New Option: Buy Banned Accounts

stormfire64

A bit off topic but if Jagex is ever going to start selling gold, I don't think it'd be bad if they only acted as a middleman between buyers and sellers. Let players buy/sell gp for $ in a GE like system where the price woud adjust to supply/demand. Then Jagex would just take a commission (say 5%) from each trade. You pay $10 to buy 10m, the seller gets $9.50, Jagex gets $0.50.

This shouldn't cause inflation since no gp is added to the game. And it would probably ruin the RWT sites since the price would be determined by supply and demand, so it would always be able to compete with illegal sites. Not to mention people would be much more willing to use a 100% safe method than risk their acc.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My god, people are so melodramatic on this forum. Jagex will give SOME players the ability to buy a banned account back at their discretion.

Does this mean it's the Runescape apocalypse? No. Jagex isn't a dam charity, it's a business. If you disagree with it's ethics/morals/business model then don't play the dam game.

Completely agree.

Take this scenario from the previous method -

Player A (main account) has levelled 90 in all stats legitimately. Player A turns to the dark side and bots to 99 in all remaining stats. Player A is perm banned.

Player A quits RS as he/she can't be bothered legitimately levelling to the 90s again. Player A does not return or make a new account.

Scenario from new method -

Player A (main account) has levelled 90 in all stats legitimately. Player A turns to the dark side and bots to 99 in all remaining stats. Player A is stat reset to 85 in all levels and has to pay $15 if they want their account back.

Player A repays the debt, regains their account with 85 in all stats (lower than before botting). Player A doesn't bot again as all they've accomplished is -$15 and lower stats.

-------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't affect me or any other players, Jagex (which is a business, people seem to forget that) have profited marginally and retained a player.

Orc.png

My god, people are so melodramatic on this forum. Jagex will give SOME players the ability to buy a banned account back at their discretion.

Does this mean it's the Runescape apocalypse? No. Jagex isn't a dam charity, it's a business. If you disagree with it's ethics/morals/business model then don't play the dam game.

Completely agree.

Take this scenario from the previous method -

Player A (main account) has levelled 90 in all stats legitimately. Player A turns to the dark side and bots to 99 in all remaining stats. Player A is perm banned.

Player A quits RS as he/she can't be bothered legitimately levelling to the 90s again. Player A does not return or make a new account.

Scenario from new method -

Player A (main account) has levelled 90 in all stats legitimately. Player A turns to the dark side and bots to 99 in all remaining stats. Player A is stat reset to 85 in all levels and has to pay $15 if they want their account back.

Player A repays the debt, regains their account with 85 in all stats (lower than before botting). Player A doesn't bot again as all they've accomplished is -$15 and lower stats.

-------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't affect me or any other players, Jagex (which is a business, people seem to forget that) have profited marginally and retained a player.

I understand where that's coming from - but this update makes very little sense in my eyes.

Yes, Jagex is a business - but as a business, they should be trying to keep their returning customers. By instating this ridiculous rule, cheaters are barely penalized for crimes they commit.

It's hard to tell how much is botting, how much is actual legit stats - so I wouldn't be surprised if multiple botters didn't actually receive a full penalty on their actions.

To me, it seems like the punishment is a slap on the wrist and not enough. By reinstating botters/rwt - you're fostering a community of cheaters which brings down the worth of not only the game but your accomplishments in the game as well. However, despite all this ranting and raving - multiple game companies have changed tracks from providing a nice game to charging money and trying every way to squeeze money out of their consumers. In all the games I've played - the games will continue to exist, if not flourish.

capt%20kevin.png

This is a good thing... knowing this option is there helps me sleep at night. If by some fluke of nature my account was hacked and the hater got me banned i can now get my account back.

This could be preemptive, whatever software systems they have in place now to combat macros might give more false positives. At least now we have some options.

Some of us have so much time in these accounts there has to be fail safes.

I only log in from 2 computers EVER and they are both running linux.

Hell im scared to even talk in game... people get muted for the dumbest [cabbage].

I would pay 40$ a month for an adult server or even more for one of thoes RSA token things they were talking about a few years back.

Fools_Taco.png

microtransactions do not necessitate inflation

they could sell dragon bones for $$, for instance, which would be deflationary

Ya this is how most games with micro-transactions work anyways. For example, one of the MMO's I play right now offers upgrade items and special items (which are un-tradeable), which you can only get though the "item mall". This keeps the company in-charge over the Gold sellers because buying in-game gold cant help you get those items. The game can still make money as normal and could care less if people buy or sell gold as it's not costing the company money.

On the subject of botting, gaming companies are starting to realize that AI is reaching a point now where it's not worth fighting anymore. Heck, even new games now have a botting function built into the game itself, so everyone has the option to do it if they want to. It's much easier to embrace and utilize the new technology rather to waste resources trying to fight a losing war.

Jagex is simply finding ways to use the technology to their advantage. If you think that other players "degrade" your own accomplishments, then maybe you are only focused on how other people perceive you rather than how you perceive yourself. Is it fair that 7 people in a 100m dash run while one person uses a Moped? No, its not fair. But the person riding a Moped doesn't take away from the fact you just ran your best personal time.

I would not bot on Runescape, nor have I botted, but I could care less if they do or don't; As long as Jagex actually attempts to slow them down to a rate a player can reach, or botting is put into the game by Jagex.

This rule doesn't change anything other than give people a second chance. Items/Stats are wiped so it doesn't really give anyone any benefit.

Rare prices *sound of bomb dropping* wait for it..

*boom*

Jagex are unbanning accounts hoarding rares yep, this'll be interesting.

I've checked the forum link, and the first guy said he was banned in 2003, yet he has mime gloves?

A bit suspicious about possibly photoshopped items :unsure:

vapid of any moral fiber or belief.

I remember when cheaters were named and shamed and reputations were ruined (Xxcavalierxx) and you played knowing that your accomplishments were your own and your highscore rank was legit.

I've had friends banned since 2001, some who needed to be and some who got the rough end of the stick. I myself was stat wiped in classic not for cheating - but for ****ing activity. I didn't play long enough because i thought the rs2 release was utter crap - and *i* was punished. I was a second wave PMOD. NO WARNINGS, I played the game right - and still got wiped.

Now botting is an epidemic. RWT is back, hackers are targeting old accounts to sell on the market. Our old friends who have vanished over the years are being virtually raped and sold to the highest bidder.

And now you can buy back your account from jagex?

Jagex. British for money hungry hypocrites with no backbone.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I support this decision. I don't really see the harm in this as long as they're resetting the botted stats. Anyway, they're not even offering this option. Me and my friends, we have all checked our banned acc's, no way to buy them back.

So if i have 20$ i can go bot frosts for a week?

Sure, but have fun with lvl 10 flat...

I remember when cheaters were named and shamed and reputations were ruined (Xxcavalierxx) and you played knowing that your accomplishments were your own and your highscore rank was legit.

I've had friends banned since 2001, some who needed to be and some who got the rough end of the stick. I myself was stat wiped in classic not for cheating - but for ****ing activity. I didn't play long enough because i thought the rs2 release was utter crap - and *i* was punished. I was a second wave PMOD. NO WARNINGS, I played the game right - and still got wiped.

Now botting is an epidemic. RWT is back, hackers are targeting old accounts to sell on the market. Our old friends who have vanished over the years are being virtually raped and sold to the highest bidder.

I quite agree.

I can see why they put a cash stipulation on buybacks - if they hadn't, they would be inundated with requests. Asking a hefty price tag is a way to weed out the chaff. But still, I have problems with this even being an option.

The only possible acceptable reason would be as an admission that your past attempts at bot detection were complete [bleep]-ups and that a lot of innocents were netted. I remain skeptical that this was the case, and I haven’t seen any mea culpa statements from Jagex.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

When do they begin selling mod status. :!: :!:

(Not that I would pay for it.)

It was one thing to allow bots and rwt to win so they could cash in on membership now they can deal with the legal issues. Then choosing to allow bots to continue paying membership and instead opting to wipe stats was very sneaky of them..

..But this is just rwt by jagex. Would else would you call it? I know membership is technically rwt but thats different.. This is the negative type of rwt. Not far from selling gp tbh. Plus there are rules for a reason. If they feel like they deserve unbanning..! Then give them more appeal options that appear at a later date..!

I fully support having more appeal options if they want to unban account for whatever reason. Paying isnt necessary.. :thumbdown:

that justs sounds offensive to British people, eg me.

220px-TurtleOmaha.jpg

Yawn maybe because no one - including Jagex - really cares if people bot. Jagex can use it as a money making opportunity now, and players really dont mind. Sure some people rage if an RS buddy tells them that they bot, but most really dont care, unlike scammers or players that are generally rude or offensive with language a botter does not directly ruin your gameplay, therefor how someone chooses to play is between them and Jagex and I for one do not care.

Sure you get the fools saying "botters are devaluing my achievements" "botters ruin my money making methods" "bottings not fair" but it is a pointless endeavor to even imagine this game without them, they have been here since the beginning, and everyone knows the legit players who do great things (such as people that get 200mil xp or other feats of strength) versus the botters, who may get a few 100m or a few 99's without getting caught, its not too hard to do that legitimately anyways.

No one except the truly vindictive cares at all about bots until it starts affecting how they play. Bots crowding your tunnels hogging green dragons, bots at your yew trees taking them down within seconds, bots in your minigame fouling the score. From a pragmatic point of view, what you say is true. But from an ideal standpoint bots shouldn't be allowed to exist. It's against the spirit of the game.

And we can imagine and have experienced a game without them. After all, during the entire first year of the trade limits, having no massive crowd of bots chomping at your resources - that time is now a lost paradise.

Jagex does care that people are botting. How they go about handling the bots is where most people have a problem.

On the other hand, has anyone ever considered that botting is a symptom of broken game mechanics? Botting is done to address the boring grind. It's not merely out of greed which is but one factor. Jagex as of now is trying their own ideas to break up the game's grind. Look at the introduction of little things from effigies to activities to other diversions. Those who play legitimately, I daresay they find these new things fun to do.

But it simply isn't enough since the experience rates are, in the eyes of many players, too slow compared to a straight up grind. Until cutting ivy or cutting maples is more than just merely clicking with a mouse and waiting for the resource to dry up, using a bot to do these things for you while you go on with something fun outside of Runescape, makes for a more entertaining time.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Jagex should, instead of resetting accounts, disable a players cheater's ability to trade or use the GE. Have fun with those 99s. Now you get to farm for your gear!

Turn the cheaters into DIYers? Haha, that'll be fun! Of course, they could just fire up 10 suicide bots and drop-trade what they need.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

I suppose depending upon the circumstances this could actually cut back on RWTing. If someone's account gets banned, they may be inclined to buy a new high level account because they don't want to go through all that work again. But in this case, rather than doing that, they can buy their original account back from Jagex.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog