Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thank you, your abuse report has been received.

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Blyaunte

I knew it would happen, but in order to make Runescape a more sellable commodity, Jagex claimed that 91% wanted it back, so I'll just live with the consequences.

Fixed it.
:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Crossed_Body
[ Display Name History ]

Crossed_Body

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,245 posts
  • RSN:Crossed Body

It takes time to teach this to people.

Nah. It only takes 1 trade to teach it to people. And then they won't fall for it again.

Some guys seriously think we're stupid. Putting and removing the money in a trade? Seriously? NOBODY falls for that.
Posted Image

Carl
[ Display Name History ]

Carl

I <3 N_odie!

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • RSN:Carl
  • RSN2:Newb

Suddenly I'm seeing that way too often, especially with scammers. I'm not actually sure if free trade was worth it anymore. I think the Grand Exchange without limits is good enough. I don't want to stand by and see people get scammed, but at the same time I could be doing other things.

Anyone else feel the same?

Surprised that scamming, luring, and general douchebaggery become extremely common with free trade? I'm not. I knew this would happen as soon as Jagex announced the poll. Nobody believed me...

Nobody believed you with something that's so obvious? Doubtful. It's not a big price to pray to see these return. We've gone from one extreme to the other -- but this is one people are willing to accept. Prior to free trade we had "Merchant Clans"; people are moreso happy to see them go than the arrival of people scamming. Reasons being - one you can prevent, one you cannot. With all of the aids Jagex have given us it's amazing to still see people getting scammed. It was something much more obvious back in '06/'07 (And previous years) when there wasn't big red flashing exclamation marks indicating to you that the trade's been changed or when you needed to have a general knowledge of the price of an item. Now we've got those warnings; two trade screens and a "Guideline price"... I can't believe people can still fall victim to such simple methods of scamming. Educate yourself, adapt...Don't expect things to adapt around you.

I'm fine with what we have, I welcome its return with open arms and a grin on my face, because I know from this things can only get better. People wouldn't be scamming if others weren't so gullible. The gullible just need to be educated more. Jagex have provided us with many guides on how to do things - here at Tip.It we have guides also. They need to open their eyes.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx

Suddenly I'm seeing that way too often, especially with scammers. I'm not actually sure if free trade was worth it anymore. I think the Grand Exchange without limits is good enough. I don't want to stand by and see people get scammed, but at the same time I could be doing other things.

Surprised that scamming, luring, and general douchebaggery become extremely common with free trade? I'm not. I knew this would happen as soon as Jagex announced the poll. Nobody believed me...

What's bad here? If you are stupid enough to get lured, you will. If you are stupid enough to get scammed, you will. In real life, actions have consequences, so it's a great way for the players to learn from their mistakes in game. I at least think that all this is great for the game. Botters were around with no free trade, too, so that's nothing new.

I knew it would happen, but in order to make Runescape a more sellable commodity, Jagex claimed that 91% wanted it back, so I'll just live with the consequences.

Fixed it.

Oh that's just horrible sportsmanship. Newsflash: YOU LOST, get over it.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

What's bad here? If you are stupid enough to get lured, you will. If you are stupid enough to get scammed, you will. In real life, actions have consequences, so it's a great way for the players to learn from their mistakes in game. I at least think that all this is great for the game. Botters were around with no free trade, too, so that's nothing new.

Look at this we got ourselves a genuine free trade hero.
I bet he is willing to teach your 12 year old kid the "hard lessons" of life.
That everybody lies, steals, and cheats to get by.
I am sure that modern societies need video game communities which embrace and promote sociopathic behavior.
As if prisons weren't full enough... :rolleyes:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Chrystophilax
[ Display Name History ]

Chrystophilax

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 9 posts
Everyone has to pay their Dumb Tax at some point. Better to pay in gp than $$s.

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Fixed it.

Yeppers -- the massive overwhelming majority of 9.1% has spoken! Woot!!!! :thumbsup:

nyuseg.png

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx

Fixed it.

Yeppers -- the massive overwhelming majority of 9.1% has spoken! Woot!!!! :thumbsup:

So even the tip.it community was wrong when more twice as many people voted for free trade and wilderness than those that voted against? What exactly are you pitching here? Do you have any absolute proof that jagex faked the poll, or, moreover, that more than 50% of players didn't want free trade and wilderness? People wanted free trade, they got it, and are enjoying it. There are loads of people, including me, who have come back to the game for the sole reason of the update, so that's another thing to consider while you are whining that you got yourself scammed/lured(it takes two to tango).

Glovnvellius, yes, i do think people learning their lessons on a game is preferable to lessons learned in real like, as the affect should be the same, but most or all of the damage can be avoided. I'm not here to teach those lessons, as i frankly don't care at all about strangers, but i do think it can have a very positive effect on those players. Oh, and did you drop your soap while the showering? sure looks that way.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

buffrichie
[ Display Name History ]

buffrichie

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 498 posts
i voted no

Naraku893
[ Display Name History ]

Naraku893

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,074 posts
It is the idiot's fault for being scammed.

Blyaunte
[ Display Name History ]

Blyaunte

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,051 posts

Fixed it.

So even the tip.it community was wrong when more twice as many people voted for free trade and wilderness than those that voted against? What exactly are you pitching here? Do you have any absolute proof that jagex faked the poll, or, moreover, that more than 50% of players didn't want free trade and wilderness? People wanted free trade, they got it, and are enjoying it. There are loads of people, including me, who have come back to the game for the sole reason of the update, so that's another thing to consider while you are whining that you got yourself scammed/lured(it takes two to tango).

LOL -- you got me wrong kiddo. I'm not against free-trade. I'm against whining!

:thumbsup:

nyuseg.png

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

Fixed it.

I'm 91% sure you misinterpreted her post.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

JeremyM
[ Display Name History ]

JeremyM

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 959 posts

I'm pretty sure everyone knew it would happen...

Posted Image

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
It still baffles me how people get scammed. Ever.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

While i'm noticing more people attempting to scam now with the release of free trade, I make sure I pay more attention now than ever before, with each and every trade I make.

I wait atleast 3-5 seconds and make sure the trade is good before accepting the 2nd trade window. I have already come across someone who attempted to take away the money offer for one of my items. When that happens, I just wait until they cancel the trade because they tried to scam me AND waste my time.

Edit: I remember a similar topic like this on the rs forums. A player suggested bringing back the red line. The red line used to be a feature in trading where, if an item was taken away or changed, a red line would appear where the change occured, then slowly go away after a few seconds. It was REALLY helpful.

Wait. That's gone now? Why in the hell did they remove it!? I mean, it was a tad annoying if someone modified the trade, but still.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Guest_jrhairychest_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_jrhairychest_
  • Guests

It still baffles me how people get scammed. Ever.

Agreed. I tried scamming myself once, but ahah, I was just a little too quick and cottoned onto it. I reported myself. Won't fall for that again...............

I get sectioned this Thursday :thumbup:

Myweponsg00d
[ Display Name History ]

Myweponsg00d

The Pittsburgh Pirate

• Members
  • 2,741 posts
Yeah, and it also sucks when people get scammed IRL. So let's appoint government officials to monitor every trade that takes place between citizens. That, or we could all live inside a big plastic bubble where everyone is safe from all the dangerous stuff.

Sure, theres more scamming and abuse now, but if it is either that or a lack of freedom, I choose the scamming.
Posted Image
Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Fools_Taco
[ Display Name History ]

Fools_Taco

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 871 posts
  • RSN:Fools Taco
  • Clan:Skilling Guild.

Fair trade and the GE limits was a failed experiment.

Who cares if morons get scammed. Limitting what we can do ingame because some people are dumb is a silly move.

Dont look at it as people getting scammed... look at it as education for dumb people.

The rest of us having to put up with fair trade and all the crap that comes with it because a small number of people are to dumb to play runescape is not the way to go.

Its like buying an airplane to get free peanuts...

I can't see any relevance between your reasoning and conclusions you draw from it. Mind elaborating, and writing a lengthier post to describe exactly what you mean?

From what I have read, nothing in your little 'argument' really explains why 'Fair trade and the GE was a failed experiment', and why 'limiting what we can do ingame because of dumb players' is a silly move.

'The rest of us having to put up with fair trade and all the crap that comes with it because a small number of people are to dumb to play runescape is not the way to go.'

Why, why, and why?

Sorry i dident respond sooner... ill explain myself

There was a very small subsection of the runescape player base that actually bought gold for RL cash... jagex limiting EVERYONE to fair trade to combat a small subsection of the entire population is like buying a whole airline so you can get free in flight peanuts.

Its like shooting the patient to cure the disease. Or chopping off your arm because you always get hang nails.

Their original argument that they were getting in trouble from credit card companies is a total outright lie and was just fabricated to push the update down the players throat. You think runescape is THE ONLY MMO that has to deal with credit card fraud and RL gold sellers? It was a lie from the start. If you beveled it i have some coo-laid for you to drink and some swampland in Florida you can invest in. Also, you think the credit card problem all of the sudden vanished and they put back free trade and the wild? It dident vanish because it never existed.

The entire player base should not be punished because of some cheaters want to cheat.

Guess what, people were still buying gold when fair trade was implemented.

It was a failed experiment because they lost so many players because of the update. They took a shot at it and lost.

At least they could admit their mistake and correct it.

I dont even believe that last statement. I think they could not come up with a solution to merchant clans so they scrapped the whole thing. Merchant clans totally hijacked the market for an item AND scammed all the small people in the clan the leaders were using to buy out the item (after the leaders secretly stockpiled the item for months prior to getting their clan members to buy it). So they went from hurting the player base from limiting free trade to hurting the player base with merchant clans. They achieved nothing... we still got hurt AND they lost a boatload of paying accounts.

Also i bet they realized that with future updates the current GE mechanic would cause the players more pain... think how it was imposable to get herbs after the herb update. IF someone wants to pay 20k / herb they should be able to if they have the resources. with the way free trade and the GE worked that was not possible.

My original statement was true, the GE (as was implemented with a min and a max price) and fair trade / elimination of the wild was a failed experiment. They gained nothing and lost allot.

I saw the whole thing unfold and i knew what would happen. What i wouldnt have given to speak at the development meetings when they were discussing it.

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr
I was in the 9% that voted no. W/e, they did want to implement the wilderness back from the second they made the first announcement since the knew they would do it. Why else would they ask the players?

Star_Fox
[ Display Name History ]

Star_Fox

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,971 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I was in the 9% that voted no. W/e, they did want to implement the wilderness back from the second they made the first announcement since the knew they would do it. Why else would they ask the players?

I voted no too and a poor friend of mine who got hacked AND scammed post-free trade voted yes. I'm gonna be honest here,
I never once felt sorry for him and as a result, I just said "Too bad, you wanted this" and just took him off my list. This is
what happens when people don't expect to get such garbage like scamming, luring, hacking when free trade
was offered. Safety is a valuable thing. It's just sad people don't take it for granted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users