Has Runescape "Jumped the Shark"?

Blyaunte

97 members have voted

1. 1. Has Runescape Jumped the Shark?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early to tell

Jumped the shark?

Who makes this crap up and then tries to get everybody else to talk like that?

Catch phrases on wikipedia are a joke.

"Jump the Shark" has been an idiom since 1977 ... :rolleyes:

Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this graph, Runescape's been in decline for some time:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/runescape.com

And here's an interesting article written by an ex-JMod (supposedly)

http://tech.massivel...rns-to-the-wild

Both of those links are useless fluff. I see so many graphs thrown around these forums and this one is no different in that it does not directly correlate to anything when relating it to the size of the playerbase.

As for the article, did you know I'm actually Andrew Gower? See, I can make a claim to be someone without any proof whatsoever, does that make it true?

Sylpheed.png

For a far more detailed example of the term:

http://tvtropes.org/...JumpingTheShark

Anyway, I don't think it has. Not yet, at least. Once all stats hit 120 and all players seem to be dissatisfied, to some extent, with new content, then ya. We may have Jumped the shark. But, for now, no. It's too early to tell.

Noooo you just ruined the rest of my day, as I know I will be on there for hours now...

Big_Stingman.png

Runescape jumped the shark when they removed a free economy. Around that time was when a mass exodus of people quit (including me) and the continued growth they had been seeing began to decline. Thankfully it's back.

I can't see RS statuses on the mobile version of TIF, but I'm guessing if you asked this on the OT forum which contains proportionately more retirees, you'd get a lot more 'Yes' answers, myself being one of them.

Jagex making profit is one thing, but that's not what the question is asking. Maintaining an influx of players and preventing players from leaving is another. To me, the Free Trade thing was about them admitting they couldn't beat botting and so surrendered to it for the benefit of everyone else, but it also smacked of desperation, with the "poll" and the "vote" being so colourfully flaunted in public. It was meant to be noticed by people who were hacked off by its removal, it was meant to say, 'This can still be your game, because we're putting it back in.'

Was that the last attempt of a company hoping to stop the rot though? I'm not so sure. The thing is, we all know 120 skillcapes are coming. I can picture a scenario where Jagex don't add any content from 100-120, they just release the skillcapes as another achievement to tick off the list. In which case, they're clearly using it as a hook to keep the players who have already maxed out or are near that stage from leaving. That would be the last act for me, but it hasn't come yet.

Runescape is in decline, my suggestion is quit now before your entire life is gone into oblivion!

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

You couldn't jump the shark in Classic because you didn't have knees.

But really, Runescape is going downhill. Slowly, very slowly.

It's like the anecdote about if you drop a frog in boiling water it'll jump out, but if you drop it in cold water and gradually heat the water it'll cook alive. Yeah, that's Runescape.

To anyone saying that runescape is going downhill, can you explain why? And I need a reason better than the fact that they're "selling out" or "desperately returning to their own ways." Ever since runescape came out, a vocal minority consistently complains that the game is getting worse and worse.

Sorry for being a little bit off-topic, but did anyone else get a little popup when they opened this topic that said something along the lines of "Authentication required, Runeshark.com requests a username and password"? A google search indicates it's an xp tracking Runescape site that seems clean, so maybe it's just someone's signature or something.

Sorry for being a little bit off-topic, but did anyone else get a little popup when they opened this topic that said something along the lines of "Authentication required, Runeshark.com requests a username and password"? A google search indicates it's an xp tracking Runescape site that seems clean, so maybe it's just someone's signature or something.

Yes im getting it. Its asking for your RS username and Pword so just keep clicking out of it.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

No one's claimed the game has gotten 'worse', or that it's 'dying'. Just like anything which does not last forever, RuneScape will have a period of growth, followed by a period of stagnation where the company tries to keep it from falling into decline, until it eventually gives in for rapid decline.

The thing that puzzles me is: If they wanted to bring in Free Trade, why didn't they just put it back in quietly like almost every other game update? Why hit us with a poll (sorry, two "polls") out of nowhere when it's obvious you've been working on it for much longer before? What's with the 10K giveaways all of a sudden?

Sure, there's legit reasons for all those things, but two things are also common:

1) They can all be done in desperation, to keep players hooked;

2) None of them are new content. 10K giveaways aren't content at all. Free Trade was once there before.

To me, that's a company whose main multi-award winning game is in stagnation, looking for ways to keep it afloat for a little while longer until Stellar and WoL get done.

Jumped the shark?

Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Austin Powers purportedly comes from the 1960's. Learn your decades, kid. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Jumped the shark?

Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Austin Powers purportedly comes from the 1960's. Learn your decades, kid. :rolleyes:

Frank Sinatra is groovy. You dig?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

runescape jumped the shark when RS2 came out.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Jumped the shark?

Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

It seems like everything ticks you off around here.

kazmahalfsize.png

Where have I seen this thread before . . .

Oh, I saw it here. Last week. And the week before. And every week before that since the birth of Runescape. No, Runescape is not dying, getting worse, etc, etc, etc. It's more fun than ever.

/thread

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

runescape jumped the shark when RS2 came out.

besides the fact that runescape had a MASSIVE rise in the number of new players at that time? :rolleyes:

vieled sarcasm. Theres no evidence to support player sign ups or profit is on decline.

Happens everytime updates come out people don't agree with/like.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Where have I seen this thread before . . .

Oh, I saw it here. Last week. And the week before. And every week before that since the birth of Runescape. No, Runescape is not dying, getting worse, etc, etc, etc. It's more fun than ever.

/thread

He never said anything about dying. The OP's post is regarding whether or not RS has reached it's peak. in other words, now that RS has been updated so fiercely can the game continue to improve or will it stagnate or slowly decline. Nothing about dying buddy.

and your post doesn't end this thread ROFL. This is a valid discussion among the people that understand the topic like me. For people like you it's just another doomsayer post on RS coming to an end.

whatcolor_isblack.jpg