Jagex Limited receives growth investment from new investors

pal2002

Why do people think they're being so hard done by? I have very little to no problem with how Runescape is being run at the moment. I think people are trying too hard to hold on to the supposed "good ol'days". Let it go, things change. People weren't happy with things back then just as people aren't happy about things now.

On topic... I can't see how this is a bad thing. More money will allow Jagex to do sooo much more.

Ps: $32.9 Billion?? That's not right...

That's probably thier total income, not their profit lol; paying wages, maintaining servers, buying new hardware, and marketing probably whittled down that number a good amount.

And they can only do more with money as long as they are free to do so, power=/=freedom.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the natural progression of business, or rather, successful business. When a company grows large enough and still shows promise of continued growth, investors come in to the equation. More money means things get done faster. I'd be more worried if there weren't any investors by now.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

paying mages,

Those mages are always a greedy lot, they don't do a whole lot (the whole "Magic" thing is easy anyway, any one could do it) yet demand silly amount of money for it! Jagex should get rid of all their mages and just hire warlocks instead, sure they're slightly more underhand with their methods but they get the job done and just demand jewels and staves of unimaginable evil rather than just money.

paying mages,

Those mages are always a greedy lot, they don't do a whole lot (the whole "Magic" thing is easy anyway, any one could do it) yet demand silly amount of money for it! Jagex should get rid of all their mages and just hire warlocks instead, sure they're slightly more underhand with their methods but they get the job done and just demand jewels and staves of unimaginable evil rather than just money.

Tbh why pay them lots of money anyways? Just give them a lead bar and they're sorted with an alchemy spell.

Anyways I just wana see this INVESTED into RS not Stellar Dawn or given away every month in a $10,000 give away :wall: TBH I'd be tempted to give them back the $1000 if I won just to put some good updates into the game.... Though it'd come in useful for paying off Uni stuff <_<

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

A company was invested in. It happens all the time. Just gives Jagex more immediate funds to begin projects sooner, etc. Obviously if they have three games running and one in development, operating costs are going to be high. Honestly I'd believe this would (if anything) be used mainly on the development of Stellar Dawn.

All we can do is wait and see. I really don't see any major changes being done by the third party investors. I know that if I am working with people who are more knowledgable about something than I am, I would let them do the majority of the work. If they had any ideas they'd probably bring it up in a board meeting. They wouldn't immediately change anything.

j0xPu5R.png

Why do people think they're being so hard done by? I have very little to no problem with how Runescape is being run at the moment. I think people are trying too hard to hold on to the supposed "good ol'days". Let it go, things change. People weren't happy with things back then just as people aren't happy about things now.

On topic... I can't see how this is a bad thing. More money will allow Jagex to do sooo much more.

Ps: $32.9 Billion?? That's not right...

32,9 Million is correct.

581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]

233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]

822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]

576th to Fishing 99 [september 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]

83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]

23885th to Smithing 99 [september 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

32 billion? Off by a factor of 1000. Nice reading skills. I would call it a typo but you put in in all caps.

The move shows a sort of detachment to RuneScape, which could be good or bad depending on what they do.

2496 Completionist

I should have used a different title (too late to change it now). "Investing" is the way jagex's PR spin put the whole thing. Basically in financial terms, the Gowers had sold more of their share in the company (which was about 50% before and <50% now) to other people. Hence the new people who get to sit on the board of directors. I know very well that Jagex is not the homegrown company of the past, but it's not a global corporation either and when small companies get bought out, it changes its soul. And in the histories of many gaming studios being bought up, they literally just dissolves or get absorbed by whoever bought them.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Many people don't seem to understand what an investor actually is. These companies aren't going to get a say in what goes into the game, and frankly, I doubt they even give a [cabbage]. As long as they get what they put into it plus interest back, the game could go to hell for all they care.

Sylpheed.png

yay, more money straight into graphics, server speed, and more developers for better and more frequent content

should bring in mroe players, wont be long before we see 300k on at a time

speedier servers/more worlds? Less lag can only be a good thing.

I would honestly like to see some of the more pointless graphical projects be put aside and more developers put on the more meaningful content updates (master/grandmaster quests, smithing update, other skills that could use some revitalizing like farming, fixing bugs in a speedier time such as the duel arena staking bugs, etc).

Of course we'll have to see what actually comes out of it, until then, I'll be pessimistically hopeful.

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

What this means:

Jagex as a whole did not have enough money to invest in new content, therefor Jagex is working on some EPIC game.

Better stability of Jagex's servers and thier internet connection.

What's really happening:

We have all been having game crashes and disconnects, for the first time since 2001.

RWT and bots are rampant again.

Interest in Runescape has dropped significantly since 2007 and is continuing to do so among Internet users (meaning less new users)

Less new users means updates will have to be aimed at higher levels.

This means more end game content.

Which means weapons that put the rapier, and armour that puts torva to shame.

Meaning a game no one will ever want to play.

and then BOOM, stellar dawn!

??????

Profit! (for jagex)

sigsn9.jpg

As long as nothing is f'ed up, I have no problem with this.

The question I pose to you is how in the world will things not get f'ed up by this?

Thats what I'm waiting to find out.

Why they dont issue and sell shares to us?

Manipulation clans would buy it all.

Good move by Jagex tbh. More investors = more capital = more room to expand. From a business perspective it is a nice step forward.

Selling out isn't necessarily a bad thing, the last time Jagex sold out was when RS was advertised to the Miniclip community, look at how many new users started off that way. Old school players might not like the Miniclip move to even this day but it is undeniable that Jagex would not have expanded to the company it is today without that step.

EDIT: Would be nice if Jagex actually goes public and starts selling shares, I would certainly pick up a few (:

120dgl.jpg

Many people don't seem to understand what an investor actually is. These companies aren't going to get a say in what goes into the game, and frankly, I doubt they even give a [cabbage]. As long as they get what they put into it plus interest back, the game could go to hell for all they care.

That is plain wrong, when a company is first started the owner(s) own 100% of the shares. If their share drops below 50% then the stockholders take control of the company. Think on it, a share is a piece of the company, if you don't own the majority of the company then you don't have control of the company.

This is a fact btw

whatcolor_isblack.jpg