The Profanity Filter

Blyaunte

sexism and racism, or discrimination of any kind are not allowed

so yes you can report them

however i wouldn't waste my time if i were in your shoes

Sadly -- this is the answer I am most afraid of ...

That is not a criticism of you, Bladewing, it is a concession that you're probably right. :(

nyuseg.png

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take anything said over the internet (and especially on a game) personally then LOL.

Really? They are probably ignorant 13 year olds. I really can't beleive anyone would take something like that to heart.

Let me guess -- you're a white male, with no children ...

Can't see how me having or not having children has anything to do with this, but alright. But you would be spot on. I might however add that i a South African and soon as people ask me where i am from my aswer is responded to with "OMFG you're AFRICAN?" Yeah it's annoying that people think there are only black people in Africa. But at the end of the day, you are black, i am white, and kids are [bleep]ed up. You really should not be taking things seriously. I can't understand why you would (unless you're shy of who you are).

"Mom why did that person just ask you to [perform a sexual act upon him] and call you a [name related to the pigment of your skin]?" :unsure:

Yeah cause ofcourse your children either a) sit on your lat and watch you play Runescape or b) follow you around everywhere you go in Runescape.

And now explain to me what my race/gender has to do with anything? I think you're being a rather big hypocrit. Bringing MY race and MY gender into this. OMG this is so class. Haha.

You should see what people say more often, then.

I personally do not get any comments (i am the most generic looking character, ever) but I see racist comments about dark colored characters all the time. Even in the crowded as balls living rock caverns, people make fun of bots by calling them nerds. But if the bot is dark? A whole new can of worms.

just no mate, just no.

of course i see what people say. i actually pay attention when i fish, cook, maging. and i have NEVER had anyone mention it at all, i get 30/40 beggars a day, never any abuse.

If they spell out derogatory comments in a way that would be filted (should you choose to keep it on) it is not against the rules. Should you take off your filter, then deal with the consequences of your decision.

[/thread]

I see. So, you think I should just toggle the filter to "off" and let those people who hurl derogatory remarks at me go unchallenged?

Tell me -- do you think racism is a behavioural or inherited human trait?

Just wondering ...

nyuseg.png

If they spell out derogatory comments in a way that would be filted (should you choose to keep it on) it is not against the rules. Should you take off your filter, then deal with the consequences of your decision.

[/thread]

I see. So, you think I should just toggle the filter to "off" and let those people who hurl derogatory remarks at me go unchallenged?

Just wondering ...

This would be a good time to step down and let the thread die. Making a fool of yourself tbh :shame:

As a woman, and in particular a woman of colour, I tend to draw certain unwanted comments aimed at me which are directed at both my gender and my race.

Nonetheless, this new "Profanity" filter is going to very likely open an entirely new "can of worms". If I toggle the Profanity filter off, I suspect that the filter will"star out" the likely racially derogatory and sexist remarks which could possibly be aimed at me.

If I toggle the filter on, then the sexist, sexually degrading and racist remarks will likely "show up" in the chat.

Question:

Should I even bother to report it?

You have it the wrong way. If the filter is on, it will remain starred out. End of problem. If any of them now attempt to circumvent that "on" condition and are verbally hitting you, go ahead and fire up the report abuse if you've a mind to. Not that it'll do much anyway. I get wisecracks about gender plenty i.e. "go back to the kitchen" "want to be my gf" "there are no girls on the interwebs" and personally, I just shrug it off. It's been 10 years and this has been the attitude around for a long time. What else to expect from a game populated by kids having fun by running wild? Though I do get a touch more satisfaction after I disembowel them if they say that while I'm pking. Heheheh.

This opens no can of worms. That's just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

sexism and racism, or discrimination of any kind are not allowed

so yes you can report them

however i wouldn't waste my time if i were in your shoes

Sadly -- this is the answer I am most afraid of ...

That is not a criticism of you, Bladewing, it is a concession that you're probably right. :(

dunno if ur referring to jagex not responding or peoples attitude not changing....

but if itz got to do with jagex, u might aswell bother. im fairly sure they respond to most reports as ive been muted for saying 'omg wat r u, like 10'

im sure if they act on that theyll acct on an actual insult.

anyways if i was u id just be like, yeah whatever??? most people in the west want to be black lol. whoi cares what some uber nerd 13 year old thats playing rs instead of learning things for real..

thats what id be like i would. lol..

If you take anything said over the internet (and especially on a game) personally then LOL.

Really? They are probably ignorant 13 year olds. I really can't beleive anyone would take something like that to heart.

Can't see how me having or not having children has anything to do with this, but alright. But you would be spot on. I might however add that i a South African and soon as people ask me where i am from my aswer is responded to with "OMFG you're AFRICAN?" Yeah it's annoying that people think there are only black people in Africa. But at the end of the day, you are black, i am white, and kids are [bleep]ed up. You really should not be taking things seriously. I can't understand why you would (unless you're shy of who you are).

"Mom why did that person just ask you to [perform a sexual act upon him] and call you a [name related to the pigment of your skin]?" :unsure:

Yeah cause ofcourse your children either a) sit on your lat and watch you play Runescape or b) follow you around everywhere you go in Runescape.

And now explain to me what my race/gender has to do with anything? I think you're being a rather big hypocrit. Bringing MY race and MY gender into this. OMG this is so class. Haha.

Your scope and vision is particularly narrow and self-centered. You think that the world is easily ignored and has no bearing on you or the people around you, except for those aspects that you demand are of importance.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your gender, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your skin colour, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

You're without a care in the world or a consideration for another person.

You're clearly male, single, young and white.

nyuseg.png

Don't like 'bad' words? Turn the filter on.

You don't mind? Turn it off.

Report people who are offensive.

/thread

Bad words can be used legitimately. Why should I turn on a filter which not only blocks "bad" words used in context but also regular dictionary words just because they or a part of it looks/sound like a possible swear? I stand by that the main 4 letter swear should still be blocked.

then leave your filter on

ain't hard, folks.

The question isn't whether or not to leave the filter on/off -- the question is whether or not I should report someone for saying: "[Perform a sexually degrading act on me, you female individual product of inter-racial heritage] ..."

<_<

Why wouldn't you report them o_O

Theres a big difference between swearing in some situations ('oh [cabbage] I just died'), which wouldn't be reportable, and directing disgusting things at a person, which defineatly would. Just because the filter is togglable doesn't mean people can get away with saying anything they like. Previously the rules said that if something was blocked by the filter you shouldn't report it, mainly because if you did jagex would see stars in the evidence and wouldn't even know themselves what the person said.

With this update it's more likely that if you report something that was starred out jagex will now know exactly what they said, so for example if they're saying horrible things about a persons race or whatever, it's definetly worth reporting even if it is starred out. I would rather turn the filter off so I know exactly what people are saying around me, I'm an adult and I can handle a few swear words lol, if used in a non malicious way.

Anyone remember when 'damn' was censored? So if you saw 'oh ****' you didnt know if they were swearing or just saying something that was stupidly blocked, that's why I'll always have the filter off. 'urs' as in yours was another stupid one blocked for a long time. So what I'm saying is this can be a good and bad thing, depending on the maturity of the person.

Actually, my favorite part about that was how, during the time when the word "damn" was censored, they had the word "damn" in the monkey madness dialoque, in a cutscene between Awowogei and one of whathisfacebadgnomewhosummonsdemons minion.

Oh and lol at the last post >.<

Yes, I realize how bad it is in real life, but over the internet it just sounds funny, sorry >_<

Anyhoo, I don't see why you shouldn't report them. I'm still quite happy with this though. Because really, no matter how hard we work on the censor, unless everyone is limited to QC people can still say offensive things. (Kill blacks. Heck, you can say that in game context talking about dragons.) And short of limiting people to QC, people can still find ways to swear around the censor. On the other hand, your going to run into many scenarios where regular conversation gets hindered by the censor. This doesn't mean you shouldn't report people for saying offensive things.

You know, this is just optimism here, but with any luck you'll run into less of that, because if a person says [bleep] me you [racist term], they'll hopefully say it without trying to bypass the filter; whereas if you keep it on, you won't see it. Just like you didn't see what I actually typed here.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Your scope and vision is particularly narrow and self-centered. You think that the world is easily ignored and has no bearing on you or the people around you, except for those aspects that you demand are of importance.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your gender, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your skin colour, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

yeah so!!!

ive been mugged and punched for being white so now actually stfu!

hav u ever been punched, doubt it, cos ur a girl!!! ther stfu, girls dont get punched as much wanna say im being sexist? there are differences between men and women yeah, so just stop being so annoying an allow it. u think that everyone that isnt a black mother has no problems?!?!

grow up man, ur the one not living in the real world, blind or wateva. everyone gets diss sometimes, take it.

i cannot beleive u assume that being white stops me from getting racist attacks man...

dont even no wat u want?? are u ranting about general racism or what?

edit: lol at people that get pysically aggressive at u for being a woman, unless theyr gna rape u. ive never heard of anything like that happening.

i dunno man, ur making out like everythings really harsh and hard but end of the day ur not living in squallor with no food or water. hells uve even got bare free time to spend on an online game when you ahve kids?!! lol

so please stop calling me a clueless white male or whatever lolll

Thats 0 -2.

You know nothing about my background so how the hell do you feel so free to just go ahead and assume any of the things you just mentioned. According to the post you just made you sound like you must know me pretty damn well and as a matter of fact you don't know a god damn thing about me. I've had BLACK FEMALES make comments on the fact that i am a WHITE MALE and guess what? This was in real life, not a [bleep]ing internet game. Jesus are you just trolling or are you really this petty?

[/thread]

Just wondering ...

This would be a good time to step down and let the thread die. Making a fool of yourself tbh :shame:

You're both evading my question:

Do you think other people learn racism because they see other people commit racist acts, or are they genetically oriented towards racist acts?

nyuseg.png

Don't like 'bad' words? Turn the filter on.

You don't mind? Turn it off.

Report people who are offensive.

/thread

Bad words can be used legitimately. Why should I turn on a filter which not only blocks "bad" words used in context but also regular dictionary words just because they or a part of it looks/sound like a possible swear? I stand by that the main 4 letter swear should still be blocked.

then leave your filter on

ain't hard, folks.

The question isn't whether or not to leave the filter on/off -- the question is whether or not I should report someone for saying: "[Perform a sexually degrading act on me, you female individual product of inter-racial heritage] ..."

<_<

How did the situation change now that there is an option to turn off the filter? Saying offensive things is still against the rules.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

Look miss, you are calling for political correctness yet you keep proclaiming someones opinion is inferior to yours because of their marital status, gender and race, (and age but this one is the most warranted out of the list)

Can you finish this argument without attacking the the things that make him different from you? Can you argue the point without pointing out his race and gender? You are appearing to be the racist and sexist among us.

He asked me how his gender and race reflected his responses -- I provided him with an answer. Which part of *that* conversation did you miss?

... and you've evaded my question: Is racism inherited or learned? I await your reply please.

nyuseg.png

This is a game. Why so serious?

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

This is a game. Why so serious?

'Cause she's black, duh.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

[/thread]

Just wondering ...

Do you think other people learn racism because they see other people commit racist acts, or are they genetically oriented towards racist acts?

1. Question was not directed at me, therefor i see no need to aswer it.

2. I honestly don't give a [cabbage] about racism. I need to life with it each day of my life and i'm still alive.

Blyaunte if I was you I would leave the filter to do its job and report any player that offends you. If you wanted to go further you could set public chat to friends as well as private. The measures are there, and have always been there, to help you.

[/thread]

Just wondering ...

alright this is a fair point. but please reply to one of my posts fully because this whole thread is pissing me off n ur not even replying to meeee!!

i think other people do everything because of seeing other people doing it. but runescape cant stop it, or make any signifcant impact at all. i dunno, maybe this should be moved to off topic and renamed ? :unsure:

so maybe we should just drop it. (after you respond to my last 3 posts!!! :@)

Now I just have to ask what your last 3 posts were >_<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

That is kind of racist. And sexist.

Also, even if they are 13 year old, and stupid, it still hurts for most people. Some can look past it, others can not.

But as far as I know, if it is offensive, as in targeted against you, you report it.

If it is a random curse word thrown in to describe how large a fish is, then do not bother reporting it.

Give a man a lighter, and he will be warm for a while.

Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Okay guys, let's just try not to drag race in here as a defining factor of why someone acts the way they do okay, i.e. let's not go into the whole nature versus nurture stuff please. Stick with the original topic.

If you wish to continue with your personal argument, take it off the thread and do it via PM the very least. Otherwise drop it. We have rules on these forums that ask that you please respect users for who they are regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, religious beliefs, and so forth. This is an international community after all.

~~~On Topic~~~

If you personally have an issue with the new ability to turn off the filter, then don't turn it off and use the report button and ignore list if needed. No one is forcing you to turn it off. I understand that there will be people who will turn the filter off and throw a number of offensive words out there, including racial slurs. You are more than welcome to report them as it still falls under the offensive language rules set by Jagex. If you do not wish to tolerate any sort of foul language, keep the filter on. I'm Chinese and I'm female, and way before this update came about I was already getting racially and sexually driven insults. This is nothing new for me and I will continue to use the ignore and report buttons. Don't let the immature kids beat you up with words, and don't let your status victimize you.

Edited by ForsakenMage
Random duplicate of paragraphs. :|