The effects of piracy on artists

Omar

Please, spare me your damn excuses.

Theft is theft, we're not talking about stealing bread here.

If what you're doing is so ethically not bad, go into HMV, stuff a CD under your coat, and when the magnetic beeper goes off on your way out you can tell the store owner about how the industry's wealth distribution is so unfair that it makes you the victim, so you had to steal it.

See if he or the law gives two.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what you're doing is so ethically not bad, go into HMV, stuff a CD under your coat, and when the magnetic beeper goes off on your way out you can tell the store owner about how the industry's wealth distribution is so unfair that it makes you the victim, so you had to steal it.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that piracy ≠ theft? If you steal a CD, the shopkeeper loses it. If you pirate it, whoever you got it from still has it.

Besides, no matter whether piracy is right or wrong, no one can deny the fact that it's here to stay. Record companies cannot stop it anymore, they can just accept it and adapt to it.

There is a pretty big difference with potential vs actual loss, but it is essentially a very similar crime. I'm sure someone else will argue it.

I just like getting my [cabbage] for free, tbh. If I could buy music at like 10% of it's current price then sure, I'd pay for it. Honestly though, until someone does something about it, I don't see a reason not to download it. It's not like I'd buy it if downloading wasn't available. Before I knew how to download I just used YouTube.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Why is it so hard for people to understand that piracy ≠ theft? If you steal a CD, the shopkeeper loses it. If you pirate it, whoever you got it from still has it.

I have tried to explain that countless times to people, but they never really understand it.

Why can't there be a library system? Pay a fee and then all the music you want. $1 a song is way too much.

That's actually a good idea. Problem would be, if one popular band or artist doesn't want to become part of it (Or, an entire label, too) a lot of people could be turned off of it. And it could be hard to pay artists that way. How much from each membership would go to each artist?

Because the music industry is and always has been a racket. They control almost all mainstream radio (Clear Channel Communications), playing the same songs over and over again, generating a false sense of "popular" music. They back this up by selling these "popular" albums in stores for an extremely high price. As long as they can squeeeeeeze just a little bit more money out of the situation, why wouldn't they?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Why can't there be a library system? Pay a fee and then all the music you want. $1 a song is way too much.

Spotify is like that, but it's not available everywhere yet if ever. 5 / month and you can listen as much as you want. It has a lot of songs (over 10 million), but it still lacks a lot of my favorites. Too bad, otherwise I could pay for it.

Frankly,

I don't care whether or not the artist gets money or whether the label gets a money, I don't have much respect for musicians and couldn't care less if they get a decrease in the ridiculous salary they already get (around $200,000 per show). I couldn't possibilly comprehend how a music artist could want more money.

Besides, 79p a song isn't reasonable! I mean I will only listen to it once.

Piracy isn't theft, only an idiot could think that.

qTLQRuS.png

I think Napster does that now, and there's a system called Rhapsody that I know does as well. Hell, there are online radio services that you can pay for and get that kind of thing.

Frankly,

I don't care whether or not the artist gets money or whether the label gets a money, I don't have much respect for musicians and couldn't care less if they get a decrease in the ridiculous salary they already get (around $200,000 per show). I couldn't possibilly comprehend how a music artist could want more money.

You just described mainstream artists. What do you think about indie bands, which certainly don't get $200,000 a show?

Frankly,

You just described mainstream artists. What do you think about indie bands, which certainly don't get $200,000 a show?

And very few mainstream artists at that. Even if they do make 200 grand a show, there is NO way they keep all of that. No way.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Frankly,

I have even less respect for them. They should get a side-job, being an artist doesn't consume all of your time!

qTLQRuS.png

@Resistance: You only listen to a song once? Wow! Frankly, I'm impressed.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_gZZHu4TBk

I don't really think piracy is as big a deal as the industry makes it out to be. I pirate music, but it's not like I was going to pay for the album anyway.

Exactly, I download music sometimes, but I don't even own an mp3 player or ipod of any kind. If there was no downloading music, I'd do what I did before: not buy music and only listen to it in the car/on the computer sometimes

yes.png

Piracy isn't theft. Theft is taking the original copy without consent. Piracy is taking a copy of the original and leaving the original still intact. Physically taking a CD from a store without paying for it is theft because you're removing an actual item from the store, so nobody gets it. That is a bad analogy and doesn't really fit.

I have even less respect for them. They should get a side-job, being an artist doesn't consume all of your time!

Do you realize how much knowledge is required to make innovative music? When you consider the earnings of some other professions out there, it doesn't make sense to not pay artists.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

I'm not an artist but if I was its not a job that I would expect or deserve to make a lot of money with, its basically a glorified busker.

Doctor gets payed less then an artist, logic problem?

No, because there are lots of doctors but few artists. Pig iron is stronger than gold but gold is worth more because there isn't as much of it.

Plus, an artist is really no different from any other entertainer... Though for musicians to get any good it takes a ridiculous amount of practice and the jobs themselves come infrequently, apparently.

Doctor gets payed less then an artist, logic problem?

If that was true then why would they need a side job? The logic problem is on your side... Indie artists make very little money if they're lucky, otherwise they often operate at a loss.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

OK, so either that was a troll or he's extremely unreasonable and we should get back to the debate at hand...