Tip.It Times - 20th February 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Tbh I also love doing the "forgotten" stuff like burning shades (I have around 400 sacred oils to burn vyrewatchs :P) but I do see the point, they are dead. Well nothing will ever be completely dead in runescape but they are dead compared to other activities. And I do agree that jagex needs to give us alternatives and make sure the old ones won't get out of the date, not create something more efficient. :thumbup:

Sephy.png

Nice articles

@ An Urn-est Attempt- I do think the urns make more of a difference then people give them credit for, especially if used over the long term. They are well balanced and though they don't revolutionize anything, they are a nice boost that should become commonly used. I'm guessing this was the intent behind them. Players can already powertrain through the use of mousekeys to drop quickly, if Jagex wanted to baby them along like this they would add a "drop all" option to items. They have stated their reasons for not doing this, however at the moment I can't remember them.

I can't wait for the smithing update either, I stopped selling the ores and bars that accumulate in my bank, hope to have a decent stockpile by then.

@ Dying Content- Charm spirit hunting was intended to be niche, I doubt it was ever meant to become the new best way to train summoning. However if you are a summoning tank or a skiller it could be a fun way to train a little. It is a little ridiculous to expect every update to be groundbreaking. This can apply to most skilling updates that come along, and most quests. They add depth to the game, even if everyone doesn't use them. They let someone who has been camping waterfeinds for a week to take a break and collect less charms in a different way to mix it up. Options are valuable even if most people don't choose them all the time because they give variety to the game as a whole.

I think the best example going against your article is Castle Wars. It has almost useless rewards, can be costly and yet is immensely enjoyable for a large number of players. It has consistently been a popular minigame for half a decade. This goes to show that it is not so much the rewards as it is the quality of content which drives players to do things. That being said, the quality of content is the reason so many minigames are empty, not the exp rates. Temple Trekking may give more rewards then Castle Wars, but the reason it is empty is because it is simply boring.

Oh, and I used to fix the lights when I trained thieving there for a while, it's just not fun and not better then other fm methods so there is no reason to do it. I get the same mount of exp from an invent of magic logs with a barb horn then from ten minutes of trying to fix those stupid lamps.

Edit: Also, Ivy has destroyed woodcutting as a skill. I would HATE to see other skills made to be made AFK like woodcutting. There are AFK text based MMO games for people that don't actually want to play a game. Some AFK skills are good, again, it adds variety, all AFK skills is a horrible idea.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

i also like this updates very much, especially prayer urns for lazy ppl like me. but some of it are not useful unless powertraining.

you not mention about the things that do not work with smithing urn (silver, gold, blast furnace)

it is still from ore to bar, since that blurite can.

smithing updates, argh..... just hope that it is soon after such a long wait

Meh...most of those things that could be classified as 'dead' are for me, the funnest things in runescape. Vyre burning has been my little niche ever since I finished the seergeze quest, due to the fact that it combines treasure trail rewards with prayer/melee xp. Trouble brewing, well, it too is one of my favourite things. The game is overall fun/interesting, and the rewards? Snazzy pirate related items and bottles that offer what is essentially a 1-click teleport to cave horrors. Sure, many people may find this dead. Many people could also say that pking is dead though due to the fact that not "everyone" enjoys it. Overall, I partially agree with article one, partially agree with article two, and found article three an eccentric waste of my time.

div>

So in Racheya's article, it was mentioned that Jagex is working on a big Smithing update. Where is that coming from? Thanks.

It's been referred to in the past by many JMods, I can't remember when it was first mentioned but probably in some Q&A. It's sort of been common understanding that there IS a smithing rework/update/SOMETHING coming SOMETIME but... alas... :(

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Both articles were good. The fictionnal was really neat. great to the end, I liked :)

Some Mini games I just don't do, or care (dungeon comes to mind)

The urns, for me, was a great update. I kill abyssals a lot, so it's a bonus.

Really hope they have a super duper update for smithing soon

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

So in Racheya's article, it was mentioned that Jagex is working on a big Smithing update. Where is that coming from? Thanks.

It's been referred to in the past by many JMods, I can't remember when it was first mentioned but probably in some Q&A. It's sort of been common understanding that there IS a smithing rework/update/SOMETHING coming SOMETIME but... alas... :(

Early in 2010 they mentioned in a Q&A session that there would be a smithing update before the end of 2010. There wasn't so now we are all anticipating one to come soon.

Edit: Unless by smithing update they meant dungoneering, that would be typical Jagex, "Hey guys you can now smith armor in dungeons herp derp."

PM me in game anytime

Edit: Unless by smithing update they meant dungoneering, that would be typical Jagex, "Hey guys you can now smith armor in dungeons herp derp."

The 'high level untradable armor that goes all the way up to level 90!' turned out to be the armor in dung, so its possible :mellow:

The 'high level untradable armor that goes all the way up to level 90!' turned out to be the armor in dung, so its possible :mellow:

What are you on about, Dungeoneering armour is tradable and goes to level 99.

quit

you've missed a fairly important problem with urns in that they intentionally dont support the preferred methods for many things. Their low capacity means that you need to carry 4-5 on a slayer task making them unusable. They don't work for gold smelting (seriously, that one hit a sore spot for me since i mine my own gold), and for LRC you cant carry enough mining urns to last more than 20 minutes of your 6 hour trip (1 sum pot and 6 summons).

when you look at the surface, it's one hell of an overpowered exp boost: getting a considerable percentage of extra exp, and balanced by being quite impractical. Realistically I think many would be happier to have a slower fill rate, but a much large reward. if it took 15 times longer to fill and only got 8 times the exp, I'd probably be happier.

Creater of QuestRanker

"I hate it when my target's die laughing, makes me think my fly is open or something"

-Me

Great articles! Thanks for a good read. The second article was most interesting and reflects my thoughts. I also think all the old quests needs a major overhaul, give me exp rewards of the scale new quests are giving. And let people that have already done them get the extra exp later or via some sort of unlocking such as has been done with the wilderness quests.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Great articles! Thanks for a good read. The second article was most interesting and reflects my thoughts. I also think all the old quests needs a major overhaul, give me exp rewards of the scale new quests are giving. And let people that have already done them get the extra exp later or via some sort of unlocking such as has been done with the wilderness quests.

And how does that ensure that the content is used again?

No for, say, Temple of Mor'ton to be popular again there'd have to be a unique and useful reward that you could get... Perhaps something that uses up ALL 100% of your Sanctity (takes a while)... Although I could see a slight increase in rarer drops from the keys you get when burning the Vyre Corpses also work out...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Dying Content

In all honesty I didn't even know half the activities mentioned existed.

I would really like some kind of cleanup. Remove underused content like abandoned minigames or make them useful in some way: better rewards or more fun.

Urns

I have actually made all my urns myself so far, because it hardly costs any effort. Tele to crafting guild. Mine some clay. water the clay, and make your urns.

I have been experimenting with woodcutting urns. I have been cutting teak in Karamja, using juju woodcutting pots, urns, and burning the logs that didn't bank. I found it quite enjoyable although it was somewhat slower than ivy. I did end up with teak logs and special logs in the bank, and decent'ish experience.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

Maybe I misunderstood something(I haven't tried out the urns myself - not much time to play recently), but aren't the urns basically free xp for nothing? Just like effigies were? I'm sorry, I'm definitely not one of the guys who complains every time a skill gets easier, but honestly I hate those updates which only deliver more xp and NOTHING else.

Xp as a quest reward? Great!

New elite content with higher xp rates? Super!

Some FUN new minigame/D&D who offer an alternative way of training? Awesome!

But....Free xp for the sake of it? Honestly, where's the point? How does it improve your playing? Why did anyone waste developer time with that...?

Maybe I misunderstood something(I haven't tried out the urns myself - not much time to play recently), but aren't the urns basically free xp for nothing? Just like effigies were? I'm sorry, I'm definitely not one of the guys who complains every time a skill gets easier, but honestly I hate those updates which only deliver more xp and NOTHING else.

Xp as a quest reward? Great!

New elite content with higher xp rates? Super!

Some FUN new minigame/D&D who offer an alternative way of training? Awesome!

But....Free xp for the sake of it? Honestly, where's the point? How does it improve your playing? Why did anyone waste developer time with that...?

No, urns give a small boost to players willing to take the time and effort. They are far from free, for mining as an example they require a lot more banking. For slayer they require efficient inventory management. That being said skills max out at 200m exp. That means there is more then enough training for everyone. If you don't like them then by all means don't use them. The rest of us who don't like grinding skills with no content over 85 *cough*mining*cough* will use them to save us time in the long run.

Also they help fill up crafting, a seriously lacking skill.

PM me in game anytime

Enjoyed the article on urns, I've got to actually try those out though... I haven't played RS in a while. Fictional was nice, the end was obviously gobbledy[grime] though. :P (Firefox thinks 'gobbledy[grime]' is a word) Article on minigames missed F2P stuff, although I don't think there's any useful stuff to talk about in terms of F2P minigames anyway.

Good articles this week. :thumbup:

Fun fact: the fishing urn description says that it fills itself up with guppies. I'm not even sure how that works.

The shade temple is actually one of the more affordable ways to earn crafting and prayer exp for lower levels, while sacred oil itself can be sold off for a heavy profit.

If you're averse to teleportation, the ardy bank's pretty close to the pottery oven.

8f14270694.jpg

There's also one just east of Aubury's RC shop...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!