Your take on DIY?

99PureBroski

you guys realize rs is meant to attract young people , and by young, i mean inexperienced, closed minded, and yea its all about your perspective.no point in even trying to argue how one should enjoy a game

i made my account in 06 and have been diyer ever since. its the way i play games. to each his own ;p i was never inspired by another diy'er, just from my personal experience in diablo 1 and 2, its the only way i can stand these kinds of games :)

i enjoyed all my fishing exp, knowing it was going to aid my slayer/boss hunting

i enjoyed mining/smithing the 150k + iron knives i used slaying for 99 range

most of all, i enjoyed waiting until 80/90 crafting for glory/fury and every gwd run is like christmas for me

especially when i did 1000+ solo zilyana kills with monkfish :)

and @ people who automatically assume a diy'er has to cut 100k + maples for 99fm/fletch, try and think outside the box, and use the game to its fullest

aka MTK, Slayer (mass p ess, as people assume id never mine the p ess needed for 99 rc, ive got nearly 200k banked and wil probobly have 1mil+ P ess eventually, that ill never get around to using)

money for con/summ, just do a few clues and youll realize you get rune items out the ass :)

oh, i forgot to mention, i average 35k xp per hour. as i've seen in polls on d2jsp rs subforums, thats roughly the average, if not more, than most people's xp / hour :)

only difference is i just have a 1.5bil bank and growing

but yea, my sig is stats from being 100% diy'er and solo combat in the past 5 years and ive enjoyed every minute of it :)

Itam.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of an idiot is going to waste hours upon hours getting fish and cook up in order to fish and cook rocktails before doing a boss, or farm herbs for days before having the farm/herb to make brews/sup restore, and then spend hours doing dumb stuff like picking 2nds from the ground... lol nothx I value my time over a flax picker's

I think it's more idiotic to not DIY most RS skills. If you DIY and spread your efforts across multiple related skills, you're not as much of a slave to the fickle economy as a Pure [insert player caste]. I've been a DIY player on my main since I started it, and as a result I'm extremely self-sufficient. My levels are such that I can make nearly everything I use on a regular basis or buy it through the GE. Granted, I usually choose to buy things like coal or cosmic runes when I need them, but that's due more to my limited online time than anything, but it's nice to have the option to make/gather my own should I choose to.

Efficiency and DIY are actually not as mutually exclusive as most people think. In order to DIY effectively, you have to be very efficient with your time and maximize any advantage you can get. This includes quest rewards, Bonus XP weekends, interlinking skills (i.e. using Smithing and Fletching to train Range, Runecrafting and Agility to train Magic, Mining and Smithing to train Melee, using Fishing, Woodcutting and Firemaking to train combat skills like Slayer, using Farming to train Herblore and Summoning, etc.) My main source of income is buying Battlestaves from Naff and Baba Yaga and turning them into Fire Battlestaves by using my Crafting, Magic, Combat and Agility skills to make my own Fire Orbs in addition to several quest rewards to gather supplies, such as the 84 free sand buckets from Hand in the Sand among others. To get my 2000+ gp profit per staff (and I've finished enough Tasks that I can make 52 a day), I also earn quite a bit of exp in all those skills. Yes, it takes a while since I can't use the lvl 70 or 80 shortcuts through the Taverly dungeon, but the payoff is worth it to me because it's fun and I'm training several skills simultaneously instead of grinding out one skill at a time. In my mind, that's more efficient than getting a few thousand exp per hour in a single skill.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

i did DIY once. i cut 1k yew logs, picked and spun 1k flax, and alched the 1k resulting bows. i then realized it was stupid and went on to buy my own supplies. only thing i diy now is mining for smithing, and a little bit of farming herbs.

im 100% diy'er and evne i think wcing 1k yews to fletch/alch is [developmentally delayed]ed. but as you go along, slay, kill [cabbage], do stuff, you accumulate tons of raaw resources. ive got 4k+ yew longs in my bank, that i made without wcing more than 200 yew logs ;)

~1500 magic logs built up over time, havent cut more than 28 of these either, 15k+ nats without rcing. in fact the only things ive ever rced that i've actually needed are fire/air runes, as i've easily gone through 250k+ fire runes and 50k+ air runes -.- (air runes are such a rare drop)

everything works out in the end, the only things i really cant do that i wish i could is cannoning, as making cannonballs is only worth it for DKs + solo corp

but yea, no way is diy'er inefficient, if you enjoy what youre doing, and try to plan things out a little bit :)

i could get 99 fm/fletch with level 80 wc.

if you go out of your way to spend days to make/alch 1k yew longs, yes, that is very inefficient, but not even a diy'er would consider doing that on a regular basis

but yea, ive got 99 herb banked, and 93 farm banked and im pretty sure i was pretty inefficient at gathering that xp as if i was smart id have 99 farm banked by now

only problem with that is coconuts for magic tree farmer payments...im definitly going to have to go out of my way to harvest enough of these for even 20 magic trees

Itam.gif

A friend and I did some talking, and we both decided to try full out DIY for a while - we both sold off all of our stuff, apart from things we have some sort of sentimental attachment to (my first whip/d boots, the rune cbow I made for the ardy elite diary, etc), which we 'banished' to a tab to be used only once we get it as a drop/get the materials to make again (at which point we sell off the materials and store the money away somehow (impossible to fulfill ge offers or shard packs is what we thought of). He had to log off shortly after selling off all of his stuff, but I kept going for a while.

My progress so far was to... get free sample tools from Lumbridge, mine some adamant and coal to make an addy pickaxe and hatchet, kill some bears, mine some clay and pick potatoes to make stew, use some spices to make spicy stew, and boost up to mine some rune to make a rune hatchet and pickaxe. This is probably the slowest thing I've ever done, but holy crap, it was satisfying.

Using my new pickaxe to mine some pure essence right now, although I should grab my free dailies from Cromperty while I remember... gonna get some cash to work with by either mining gems/gold, making and alching jewelery, or mining, smithing and alching adamant platebodies. Then... I'm not sure. Maybe using my daily bstaves to craft into whichever elemental staff alchs the highest, and go with that to increase my cashpile.

I never, ever expected it to be this... I'm not sure, complex? To start with. But like I said, it's really satisfying so far. Won't deny I was a bit frustrated at having to kill bears for meat, though :P

Link_Olaran.png

DIY'ing is the equivilent of working $8/hr your whole life : AKA playing RS longer due to a sentimental goal.

Being efficient is the equivilent of working $45 an hour, with many vacations when you choose : AKA quitting rs time to time.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

DIY'ing is the equivilent of working $8/hr your whole life : AKA playing RS longer due to a sentimental goal.

Being efficient is the equivilent of working $45 an hour, with many vacations when you choose : AKA quitting rs time to time.

You never know. The guy making $8 might have won the lottery or gotten a big fat inheritance. Therefore is only working because he enjoys the work.

While the guy making $45 goes on a vacation every other week because if he works another day he'll snap and kill someone.

I like DIY but i just hate the time it takes up. My goal right now is to get a full costume room and getting all the items from clue scrolls would take years, not including the time to actually get clues. The only thing i've been DIY latly has been mineing and making gold braces from scratch, but i've been selling them on the GE so not sure if that counts, and getting my own frost dragon bones for prayer. Maby i'll try making a DIY account one day just to see how it is. Don't think i'll be able to do it for long though.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I utilize ticks to bury bones from everything I kill, and I DIY other ways.

When I need food I fish - I then either sell all the fish for better fish, or I cook swordies and tuna and make tuna potatoes.

When I mine, I bank all my gold in LRC for smithing. I use all my gold to craft things. I alch what I craft for magic exp.

I farm and MTK for herblore...

That kind of stuff. I'm not so extreme that I hunt for a drop like D Chain and refuse to buy it...and I sell a lot of my pots and drops for cash to get better armor. But a lot of DIY.

All skills - 35+.

All skills not named "Dungeoneering" - 50+

Come on ToG and Resource Dungeon exp!

I partially play DIY - to the extent that I have made quite a lot of my own cannonballs when I seem to have the correct ores in my bank.

- seems the best DIYers use of iron ore to me and throne of misc gives me all the coal I need.

It's not super efficient, but it feels like I'm experiencing more aspects the game than skipping stuff by buying it. I know this is going to make no sense to some people, but coming from the pre-GE generation, using the GE too much feels like I'm missing out on parts of the experience of Runescape.

And while inefficient, in a lot of cases it's not quite THAT inefficient as it first seems, you're often getting xp in additional skills and saving the costs of buying the items. - Time does equal money after all. (even if the time to money exhcange rate in Runescape values time very highly)

I'm not pure DIY.

I will buy items which are dropped by the big boss monsters that I can't kill, and I've sometimes used the GE if a quest or achievement diary asks for for one off complicated to make items. I will sell items on the GE that I can't see much DIY use in keeping.

A pure DIYer does sound tempting to try and make.

And no you don't miss out on efficiency calculations by playing DIY - they're just different calculations, and you're more likely to have work them out for yourself rather than copy what everyone else is doing.

Some of the comments I see here along the lines of "cutting all your magic logs to get 99 fletching and firemaking sounds insanely laborius" (paraphrasing a bit here)

shows how much some people only think of the popular method.

Cutting magic logs for DIY would be insanely laborius - but that's certaily not how I'd DIY any skill.

i lol'd a bit. you obviously think of rs as work and not a game

Itam.gif

I'm the friend that Link is DIYing with. It's pretty fun actually, though I almost gave up while cutting Magic Logs to use burn my shades I got from Temple Trekking for Pure Essence. My main issue is trying to find out how I'm going to train construction.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

I'm the friend that Link is DIYing with. It's pretty fun actually, though I almost gave up while cutting Magic Logs to use burn my shades I got from Temple Trekking for Pure Essence. My main issue is trying to find out how I'm going to train construction.

juju woodcutting potions + pack yaks -> teak logs -> butler cut them for you

or you could just chop your own oak logs i suppose.

i guess this means SC will be extra important for you :D

or does that not constitute DIY :P

Naaxi.png

DIY is an interesting concept. I like the idea and I look up to those who play the game in this manner. You can feel a lot prouder if you DIY yourself high levels in for example prayer, smithing and farming. This since it is much harder to train the skills when you have to get all the raw materials yourself. This is also why I look up to those who play the game in this way.

Myself, however I don't have the patience required to play the game this way. For me, money is there for a reason :P.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

juju woodcutting potions + pack yaks -> teak logs -> butler cut them for you

or you could just chop your own oak logs i suppose.

i guess this means SC will be extra important for you :D

or does that not constitute DIY :P

I'm going to SC my ass off for Fletching and Construction. It seems unavoidable that I will reach 99 woodcutting without even trying as it will be the source of Firemaking, Construction, and Fletching.

The problem is being able to afford having the butler cut them for me. My current plan is to woodcut Mahogany and use the Plank-make spell. That's still 1k per log though, and I'm not sure where I'm going to get that kind of money as DIY.

Thankfully while woodcutting all that mahogany I should have enough Special Logs to cut about a third of it for free.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

Not sure if this part of the DIY discussion has been touched upon in the precvious pages (I saw something similar on page 1...) but I have been walking around with this idea in my head for some time:

What if jagex allowed for special, dedicated DIY accounts? As in: you can start up an actual DIY account, which can't trade with players or via GE at all (this is the main point). The player's name would have a different colour to distinguish it from normal accounts.

Now imagine seeing a dedicated ('official', if jagex made it that way) DIY account, wearing GWD items, or even third age. That would be impressive.

The only problem I see is how to solve multi boss hunting. Because if you mass corp and you get sigil, it is hardly DIY.

Any thoughts on this?

PS: Personally I would make a DIY account in an instant.

PPS: I also think a lot of people would be interested in such an account.

"He
really
calls himself Noobz?"

Sheep.gif

[hide=STATS]Noobz.png[/hide]

I am a DIYer, always getting comments on why i play so inefficiënt when i ask for help:p though i would buy a whip before getting 85 slayer, because what would I have to spend my money on? I don't buy skills. And i use MTK for herbs and maples and flax (maples and flax for fletching).

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Mo money, mo betta.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Mo money, mo betta.

alright but explain me this young grasshopper

ive been diy';er since i made my account, ~5years ago

i average 30k+ xp an hour (just like you)

have 1bil + bank

now who's better off? me, with pretty much everyhting i could ever need banked, or someone whos busting their ass off trying to get enough cash for turmoil/overloads/claws, etc??? :)

of course ill never get to experience having a 30bil + cash pile or multiple rare items, but thats just for bragging rights anyways, and i could care less about rares.

on top of all that , i get the ultimate goal of soloing a divine + ely sigil :)

@guy wcing mage logs for p ess, just slay, you get 2k-4k p ess per strykeworm task, and mass teak logs from jungle strykes

get wc rocks via teak weekly x 30 weeks, thatll be more than enough to last you your cash pile and then some, especially if you're using MTK + summon shards, you're gonna definitly go through cash more than you get it.

but you should be more worried about cash, than logs, for construction

Itam.gif

Mo money, mo betta.

have 1bil + bank

now who's better off? me, with pretty much everyhting i could ever need banked, or someone whos busting their ass off trying to get enough cash for turmoil/overloads/claws, etc??? :)

of course ill never get to experience having a 30bil + cash pile or multiple rare items, but thats just for bragging rights anyways, and i could care less about rares.

@guy wcing mage logs for p ess, just slay, you get 2k-4k p ess per strykeworm task, and mass teak logs from jungle strykes

get wc rocks via teak weekly x 30 weeks, thatll be more than enough to last you your cash pile and then some, especially if you're using MTK + summon shards, you're gonna definitly go through cash more than you get it.

Since when have I been struggling for turmoil? I got 99 prayer 3.5 years ago.

I haven't been member since, and 99 herb will quickly be "achieved" in 4-5 days.

My bank is worth more than yours.

I have quit for 2.5 years, thus "playing" less than you.

I prefer efficiency over aesthetics, and you say phats and rares are for aesthetics, which juxtaposes your counter-argument...

What are you trying to say?

Amitoz.png

Mo money, mo betta.

have 1bil + bank

Since when have I been struggling for turmoil? I got 99 prayer 3.5 years ago.

I haven't been member since, and 99 herb will quickly be "achieved" in 4-5 days.

My bank is worth more than yours.

I have quit for 2.5 years, thus "playing" less than you.

I prefer efficiency over aesthetics, and you say phats and rares are for aesthetics, which juxtaposes your counter-argument...

What are you trying to say?

whats your xp per hour average out to be?

and with those stats/xp your bank isnt worth much more ;p

and in the 5 years my accounts been around, ive taken quite a few breaks also thus youre assuming too much

Itam.gif