Massive decrease in world population since update..

gordoarcane

Jagex 'earns' money when an advert from a subscribing company loads.

Bots don't funciton in a browser like IE or FF, hence the advert doesn't load.

That's what I figure, at least.

So, you're saying they use something like, what - swiftkit? Swiftkit doesn't load ads?

I'm lost here, and I really don't understand. :mellow:

From what I've heard about it, they use some sort of client which just wouldn't have ads on, like how you can download the SwiftKit client or Jagex's official client to your computer.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you're saying they use something like, what - swiftkit? Swiftkit doesn't load ads?

SwiftKit used to bypass RS front page and you could click straight into a world.

Now you click 'play' and go to the front page where you have to naviagte it and find the world you want - HENCE viewing the adverts on the front page AND the world page.

Bots go straight to a world - Dont see any adverts at all.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

SwiftKit used to bypass RS front page and you could click straight into a world.

Now you click 'play' and go to the front page where you have to naviagte it and find the world you want - HENCE viewing the adverts on the front page AND the world page.

I know that, for example, as I use the RS client from Jagex, that if I log into an F2P account, I see advertisements.

But a bot doesn't use ANY kind of browser/app that shows advertisements at all?

nyuseg.png

I know that, for example, as I use the RS client from Jagex, that if I log into an F2P account, I see advertisements.

Why would they? They're already cheating, it'd be silly for them to put in adverts! :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Why would they? They're already cheating, it'd be silly for them to put in adverts! :P

Sweetie -- is that just an attempt to be funny, or did you miss my point?

How does a bot operate within F2P Runescape if not in some kind of app/browser that does not have Jagex's advertising clients showing within it across the top of the screen?

nyuseg.png

They inject their client into the java part of the game only. Thus, ads, being html, do not appear in their client. Only the box that RS is in is seen on their client. Thats why i think jagex should make an html part to the side of the game to prevent botters. But i think thatd be too difficult for jagex though :S Not sure how you would encorporate it into the game but if they were forced to do some things outside of the java box theyd be stumped. At least for a while...

nashv.png

Pixel Signature Made By Me.

They inject their client into the java part of the game only. Thus, ads, being html, do not appear in their client. Only the box that RS is in is seen on their client. Thats why i think jagex should make an html part to the side of the game to prevent botters. But i think thatd be too difficult for jagex though :S Not sure how you would encorporate it into the game but if they were forced to do some things outside of the java box theyd be stumped. At least for a while...

Thanks for this, it makes more sense to me now. :shades:

nyuseg.png

The reason for the massive drop was because the update made the bot client outdated, and we had to wait for a new release :)

also, lol@people who say "I've heard..." when they've obviously used bots...

The reason for the massive drop was because the update made the bot client outdated, and we had to wait for a new release :)

also, lol@people who say "I've heard..." when they've obviously used bots...

Could jagex routinely (once or twice a week) do a simple update that "makes the bot client outdated"?

punitivedsig.png

I wonder if you would have used that word if you hadnt seen the picture of a tree stump 2 posts before... Just an interesting off topic thought of mine.

The_Diamond.png

1593th to 99 Farming - July 08.

I wonder if you would have used that word if you hadnt seen the picture of a tree stump 2 posts before... Just an interesting off topic thought of mine.

I highly suggest if your not already to continue your path your on.

Its also funny lol.

It has now been HOURS since the initial update and the world population is only @ 140K. Any explanation of client not loading, servers not responding is gone at this point The same time yesterday the number was hovering around 210K.

There you have it, really. 70,000 players LESS players wanted to play RS because there is a brand new quest to do? Makes perfect sense.

This is probably the estimate we have to "what percentage of rs population online are bots." By now, some bots would've have resetted by now and are at it again. So at least 30%-40% sounds about right. What a game we have...

OMG A BRAND NEW QUEST?????

My favourite thing to do.. in rs..?

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

I've been to karamja, f2p QC world, and there was almost nobody there.

Only one person went to stiles every 20 seconds or so, compared to the steady stream of lvl 3s from a week ago.

Maybe stream is not describing it enough, flood sounds more like it.

No more bot luring D:

Edit: Rune essence, raw swordfish, lobster and tuna (Most commonly botted f2p items) all stopped crashing on the 7th of february and started rising on the 8th.

Isn't this a sign that the bots stopped working on the 7th?

The update on the 9th (prisoner of glourphie) isn't really a reason to start buying those items at higher prices.

Sweetie -- is that just an attempt to be funny, or did you miss my point?

How does a bot operate within F2P Runescape if not in some kind of app/browser that does not have Jagex's advertising clients showing within it across the top of the screen?

They run a custom java client to launch runescape, not an ordinary browser.

crossed_body.png

To clarify, most bots just run the Runescape Applet. Imagine downloading the "Runescape[Caution: Executable File]" (Java does not have exe's but it's in a way similar) and basically they call the Java Runtime files to run the java file.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Bots don't login straight away (proper bots anyway) because it's a new loader app, eg, the version of the game itself, they need to update their client, so someone will have to de-obfuscate the client and such.

Edited by Laura
Please, no naming names in a negative light.