Tip.It Times - 27th February 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

first! :D

Can't escape the present: Well, I haven't played in 2006 so I don't really can say what it's like. But I think what people think back then was so much better is not how the game in itself worked, it was more the spirit of it. Jagex was smaller at the time and at least seemingly not so money-oriented as of today. Also, I think it had more of a "cult" game status back then that comes from not having good graphics and being told of only through players themselves(kind of like minecraft today).

Today, even though I haven't played back then...Jagex seems more distant somehow.

Why the negativity: Well, have you ever though about that this are simply your feelings because you personally like pking very much? For me, and from what I've seen from some others the general feeling is that some people at Jagex don't care as much about runescape anymore and only use it as a cash cow. There are several incidents to suggest this, one of them introducing wildy/free trade with no functioning bot detection system. We *do* know now that bots are back forcefully(I don't know when you wrote this article, but honestly even before the update it wasn't hard to guess tbh - there were plenty of people predicting exactly this.)

There are some other points of your article I disagree with.

The report abuse button: Have fun wasting 2 hours of your playtime reporting 100 bots at Aubury's on *one* world. Even if you do...what use if 1.it takes months until something happens 2.for some bots, nothing happens at all 3.most will just get rolledback slightly 4.even those banned can buy their accounts back?

The community using the economy to disable bots: Dream on. Nuff said, sorry.

I will happily provide Jagex with feedback and ideas, but only when I get the impression that it is of any use. From the way they are acting at the moment, I never even slightly had the idea that this would be the case.

Gotta agree, the DYK was awesome news to me. I usually use the number pad so probably won't take advantage of it much, but it's good to know at least.

Can't Escape the Present: There's no such thing as a golden era. 2006, 2005, 1999, or yesterday, Runescape's best times will always be up to the individual. When the game was new and exciting to them. The mid 00's saw a lot of new players coming in as Jagex expanded advertisement. So you have a large group of people out there who came in at that time, and when they think about thier best experiences it's going to be in that time frame. Give it a few more years and you'll undoubtedly see people ranting about how great 2010 and 2011 used to be.

Simark.png

*adds another notch on the belt for another weekly FT/Wilderness article*

So you'll take next week's featured article slot, then? :razz:

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The golden era of Runescape was when your friends played, you didn't grind, you did a little better than most of them, and you had everything you wanted at your fingertips.

The worst time in Runescape is when you know the levels, you don't have any friends, and you grind things out. To relieve yourself of the boredom you become active on forums and the like. 'Nuff said.

I'm not an efficienado.

So you'll take next week's featured article slot, then? :razz:

No he doesn't... I am...

And it'll be my last ever article about bots and RWT (and with good reason)...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I guess I liked the old RuneScape for its simplicity. Making money was simple, combat was simple. Now you have all this dclaws, korasi stuff and to make any sort of good money, you have to get lucky with boss drops. Also you have to spend hundreds of mills on herblore and prayer just to compete.

So yes, I miss the days where you use full veracs on the KQ, whip/msb and dds in the wildy.

But that being said, I don't mean RS isn't a good game today, all that content has added plenty of stuff to do, and I enjoy them.

Staurolite.png

Can't Escape the Present: I think those years were technically the best because there were higher quality updates which weren't nerfed. Examples: Barrows + Slayer etc. etc. there haven't been many updates I have liked these last couple years (catapult in castle wars + climbing boots update etc.). Having said that, there have been some amazing updates like ancient effigies, extreme potions, Nex and the dragon defender - which are and always will be, awesomesauce. More of those high quality updates are needed.

I do feel there has been a lack of updates this last year though, with more gaps in each month than usual. Whether this was because the main focus was on the wilderness/free trade update or something bigger like Stellar Dawn, we will never know. My only hope is that Runescape keeps running, because it seems they are trying to keep as many players in game as possible right now (banned account reinstatement, wildy/free trade and the profanity filter update, just to name a few examples).

I hope it isn't going downhill, because I plan on playing for many more years.

2vuhgcn.png

first! :D

Can't escape the present: Well, I haven't played in 2006 so I don't really can say what it's like. But I think what people think back then was so much better is not how the game in itself worked, it was more the spirit of it. Jagex was smaller at the time and at least seemingly not so money-oriented as of today. Also, I think it had more of a "cult" game status back then that comes from not having good graphics and being told of only through players themselves(kind of like minecraft today).

Today, even though I haven't played back then...Jagex seems more distant somehow.

Why the negativity: Well, have you ever though about that this are simply your feelings because you personally like pking very much? For me, and from what I've seen from some others the general feeling is that some people at Jagex don't care as much about runescape anymore and only use it as a cash cow. There are several incidents to suggest this, one of them introducing wildy/free trade with no functioning bot detection system. We *do* know now that bots are back forcefully(I don't know when you wrote this article, but honestly even before the update it wasn't hard to guess tbh - there were plenty of people predicting exactly this.)

There are some other points of your article I disagree with.

The report abuse button: Have fun wasting 2 hours of your playtime reporting 100 bots at Aubury's on *one* world. Even if you do...what use if 1.it takes months until something happens 2.for some bots, nothing happens at all 3.most will just get rolledback slightly 4.even those banned can buy their accounts back?

The community using the economy to disable bots: Dream on. Nuff said, sorry.

I will happily provide Jagex with feedback and ideas, but only when I get the impression that it is of any use. From the way they are acting at the moment, I never even slightly had the idea that this would be the case.

Tbh reporting the bots does work, I mean yes as I am a Pmod it helps with my reports as they get processed alot quicker, but bots only get removed if the community complains. As jagex is a company they have to make £££, and with bots bringing in a huge chunk of that that wont change. Unless as the point is raised, the community does something. If the entire comunity, or even just a large majority raised their voices Jagex would have to bow to their wishes as simply, if the paying members get pissed off, there goes a large amount of their income. Yes I know we all love cheaper items generated by the bots, but in the end it just leaves the older players sitting on top with newer players stiffled at the bottom.

So yes the community needs to work together, and the chances are very slim for that, espcially against bots, because simply - just how many high lv players have botted? I bet you more than a few...

But remember as paying customers Jagex has to take note of what is said by us. If we shout out for harsher punishment for botting, with deleting of bot accounts, they will have to comprimise for us...

It's not even totally about the Wilderness and it's the first one really since 6th Feb (unless you count the bot articles of the week after).

Just as discussion about the old wilderness often found itself in articles, discussion about the new wilderness will too. It's a pervasive part of the game, even more so is Free Trade.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Cant escape the present: "What is missing from RuneScape in 2011 that RuneScape of 2006 had? >.<!! It's not whats missing!! It's that theirs too many new updates, the beauty of '06 was the simplicity of the game!

The golden era of Runescape was when your friends played, you didn't grind, you did a little better than most of them, and you had everything you wanted at your fingertips.

The worst time in Runescape is when you know the levels, you don't have any friends, and you grind things out. To relieve yourself of the boredom you become active on forums and the like. 'Nuff said.

Heh. This. Honestly, there's certain things people always complain about: youth being lazy gossipers, the good old days....

Frankly, it all comes down to a certain innate dislike humans have for change. It's a bit complicated; I mean, if things change in a way that benefits them, they obviously don't mind. It's also a function of age; the older people seem to be, the less they seem to like change.

I think it has something to do with (a theory) on how fast people percieve time going... This isn't proven, but the basic idea is that how fast time seems to pass for you is relative to how old you are. So, as someone gets older, when changes come, they (relatively) change faster and faster. If that makes any sense.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Hi, usually I'm very content to read the weekly tip.it articles and maybe browse through some forum comments on them. Usually, I'm quite satisfied with the quality of the articles as well. It's been a very passive source of entertainment to me, but Article #1 is just driving me crazy enough to make me recover my tip.it account from '04 and post here.

Writing style: From what I saw, that's fine. Good job. It got me and kept me engaged for sure.

Content: Very frustrating to me as a reader. In a one-line summary, the article basically said to me, "what's so good about 2006, just give up now because Jagex will never roll back to those days." The question itself is fine per se, but there's a critical part missing to this.

Paragraphs 1-3

Its almost unheard of to live in the world of RuneScape without ever hearing people complaining about how good it was back in 2006. But what do they mean, and why must they constantly feel the need to tell everyone about it?

Well, its easy to see why they would do this.

Ok, author sets up a question with 2 parts: "what is so good about 2006" and "why do they keep talking about it". At this point of the article, it looks like the author will touch upon the "why". Then what's my problem? I'm still waiting on the author's take of the 1st part.

Paragraph 6

So this leads me to question what is so alluring about the past that some players cannot let go of it.

Ok, I've read down to paragraph 6 so far... still waiting on the "what". "Why" has been answered sufficiently. But really, what the heck WAS so great about 2006 that I don't know about that must mean so much to some people? (I was on a RS break during 2006 so this question drives me even more insane with curiosity and doubly frustrating that it's not answered by the half-way point of the article)

Paragraph 8

Although, that said, there is an issue - not with what's missing, but rather, with what has been gained.

Ok, so I understand that the author is arguing "while 2006 may have been a source of good times for some players, it's time to recognize that RS still has been fantastic since 2006 all the way to 2011, and the beauty of the gaming experience and the game itself is how it is constantly evolving with new content."

Now my mind is screaming: I DON'T KNOW WHAT MADE 2006 SUCH A MEMORABLE YEAR FOR PLAYERS SO I CAN'T FOLLOW THE AUTHOR'S COMPARISON OF "WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT RS NOW" TO "WHAT WAS BEFORE IN 2006"... I WAS NOT GIVEN A BASIS... AHHHHHHHH!!

Paragraph 9

However, there is one question left unanswered. Why is there constant complaint about the way 2011 RuneScape is, to the way 2006 RuneScape was?

T_T What a kicker to all the teasing throughout the entire article.

I am at a loss and there are 3 possibilities here that I can guess at as a reader:

1. Author is assuming all readers know "what's so good about 2006" already,
  2. Author does not know "what's so good about 2006",
  3. Author just forgot to mention it.

If...

1. Assuming is bad, especially with an audience as wide-ranged as tip.it's readers.

2. Then please, please, please state earlier on that the author does not exactly know "what's so good about 2006", or at least say, "this is the author's guess at what some players cannot let go of 2006".

3. T_T

-Thanks for reading, and thanks for the articles so far. Like I said, I do enjoy reading them quite a bit.

Nicknames: Sharu, Sharuka, Shar, Eupy

stub.jpg

What you say and what you do, no matter the medium, is still you.

So do all that you can to mend a heart, not break two.