Your take on DIY?

99PureBroski

I do semi DIY if it cuts down on costs AND isn't boring/requires too much attention.

The tedium in cannonball making is deathly though, I'd never do that. I do, however, make my own amulets - from ores - for magic. I'm training mining, smithing, crafting and magic by doing this :thumbup: I find that sometimes DIY is the cheap, better option. Efficiency guys, don't be hating on me okay? :P

I hate to do this, but if you looked at everything you do for DIY step-by-step, it may not be as cheap or better as you think.

However, Fun > Efficiency anyways, so whatever works for you.

One question, are DIYers allowed to make money and buy items from shop? Say, mostly rune full, rune pickaxe, etc.

Cos I think it'd be rather unbearable to not be able to use a rune (or hell, addy, maybe not even mith...) until you can get a drop. (I'd say make it yourself, but you couldn't even make them until recently o_o)

Actually, better question, what items are you allowed to buy from shops? Certain items would be unavoidable, like knives, tinderboxes, etc. Items PLAYERS sell to the general store would be an obvious no-no....

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A DIY character may be fun in the future for just that, fun. I couldn't imagine trying to create a character into pro-status with just DIY...insane... :blink:

Since FUN is the only reason I play RS, I DIY a lot. To hell with efficiency.

I never bought logs, food, potions or herbs, I all got them myself. Except for 10 rocktails I needed to finish the Falador task.

Slayer is a DIY version for all kinds of combat, I like it a lot as its lessens the grinding for melee, ranged and magic.

I used the kindom for fish to cook, herbs for herblore, coal for smithing, logs for fletching/firemaking. I have crafted 99% of all the runes I used myself or got them from monster drops. When I got 100 wires from the mime court case, I raised my crafting levels to the level needed to make goblin light bulbs, and placed 100 of them for 105k firemaking xp, thieving high level chests as I was searching Dorgesh'kaan for broken lamps. I had fun while doing it, but could have gotten more money/xp in the same time grinding.

On the other hand, total DIY, however possible, would get you nowhere anytime soon, especially at lower levels. Therefore, I bought gold ores as I hate mining, buy seconds to train summoning, buy seeds to farm my herbs and buy weapons and armour as it would take too long to get them as monster drop. I buy planks to train construction and use the grand exchance to get items fast when I need them.

Touche but I don't consider DIY 50k maples for 99 firemaking fun or grinding to collect 10k dagannoth hides, seconds etc, fun either :P At least, not in one go. :unsure:

soulthresher.png

i did DIY once. i cut 1k yew logs, picked and spun 1k flax, and alched the 1k resulting bows. i then realized it was stupid and went on to buy my own supplies. only thing i diy now is mining for smithing, and a little bit of farming herbs.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Different people play different levels of DIY.

There are a few purists out there, ITAM on this site and another more accomplished one on Zybez (name escapes me).

They won't ever trade.

Some people just DIY certain things or to a certain point.

If your a new player, I certainly recommend you try it.

You'll learn the game better and it keeps it new when your constantly figuring out new ways to get things done.

I DIY when I'm unhappy with the gp/xp & willing to sacrifice to some level the xp/hr.

I have never cared for making gp in rs, so the time spent doing something I like is greater than gp production.

I DIY'ed alot pre 07 pre-godwars pre-coinshare inflation fest that trashed stand alone skilling.

In that bigone era you could have high ranks in skills as a DIY and be respected.

Now the cheaters, misfits (stakers/pkers), nonplayers (merchants), and efficiency trolls just harass you with their sad sack way of "playing" (if you want to call it that).

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I think the ge turned a lot of people away from DIY as before this trading could be annoying and so people would be more willing to get things themselves rather than trying to buy it in world 2 or the forums. With the ge it became a lot easier for people to buy things so they don't need to anymore. Also Golv, I thought that was going to be a whole post without trolling efficiency till I read the last line, you got me.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

Different people play different levels of DIY.

There are a few purists out there, ITAM on this site and another more accomplished one on Zybez (name escapes me).

They won't ever trade.

Some people just DIY certain things or to a certain point.

If your a new player, I certainly recommend you try it.

You'll learn the game better and it keeps it new when your constantly figuring out new ways to get things done.

I DIY when I'm unhappy with the gp/xp & willing to sacrifice to some level the xp/hr.

I have never cared for making gp in rs, so the time spent doing something I like is greater than gp production.

I DIY'ed alot pre 07 pre-godwars pre-coinshare inflation fest that trashed stand alone skilling.

In that bigone era you could have high ranks in skills as a DIY and be respected.

Now the cheaters, misfits (stakers/pkers), nonplayers (merchants), and efficiency trolls just harass you with their sad sack way of "playing" (if you want to call it that).

metalmaniac9.

kazmahalfsize.png

Yup, that pretty much describes inefficient dungeoneering as well.

I cut every log I've ever burned, I gathered every bone I've ever buried, I mined a majority of the ores I've smithed as well.

I prefer the DIY methods over "buying skills". I get more satisfaction from it.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I do semi DIY if it cuts down on costs AND isn't boring/requires too much attention.

The tedium in cannonball making is deathly though, I'd never do that. I do, however, make my own amulets - from ores - for magic. I'm training mining, smithing, crafting and magic by doing this :thumbup: I find that sometimes DIY is the cheap, better option. Efficiency guys, don't be hating on me okay? :P

I hate to do this, but if you looked at everything you do for DIY step-by-step, it may not be as cheap or better as you think.

However, Fun > Efficiency anyways, so whatever works for you.

One question, are DIYers allowed to make money and buy items from shop? Say, mostly rune full, rune pickaxe, etc.

Cos I think it'd be rather unbearable to not be able to use a rune (or hell, addy, maybe not even mith...) until you can get a drop. (I'd say make it yourself, but you couldn't even make them until recently o_o)

Actually, better question, what items are you allowed to buy from shops? Certain items would be unavoidable, like knives, tinderboxes, etc. Items PLAYERS sell to the general store would be an obvious no-no....

As I play for fun, I can do whatever I want. A hardcore DIYer would not buy equipment from the G.E., but from NPCs would be ok I guess. Else, they wouldn't be able to train summoning after all. I bought my rune pick and dragon axe, as I am not much of a boss fighter. I once smelted 2k cannon balls, and got to know that DIY indeed CAN mean Days Into Years, especially as a cannon slay sometimes, and especially bloodveld or abberrant spectre tasks cost a lot of cannon balls.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Once upon a time I cut 125k Willow logs on F2P to get to 99 Woodcutting and Firemaking. Once upon a time I fished 25k lobsters on RSC and early RS2 days on F2P... Just for the heck of it. Got me a few fishing and cooking levels haha.

Now I'm mining about 80k+ gold to get myself a few more decent smithing and crafting levels. But I can't honestly say that I will be able to stick with it for so long and will end up needing to switch now and again to break the monotony. So occassionally yes I like DIY, but I don't think I'd want to do it all the time... Gets frustrating, but the feeling of having been able to accomplish at least a small part makes me happy.

Hmmmm, Recently I saw a post in the Official Runescape Forum about something called DIY. And i thought it was a pretty good idea. Now when i came to this forum, i can see that it has already taken alot of people swiftly, and many people are creating such DIY accounts.

I actually think this is a GREAT way of training. I mean traditionally, you would just grind away at a monster or a skill, which could seem to be quite boring, and many people quit runescape as a whole just because of this

I think that DIY bring a certain "rotation" to the runescape levelling process, and this adds a bit more fun to runescape. Previously, I would grind my way to 40 attack, make a short trip to the G.E buy full run, then continue grinding, Its the same whole thing for Months upon months.

But now, You would be able to Grind till 40, grab a pickaxe, mine ore, smelt it, make it into armor, and then continue on, And this isn't the only thing

Fishing and cooking your food for Gigantic boss fights. Woodcutting your logs to fletch etc....

It just gives you a whole new look at Runescape, and i think it makes the game more intresting.

What do you think about it?

This totally makes sense: previously one would grind combat skills to 40, buy armour, and going back to grinding combat. But with this superior non-grind method, you train combat skills to 40, breeze your way up to 85+ mining and 99 smithing to make your own armour, then get back to the harsh grind of raising combat skills above 40.

Oh wait, that actually doesn't make any sense at all :P.

If DIY is something you find enjoyable, that's cool. It may add a certain "realism" to Runescape play, which I think is a similar reason to why some people are enamoured with the idea of W2 Falador Park market coming back. But DIYing isn't necessary to rotate skill training; if anything it causes much more grinding overall. Certainly it results in more time taken to achieve the same levels experience and/or money.

TL;DR:

More fun: Possibly.

Less grinding: Haha, not a chance.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I sometimes DIY, it can be fun when you're doing it for a proper reason. I remember getting four quest requirements with little cost by mining gold ore, smelting the bars with gauntlets, crafting gold amulets, using magic to string them, before alching the lot. It was very satisfying and elegant.

Alright, so I didn't craft the runes, so it's not perfect DIY, but I didn't need Runecrafting levels. You have to be reasonable about it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• 3 weeks later...

I've been diy/purist for a few years. I've just started too many new accounts in the last 3 years though to get anywhere... My first account I traded, but I didn't enjoy it. It just felt cheap to me.

Don Roshi is the account I've put the most effort in to, but I've started many since then. The main reason was I like being lvl 3.

So I started Zalthir, got to lvl 70 agilty, 63 hunter, and a decent level in fishing...but I messed it up by hunting grey chinchompa's to get lvl 63. For some reason I ended up selling them on the G.E. So I quit the account immediately afterwards.

Aalthir is my current account. I've got a huge plan for him. One skill leads in to another. Agility is the first skill I'm raising, since it benefits a lot of other skills and there's not really anything needed to start it. I'm on the way to 75 agility. Then it's on to raising Hunter to lvl 80 by catching Tropical Wagtails (for feathers). My main problem is that I can't bank the raw bird meat... Once at lvl 80 it'll be off to barehand catch butterflies until I'm as close to 99 hunter as I dare. At this point I'll be around 83-84 Agility. Finish off at wildy for 85, then it's advanced gnome. Because of having good hunter I can get plenty of handy items, mainly a Mithril pickaxe. Once that is obtained - it's off to mining...and I'll stop there...but it does go on.

I think I'll end up with pretty decent skills/items before venturing in to combat.

No trading (with 2 exemptions for quests)/no G.E./no buying anything from shops that I can make(within reason. I did feel at bit shady buying hunting items, and my big net).

Everything's cool when your PMD.

Levelling up when you're a new player is quite fun - though probably because you get so many fast levels! I remember feeling the satisfaction for each level back then. Nowadays a level to me is just another level towards 99, and I'm not really happy with the skill until it's at least in the 90's.

After 9 years of playing with only 15/25 skills at 99, it's quite depressing to know I'm only just over half way there to where I want to be. I think I will have to continue buying the materials for more 99's and/or using effigies. For DIY skills, I may do some mining here and there, but I don't think I will do runecrafting at any point in time - effigies ftw!

2vuhgcn.png

DIY is one play style that attracts me the most, but I know I'd never have the patience to be 100% DIY - the thought of starting a new account and having to either kill for a drop/get mining and smithing up high enough for rune is a bit of an off put for me, heh.

Nevertheless, I do some DIY now and again - I made about 100 decorated fishing urns last night in the crafting guild, for instance :P I don't do it that much, it's more of a spur of the moment thing for me, but I enjoy skilling just as much as I do killing - apart from runecrafting, that is >_> that one is slated for peng points and xp lamps only for xp gains. Firemaking is a little iffy for me as well, although I prefer wc'ing and fm'ing teaks on Ape Atoll more than straight up firemaking (or repairing Dorgesh Kaan light bulbs).

I enjoy playing efficiently, but I also enjoy DIY sometimes, depending on my mood, I guess. Maybe I'm odd, seeing as I enjoy both... :P

Link_Olaran.png

Guest jrhairychest

DIY's a great idea. Puts the fun and achievement back into gaming rather than buying skills, the money obsession and getting off on being uberwhopperwootage efficient. I've sometimes let my thoughts waver to everything being totally untradeable so we'd have do everything ourselves. Be worth it just to see the ragequitting lol :-D