Runescape Wedding Results in Under-Age Sex Trial

pal2002

lol this is one day where RS made news twice....

Detroit — A Massachusetts man remains jailed today on charges he allegedly came to the city three times last year to have sex with a 13-year-old Detroit girl he wed in an online video game.

John W. Phillips, 54, of Fitchburg, Mass., is charged with 11 felonies including sexual assault, using a computer to communicate with another person to commit a crime, accosting a child for immoral purposes and child sexually abusive activity. The maximum sentences for the charges range from four to 20 years in prison.

Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon said Phillips met the girl while playing RuneScape online and that they chatted online through the game in 2010. He said Phillips unsuccessfully attempted mailing the girl a cellular telephone.

So Phillips brought her the phone in person in February 2010 and had sex with the girl at an Eastpointe motel, Napoleon said. Phillips also is accused of having sex with the girl in his van and at her home.

Napoleon said Phillips and the girl wed in the role-playing game, which allows players to assume identities and interact with other players, some of whom live in other countries.

"They got married in the game," sheriff's corporal Ray Johnson said. "Maybe he thought that was legitimate in real life. It's not."

An investigation was launched into the man after the girl's mother discovered her exchanging texts with someone using a cellular phone, Napoleon said. The girl wasn't supposed to have a phone.

Phillips eluded capture while visiting with his father in upstate New York, Napoleon said. He also dyed his hair, grew out his beard or cut it to alter his appearance and keep police off guard, Napoleon said.

"He didn't want to come back to Michigan and face charges," Napoleon said.

Phillips was arrested in New York and fought extradition to Michigan. It took several law enforcement agencies working together to make the case he needed to face charges here, officials said.

He was arraigned Jan. 13 and faces a pretrial hearing on Thursday in 36th District Court.

The Wayne County Sheriff Office's Internet Crimes Unit sought out Phillips but it took help from the Michigan State Police, Wayne County prosecutors, U.S. Secret Service agents, federal prosecutors and police in Massachusetts and New York to nab Phillips, officials said.

Phillips doesn't have a criminal record, and it appears his only source of income comes from selling "Magic: The Gathering" game cards.

Johnson said the girl's mother worked two or three jobs and wasn't home for extended periods of time.

Michigan State Police Lt. Tom Kish said predators are starting to move from chat rooms to video games that allow players to interact over the Internet and through text messaging.

"It is easy for children to be contacted in nontraditional ways," Kish said. "Internet use has to be monitored."

The alleged victim is undergoing counseling, Napoleon said.

"This has been traumatic for her," he said.

To set up Internet safety training, call Michigan State Police Lt. Tom Kish at (734) 525-4492.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110208/METRO01/102080398/Man-accused-of-having-sex-with-Detroit-girl-he-wed-in-video-game#ixzz1DPUe7JAx

more

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/02/08/boston_area_man_faces_charges_of_sex_with_girl_13/

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/massachusetts-man-accused-of-sexually-assaulting-girl-he-met-on-online-game

better link with picture

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and it appears his only source of income comes from selling "Magic: The Gathering" game cards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Haha! How stupid are these people? It is their own fault that they were raped or w/e.

I hope youre not talking about the 13-year-old girl. The only person at fault is the 54-year-old man preying on a child.

I think the parents were just unknowing, but I dont think they share much of the fault. Apparently she wasnt supposed to have a cell phone at that age. I say fair parenting to that. Unfortunately, kids are sneaky (I know I was). I dont know how this kid got out of the house to meet this perv though. That is where the parents failed.

No 13-year-old can be held responsible for being sexually assaulted. That was a terrible comment Vezon.

Also, in America, child sexual abuse is nowhere near as rampant as South Eastern Asia.

wessan.png

Aha Bet Paul didn't have this in mind when he made this game!

Quick question, did any one else find this to read like a story "he said, she said, he said etc" rather than a new article?

koolcookie0.png

Goals: 15m Slayer xp | 85 Herblore | 75+ All Stats | Chaotic Rapier | 125k/200k Tokens

If a 13 years old is so gullible the problem lies somewhere deep ...

No. The only problem is that they are a child being manipulated by an adult. If there was a problem or fault on the child, there wouldnt be 11 felony charges slapped on a 54-year-old man.

wessan.png

Only in America.

I love it! :mrgreen:

By the way, as we all know no girls pray runescape, what are the chances of the guy finding a real female? I mean, really, had it been a typical 11 year old boy pretending to be a girl, the guy would still(likely) be selling trading cards... Tough luck.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Any form of online contact is dangerous. Should expect something like this to happen sooner or later (I'm sure it's happened in the past to be honest, but I digress...). It's not like the parents had much chance either. Kids are sneaky. I know half of the posters here hide or have hidden things from their parents at one time or another.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into one of those campaigns where more safety features are put in place.

j0xPu5R.png

If a 13 years old is so gullible the problem lies somewhere deep ...

No. The only problem is that they are a child being manipulated by an adult. If there was a problem or fault on the child, there wouldnt be 11 felony charges slapped on a 54-year-old man.

Being a teenage guy. I can tell you right now. That the 54 year old man probably has some weird problems in this, but the girl just as much. Those girls that go around having sex with 20+ year old guys are not being "taken advantage of" or "used" they are just easy, they know whats happening ever step of the way. I've seen this happen multiple times and its the same story every time.

Either way I lol'd reading this.

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png

I understand and endorse personal responsibility, but no matter the "problems" a kid is facing at that age, they are not at fault for being manipulated into sexual relations with an adult. Growing up, i knew kids in class having sex at 13/14, but with other 13-15 year olds. That is normal, not 13 and 54. The party responsible is the adult. Period. The girl may have some problems, but taking advantage of those and taking advantage of a child is just wrong.

wessan.png

I dont understand why you would feel like a troll, our discussion is extremely relevant to the original post. Troll = "Only in America" sentiments.

Either way, I just cannot comprehend how anyone could laugh or say "she had it coming". That is just terrible. I could not fathom doing something so sinister to a child.

wessan.png

Either way, I just cannot comprehend how anyone could laugh or say "she had it coming". That is just terrible. I could not fathom doing something so sinister to a child.

It's terrible, but a 13 years old should have at least some form of sexual education and should be aware of the consequences of communicating with older people of the opposite (... some times the same) gender. Imagine you being a 13 years old girl ... wouldn't you find it suspicious if a 54 years old grand'pa wants to .. chat with you?

In my eyes the girl was fully aware of the situation and wasn't fully manipulated (this does not lessen the crime). It's a rough example but ... if someone gets lured to the wildy both the lurer and the lured person are responsible - the lurer for breaking the rules and the lured for being a god damn idiot.

Apparently the child did not mention this to her mother (considering there were multiple dates). That worries me more than the involvement of RS.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted