Has Runescape "Jumped the Shark"?

Blyaunte

97 members have voted

1. 1. Has Runescape Jumped the Shark?

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early to tell

In terms of content, RS is doing fine. The recent quests may be a little bland compared to other quests, but if allowed to stand on their own, there's nothing wrong with them.

As for the declining numbers of players, revenue, etc., that can easily be blamed on the degrading state of the world economy. RS, as with most games, is a luxury item, and when times get tough as they are now, in most cases luxuries are the first things to be sacrificed in favor of the essentials like food, utilities and rent. As much as I love my Internet and RS, I'd gladly give them up if it meant eating for another day, and that's a decision that many thousands (or maybe millions) of people are forced to make monthly and sometimes weekly or daily.

The quality of the game's content is a purely internal matter and is easily quantifiable in terms of discussion. If you want to talk about the quality of the player base and revenue, you have to consider outside influences like the state of the economy and political decisions like those regarding China's stance on gold farming. which are no where near as easy to quantify without loads more time, research and expertise in such fields.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape has partially jumped the shark. Their latest update (free trade/wildy) was essentially a rerun, bringing something old and long-since dead that people had forgotten about. This 'bringback of content' was something that shocked me a bit, mainly due to the fact that it showed jagex's thought process in a whole new light, it being that they care more about size of impact rather than if it is a good or a bad one. Quest-wise, jagex needs less combat-oriented quests and ones that require actual strategy to solve. Monster-wise, it'd be great if they introduced a boss that required more strategy to kill...maybe something like the abyssal queen (see suggestion forum for details). Is runescape jumping the shark? Quest-wise maybe, monster-wise maybe, update-wise 75%yes/25%no.

div>

Runescape jumped the shark on 12 March 2010, when the first Bonus XP weekend began.

That event was Fonzie jumping over the shark if anything in this game ever was - a cheap stunt to pack the membership bleachers.

fonziejumpingtheshark.jpg

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours