The Profanity Filter

Blyaunte

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Sorry! My bad! "Gay looking" is a man who dresses well ...

And just as a reminder...

Yeah -- I tried that for a time -- but I came off as a gay looking white guy who sounds black ... <_<

You're not going to weasel your way out of this one...

First off, define how someone can "sound" black. Please. Try it. I dare you.

Second, why the <_< face for a "well dressed" white person? You racist?

No matter how you spin this one, you were a hypocrite. One way or another.

The runescape I play must be *vastly* different to the runescape you play...

+1 :thumbup:

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In shorty, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Obvious troll is obvious ...

Your ignorance clouds your sense of reason. You bring it upon yourself. Others have agreed with me. You're fighting a losing argument. Let the thread die, you look like a fool.

"People agree with me, therefore I must be right!" :rolleyes:

You don't play with me in-game -- you've no idea who I am or how I play in game. A message forum and on-line play are entirely two separate things.

You read only what you want to read and comprehend even less than that. If you've nothing to add to the discussion then there is nothing here for you to see. Stop being a haughty horse's backside and either contribute something valid or get off the thread.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game. You'd prefer to simply close your eyes and pretend it's not happening. That's not a solution that's ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're not part of the solution you're not offering a solution you're only compounding the problem with your ignorance.

"I hate being generalized, but I will happily generalize those who criticize my argument that has more holes than swiss cheese!" rolleyes.gif

I don't need to play with you in game to know exactly that type of person you are. You're a choleric, and you think you command authority and demand respect wherever you roam. If you act completely different in game than you do on a forum, you may suffer from MPD, or stupidity. Probably the latter. You've made a pointless thread and it's life has been extended far beyond it's usefulness (none), so for that I applaud you. I have contributed something, it just happens to be something you disagree with. See my original statement, please.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people like you who would prefer to simply close their eyes and cover their ears and pretend that your one stand against the evils of the world is going to make any real change at all. It's not happening. There is no solution. There will always be racism, there will always be sexism, there will always be discrimination. Why? Because there will always be people different from each other.

It's those who can acknowledge this simple to grasp concept that can move on with their lives without losing too much sleep because a Teenager called them something mean.

You are the problem.

So -- tell me -- when are you going to get your head out of your ass and realize that the problem *I* am talking about isn't about *me*, but rather the examples being set for other (impressionable) players who turn the filters on/off and see people making derogatory racist and sexist remarks?

Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :rolleyes:

On the contrary, it is about you, because any sensible, no, not even -- any intelligent person would make the obvious choice and ignore the person, report them, and move on. Last I checked, the only thing that has changed is the ability to visually see the obscenities now. Yet, before today, I heard not a peep from you. And, to also mention, no one else seems to be whining to such a degree that you are.

I would say "Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... rolleyes.gif", but sweetheart, you're obviously too self-absorbed and caught up in your own little world to care about reality.

OP is just looking for attention and an outlet for whining. No further explanation needed.

Cheez whiz snookums -- perhaps you should really take the time and read what I've said.

What I am asking is, should I sit idle and let the filter make everything look like:

"Hey *****, come here and **** my **** and let me **** you in the ***. Now be a good ****** and shine my shoes."

Or, should I turn the filter on and report it for being vulgar and racist?

You're purporting that I should leave the filter on and just let it slide because, "hey, it's all about [me] and this 'uppity black woman' got what she deserved."

I am saying -- no, while it's all water off a duck's back to me, if I simply let it go, there's other people around who will watch this kind of behaviour go unchallenged and model their own behaviour after it.

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In shorty, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Your ignorance clouds your sense of reason. You bring it upon yourself. Others have agreed with me. You're fighting a losing argument. Let the thread die, you look like a fool.

You don't play with me in-game -- you've no idea who I am or how I play in game. A message forum and on-line play are entirely two separate things.

You read only what you want to read and comprehend even less than that. If you've nothing to add to the discussion then there is nothing here for you to see. Stop being a haughty horse's backside and either contribute something valid or get off the thread.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people who are going to hurl racist and sexist insults in the game. You'd prefer to simply close your eyes and pretend it's not happening. That's not a solution that's ignoring the elephant in the room.

You're not part of the solution you're not offering a solution you're only compounding the problem with your ignorance.

"I hate being generalized, but I will happily generalize those who criticize my argument that has more holes than swiss cheese!" rolleyes.gif

I don't need to play with you in game to know exactly that type of person you are. You're a choleric, and you think you command authority and demand respect wherever you roam. If you act completely different in game than you do on a forum, you may suffer from MPD, or stupidity. Probably the latter. You've made a pointless thread and it's life has been extended far beyond it's usefulness (none), so for that I applaud you. I have contributed something, it just happens to be something you disagree with. See my original statement, please.

This is a real problem. The fact is, and remains, that there are people like you who would prefer to simply close their eyes and cover their ears and pretend that your one stand against the evils of the world is going to make any real change at all. It's not happening. There is no solution. There will always be racism, there will always be sexism, there will always be discrimination. Why? Because there will always be people different from each other.

It's those who can acknowledge this simple to grasp concept that can move on with their lives without losing too much sleep because a Teenager called them something mean.

You are the problem.

So -- tell me -- when are you going to get your head out of your ass and realize that the problem *I* am talking about isn't about *me*, but rather the examples being set for other (impressionable) players who turn the filters on/off and see people making derogatory racist and sexist remarks?

On the contrary, it is about you, because any sensible, no, not even -- any intelligent person would make the obvious choice and ignore the person, report them, and move on. Last I checked, the only thing that has changed is the ability to visually see the obscenities now. Yet, before today, I heard not a peep from you. And, to also mention, no one else seems to be whining to such a degree that you are.

I would say "Realization sets in -- in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... rolleyes.gif", but sweetheart, you're obviously too self-absorbed and caught up in your own little world to care about reality.

OP is just looking for attention and an outlet for whining. No further explanation needed.

My thoughts from the start tbh.

You are the problem.

Cheez whiz snookums -- perhaps you should really take the time and read what I've said.

What I am asking is, should I sit idle and let the filter make everything look like:

"Hey *****, come here and **** my **** and let me **** you in the ***. Now be a good ****** and shine my shoes."

You're purporting that I should leave the filter on and just let it slide because, "hey, it's all about [me] and this 'uppity black woman' got what she deserved."

I am saying -- no, while it's all water off a duck's back to me, if I simply let it go, there's other people around who will watch this kind of behaviour go unchallenged and model their own behaviour after it.

You could always report foul language if it was directed at you or another person, censored out or not. Someone needs to revisit the RuneScape rules I believe. If you can't make such a decision on what to do for yourself, than it is my personal opinion that your children are not in capable hands.

Leaving this thread, I'm losing braincells because of your idiocy by the minute. Enjoy your half-thought out bulls*** discussion.

The runescape I play must be *vastly* different to the runescape you play because - I don't see the sexism and racism people claim that jumps out at every corner.

I pk and hang out in the more "vile" parts of the game too.

I'd post the screenies that I posted in that OTHER forum -- but you'd just delete them because they're from a "PRIVATE" place ... :rolleyes:

How quickly you forget things. You must be getting old Das.

nyuseg.png

I want a screenshot of that because in my 10 years of runescape, and hanging around at least 3 people who were PERM MUTED for offensive language - (Jmag, Pokey, Keeler) have NEVER seen anything half that vulgar and racist.

Heck, Sleets, Pokey, and a few other good and well known pkers played black characters and NEVER got called a racial slur in my time killing with em.

You've been playing the hell out of the race card since you've started posting.

but you'd just delete them because they're from a "PRIVATE" place ... :rolleyes:

What a load of bull, Firstly, I don't believe in censorship, secondly, they are you're freaking screenshots right? You can post them wherever the piss you want.

Edited by Danqazmlp

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I've wanted this for years. Eliminates the need for censor evasion, and the number of needlessly filtered words. As a bonus there aught to be less frivolousness language reports. Those who don't like evil words burning their virgin eyes (?) can leave the censor in place. Everyone wins.

quit

You are the problem.

Are you five years old? No really? Jesus why do YOU asking US what YOU should do? Do what the [bleep] you want. Do what the hell you feel like. Did the ************ bother you before today? Probably not. So why, in the name of god, are you making such a [bleep]ing issue about it now??????????????????????????????

Polly want a cracker?

OMFG!@!@!@!@!@!@!@ She said CRACKER!@!@!@

Racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Oh God Das, are you enjoying this as much as I am?

What do you think? I'm just sad I gotta take my lunch hour now silly office drone I am :(

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Oh God Das, are you enjoying this as much as I am?

What do you think? I'm just sad I gotta take my lunch hour now silly office drone I am :(

Complain to your higher ups. Maybe you can squeeze out an extra hour because you're a white male and you're being discriminated against.

I want a screenshot of that because in my 10 years of runescape, and hanging around at least 3 people who were PERM MUTED for offensive language - (Jmag, Pokey, Keeler) have NEVER seen anything half that vulgar and racist.

Heck, Sleets, Pokey, and a few other good and well known pkers played black characters and NEVER got called a racial slur in my time killing with em.

You've been playing the hell out of the race card since you've started posting.

but you'd just delete them because they're from a "PRIVATE" place ... :rolleyes:

What a load of [cabbage], Firstly, I don't believe in censorship, secondly, they are you're freaking screenshots right? You can post them wherever the piss you want.

Sexist comments -- and these are WITH the censor ...

2sh02.jpg

4qss5c.jpg

I'm sure I'll find a few racist remarks tonight when I log in.

nyuseg.png

You are not the police. It's not your job to make sure everyone stays in line and conforms to your idea of gameplay or social interaction. It is your job, however, to make sure your own children grow up well. What others do isn't your responsibility but their own. So let them see the racist and sexist remarks that's been here since you were born - and let them do what they will from it. To put it bluntly: mind your own damn business.

And while you're at it, learn to address your own prejudices that you so trippingly said in earlier posts.

You really don't get how this works, do you. If it's in asterisks, Jagex will likely take no action. That means the filter is turned on and working so there's no point doing anything about it. And even if the filter were off, as long as they didn't circumvent the censor it's fine in their books. Therefore it is a waste of time to report.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

Polly want a cracker?

Now THAT made me lol. :lol:

nyuseg.png

You really don't get how this works, do you. If it's in asterisks, Jagex will likely take no action. That means the filter is turned on and working so there's no point doing anything about it. And even if the filter were off, as long as they didn't circumvent the censor it's fine in their books. Therefore it is a waste of time to report.

... sighs ...

With the profanity filter turned off, you will see exactly what other players type in their chat, warts and all. Note that, as you have made a concious choice to turn off your profanity filter, you should not report other players simply for using the odd bit of bad language. You can and should still report other players who are being discriminatory, bullying, threatening, lewd, salacious, soliciting, etc, regardless of whether or not they are using bad language! It may be worth familiarising yourself with our rules on innapropriate language and behaviour, but, basically, so long as you are responsible and respectful to other players, you have nothing to worry about.

source

nyuseg.png

Polly want a cracker?

Now THAT made me lol. :lol:

The truth can be quite comical, can't it?

Personally, I am highly against the necessity for this "update". Apparently, it's to please the "mature" players and allow them to use words that they're "mature" enough to use. Well, newsflash, people don't need to use profane language, especially not adults. Most of us haven't done so in our time playing, why it's it suddenly necessary? As a Moderator, any time I speak now I'm told to go "[bleep] off", or some other immature, childish remark's thrown at me. It's not the mature players that are doing it -- it's the ones that the filter was there for in the first place.

I completely understand what you mean, Blyaunte. And I do think it's a disgrace, if I may say so. It was never necessary. I've been leading a clan chat now for almost two years; one of the most active clan chats there are on RuneScape and today I was amazed to see just how immature some people are. Racist slurs flying left, right and centre. Of course; nothing we could do at that stage because the rules themselves were so unclear.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

With the profanity filter turned off, you will see exactly what other players type in their chat, warts and all. Note that, as you have made a concious choice to turn off your profanity filter, you should not report other players simply for using the odd bit of bad language.

This is the only thing that really applies. Everything else doesn't matter in reality because they are not staffed to handle such a flood of reports.

EDIT: If they were to strictly enforce that then the entire clan I'm in would all be permanently muted.

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

OP what time period do you live in?? Because I don't hear people being racist and sexually assaulting African-American people in Runescape now.

(I said African-American so she doesn't assume I'm "racist" for saying black and go apes*** on me.)

Lol you said apes***, that's punny!!! See, it's funny cus she's black.