The Profanity Filter

Blyaunte

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Still representatives of a faction of the community in some form, and I'm not impressed.

"I hate stupidity, something her person is rampant with"; then you must hate life; it is full of it. I daresay yourself, too. The above doesn't come across at all intelligent; flaming people over this? Yeah. That's stupidity. Hypocritical? Yep. "I hate stupidity." in itself is a stupid thing to say, Batman.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I understand what the OP means. As a woman who plays this online game it is terribly annoying when people comes up to you making sexist and frankly childish/insulting remarks. I plan on leaving my filter on at all times. When I speak to my friends we usually talk on IRC so I do not need to worry about in game chat as much anyways.

Overall I'd say this was a good update simply because it gives the people a choice to either deal with the profanities or to censor them.

120dgl.jpg

Still representatives of a faction of the community in some form, and I'm not impressed.

"I hate stupidity, something her person is rampant with"; then you must hate life; it is full of it. I daresay yourself, too. The above doesn't come across at all intelligent; flaming people over this? Yeah. That's stupidity. Hypocritical? Yep. "I hate stupidity." in itself is a stupid thing to say, Batman.

I will cede your point. However I never claimed to be a nice person. Just one ready to debate.

All arguments aside you must provide respect before you demand it. She has given none, so she shall recieve none.

And I'm not looking to earn your approval or to impress you.

Those look more like sexual harassment than sexism.

Yep, exactly, if it was sexism, it would of the usual "kitchen" comment. I've had other male in game tell me to suck thier..Well. we all know what word is next during a deachmatch or while we fought. it was harrasment at best, but I reported went on and didn't let some idiot bother me.

I love how you state

As a woman, and in particular a woman of colour, I tend to draw certain unwanted comments aimed at me which are directed at both my gender and my race.

First off, Why is your gender and race important for an intellectual discussion on the removal of the filter? You're either trying to get support based on your minority demographics (women on the internet are sorta rare), or you're trying to bias the post by playing the race card.

Race and Gender have nothing to do with this question you posed below

Should I even bother to report it?

The censor's removal shouldn't have any more of an effect on you, than anyone else ideally especially since your question originally seemed to be what actions you would take on reporting and not one of concern for growing offensive trash talk.

You then proceed to state how people have said bad things to you, and you blocked them and acknowledge the filter and ignore list exist for people who are offended easily, overly sensitive, don't want to see it - whatever. They even have quick chat worlds where no one can say anything to you not approved by the "big brother" jagex - steps are available to avoid seeing text in it's "Raw" "uncensored" form.

Now that I understand, but why in your FIRST reply - do you RACIALLY, AGE AND then GENDER profile a poster who didn't give you an answer that i would guess you agreed with by stating

Let me guess -- you're a white male, with no children ...

You finally say again

The question isn't whether or not to leave the filter on/off -- the question is whether or not I should report someone for saying:

A smart intellectual woman such as yourself could of easily go to

http://www.runescape.com/rules/rule_inappropriate_language.ws

And read

2. What do you mean by offensive or inappropriate language?

This includes (but is not limited to): discussion of recreational drugs, sexually explicit language, solicitation, racism or other prejudice, threatening, blackmail and swearing. It's simply a matter of common sense - try not to say anything that someone might find offensive.

Yep. it's reportable, end of thread

Yet for someone so concerned with racism and discrimination you attack the poster OFFENDED by your reverse racism with obvious reverse racism/discrimination

Your scope and vision is particularly narrow and self-centered. You think that the world is easily ignored and has no bearing on you or the people around you, except for those aspects that you demand are of importance.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your gender, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

You've never had anyone make a comment about your skin colour, and then follow it up with an aggressive gesture that you found physically threatening.

You're without a care in the world or a consideration for another person.

You're clearly male, single, young and white.

To be fair, short of the physically threating, you JUST DID TWO OF THOSE THINGS to him.

Then you keep trying to derail the thread with OFF TOPIC questions about racism - you want a discussion on if racism is behavioral or inherited, go to OFF TOPIC. Your original question involved reporting, not why are people racist. I fail to see the relevance of this. BUT HELL i'll bite

Then if we allow people to continue making racist remarks unchallenged, do you not by your silence condone their racism?

I can name at least 20 rap songs with offensive racist words in the title, words that are degrading and racist when used towards a person of colour yet an ENTIRE generation of white/black/latino/asians and oompa loompas have now turned it into slang, and listens to it in music with no problem. Books have been written on the subject.

Anyways, Then you again, post this gem

but I came off as a gay looking white guy who sounds black ...

I don't even know where to begin with that. how does a runescape character sound black? How does a runescape character look gay?

"go to hell"
Actually Gugge told me once years in her country thats more offensive than pretty much any other insult - Hell, like other words, have different contexts in other places as america.... For someone who said "You're without a care in the world or a consideration for another person." You're obviously not thinking outside of American culture for offending people - if someone called you a numpty - would you take offense, do you know what it is? or would you assume?

Regardless

Racism is WRONG. Discrimination is wrong, and i've seen both sides use it in their argument, it has NOTHING to do with the original argument on reporting

We are all humans, we are all self aware, capable of thought, we all bleed when pricked with a needle and we all share the same basic needs of food, shelter, love and happiness. it doesn't Matter your gender, your race, We're all EQUALS.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I don't really want to drag this topic out further, but the implications of some of the arguments are a bit disturbing. While the OP was inarticulate and brash in her presentation of her arguments, I believe what she was getting at was that privilege can blind people to the reality of what different people face.

Here is a short definition of privilege as used in the context above quoted from another source:

"Privilege is: About how society accommodates you. Its about advantages you have that you think are normal. Its about you being normal, and others being the deviation from normal. Its about fate dealing from the bottom of the deck on your behalf."

Privilege can exist in the context of gender (i.e. male privilege), class, race and other aspects that make up an individual as part of differing groups in society. Privilege is afforded to groups of people (i.e. the wealthy), and thus often difficult for an individual to perceive their own privilege because that privilege is the norm for them and is often the norm for the people who surround them. Also, disadvantage in one are does not cancel out privilege in another (i.e. if a man were poor he would have the disadvantages associated with that socio-economic class, but he would still have the privileges that come with being male). Obviously, everyone faces hardships in their life, the problem is that the hardships of groups without privilege are often dismissed, swept aside or otherwise invalidated; especially as told by a person within that disadvantaged group.

Anyway, I won't be reading or posting on this thread further, so if you have a question or a criticism about what I've just posted, feel free to continue this through PM.

4925608028_032fb6a619.jpg

to be fair you (OP) are being the most racist of anyone who has posted in the thread thus far.

YAY! Not an argument! :rolleyes:

You must be a single gay jewish black woman!

Don't take this out of it's context and tell me I'm racist, please.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

We are all humans, we are all self aware, capable of thought, we all bleed when [puncture]ed with a needle and we all share the same basic needs of food, shelter, love and happiness. it doesn't Matter your gender, your race, We're all EQUALS.

=D>

-am not worthy-

Judging by your behavior I see on these forums, you probably attract negative comments towards your person. You have this aura emanating from you that screams "I think I am better than all the people in the world, if you say anything I disagree with, you are wrong no matter what."

Not to mention you've done your fair share of assumptions on this thread, thus showing you yourself are incapable of overseeing someone's race or gender. That's discrimination in itself. Here, let me save you the time of typing this response out to me. Yes, I'm white, yes, I'm male, and yes, I'm young, 19 anyways. The difference is, I don't need to point out that yes, you're black, yes, you're female, and yes, you're older than I am, because frankly, I don't give a f***.

In short, drop the haughtiness, get that stick out of your ass, and maybe you won't receive as much negativity from kids on an online game who will troll anybody for any reason. By the way, did I mention..... they are KIDS.

Firstly, I'd just like to say, I found this thread completely hilarious. Secondly, I thought that the ^ quote was the nail in the coffin for the OP. Tip.it.com General Discussion entertainment at its finest!

correction: we should all be equals

otherwise great post das

But it seems typical for minorities to put themselves above others, so this is basically what the whole thread is about. For all i know, the Op might be a green mutant, i still wouldn't respect her.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

If you take anything said over the internet (and especially on a game) personally then LOL.

Really? They are probably ignorant 13 year olds. I really can't beleive anyone would take something like that to heart.

That is probably a good guess seeing as how a good portion of the RS population fits into this category but I don't see how that has anything to do with the post

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

otherwise great post das

But it seems typical for minorities to put themselves above others, so this is basically what the whole thread is about. For all i know, the Op might be a green mutant, i still wouldn't respect her.

correction: typical for people to put themselves above others

otherwise great post das

What if she was a ninja turtle? Or the Hulk? Would you respect her then?

otherwise great post das

Does it matter what she is?

It's a forum, Judge people by the content they post and the arguments they post - not who they are or claim to be. The discussion of her race, is really quite irrelevant, Who the piss cares?

Asides, Unless it's Banner Hulk from the late 80s-Mid 90's it would be written in all caps and short sentences .

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

otherwise great post das

Not really, no.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

I doubt many people really hate blyaunte because of her gender and sex.

People dislike her because she's always making stupid and rude posts.

Being racist and sexist towards her is just a convenient means of getting back at her.

As far as I'm concerned, many people who are racist and sexist towards blyuant, aren't usually racist and sexist to anybody else.

Just towards blyuante.

Naaxi.png

And what the hell does that have to do with anything?

You take anything an internet 13y/o kid on the internet tells you seriously, and I stop taking you seriously.

You get offended, you can either ignore the offender or turn on the filter temporarily. You should also report him, as racism is against the rules.

It's that easy.

crossed_body.png

With the profanity filter turned off, you will see exactly what other players type in their chat, warts and all. Note that, as you have made a concious choice to turn off your profanity filter, you should not report other players simply for using the odd bit of bad language. You can and should still report other players who are being discriminatory, bullying, threatening, lewd, salacious, soliciting, etc, regardless of whether or not they are using bad language! It may be worth familiarising yourself with our rules on innapropriate language and behaviour, but, basically, so long as you are responsible and respectful to other players, you have nothing to worry about.

source

As Bladewing has quoted, if you find something offensive then report it. Jagex will make the final decision as to whether somebody will be muted and the severity of the insult. We all find different things insulting, which is why there is no one defining rule as to what is and isn't offensive. So just report what you find offensive and leave it at that.

For this topic, it has become a flamefest at the OP therefore I am locking it.

Good day.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^