  • Clan:W9HQ
This is old news. I told everyone under the Rants thread of Jagex forum stating that this entire vote is means to restore the old RWT. Bots won and Jagex gave up. They want their cut of the profit so they're willing to accept money from botters to let them get back their stats/account and bot on a new macro until they make a better detection to track better bot programs.

It's like a game of chess. You beat me to posting it here but I'm working on informing the other main websites of RuneScape. Won't name them here obviously but this NEEDS to be spread all around to legit players to gather and give Jagex the trump card saying "Stop catering to botters. Stop roll backs. Just ban their ass! And NO MORE offering RWT for unbans!"

You beat me to this site but here is my 2 cents a bit late... 

Support this thread if you're NOT a bot and you feel RWT to Jagex or ANYONE is an unfair advantage...

Quick find code: 129-130-480-62302271
http://services.rune...271,7,299273172

The following issue arose while talking to Duke Needles about the recent unban of Duriel321.

Checked and confirmed. The following is a direct quote from the link below. It is taken from Jagex's RuneScape page at Customer Support > Ban Appeals > Ban Appeal Reinstatement...

http://www.runescape.../bans_and_mutes

Banned Account Reinstatement

If Jagex bans any account as a result of your breach of the Rules of RuneScape and you have exhausted the Offence Appeals Process, Jagex may, in its absolute discretion, give you an opportunity to make a fixed payment to reinstate the account.

Any membership credit that is associated with an account cannot be used to pay for such reinstatement. Please note that throughout the period during which the account was banned, any membership credit will continue to expire.

Jagex is not obliged to reinstate any accounts. You are not obliged to exercise the option to reinstate your account. If you are offered the opportunity, it is entirely up to you whether you make any such payment to reinstate an account.

Any gains or advantages that Jagex considers were made as a result of using macros shall be removed from your account. You accept that the account will be returned to you, adjusted by Jagex to take account of the cheating offence, and no discussion will be entered into regarding the status of a returned account.

I immediately hauled off to the source. Entered clan channel Mod MMG and directed the statement to the active audience. Let them decide for themselves and spread the ill word that Jagex strikes yet again. First was bans against people that said Google or YouTube, then came price manipulation on Climbing Boots, now selling unbans for a set rate IRL.

I'll upload the video of my rank at Mod MMG cc to YouTube later. I'll also be contacting all my fellow rioters for support on this issue: Forsandg, Logdotzip, NightmareRh. One of those would LOVE to jump in on this news.

As for the forum front. I've posted a topic under "Rants" to earn support for Jagex offering an "unfair advantage" to rule offenders.

Posted at Quick find code 129-130-480-62302271

Can anyone explain to me why changes take place in RuneScape that NOBODY voted in?

The entire "Bring back Wild" was a mere distraction from the TRUE matter at hand.

While they claimed it would put us back to the way thing were, it actually threw the game into an even deeper pit than ever before!

Take example this matter. Under Customer Support > Ban Appeals > Ban Appeal Reinstatement it claims the following.

(Quote from above shown in thread.)

What does this mean for us? It means botters can pay for bot programs to max every 99. Under the new policy where bots are no longer banned only rolled back -- they get famous for being combat 4 with a Fire Cape. THEN if they get banned for anything that isn't botting they can RWT to pay Jagex for something which ISN'T mere cosmetic benefit. They can buy a ban appeal with 100% success rate.

Imagine never having to worry about being banned again! Because you can throw down 50-100$ to Jagex and get back in the game.

After the summary, closing statement post made was...

Related discussion:
15-16-352-62300241

The moron that made the new Customer Support > Ban Appeals page needs to get fired. If this took place under Mod Andrew's watch there would be no bots. He ruled this game with an iron fist.

What has Mod MMG brought to this game? He didn't bring HDif you recall that occurred under Andrew's reign.

No. What MMG brought to this game was GE which allows price manipulation of Climbing Boots. He also reverted the hard word of YEARS by Andrew to remove laundried money from crime organizations OUT of the game. It put a damper on bots that freely traded items to mains in case bot accounts were banned under Andrew's "no excuses" policy that first offense using any macro meant instant perm ban FOREVER!

Another thing MMG brings to game is a vote where bots can vote 10 per second to bring back RWT. Now that RWT is here there was a hidden update to the appeal policy including the "unfair advantage" for those with riches in RL to no longer fear the banhammer.

If you agree Jagex seems to have gone to the dark side sign this thread. If you feel paying for unbans is in good intentioned for RuneScape reply with your reasoning for this support of Jagex.

Thanks. And happy 'scaping to everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users