Um - is RWT not reportable any more?

Blyaunte

In any case, anything anyone ever says on the internet can't be interpreted as the truth ...

... and yet people get muted for such infractions all the time -- or used to.

Case in point. My brother-in-law plays as well. One evening, he went down into the Dust Devil's and forgot his facemask. He died and lost some reasonably valuable gear. He was so embarrassed at himself for doing such a noobie thing that, when he was trying to explain to another player where his valuable gear went, he lied and told a story that his son had been on his account and lost the gear.

That player reported him for account sharing.

He was muted and received a "black mark".

He should have read the rules and know account sharing is against the rules. And being honest with himself, dying on a game happens...

WAT?

On the parent centre, it used to encourage parents to play with their children under 13.

Is macroing still reportable?

Playing WITH your children at runescape at the same time is legal on runescape, but you playing at one time and your kid at some other time is not.

@sirl

There was some teenager being arrested because she said on twitter that she was planning a bomb attack on her school (which was quite obvsly a joke) and I think jagex can check your account and history to see if what you said was true.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old report abuse screen

110303220618.png

That's REAL old. But I can confirm just 2 weeks ago when I last reported someone who openly said "I bought my account" for RWT the option was there. I can't believe they've deleted even that. Just what the hell.... Are they ENCOURAGING people to RWT and bot now?

... and so, apparently, are 90% of the people posting in this thread. :mellow:

I guess people don't give a [cabbage] about it now. I guess anyone with rich daddy's credit card can go and buy all the Runescape gold they want and buy for themselves whatever gear/skill they want.

It is, indeed, a new "golden" age for Runescape ... <_<

nyuseg.png

You'll be able to report RWT under Encouraging, as well as Account Sharing under the same heading...And Multi-Logging.

Lol what?

Encouraging other to break rules can cover people trying to make others RWT, but thats it. Not confessions of RWT or any acts of RWT.

Multi-Logging - just plain wtf? How does multi-logging in ANYWAY relate to RWT?

Account Sharing only works for specific cases. Eg confession of buying the account ergo having shared it or of having paid someone to train it for them again sharing.

I'm not going to say much more than I already said prior, but you can report these things regardless. If you state that you bought 100M gold -- sure, who knows, maybe they can't check if you've gained a significant amount, but just by saying you did you're encouraging others to do the same. You know...Monkey see, monkey do and all that jazz.

People seem to be running on the idea that, if it's not on the report screen it's not against the rules. Things you've mentioned still are against the rules, just coupled in with the others. If someone's saying they bought gold...That's reportable. Any form of RWT is reportable.

RWT - Rule

Account Sharing - Rule

Just two links above for you. The rule regarding Account Sharing - contrary to several beliefs on here, they can check if you've been sharing your account. Of course, if you live under the same roof as another Scaper, there's going to be several problems with identifying that. But if there's a login from the UK on an account and then one on in the US, and this is constantly happening -- do you not think that would be something suspicious? Of course it is.

If someone's admitting to doing it -- then they are admitting that they may [We don't know if they are being truthful] be breaking the rules, therefore it warrants a report so Jagex can look into it.

Everything that was on the Report Abuse screen still, for the most part, is around. Just coupled in with other headings.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

That's REAL old. But I can confirm just 2 weeks ago when I last reported someone who openly said "I bought my account" for RWT the option was there. I can't believe they've deleted even that. Just what the hell.... Are they ENCOURAGING people to RWT and bot now?

I guess people don't give a [cabbage] about it now. I guess anyone with rich daddy's credit card can go and buy all the Runescape gold they want and buy for themselves whatever gear/skill they want.

yeah, because everyone who doesn't think a rule should be reportable thinks that the rule shouldn't exist and be enforced! they must RWT and share accounts themselves!

When you talk with them they report you....when you don't they still report you.

God i love the RS community :D

That's exactly my point. Any decent person would stop the conversion there, tell them that their views on the subject are different(that you respect rs rules) and move on, but oh no, you go behind others backs to report people to make yourself feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's pathetic.

Actually, i somewhat blame the player moderator system for this, as it encourages people to look for trouble where there isn't, and more often than not, innocent people get hurt because of that. And for what? I haven't seen the silver crown assosiation be any less stupid/nooby/greedy or selfish as the rest of us. Hell, even the report system on these forums is bogus in that those who don't report others are at a disadvantage, and when the insults carry to other threads, there is a likely ban waiting for you(or a warning, if you are lucky).

+1 !

Ive come across player moderators slagging of people, calling them noobsd or whatever.. and what do they actually stop?

and yeah i used to talk all the time in rs cos its best way to pass the time i find, but i was 1 black mark away from being perma banned just cos i was honest. screw players who report others for stupid reasons, especially a girl that just lost 30m/30$ which is quite a lot of money to some people.

ive had black marks for asking wat country people are from! screw over sensitive reporting. OP should stop reporting people for silly things.

maybe they should make player mods focus exclusively on bots.. i dunno thats the real problem, not someone sharing accs, buying some money from an rl friend or using offensive language (especailly not anymroe yay!)

oh wait but i remember the ops topic about the chat filtration update aswell :thumbsup:

player mods are definately pointless/ obsolute.

edit: like what you said about daddy's credit card. what a load of bull. most people are opposed to rwt, almost everyone bots. OBVIOUSLY, what people have a problem wiith is people like you looking and going out of your way to report someone. getting her account banned wouldn't have solved anything, so why bother, why ruin her day? she already lost 30$.

No no no, RWT is bad, but your worse, at least RWTers dont report everyone for no reason, at the end of the day id rather an unstable economy than for every player to be wanna be mods. id prefer every player to be bots than that.

paah

yeah, because everyone who doesn't think a rule should be reportable thinks that the rule shouldn't exist and be enforced! they must RWT and share accounts themselves!

flawless logic 10/10

C1Geq.png

No no no, RWT is bad, but your worse, at least RWTers dont report everyone for no reason, at the end of the day id rather an unstable economy than for every player to be wanna be mods. id prefer every player to be bots than that.

This. I'd rather play a game where people openly bot and cheat than play a game with a self-righteous (and in RuneScape's case, younger) player base that goes around reporting other players for every small thing that just so happens to break 'the rules.' Having to watch what you say out of fear of being reported is f**king stupid.

And I'm not trying to defend cheating whatsoever. It really does ruin gaming experience for many people. BUT zealous players going on a crusade against so-called 'rule-breakers' (not necessarily cheaters) are much worse and honestly should go to f*k.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'd rather play a game with a self-righteous (and in RuneScape's case, younger) player base that goes around reporting other players for every small thing that just so happens to break 'the rules,' than a game where people openly bot and cheat. Having to watch what you say out of fear of being reported is the best way to force people to be mature and not act like kids that think swearing is fun and a right. But that is just my opinion though I'd hope especially a lot of the older players (older as in 30+) would agree with me. Since if you do nothing against the rules then you have nothing to fear from being reported hence why I've never gotten a blackmark in 7 years of playing. :shades:

Hameigh.png

And how exactly do you suppose they enforce said rule, Captain Sarcasm?

a70c7.png

I suppose if you want to report someone for that, you can report them under Offensive Language or Encouraging because it will include the chat logs in the report. Since there's no other category I'm sure Jagex won't mind the fact that it was placed incorrectly.

j0xPu5R.png

[hide]

[/hide]

by using their RWT detection algorithms

(although they are probably only marginally more effective than wbm's)

[hide]

[/hide]

by using their RWT detection algorithms

I can't tell if that's more sarcasm or if you're actually serious. Either way, it's still funny.

How well are their algorithms working if a guy can literally say "I RWTed," and there still be sites up supplying gp4cash?

a70c7.png

it's mostly sarcasm

but wbms generate far more false reports and mutes/bans than the jagex algorithms do - which is what really concerns me

Which is why we need a more lenient ruleset. Less rules, less WBMs reporting for crap that shouldn't be reported, more reporting of actual crap, more cheaters banned.

And I can understand not wanting people running around reporting every tiny thing, but this person literally said that she had tried to trade GP for an xbox live subscription. How does doing something like that - while mining a star, no less - not deserve a report? It'd be like running into the New York Stock Exchange building yelling "HOLY CRAP MY DRUG DEALER JUST SCAMMED ME" and expecting nobody to give a crap.

Edit: My analogy was bad, so I replaced it.

a70c7.png

Breaking Real World Laws, on the third column, second rule.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

Breaking Real World Laws, on the third column, second rule.

So trading in real life is illegal? Good to know, i'll remember that next time i go to a supermarket.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Going over a number of posts, I'm going to generalize the opinions of those opposed to the OP's actions.

1) RWTing is bad. Or at least I haven't seen anyone state outright that they support RWT.

2) Okay, the person discussed probably did RWT. This was admitted very reluctantly. (?)

3) But, reporting is worse!

So far as I can tell, and as I originally expected, this seems to be motivated by some sort of juvenile "rebellion" thought process. Jagex is an authority figure, therefore going against them is cool because it's going against "the man". Support cheaters because they're cool for defying authority, and anyone who plays by the rules is lame and a suck up, since anarchy is obviously better. If Jagex can catch someone, then oh well, it happens, but don't tattle snitch report because we need to stick together against the nasty teachers po-po Jagex, who just want to spoil everyone's fun.

I'm fairly disgusted.

If you believe that the existing rules are there for good reason and agree with them, you should be prepared to report rule-breakers. If you believe an existing rule is wrong, say so and defend your position.

But if you really believe that the rules are good, yet rule-breakers should not be reported, then you'll need to do a lot better than ad hominem attacks calling people "wanna be mods".

It's obvious to everyone that Jagex can't catch all rule violations through automated systems. I don't think the person the OP encountered should be banned, but that isn't what we're talking about. Reporting just lets Jagex apply the same rules, fairly, to everyone. Thinking that the reporter is to blame for the rule-breaker's punishment is like saying that it's a witness' fault for a murderer going to jail - no, actually, it's the fault of the murderer.

If the rules are good ones, why shouldn't we do what we can to reduce botting/RWTing/etc?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

If the rules are good ones, why shouldn't we do what we can to reduce botting/RWTing/etc?

A report can, in no way be proof of rwting, and jagex has algorithms to detect them, and as evidenced by their removal of rwting from the list. If jagex doesn't want people to report for this(as it would be useless anyway), why go out of your way to be a rat? I have no problem with people reporting others for personal humiliation or some serious offense, but this topic is clearly about a rat being a rat.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

A report can, in no way be proof of rwting, and jagex has algorithms to detect them, and as evidenced by their removal of rwting from the list. If jagex doesn't want people to report for this(as it would be useless anyway), why go out of your way to be a rat? I have no problem with people reporting others for personal humiliation or some serious offense, but this topic is clearly about a rat being a rat.

1) We know that Jagex doesn't catch everyone by algorithms. Don't even try to say otherwise.

2) We know that the person the OP was discussing outright admitted to RWTing.

3) We know that RWTing is considered one of the more serious Runescape offences.

I understand, and agree with, people saying that 99.9% of reports for RWTing were probably bogus. That generalization does not apply to this case. If the OP had reported someone for RWTing just because they had a bunch of cash, but couldn't prove anything, I would agree that that would be dumb. That isn't what happened.

This topic is, apparently, about people who think that Jagex is the enemy of all Runescape players.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

1) We know that Jagex doesn't catch everyone by algorithms. Don't even try to say otherwise.

correct - however, it would seem as though you are suggesting that it would be better to catch 9 innocents in addition to 1 guilty than to let the guilty go free

2) We know that the person the OP was discussing outright admitted to RWTing.

admitting to rwting is not equivalent to rwting

3) We know that RWTing is considered one of the more serious Runescape offences.

[by whom?]

I understand, and agree with, people saying that 99.9% of reports for RWTing were probably bogus. That generalization does not apply to this case.

there is no proof that this person actually rwt'd. what you are suggesting is equivalent to considering a friend joking "i must have botted to get firemaking to 99 i hate that skill" to be equal to "i botted, report me and ban me".

This topic is, apparently, about people who think that Jagex is the enemy of all Runescape players.

fallacious

correct - however, it would seem as though you are suggesting that it would be better to catch 9 innocents in addition to 1 guilty than to let the guilty go free

[...]

admitting to rwting is not equivalent to rwting

Presumption of innocence is one thing, and something that I definitely support. I often see people reporting others for "botting" if they don't answer in chat, and I tell those people that failing to chat is no proof of botting.

It's something else entirely to twist presumption of innocence into a presumption that all confessions of wrongdoing are lies, and that any time someone admits to doing something wrong we should ignore them.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png