Auto log out.

Monky

The auto log out feature has been around as far as I know forever, played since 04. What do you think about the feature and do you think it a good idea if Jagex were to allow you to customise your log out timer?. Also, what implications and cons would this bring upon the game.

Is it there to keep the servers clear of inactive players, or to simply protect them inside, incase a dangerous random showed. Given the dangerous randoms have been removed for a decent amount of time, should there be alterations to the system?

Id love to hear your thoughts so, discuss.

mr%20monky.png

"We shouldn't wish for easier lives, we should wish to be stronger men"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its to keep server spaces open for active players and is needed so some ass cant log 2,000 accounts into 1 important server n just leave them thus locking out everyone esle.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yeah. Frankly, the system works fine as it is - 5 minutes of inactivity and your off the servers. However, your still in the lobby, so if you get kicked out because you were say, cutting ivies, you can go back in. Option for a shorter timer I guess isn't a bad thing, but I fail to see the advantage of it.

And I doubt there will be an advantage that isn't some weird obscure thing that's only a odd niche benefit.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I think it needs to be there and that the way it is now is fine. I can't really think of any major reasons as to why the system exists, it just seems pretty obvious to me.

Although it may not be as big an effect as I portray, I think it would get annoying trying to get into a crowded world when you are actually at the computer, but have to try that much longer because someone somewhere is leaving their character logged in.

Trollbomber.png

It used to be 30 seconds I think (or 1 min can't remember exactly). Back then it was really annoying, I had to constantly spin my camera while I was fishing or w/e so I didn't get logged out halfway through an invy. Since they changed it to 5 min I haven't had a problem with it.

Bbk.png

For some reason I thought you meant the automatic log out after playing continuously for six hours. Wasn't before I read all the posts for the second time I realised it was the timer for being idle you talked about :)

Anyway: I think like the timer is now, it really is good enough. It is enough to make sure that you at least pay some attention while playing, while it on the other hand gives a little more space than it used to do before, when just reading a bit on the forums would end up logging you out.

Scherzo.png

I have died at bandos 2x due to the 6 hour log 'feature'. I don't see how the 6 hour log makes sense in any way. If you are legitimately playing then you will just log back on immediately. If you are botting then the bot will log back on immediately for you. How does it save server space?

I have died at bandos 2x due to the 6 hour log 'feature'. I don't see how the 6 hour log makes sense in any way. If you are legitimately playing then you will just log back on immediately. If you are botting then the bot will log back on immediately for you. How does it save server space?

the 6 hour one isnt about inactivity. It is about remdinding people to take a break as they have been sitting at the comp playing rs for 6 hours straight

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

no better way to get people to take a break from runescape than by downing them for chaotic weapon and 40m+!

:D

won't happen at bandos anymore w/ 15 min graves, but i could see it happen at armadyl

jk no one does armadyl anymore

Well still I don't see a point of a force log. A simple reminder that they have been playing 6 hours would be good enough. If people intend to play for long periods of time, logging them out automatically every 6 hours isn't gonna stop them, just annoy them and potentially cause problems in combat scenarios.

the 6 hour one isnt about inactivity. It is about remdinding people to take a break as they have been sitting at the comp playing rs for 6 hours straight

Perhaps something popping on the screen to warn you beforehand should be implemented, else you'll continue dangerous activities and might die as a result as shown above. Even just a 5 or 1 minute warning would allow them to log out and back in safely before they're autologged.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Maybe Jagex thinks the same way I do - if you've been playing for 6 hours straight, enough is enough already >.<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Ok then if you take that viewpoint, then what sense does it make to let a player immediately log in after he is forced logged out? Either force the player to take a break after 6 hours (which is a bad idea imo) or just not bother having the force log in the first place. The current purpose it serves is nothing.

The annoying thing about 6 hour log is time in lobby counts towards the 6 hours. Most people don't play 6 hour straight without at least switching worlds or logging to get a drink or w/e but the autolog doesnt take this into account if you just exit to lobby.

Bbk.png

Who actually plays for 6 hours without logging out? Don't you guys urinate? Also you realize that in 6 hours is 25% of your day and 33% of your day awake...

k just checking...

I hit the 6 hour autolog all the time.

Let's go for 2 times each day.

Who actually plays for 6 hours without logging out? Don't you guys urinate? Also you realize that in 6 hours is 25% of your day and 33% of your day awake...

k just checking...

I usually hit it a few times a week, usually on a weekend when there is nothing else to do. No point in logging out when you can urinate efficiently.

Trollbomber.png

k just checking...

It takes you longer than 5 mins to urinate? :ohnoes:

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

k just checking...

Might wanna get that checked.

k just checking...

Might wanna get that checked.

Well I can see possibly #2, but even then, there's the lobby. Lobby lets you afk for an hour. If you can't do THAT in an hour, yes....get that checked :shock:

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape

Perhaps something popping on the screen to warn you beforehand should be implemented, else you'll continue dangerous activities and might die as a result as shown above. Even just a 5 or 1 minute warning would allow them to log out and back in safely before they're autologged.

Guild Wars reminds you every hour how long you have been playing. Doesn't just boot you off >.>

Big_Stingman.png

A few years back the auto-logout was actually 2 mins. I petitioned nonstop for them to raise it to at least 5 minutes. And...we're here today.

Though I would love it if they gave you an option for "unlimited". That way more experienced players wouldn't have to flip back to the RS tab every couple mins, and less experienced players still have a choice whether they want that function or not.