Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jagex Limited receives growth investment from new investors

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

amitoz
[ Display Name History ]

amitoz

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,390 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Amitoz
  • RSN2:Energytheory
Watch the wildy deleted in 6 months. FML

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

aspeeder
[ Display Name History ]

aspeeder

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

how is this considered selling out?

Because now not only are employees from 3rd part investors on the board of directors, even less stock is owned by the company which means that outside influences have more control over the company's decisions. Basically they got invested in, and now because they need to return that investment they need to focus on making the money back first instead of improving the game; the two aren't always mutually exclusive, but if there comes a time when they are things will start to go downhill fast.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

Nopenope
[ Display Name History ]

Nopenope

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Nautica
Not selling out, more like agreeing to financial expansion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grimy_Bunyip
[ Display Name History ]

Grimy_Bunyip

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Grimy Bunyip
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers

how is this considered selling out?

from my understanding, the gowers had majority stock prior to this, but now they do not.
whether that's actually considered selling out is not something i'd be fond of debating :P.

I think the more fundamental problem is the fact that the Andrew does not actually want to manage a big company.
I'm sure 1 eloquent, motivated individual with 25% stock could exert more control than an unmotivated leader with 100% stock over the company.

ultimately, sure Andrew gave up stock share of the company.
But I also get the feeling that he gave up practical control of the company a while ago.
When he decided to focus on making RS game updates rather than the company as a whole.
Posted Image

Jimmyd17
[ Display Name History ]

Jimmyd17

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 571 posts
  • RSN:Slack Tide
Why do people think they're being so hard done by? I have very little to no problem with how Runescape is being run at the moment. I think people are trying too hard to hold on to the supposed "good ol'days". Let it go, things change. People weren't happy with things back then just as people aren't happy about things now.

On topic... I can't see how this is a bad thing. More money will allow Jagex to do sooo much more.

Ps: $32.9 Billion?? That's not right...
Posted Image

aspeeder
[ Display Name History ]

aspeeder

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Why do people think they're being so hard done by? I have very little to no problem with how Runescape is being run at the moment. I think people are trying too hard to hold on to the supposed "good ol'days". Let it go, things change. People weren't happy with things back then just as people aren't happy about things now.

On topic... I can't see how this is a bad thing. More money will allow Jagex to do sooo much more.

That's probably thier total income, not their profit lol; paying wages, maintaining servers, buying new hardware, and marketing probably whittled down that number a good amount.

And they can only do more with money as long as they are free to do so, power=/=freedom.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

Will H
[ Display Name History ]

Will H

Tea Connoisseur

• Members
  • 5,195 posts
  • RSN:Will Holmes
  • Clan:Clay Gods
It's the natural progression of business, or rather, successful business. When a company grows large enough and still shows promise of continued growth, investors come in to the equation. More money means things get done faster. I'd be more worried if there weren't any investors by now.

~ W ~

Posted Image

Krampell
[ Display Name History ]

Krampell

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,306 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Krampell
  • RSN2:Echo Toast
Interesting now we'll have to wait and see where this leads.

Proud owner of the following skillcapes: Defence, Hitpoints, Strength, Attack, Magic, Summoning, Ranged, Slayer, Prayer and Herblore.
I drift in and out, trying some update that interests me.

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RSN:Dark Dude

paying mages,

Those mages are always a greedy lot, they don't do a whole lot (the whole "Magic" thing is easy anyway, any one could do it) yet demand silly amount of money for it! Jagex should get rid of all their mages and just hire warlocks instead, sure they're slightly more underhand with their methods but they get the job done and just demand jewels and staves of unimaginable evil rather than just money.

L2Pullout
[ Display Name History ]

L2Pullout

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Pretty sure jagex made nowhere close to billions. I would fully believe 32.9 Million is right however.

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan
Whoever invested in them is a bunch of suckers. :P

Sam
[ Display Name History ]

Sam

we are the music makers

• Members
  • 9,508 posts
A business got invested in. EVERYONE PANIC.

Come on - it happens all the time. Drop the nostalgia of the old days and embrace change.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Ezkaton
[ Display Name History ]

Ezkaton

#1 Bad Maxer

• Members
  • 2,387 posts
  • RSN:Ezkaton
  • Clan:EoE

paying mages,

Those mages are always a greedy lot, they don't do a whole lot (the whole "Magic" thing is easy anyway, any one could do it) yet demand silly amount of money for it! Jagex should get rid of all their mages and just hire warlocks instead, sure they're slightly more underhand with their methods but they get the job done and just demand jewels and staves of unimaginable evil rather than just money.

Tbh why pay them lots of money anyways? Just give them a lead bar and they're sorted with an alchemy spell.

Anyways I just wana see this INVESTED into RS not Stellar Dawn or given away every month in a $10,000 give away :wall: TBH I'd be tempted to give them back the $1000 if I won just to put some good updates into the game.... Though it'd come in useful for paying off Uni stuff <_<

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

The Observer
[ Display Name History ]

The Observer

Lead the charge

• SwiftKit Staff
  • 12,959 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
A company was invested in. It happens all the time. Just gives Jagex more immediate funds to begin projects sooner, etc. Obviously if they have three games running and one in development, operating costs are going to be high. Honestly I'd believe this would (if anything) be used mainly on the development of Stellar Dawn.

All we can do is wait and see. I really don't see any major changes being done by the third party investors. I know that if I am working with people who are more knowledgable about something than I am, I would let them do the majority of the work. If they had any ideas they'd probably bring it up in a board meeting. They wouldn't immediately change anything.

j0xPu5R.png

mackenzie14
[ Display Name History ]

mackenzie14

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 188 posts

32,9 Million is correct.
581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]
233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]
822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]
576th to Fishing 99 [September 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]
83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]
23885th to Smithing 99 [September 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy
As long as nothing is f'ed up, I have no problem with this.

jettrider
[ Display Name History ]

jettrider

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • RSN:Jettrider
  • Clan:DGS
32 billion? Off by a factor of 1000. Nice reading skills. I would call it a typo but you put in in all caps.

The move shows a sort of detachment to RuneScape, which could be good or bad depending on what they do.

2496 Completionist

pal2002
[ Display Name History ]

pal2002

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • Location:Thine alabaster cities gleam, Undimmed by human tears
I should have used a different title (too late to change it now). "Investing" is the way jagex's PR spin put the whole thing. Basically in financial terms, the Gowers had sold more of their share in the company (which was about 50% before and <50% now) to other people. Hence the new people who get to sit on the board of directors. I know very well that Jagex is not the homegrown company of the past, but it's not a global corporation either and when small companies get bought out, it changes its soul. And in the histories of many gaming studios being bought up, they literally just dissolves or get absorbed by whoever bought them.
I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles
Posted Image

Sylpheed
[ Display Name History ]

Sylpheed

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • RSN:Sylpheed
  • RSN2:Eliteice1
  • Clan:Scryers
Many people don't seem to understand what an investor actually is. These companies aren't going to get a say in what goes into the game, and frankly, I doubt they even give a [cabbage]. As long as they get what they put into it plus interest back, the game could go to hell for all they care.

Bangin_Blonde
[ Display Name History ]

Bangin_Blonde

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Honeypot_Grl
  • Clan:I don't Clan

As long as nothing is f'ed up, I have no problem with this.

The question I pose to you is how in the world will things not get f'ed up by this? You know Jagex, always able to wrest failure out of the jaws of sucess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users