Tip.It Times - 6th February 2011

Racheya

@AllahisGreat: The past month? I've published ONE article before this one and it was about the decline of the community and the causes of said decline... And before that it was TWO MONTHS of fictional stuff... I'm not entirely sure if you're willing to put all of the articles in the Times on my credit, but if you are, I'll accept the compliment...

However; if you're willing to debunk everything I have said, feel free to submit a guest article?

@Sprite: I gave TWO arguments what Free Trade was good for... I specifically stated I could not think of ANYTHING else that couldn't also have been achieved with a few tweaks to the previous system...

But your own arguments, one of which is increased player interaction, doesn't hold any water either, cuz almost everyone is using the GE nowadays (except for the high-end merchables I mentioned in my article already)... Oh and I DID mention runners too ;)

@3r: Love the sarcasm :D But I do feel you missed the poitn of my article...

@saywuuuuuuuuuuuuuut: You're 100% right... I merely tried to gauge how many people are still happy with their decision, seeing what we know today...

@Kat: Glad to see some people still take the time to formulate a reply eloquently... Well said...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Stormrage hit it spot-on, I voted no because I don't buy that anything good will come of this. To be honest, I haven't logged in since before the update, but I can't imagine it's all that great. There is one good reason for free trade returning though, and that's no trade limits. TET can now give out cash rewards and hopefully up our attendance a bit, plus we can have drop parties that are legit. Besides that there's nothing good though, and I am still super against this.

Into the Wild doesn't have much to do with me as I don't PK but it was a great perspective on the issue. :thumbup:

I thought Forsaken's fictional was pretty interesting, hopefully he'll do another.. I think the Chaos Elemental would be spectacular.

I feel that Free Trade makes the game much more interesting. Only reason I came back was because of some recent updates, this one being the cherry on the cake. I enjoyed reading the articles and look forward to the next one.

Thanks,

Quenya

@AllahisGreat: The past month? I've published ONE article before this one and it was about the decline of the community and the causes of said decline... And before that it was TWO MONTHS of fictional stuff... I'm not entirely sure if you're willing to put all of the articles in the Times on my credit, but if you are, I'll accept the compliment...

However; if you're willing to debunk everything I have said, feel free to submit a guest article?

Sorry, I meant Racheya and you. 2 articles each, pointing out what a bad idea the whole freetrade thing is. Ranting about Jagex "lying", ranting about the economy, ranting about scammers, etc. 4 articles about pretty much the same thing is too much, one or two and I'd think it's an article from a different point of view, and I can absorb what is said and understand from where some people are coming from. But 4 articles just screams whining about this whole thing. :thumbdown:

Staurolite.png

In response to Ts_Stormrage's article:

YES!!!! I am happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy joy about Free Trade and Wilderness being back.

Know why? It is the original way the game was and should be played. You said it yourself: that we could cope with the GE and be without free trade (paraphrase). I dont know about anyone else here but I dont like to play only to cope with something. I want to enjoy my freedom, and I am.

Ive never botted or cheated in any way and was not affected by the adverse effects that occurred following the change back to free trade. It is unfortunate for those people who lost items and gold, but they should not cheat. Free Trade and Wilderness is not only a good thing in terms of returning Runescape to what it once was as a game, but they are good because they place responsibility on the player to make decisions as well as play fair and safe.

The loss of items by a botting system should be a warning to those who think about using RWT and bots in the new Free Trade era. Also, if Jagex says they have the ability to fight the RWTers and bots, then I believe them. Not out of sheer love of Jagex, but because as a developer and provider of the game I play, I should not question such an ability when I do not know the full extent that botting has reached in RS.

I understand it is a problem, but if Jagex can keep it to a minimum, THAT is something I can COPE with.

wessan.png

@Allah: My article last month was not about ranting against the coming of Free Trade, but more using it as an argument to explain why the community was in decline...

Changes to the game that have such a huge impact can merit a response from each and every one of our (very diverse) writing staff... We often have different opinions, and yet sometimes we don't... In this case it happens to be because we all understand what the effects of these changes might mean... You're welcome to skip any articles that you may think are ranting about all the bad stuff that's happening...

I for one tend to mix my articles up a bit (I do my annual economic thing at Haloween), but more often then not you're going to want to write about what has happened recently, or what will happen in the near future...

For example: I've written my articles about botting and/or account sharing in the past, and they were well liked by most people... I do not feel the need to write yet another article about it again, because I said what I needed to say and it is not my job to make people listen, understand and eventually change their opinion... I write purely because I like to do it, because people like to read it, and because I (apparently) have soemthing to say... Should I still make someone wiser with my articles than thats just bonus points...

My next article's subject I have not yet determined, but seeing as we've had plenty of good writers with our latest recruitment drive I'll not need to write it for another month or so... The downside of all the new writers is that all the good topics might already be taken...

Bottomline stands though... If a subject is big and important enough, like these recent changes, you're bound to see it pop up more than once in the Tip.it Times... Jagex dragged the whole 'vote'-thing out for over three weeks, so perhaps the cause of repeated article subjects is not entirely ours?

@Wessan: While you make some very good points, I think the key argument here is your last line:

I understand it is a problem, but if Jagex can keep it to a minimum, THAT is something I can COPE with.

So far Jagex have pretty much proven that they can't... I agree that we should give them a chance (again), but given their trackrecord and admission that these things will always be a problem, I'm not expecting much...

When Botting and RWT and attempts at Scamming and Phishing and Begging are back to levels from before the implementation of Free Trade (knowing it was still a major problem), I'll publicly eat my words...

But untill then I rather wait and see... And remain convinced that they should first have tried to get rid of these problems before bringing these changes about...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Yes I'm happy, extremely, because I'm not an idiot and I take all necessary precautions in securing my account. I mean hey, better to have your Runescape account phished instead of your real-life bank account, right? Consider it a learning experience kiddos.

That aside, it's the first week of it returning, what the hell do you expect? As time goes on, and as people are educated properly on street-scams, street-lures and the rest, we'll see less and less of the negatives of free-trade.

Ts referred to me as a rising star <3:

I had considered writing an intro to mine since it was my first article, but I figured I'd let people form their opinion off my writing style instead of the intro. Glad to see at least a couple people liked it, I had a lot of fun writing it. :grin:

7 years 'scape knowledge and counting

m8pu02.png

99 Attack - June 8th 2010 99 Defence - August 2nd 2011 99 HP - December 2nd 2011

Never said it was entirely your fault, and I have no problem with multiple articles on this topic. But, when those articles are coming from the same people week after week, and offer no new information, just "Jagex is incompetent", "we shouldn't be content with voting 'yes'", "scammers, luring will return", etc. It gets pretty tiresome and boring. That's why I said Evaluate's accompanying article I enjoyed.

Staurolite.png

The new-old (updates, rewinds) is the reason i have come back to RS. I left 3-4 yrs ago due to various reasons, but one of the main ones was how Sterile GE made the trading. Having to type, having to log in and out of world, having to deal with the lag in w2, all part of the game i had become a part of back then. Now Jagex cannot please all the people all the time, but in amidst the "Scammers" (Who have always been there), Bots, etc etc there is and will be some good things to come out of it I personally... Personally thinks...

I am optimistic about it all, to have a balance of w2 trading in the park again and if you wish use the GE. Then wildy being reinstated adds to the danger aspect of the game, personally reasons for me to come back. Time will tell i suppose, I am having to start all over again, but enjoying it... and thats what gaming is all about, enjoying, keep it simple yanooo... Yeah i rage quit in the past, but came back when chilled, got on with it again. Am glad to be back, glad that there are places like here on the net that offer so much for free to the players of the game.

Now to hope some of my old friends still play, or may come back too for the lulz !!

am i happy now? not sure at the moment, i don't like it how free trade has messed up the G.E. nothing buys or sells! but i do like how in the past week i've made about 1mil from people giving me money! don't you just love really rish people! :mrgreen:

f9de1fd6d5.png

archsupportei2.png

About Into the wild article.

I really enjoyed this article and pretty much agree with it fully. With the return of the wilderness RS once again has the option to PK like the way it's meant to be done(in my opinion at least). I enjoy many aspects of RS - skilling, questing and PKing(mostly with my clan, but still). Before the reintroduction of wilderness I could only do 2 of these properly.

The option to do so many things and not being forced into just one of the styles of playing RS, is what makes RS a great game for me at least. Skilling and questing haven't been compromised like the way PKing was. Like Wessan wrote, I don't like playing this game to cope with it, but to enjoy and play it the way I like to.

About Trade off article.

I don't agree with this topic at all. For me the freedom to do things in RS is more important that the fact that I have to be a little more alert when trading so that I don't get scammed, or the fact that I can get cleaned at w22 dule arena staking my bank. If I enter the duel arena and decide to stake lets say 50m, I'm quite well aware of the fact that there's a chance I might lose the stake and that's the beauty of it.

One great thing that came along with free trade is that I don't have that feeing of Jagex looking after each and every player and making sure that none of them makes stupid mistakes and ends up scammed/cleaned by staking/dying at wilderness for something they're not willing to lose. Although this is just a game, a bit of responsibility is still needed and that's just a good thing in my opinion.

Reiskade.png

~Council of Northern Gods~

Thats cruel! :o And funny too :)

How did they respond?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Seeing as how this is my first response to an issue of Tip It times. I noticed that there was an omission for one of the positive reasons that bringing back Free Trade. We probably all have a few fellow players we'd like to consider online friends and as such on special holidays such as Xmas and B-days we would like to get them a gift. When they removed the ability to get them anything worth while then that hampered the enjoyability of the game. It made me feel really good to get a "friend" something they wanted. I know most of u consider this a minor bonus, but my online friends was the primary reason I enjoyed the game soo much. Nothing made me happier to see the joy I gave a friend when they got their gift.

Both articles are good, and I'm glad you (Stormrage) took the time to honestly voice your opinion.

However, even though these problems you mentioned do exist, they don't really affect me in any way, so there aren't that much negatives with free trade.

Scammers and lurers? I'm actually not a complete idiot, so I don't fall for these scams.

Bank wipes? Those people botted, they got what they deserved.

Staking entire banks only losing to a glitch? Sure the glitch part is unreasonable, but who in their right mind would stake their whole bank anyway?

I for one am happy free trade and old wilderness came back. I wasn't here pre-wildy so I'm not able to experience these before.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Well I voted no... and i tried to convince every person i talked too to do the same. So what if 91% of "players" voted in favour of the return of free trade and the wilderness.... If your government held a vote to remove speed limits, or drug restrictions for that matter... i bet 91% of people would vote in favour of it... but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, Mainly because 91% of people who play can't see the consequences past getting some free stuff, What happens in 6 months when Rwt and botters flood our economy just like before? what happens when the gold farming sites use stolen credit cards just like before? what happens when JaGex is faced with all the same problems as before? will they go back on the descision they already went back on once? JaGex is supposed to be our pseudo-government so shouldn't they make descisions which are best for everybody, even if 91% of everybody doesn't think it is? But what do i know eh? i can barely type a paragraph

Sorry, I meant Racheya and you. 2 articles each, pointing out what a bad idea the whole freetrade thing is. Ranting about Jagex "lying", ranting about the economy, ranting about scammers, etc. 4 articles about pretty much the same thing is too much, one or two and I'd think it's an article from a different point of view, and I can absorb what is said and understand from where some people are coming from. But 4 articles just screams whining about this whole thing. :thumbdown:

Never said it was entirely your fault, and I have no problem with multiple articles on this topic. But, when those articles are coming from the same people week after week, and offer no new information, just "Jagex is incompetent", "we shouldn't be content with voting 'yes'", "scammers, luring will return", etc. It gets pretty tiresome and boring. That's why I said Evaluate's accompanying article I enjoyed.

I can understand where you're coming from! I've been lucky enough to have weeks landing on first the initial announcement, then the confirmation two weeks later. I've tried to stay fairly in the middle of the issue. My first article tackled what a shambles the '"referendum" aka failed poll' really was in trying to be fair. Then my second article tackled how strange it was that they could promise it in 2 weeks and what might happen if they screwed things up. I've tried hard, and I hope that people can appreciate this given my past... ruthlessness in some issues, to stay somewhere near the middle.

I personally voted "no" because I was happy with how things were, I didn't fancy being put off by the Wildy and I didn't fancy having the GE be messed up for a while, it wasn't a hatred of the "yes" or a particular aversion to the updates, just a feeling of "What's wrong now?". I don't have any of the issues that people had with Free Trade or PKing. But... I'm finding the updates to work fairly well for me, the GE is starting to stabilise (thank God) and life goes on...

As for what articles we'll be talking about from now on, I can't say. I think that we've exhausted Wildy/Free Trade for a while but, come on, the first week of the Times after their return HAS to focus solely on the updates. We'd be out of touch with the community if we didn't ;)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Abusus non tollit usum

Translation: Abuse is no argument against proper use, legal phrase meaning that just because something can be abused there is no reason for putting an end to its legitimate use

So whats your argument again in the first article?

Actually, it IS an argument if you KNOW that that abuse is going to increase... QED: Gun-related crime per capita in the US is way higher than in the UK (27 times), and knowing this is (according to you) no argument against allowing people to purchase, own and carry guns...

Every sane person knew that RWT and Botting and Scamming and all the other bad stuff would vastly increase the second Free Trade would return... Even Jagex knew it...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Are you happy now?

:thumbup:

This is the exact same question I ask every person I know who voted in favour of Free Trade and the Wildy, and has been subsequently scammed or PK'd as a result.

:rolleyes:

Thats cruel! :o And funny too :)

How did they respond?

So far? None of them seem very happy about it any more ... :lol:

Yes, I know it's cruel and heartless -- but hey -- the reason why I was originally, and remain, in favour of the controlled trade method over free trade, was because controlled trade reduced the whining, crying and complaining about scamming and begging to a minimum.

"You cannot 'cheat' an honest man ..."

nyuseg.png

Abusus non tollit usum

Translation: Abuse is no argument against proper use, legal phrase meaning that just because something can be abused there is no reason for putting an end to its legitimate use

So whats your argument again in the first article?

Actually, it IS an argument if you KNOW that that abuse is going to increase... QED: Gun-related crime per capita in the US is way higher than in the UK (27 times), and knowing this is (according to you) no argument against allowing people to purchase, own and carry guns...

first off, no it''s not an argument. secondly, that's not what QED means lol. thirdly, you are correct, that is no argument against allowing people to purchase, own, and carry guns. fourthly, correlation does not prove causation. and finally, there has been no study that has ever proven that higher gun ownership rates CAUSES higher (or lower) crime rates.

Personally, I find it particularly funny that a fair number of people wanted free trade because they thought it'd make them wealthier, and are now ticked off about free trade because it hasn't increased their wealth at all. :lol:

nyuseg.png

Yes, I know it's cruel and heartless -- but hey -- the reason why I was originally, and remain, in favour of the controlled trade method over free trade, was because controlled trade reduced the whining, crying and complaining about scamming and begging to a minimum.

Hello there.

You're in a game primarily aimed at children and thus populated by said children who are learning what it means to grow up. It should be understood there'd be plenty of whining. Just let it go. A vital social element has been returned to the game, and Runescape now feels like a MMO once again instead of a boring single-player grind. Most players I encounter are delighted by free trade.

Better for these kids to learn the hard way about scams in a game than being sucked into a ponzi scheme in reality. Better to learn about how people are truly like with their polite masks taken off in a game, than losing your job over some vile gossip circulating in the workplace.

Now, what I find amusing are that some supposed adults get taken in by scams thought of by children. When are you lot going to learn to restrain your greed? Hah!

My own attitude toward people in the game has softened. I've witnessed so many kind and generous acts that it's almost restored my faith in the community. Well, my area of the community, at least. Sure, a good amount of the gift giving is just people wanting to feel good about themselves by helping others, but hey, that's alright. They're sharing their happiness.

As for the riffraff luring, scamming, and general mischief adored by children everywhere, they'll get what's coming to them soon enough. They're not worth the time even paying attention to them. After all, look what's happened to the free botters.

And kindly lay off the horse that is American gun control. It's been beaten to death in countless forums.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Hello there.

You're in a game primarily aimed at children and thus populated by said children who are learning what it means to grow up. It should be understood there'd be plenty of whining. Just let it go. A vital social element has been returned to the game, and Runescape now feels like a MMO once again instead of a boring single-player grind. Most players I encounter are delighted by free trade.

Better for these kids to learn the hard way about scams in a game than being sucked into a ponzi scheme in reality. Better to learn about how people are truly like with their polite masks taken off in a game, than losing your job over some vile gossip circulating in the workplace.

Now, what I find amusing are that some supposed adults get taken in by scams thought of by children. When are you lot going to learn to restrain your greed? Hah!

My own attitude toward people in the game has softened. I've witnessed so many kind and generous acts that it's almost restored my faith in the community. Well, my area of the community, at least. Sure, a good amount of the gift giving is just people wanting to feel good about themselves by helping others, but hey, that's alright. They're sharing their happiness.

As for the riffraff luring, scamming, and general mischief adored by children everywhere, they'll get what's coming to them soon enough. They're not worth the time even paying attention to them. After all, look what's happened to the free botters.

And kindly lay off the horse that is American gun control. It's been beaten to death in countless forums.

1. I never said ANYTHING about gun control. :P

2. Yes, it's wonderful to see those acts of generosity -- especially from a game which you purport is supposed to teach our children "real life lessons". I bet those kids accepting free items today will likewise learn valuable lessons about avoiding accepting free items from Bad'touchie the Clown ... :rolleyes:

:lol:

nyuseg.png